Veeky Forums reading

What are your favorite historical biographies? Preferably not one of a U.S. president, but all are appreciated.

Also, general Veeky Forums books thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Personally, I love “Caesar: Life of a Colossus” by Adrian Goldsworthy (his Augustus book is quite good as well). In terms of others I hear that are excellent, there’s:
>Theodore Roosevelt Trilogy
>Napoleon: A Life
>Arrian’s “Anabasis” and Plutarch’s “Life of Alexander”
>Hitler by Ian Kershaw
>Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar
>George Washington and Alexander Hamilton by Chernow

Thanks! Any opinion on Stalin: Paradoxes of power?

This looks like a good a thread as any to ask this question.

What are some different American Civil War books out there? My dad wanted a new ACW book for Christmas and I didn't want to get him one of the usual textbook of boredom. Best example I can think of the kind of book I'm looking for would be Fallen Leaves: The Civil War Letters of Major Henry Livermore Abbott.

Unrelated I'm currently reading White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg. It's pretty interesting to see how poorer subsets of whites have been treated throughout US history.

Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant

mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ

For all my reading I don't think I've read any actual historical biographies from a trained historian about just one single dude or gal.

>Political theory
>Art of war is not included

Hannibal by Serge Lancel and also the one by Patrick Hunt are good.

Would anybody be interested in a Great Game book guide? I've been meaning to make one for a while but I don't know if there would be any actually using it.

>the SMERSH agent that takes a woman out on a date to the ballet before he arrest her
>the SMERSH agents who pretend to be cab drivers, pick up their "rabbits" and just drive them straight to the gulag
>the SMERSH agents that pretend to be an old friend you went to school with and "borrow you" for a second from your wife, and then just lead you away to jail
>the high end party officials who get tickets to a nice vacation, but once they get on the train, its really going to siberia
>the woman who goes to the police to ask what should be done with the neighbors crying child after both parents were arrested in the middle of the night, is told to wait for a while, and is then arrested herself
>the agents who arrest people while they are on the operating table in the middle of surgery, and wake up crudely sown back up in a prison cell

Absolutely, I've been recently getting into Russian foreign policy and the great game is something that intrigues me the most. So far the only book I managed to find that "sort of" tackles it is "The Eastern question, 1774-1923: a study in international relations" by Anderson, please do make one.

got anything that's not biographical or memoirs? I'm looking for more of a different perspective of the war as the book Fallen Leaves provides as it's a literal soldier's perspective. Something unique in it's take on the conflict.

if not anything from here theres the ones on navies, submarines, technology, cavalry and antietam that offers a different perspective

fuck I've been meaning to read that, currently reading heart of a dog

What about The Great Game: Peter Hopkirk? That one is AMAZINGLY gripping, great prose and insane storyline.

Link to last thread?

thanks that might actually be the route to go since my dad was a Navy Corpsman during Vietnam he might find something on civil war battlefield medicine interesting.

Can someon recommend me a good book about WW2 Eastern Front?

Is it like a narrative of one person? If so then I'll pass, I want more of the "Big picture", or is that how it's written?

>capital
>capital is one book
>political theory

Very much so. Thank you.

Can anyone recommend me good 18-19th century books on European honor codes and warfare? Things like the Prussian militaristic culture etc.

I remember someone recommending a journal by a French general(or something) because it was basically supposed to show that some of these men during the Napoleonic era basically lived for war.

Got interested after I watched The Duelists yesterday.

Bump

Just came in today. I'm so erect

This one about Lincoln's assassination and the ensuing chaos is pretty good

Bump

It's a big picture most definitely! It's literally exactly what you're looking for. Br

It's a big picture most definitely! It's literally exactly what you're looking for. British and Russian perspective.

Although I love the list provided, I do advise

>Leviathan
>A Treatise of Human Nature

When understanding why the American Revolution occurred and where this desire for a united representative democracy comes from, Common Sense, Two Treatises, Leviathan, and Human Nature are all incredibly important works. 3 of them offer a positive view; Leviathan by Hobbes gives the opposing view of social contract theory. That kings rule for a reason.

That's at least my opinion. I'm in a course writing a test thesis and it's on political divide. I've used these pieces as the foundation and 'enjoyed' (i.e. found them useful) them thoroughly. Recommend as a first-hand account/primary source.

Any good biograpgies on Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, or primary sources from german east africa during ww1?

Bump

Any good books on Enrico Dandalo?

The French Revolution was a mistake, stop giving credit to the writers who partook in it. I don't see any Evola or Spengler there, by the way.

Isn't there a primitive kind of social contract outlined in Leviathan? That we the people make a compact(basically the social contract, if he doesn't use those explicit terms) to live under a sovereign?

Bump

Pic related is a book I re-read every couple of years. If you're interested in anything related to Communism or need a quick rundown of any country that's been communist (voluntarily or not), this book's got you covered

Bump

Any good books on the Ptolemy kingdom?
Egypto-Greek culture is pretty interesting.

Ancient warfare magazine covers it pretty decently. Their pdf's are cheap. And they always include lists of books to read.

Will look'em up.
I still wish for more info though.

Fiction recommendations should go in Veeky Forums

Alright I also got these two lists, but I haven't read anything on them save that magazine, so I can't vouch for what is good on these lists.

fuck off leftypol

Shit, thanks man.
I wish I could contribute more to this thread.

If you end up reading a fair amount of shit on the Ptolemaic kingdom, just make an approachable list of books (such as pic related) rather than these monstrosities. I'll be making one soon for a general Phoenicians/carthage list.

Add Ostrogorsky's "History of the Byzantine State", now.

>leftwing feminists = mass murder

I challenge you to find a single example of genocide/mass murder/catastrophic loss of life perpetrated by feminists

My favorite biography is Simon Girty the Wilderness Warrior by Edward Butts

It's a short biography detailing the mans life on the frontier. From his adoption by the Seneca's and working as an Interpreter for the Americans to his defection to the British during the Revolutionary war, making him one of the most villanized figures of the era second to Benedict Arnold.

Also got me into checking out The Frontiersmen by Allan W. Eckert which i have mixed feelings about.

Just received a signed copy of this one

> monstrosities
as the maker i agree, the ptolemy charts are ridiculously long even by my standards. hopefully someone could make something shorter. i think a problem with egyptian history in general is it has preserved shit ton of records throughout all its history on account of its unique climate. compare this with the seleucid list which has not nearly as many (partly cause i think a lot is in german and french)

>being so retarded you miss the point

heres a fun homework assignment though. Go look up who Erin Pizzey is.

I just finished Xenophon's Hellenika and I'm not sure what to read next. I've already read about Alexander and am wondering if I should switch over to books on Roman history now or if anything noteworthy is still to happen in Greece after Alexander's time or if the main focus of "western history" switches to Rome here.

Books I've already read:

The Landmark Herodotus
The Landmark Thucydides
The Landmark Xenophon
Alexander of Macedon by Peter Green
Ghost on the Throne by James Romm

I understand that Dividing the Spoils by Robin Waterfield goes some decades further than Ghost on the Throne, but I'd be retreading a lot of material in reading that.

i think it'd be worth your time reading one general work on the hellenistic period/states because they laid the foundation for making the eastern mediterranean greek speaking for the following two millenia and by extension creating a distinct branch of christianity and traditions distinct from the west found in egypt and the levant.

And i didn't mean that they are bad, I was just talking about entry/approachable. This lists are awesome for finding very detailed sources. I just mean compared to a list to get somebody into a topic.

yeah i 100% understand i take no offense. the difficult part is bridging the divide between concision and thoroughness. a balance can be struck between the two but i think it's also great if two can exist besides one another.

Ya, that's why any lists i make will just be title like, "an introduction to xxx". Figure about a 10 book limit would be decent for that. Some primary/historical sources, general works, than specific important events and people for that topic get a book each or something. Figure if there is a temolate, others can slap together their own, because I am only knowledgeable is a few areas.

What are some good intro-tier books about the Bronze Age in Europe and the Near East? Also is the "Oxford History of Ancient Egypt" good?

Here's a book collection for the near east. It does blend into the iron age though. Eric Cline's book on the bronze age collapse is worth reading.

Depends how introductory you want. Babylon: Mesopotamia and the Birth of Civlization by Paul Kriwaczek is a nice easy read about Mesopotamia from the start of civilization up to the Persian conquests, but it might be more general than you're hoping for.

Yeah, that's about the level I was looking for, thanks. Is there anything of the same level that revolves around Bronze Age Greeks or other Europeans?

Haven't read this yet but it was recommended to me. There isn't much on other europeans other than more general PIE work.

Barry Cunliffe's "Europe between the oceans" would probably have some useful things. He has a fantastic further readings section for each chapter typically.

The Horse, the Wheel, and the Language is also helpful.

They just released the Landmark Julius Caesar last week. Though if you want to start from the beginning of the Roman period, check out Livy Books 1-5 from Oxford.

Polybius is a must if you do start Rome.

Yeah that came in the mail last week. From what I understand Julius Caesar is pretty late in the game and I'd like to understand Roman history in general before starting it. I have the Penguin Classics "Livy - The Early History of Rome Books I-V" Translated by Aubrey de Selincourt. Seems like the most popular edition although I've seen people badmouth Penguin in the past.

Same here in that I have the Penguin edition.

Just keep in mind Livy is rather dramatic. Polybius, on the other hand, is considered by many the most reliable historian of antiquity. Livy is still important to read, but just keep that in mind. Also, why didn't you get the landmark Arrian?

I read Alexander of Macedon by Peter Green first, so I went out of order there and wanted to go back to the beginning. It sparked my interest. I started Herodotus on the G.C. Macaulay translation and was doing fine until Book 2 about Egypt. I couldn't take how confusing and overwhelming it became with all the places I had never heard of being thrown around on every page, so I started over with the Landmark edition, which has included maps every few pages and plentiful footnotes.

I did like the flair the translation had though:
>THIS IS THE SHOWING forth of the Inquiry of Herodotus of Halicarnassos so that neither the deeds of men may be forgotten by lapse of time, nor the works great and marvelous, which have been produced some by Hellenes and some by Barbarians, may lose their renown; and especially that the causes may be remembered for which these waged war with one another.

Compared to Landmark:
>Herodotus of Halicarnassus here presents his research so that human events do not fade with time. May the great and wonderful deeds—some brought forth by the Hellenes, others by the barbarians—not go unsung; as well as the causes that led them to make war on each other.

Can anyone recommend a good book on Feudalism?

Feudalism is a really vague concept that varies tremendously with time and area. If you're looking for something that gives you an idea of how much of a clusterfuck things could be, I'd suggest some kind of case study of a prominent feudal state like Peter Wilson's Heart of Europe (about the HRE).

Thanks, it's because the concept of feudalism is so vague that I have no clue where to start. Thanks for the recommendation.

here's mine. A list compiled from asking anons here and using my judgement and online reviews for something that resembles books that are good overviews of certain topics I was interested in. I'm about to finish Napoleon A Life which is 10/10. I'm jumping around this list and I need to add a few other books on to the list as well, but will be reading Maximillian & Carlota after wrapping up Napoleon. Also, I'm in Architecture with a history hobby, so I guess you can categorize my list as introductory(?).

only qualm i have is the white spot on the bottom that triggers my autism. i suggest making it black and putting some title like "Veeky Forums recommended chart or write something akin to what you write in your post explaining what the chart does

>african kaiser
I cannot recommend this book highly enough, Lettow is my fucking hero.

For an understanding on why feudalism is such a controversial concept and most respected historians don't use it anymore, go to the source. An article called The Tyranny of a Construct by Elizabeth Brown. Then follow up with Fiefs and Vassals by Susan Reynolds.

Bump
Are there any good Russian or Spanish Civil War books?

>Only two books on antiquity
I weep. My one serious comment would be this list has no real focus, other than books you think are good.

I finished napoleon a life today. Such a good book. I felt really emotional at part where english ambassador says napeloeon is like ceaser and alexander in response to that napelon gets `moist` eyes. Poor fat dwarf`s dream became true.

Did you even read his post? He even says that.

I did. Am I not allowed to reaffirm that as the one issue I see with making that a list? I would split it up based on certain topics.

I looked over his list and he organizes it somewhat chronologically, which is pretty easy to figure out and that he puts the Americas and Africa stuff in separate rows away from the Euro-centric stuff. You just have autism, and if that is the case, make your own list. His list is pushing more towards recommended "overall Veeky Forums lit", not a list on specific topics.

Concerning accusations of autism, you are the one getting butthurt that an user made a simple comment about somebody's list. Anyways, I'm just going to post book lists so this thread doesn't get derailed.

You could just read Livy's account

Polybius > Livy