Was Magellan Autistic?

I'm currently reading this book and I gotta say first, it's great. Probably the best history book I've read.

I've not finished the book yet, but have read up to Magellans death (so about 3/4th the way). And I have to say my opinion of Magellan has really changed. The guy was a huge sperg.

A summary
>First quarter of the book is Magellan getting cucked by Portugal nobility time and time again
>He keeps going around autistically telling everyone and himself how important he is because he's some bottom dwelling nobleman
>Finally goes to Spain to get financed
>Agrees (even though he can never return to Portugal)
>Doesn't bother to learn Spanish
>Has to use translator for orders
>Total asshole
>Constant threat of mutiny
>Lets 1 guy keep disobeying him
>Gives death penalty to guy for being the top during buttsex LOL
>Even though it was widely going on with sailors at that time
>One failed mutiny leads to torturing of priest and another guy who had nothing to do with the mutiny
>Widely hated
>"Discovers" strait off coast of Patagonia
>Sends 2 ships to scout and they never return
>Bailed out on him to go back home LOL
>Make the journey across the Pacific anyways
>Didn't supply correctly so most of the sailors are dying of hunger and scurvy
>Starts thinking God sent him and he is bullet proof
>Stops in Malacca and Enrique (Magellan's slave) realizes he speaks the same language
>Realizes he was raised in Malacca before being kidnapped and taken into slavery by Magellan years prior
>Enrique is now inadvertently the first man to circumnavigate the globe due to previously traveling to Portugal from Malacca
>This fails to register with Magellan or is ignored one
>Meets king of Filipino island
>"Converts" 2000 islanders to Christianity (which wasn't part of the kings order)
>Tells King you can cut my head off if sick man doesn't heal after converting
>By chance actually heals
>Tells King he will ally him and bully other islands into following King

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YV_prVbkj4U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Everyone telling Magellan stop
>Wasn't part of the orders of Spain
>Magellan ignores them and orders attack on neighboring island anyways
>Says 1 Spaniard can defeat 100 filipinos a piece
>Goes in with 50 men and no backup because ships are too far off shore due to tide
>1500 Filipinos show up and Magellan gets BTFO
>Dies
>Most of his men watched from the ship cause they hated Magellan
>Funniest part is the Filipinos he brought with him watched off the coast cause Magellan told them they weren't needed
>Top KEK

Is there a more JUST character in history?

It's hard to take anyone seriously let alone understand them when Veeky Forums memes are used so often as verbs and adjectives, especially considering how liberally they are used. Sperged this, cucked that, autismo this, simp that...

If I posted in a normal way, I would be called a redditor

Only by closet redditfags. This is Veeky Forums, not memegag or whatever.

>1500 Filipinos show up and Magellan gets BTFO

My family is from Mactan, the Island whose Datu (Chieftain), Cilapulapu, was the one who had a quarrel with the Raja Humabon, the king Magellan allied with.

Magellan's death is literally celebrated there in an islandwide feast.

Spoiler alerts:

Finding this book - it's got everything! Five ships, a Portuguese captain with a Spanish crew, mutiny, men on desert islands, the maneuvers @ the Magellan Straits, the introduction of the Pacific Ocean, the long sail across, Guam, discovery and death in the Philippines at the hands of colonial resister Lapu-Lapu. Don't stop now.

Yah I read that too lol

Sorry for the spoiers

Stop being illiterate

I'd bet my right nut I've been on Veeky Forums longer than you. It is not necessary to memespeak all the time, especially with such overused words.

And just from a Veeky Forums perspective, applying modern concepts to people who lived hundreds of years ago is just dumb.

Gotta celebrate something, and let's be honest, Flips don't have a tonne to be proud of.

kek

>Doesn't bother to learn Spanish
>Has to use translator for orders
Spanish and Portuguese are very similar today, I imagined 500 years ago they were basically the same language. I guess that's not true.

Based, as Veeky Forums says.
>mfw I live in an industrial euro city and not in a coconut island

the thing about no translator is probably some modern putting his modern spin on it. They are largely mutually intelligible today, depending on dialect and intelligence/imagination of the speakers. You won't get everything, you'll miss/confuse some details, but you can get the gist.

This book primarily uses the diaries of Antonio Pigafetta - an Italian Venetian 'supernumerary' provided especially for the trip.

What is it with Anglos calling him Magellan? Who started this meme? Most other name remain the same, Magalhães might be complicated but not more than oriental names.

It sounds like a French transcription to me.

How do you pronounce that, for anglos like me? Ma-ga-yase?

The 'lh' is like Spanish 'll', which is like a longer "tongue-y" Y, and assuming the s there is softer.

Anyway, Magellan comes from (Church) Latin, not English. Back then giving people (or yourself) a Latin name was trendy, both for LARPing reasons and as a sort of badge because it emphasized being "in" and supported by the big boss himself (Pope XYZ). Ol' Admiral MAGA wanted to not be stabbed in the back out wanted to puff himself up a bit among his mainly foreign crew. Don't forget to stir in a little nuts.

Its too hard to explain

youtube.com/watch?v=YV_prVbkj4U

First couple of seconds, brazilian accent but close enough.

Aha, cool.

Her English pronunciation is sweet but kinda strange... dunno if it's the soft way she sings, her accent, or what.