Is philosophy dead?

It seems to me that about any philosophical concept we can come up with has already been done before decades to millennia ago, and probably better. Is philosophy stagnant?

Other urls found in this thread:

yhwhallah.wordpress.com/
nist.gov/pml/weights-and-measures/metric-si/si-units
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The same applies to history books. It's very hard to put a new spin on things these days, since someone else probably did it before.

Pretty much. I believe some post modernist (or maybe neopragmatist?) philosopher said that philosophy is just a literary genre these days.

Not quite. Since history is constantly being generated and new archaeological finds allow for novel conclusions.

>listening to post-modernists

give anarchism, property rights, self ownership, nap a go. make human action aristocratic like this, burn all who defy as an enlightened mob at the pitchfork and torch

Brainlet

Those are all 19th century ideas or older.

I don't think it is enough to "come up with a philosophical concept" but rather that concept must be explored and taken to its furthest possible conclusion. I think the issue is that most people simply don't want to continue the dialogue and exploration of concepts. We haven't reached a point where we can say, metaphysics is done and completed. However we have come to a point for the most part whee people say, why bother with metaphysics. There is nothing inherent in philosophy that has caused its "stagnation". It is simply a decrease in interest due to the over emphasis on practicality, productiveness, usefulness in a career, or whatever you want to call it.

Overshadowed by the shitshow. Still on the shelf and as fresh as that underage girl you've been eyeballing.

True to an extent, but there's always new history happening all the time and new documents and artifacts to uncover with older history.

In both cases, history and philosophy, there's always the chance to apply current outlooks and reactions to these subjects.

This, education has changed for the worst as gifted people are funnelled into finance and such other ((epistemological)) studies by light propaganda stemming from corporate/state shills.
The German mandarins will continue to to have every last laugh as our own minds are taken out from under us one by one.

>some post modernist (or maybe neopragmatist?) philosopher said that philosophy is just a literary genre these days
he's a brainlet that doesn't know/understand what philosophy is

Science has taken a huge bite out of philosophy. Why would I want to study metaphysics when I could study quantum mechanics?

>Why would I want to study metaphysics when I could study quantum mechanics?
why would you want to study anything when you could study anything else?

Employment vs debt

Philosophy has never been a viable form of income for a large number of people, and anyways it seems like user meant that philosophy is useless when compared to quantum mechanics.

people have also walked before so you might as well cut your own legs off, trust stem guys to make you new, better ones, see where they take you

the intellect needs to be taught how to think or its just a midless mechanoid, it might as well be a blind heap of clockwork tumbling down a endless staircase

>any thing new is merely so old no one remembers it

to constantly invent warm water, to ask questions about the questions asked, to allways heed the constant problem and allways make solutions anew, thats what its about, again and again, else darkness and death

It seems heavily mined, but I bet there's still room for progress. It's just that it's a lot harder and the current intellectual climate insn't up for it.

At this point a lot of philosophy probably needs to be informed by advanced science. Neurology in particular. But to do that you have to have an expertise in both neurology, or whatever, AND all advanced philosophical texts. And the number of people who have that are very few. Fewer people that could do this take philosophy seriously. They think basic positivism and their gut is all they ever need to think about.

I bet there's also a problem with assembling all the philosophical texts in one innovative mind. Due to philosiphy's lack of empirical clarity it's hard to boil things down into an elementary school textbook form. You have to listen to the whole conversation, which makes the required reading huge. Someone might have already had X idea, but you've never heard it, at least in full, until you go looking to see if anyone else had this X amazing idea. That makes it hard to synthesize from the already great ideas.

Woah so smart.

no it's just sleeping. don't wake it. humanity isn't ready yet

Philosophy is stagnant, and develops in short but powerful bursts. Considering that it is the most generalised form of theorising, it is unsurprising.

Think. Fast. Wait.

Siddhartha

There will be a resurgence of philosophy when he have cybernetic mind augmentations and humans will be able to comprehend ideas they were incapable of imagining before, or imagining only in the most vague and abstract sense.

Six (6) possible ways. Six (6).

Siddhartha

What do you use quantum mechanics for without some kind of guiding ideology or philosophy?

I think what user means is he is ideologically vapid and is conditioned to do what his masters tell him to do.

There's philosophy as simple as the various Greek ones about how to live a happy satisfying life and fulfilling your basic needs. How does quantum mechanics do that, except that is fulfills the needs of another?

Greetings, Your Quantum's Off
yhwhallah.wordpress.com/

Siddhartha

>hurrrrrr

I think it is more that other sciences keep chipping away at the important questions and philosophy can't come up with new ones. Or new methods.

Six (6) possible ways. Six (6).

Siddhartha

Nothing is new anymore, let alone new forms of thought. Even the seasonal anime I watch feels generic as hell. Same with vidya. I think it's because our society is in a perpetual state of decline.

nist.gov/pml/weights-and-measures/metric-si/si-units

Steradian Radian Pi
Steradian Pi Radian
Radian Pi Steradian
Radian Steradian Pi
Pi Steradian Radian
Pi Radian Steradian

Say Ten (10)
Old Serpent

Here is a philosophical question for this thread
What is a true "free thinker"

The kind of thinker that uses his transcendental radical freedom to think about the absurd which others would dare not.

I bet people were saying the same thing when post modernism wasn't yet a thing and yet here we are.

A person who thinks freely or independently
one who forms opinions on the basis of
reason independently of authority...

Don't go there!