Golden age of piracy

Why were all the greatest pirates British? Was it the nature of the Anglo to covet the wealth of others and steal it for himself?

(Pictured: Edward Teach AKA Blackbeard)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ching_Shih
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayyida_al_Hurra
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dutch_pirates
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Spanish_pirates
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:French_pirates
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Portuguese_pirates
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Pirates?wprov=sfla1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Janszoon
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Why were all the best known pirates British?
Fixed that for you, and it's because Anglo historians dominate the field. The greatest pirate of all time was Hayreddin Barbarossa, but Anglos keep memeing their Caribbean nobodies.

>Hayreddin Barbarossa
>high-ranking official in an empire
>pirate
ok

>All the greatest pirates were british
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ching_Shih

Brit Pirates couldn't even run fleets of tens if not hundreds of ships like what the Japanese & Chinese pirates did during the heydey of Asian piracy from the 1400s-1600s.

One even established a Pirate Kingdom in Taiwan after seizing it from the Dutch.

The most notorious pirates were British because the British empire dominated the world later and also dominated the popular culture. There weren't really much any special that British pirates did compared to French or Spanish ones. And of course eurocentrism is fair point in this debate as all North African, Indian, Chinese and Southeast Asian pirates are ignored completely.

>high ranking official in an empire
>pirate
Tell me how are these two incompatible again? Did you fall for the "pirate means an independent soul who answers to nobody" American brainletry?

Didn't Francis Drake defeat the Spanish Armada and he was a pirate? Oh excuse me 'Privateer'.

Every bong raft afloat was a pirate. Blackbeard just didn't make his payoffs, so he got whacked.

I bet you're a compatibilist who believes in "free will" too.

There is literally no difference between a pirate and a privateer.

I don't know what you're talking about retard.
>Piracy is an act of robbery or criminal violence by ship or boat-borne attackers upon another ship or a coastal area, typically with the goal of stealing cargo and other valuable items or properties. Those who engage in acts of piracy are called pirates.
Barbarossa was a pirate, end of story.

Privateers are sanctioned by one state and naturally cannot attack ships of said state.

>I don't know what you're talking about retard.
That's because you're an idiot.
>Piracy is an act of robbery or criminal violence by ship or boat-borne attackers upon another ship or a coastal area, typically with the goal of stealing cargo and other valuable items or properties.
Then I guess that makes the whole Ottoman Empire a pirate one, huh?

But the party they're attacking views them as pirates and they're tried for piracy if captured.

Pirate definition: a person who attacks and robs ships at sea

Just to clear up any problems

Koxinga is cheating: he only had the fleet literally took the entire Ming Navy with him when the dynasty fell to the rebels & Manchus.

Also he's not seen as a pirate in China/Japan/Taiwan considering his objective was to make Taiwan a base for Ming Loyalists and retake back the Mainland.

Tell me what do you think a pirate is, dumbass.

>a pirate is not a pirate if he has an employer

Yes but as privateers were at a time very important to many states' treasuries the distinction should remain. English privateers under Francis Drake stole enough gold and other shit from the Spanish to make up whole year's worth of England's expenditures.

Pictured is Bartholomew Roberts AKA Blackbart who captured over 400 ships.

The definition from above is nearly complete, apart from the fact that a pirate should be unaffiliated with any state. You are simply autistic. Stealing from you to enrich myself as an outlaw is an entirely different story from stealing from you in order to undermine your government's authority while under orders from my own. But you seem to be a brainlet that can't understand context.

Forgot pic

UK inheritance and social syructure created a great deal of educated and socially connected but economically deprived petty nobles et cetera that had a relatively easy access to Caribbean following the war of Spanish succession after royal navy laid off tons of officers and the likes.

Not incompatible, pic related was a Queen and a pirate at the same time
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayyida_al_Hurra

Spaniards btfo

Blackbeard is a meme, the greatest Anglo pirate of all time was Henry Avery, who literally robbed the Mughal treasure fleet and looted what would now be 70 million dollars in a single job. He wasn't working as a privateer either and was never captured.

>pirate should be unaffiliated with any state
That's something you pulled out of your ass.

This. Blackbart captured the most ships of any pirate in history.

Most English pirates were hardly nobles, they were usually pleb deserters from the royal navy.

Don't know anything about her, but if you're committing theft and robbery in the name of your state then you are no longer a pirate.

Because English historians dominated for a hundred fifty years or so.

The greatest destruction to trade in that period wasn't even in the Caribbean, it was Dunkirker Privateers destroying every civilian ship in England. It set English trade back 40 years.

>he doesn't know what a letter of marque is

Is there a better book on pirates than pic related? I mostly mean fun stuff with anecdotes.

Pretty sure the most successful pirates of all times in terms of value seized are these dudes.

Really just a fart in the wind compared to Barbary pirates.

British pirates are the most iconic, however there were tons of pirates from other nations in the Caribbean and beyond.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dutch_pirates
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Spanish_pirates
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:French_pirates
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Portuguese_pirates

The best pirates in modern times are in Southeast Asia. Operating around the Malacca and Celebes seas.

Somalis are literally the dumbest. High profile shit that gets them surrounded and promptly arrested/killed like holding the ship hostage or stupid daylight fuckery.

Meanwhile Southeast Asian pirates would simply attack your ship, kidnap anyone of value, steal anything of value, and leave it an aimless hulk.

Or follow tourist cruises, see where its docked, nab a white guy/girl in a club/brothel/wherever and send a ransom note sometime.

What absolute madman is trying to attack ships near gibraltar?

>Henry Avery
was he the one that defiled the mughal emperor's grandaughter?

Jesus christ you're dumb

I agree.

>filename
Good work user

John Paul Jones.

> "Whew, we're revolting against the world's greatest naval power. We'll need to sneak guns from France."

> "Nah, I'ma sail to England, full on attack, and gape their assholes and steal their ships, with my one ship."

Later:

>"JPJ, you helped us win the war but you were unfair in gaping England's asshole too much. Pls go become an admiral for Russia instead of making America a naval power."

Also, the bass line on How Many More Times is sick.

Pirates are super fucking gnarly. Yo, check this out: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Pirates?wprov=sfla1

>but if you're committing theft and robbery in the name of your state then you are no longer a pirate.
>Brainlet doesn't know that privateers and Francis Drake exist

>whag is barbary corsair

Guy was an Ottoman grand admiral and the head honcho if the entire north african corsair at the same time

>why were all the greatest pirates British
>Barbary Pirates
ok retard

Yes a pirate is an independent privateer

>no mention of barbarossa

As expected of the eternal an*lo

Why tf is genoa stealin the flag of England?

Yes

>Americans

I'm obviously being hyperbolic when i said 'all', though most seem to be.

Jean Lafitte
Hero of Barataria

Every great naval power had people offshoot into privateering and many privateers turned to pirating from other countries. Britain wasn't the only one.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Janszoon
One of my favourite pirates. The guy raided Iceland, of all places.

Yet the most notorious are british and arguably the most successful such as Bartholomew Roberts who has captured the most vessels in history.