What is the Value of Mormonism to the US?

Ive spent hours on end researching mormonism and its history. Does anyone have any input as to the history of the smith family and their situation? In technicality What made mormonism come into existence? Why were they being killed and hunted if they were another religious crowd?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnosis.org/ahp.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Corp._of_the_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-Day_Saints_v._United_States
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_Smoot_hearings
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_vengeance
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_in_Relation_to_Service
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Joseph_Smith
fairmormon.org/answers/Main_Page
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it came into existance because a notorious swindler and his followers were chased out of town, and instead of changing his ways larped as Moses and settled his people in Utah making up a religion mostly as he went along. The value? Absolutely none. They're pretty rich though.

>In technicality What made mormonism come into existence?
Understanding what American culture was like at the time is a big part of understanding where Mormonism comes from. It's almost the perfect product of its particular time and place. Joseph Smith combined pieces of pop culture at the time (like the mound builder controversy, and the idea that Israelites had settled in the Americas), and some of the attitudes that emerged from the second Great Awakening, and created something to perfectly appeal to the people familiar with its context.

>Why were they being killed and hunted if they were another religious crowd?
Because after Mormonism started to grow, it turned into something that wasn't just "another religious crowd." People at the time were used to different denominations popping up, but none of them were as aggressive or tyrannical as Mormons. Polygamy also had a lot to do with it. Smith ended up with a hugely inflated ego, and turned into a stereotypical cult leader. He eventually starting making demands on the federal government and would often be deliberately antagonistic towards people in surrounding communities.

>Ive spent hours on end researching mormonism and its history.
Time wasted.

gnosis.org/ahp.htm
Just read this link OP, assuming you haven't already.

Ive been reading it using old language. All I can understand is that it came out of the 'pleitos durados'. Stretching from John Quincy Adams to John Tyler. Apparently the history of our declaration of independence is that the richest person in Europe died and left a only a female heir. The US split into two religious and the non religious. The non religious thought the religious were stupid. Which is the war that occurred. in reality US independence wasnt accepted until 1812. From what Ive read after the war the non religious realized a thing. They werent the children of their non religious fathers but their mothers priests and shepherds. Who they would screw behind closed doors. It started a time called the pleitos duros. Meaning they were accused of claiming wrongful inheritence. Their inheritence was another. So from Quincy Adams to Tyler men rose to kill off the others' rights.

So mormonism became the land dispute itself. Joseph Sr confessed he had 5 out of marriage. And she confessed she 7in or out of marriage. Apparently Joseph Sr was bad temperament. And loved injuring her down there. He realized he had a lust for blood.

>telling fortunes for money has anything to do with religion
>this was illegal back then
>not knowing whether or not he may have been right with his fortune telling
>larped as Moses and settled his people in Utah
That was Brigham Young retard, and he never actually claimed to be Moses that's just a nickname, Smith was murdered in jail in Illinois in 1844 by wiggers in blackface cause muh blasphemy and wrong religion which is also why he was in jail at that time.

The Mormons are a cult.

They were a new religion and that's always heavily scrutinized. They also had full equality for all races at first which was a no no back then and it's interesting how Smith was murdered by dudes in blackface. Brigham Young barrned blacks from the priesthood until further notice (this lasted until 1978) as they believed there was a great battle in the premortal existence where blacks were fence-sitters and as such God cursed them. The Mark of Cain is a sign of protection as Mormons justified slavery and some had black slaves under the curse of cain which included Indian slaves in Utah as there was already a slave trade between the various tribes and the Mormons believed slavery could be used to take in colored kids out of poverty and desperation but this came to an end in 1862. Most famously, there was polygamy, officially ended in 1890 and weeded out through the 1900s especially after the Reed Smoot hearings. There used to be an oath of vengeance against the US for the treatment of Mormons until the 1930s and a blood oath where if someone spoke out about certain aspects of Mormon rituals they'd have their throats slit ear to ear (ended in 1990). There's also a lot of odd similarity between Mormon rituals and Freemasonry which is controversial.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Corp._of_the_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-Day_Saints_v._United_States
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_Smoot_hearings
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_vengeance
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_in_Relation_to_Service

>cause muh blasphemy and wrong religion which is also why he was in jail at that time.
Not really. Smith was in jail for inciting a riot and attempting to flee the law. Beforehand, a few of Smith's followers realized he was a con man and decided to start a newspaper to expose him and tell everyone about how Smith was abusing his power to practice polygamy. Smith was pissed about this, and ordered a mob to smash the paper's printing press and vandalize its office. After a warrant went out for the riot, he fled Nauvoo and only came back when his community accused him of cowardice.

The people around Nauvoo might not have liked the Mormons, but the reason he was constantly in trouble with the law is that he regularly abused his power to silence critics, incite violence, and break the law. There were valid legal charges against him, it wasn't just religious persecution.

No
That paper alleged Smith of practicing polygamy and accused him of wanting to make himself a theocratic king.
>The destruction of the press led to charges of riot against the Smith brothers and other members of the Nauvoo City Council. Warrants for his arrest were dismissed by Nauvoo courts. Joseph Smith declared martial law in Nauvoo and called on the Nauvoo Legion to protect Nauvoo. The brothers voluntarily traveled to the county seat at Carthage and surrendered to the authorities to face the charges. After surrendering, the brothers were also charged with treason against Illinois for declaring martial law. The brothers were in the Carthage jail awaiting trial when the mob attacked.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Joseph_Smith
Dude was trying to be compliant and had good reason to declar martial law but "lol fuck Mormons anyway XD"
/r/exmormon ----->

From what I was told by US treasury is that the Smiths left to Latin America. Due to the Golden Pleitos. It let them through ancestry get war time recover land and money. The list of soldiers. However im assuming what had happened is that people began killing eachother off. Especially during a between two presidencies. Immediately after Jackson. Some accuse these Presidents of not being estates but companies that put out hits on entire claimant families from the soldiers list. In turn theyd begin selling the land and identities of soldiers to northern europeans so for a long time northern europeans hunted the descendants. That means the Smith family had to flee down south where they could establish peace and live amongst those whom were also hurt.

You realize that nothing you're saying disagrees with what I said, right? If you want to paint Smith as a perfect angel, you can, but the story is pretty clear for anyone to look into.

Apprently after reading there seems to be a change of tone and characters. It seems lile the 'mormons' were hunted by their scandinavians. Read some of the stories and it seems Joseph Smith fed his family the meat of his enemies.

that's alright
they're only gonna be remembered as lmao polygamy anyway

Ah yes, the ol' "b-b-b-but what you said does'nt contradic me when it clearly does" followed by
>If you want to paint Smith as a perfect angel,
which he was and was my point which refutes what you've said making your above statement false
>but the story is pretty clear for anyone to look into.
I looked into more than you have, you probably get your info from /r/exmormon

>ywn live in an alternate TL-191 timeline where the US Government initiates a full scale genocide of the Mormons and it becomes a parallel to the Holocaust

feelsbadman

From what I heard William Smith fled the country. He became a merchant somewhere around the caribbean. Dont know if its south america, central america or some island. But legend has it the recipients would get pissed because he'd send a black man as himself to solve any dispute or matter. So his lineage was written off.

Rumors are that some of his grandchildren were murdered for whipping their kids. Apaprently tte family didnt whip slaves yet they whipped their kids like one.

just as valuable and worthless as the rest. i do not. i don't know. assholes.

the man was basically a snake oil salesman, and in this case of his "religion" a conman

mormopalooza sounds pretty rad

Mormons are natural bootlickers.

>tfw only state to kill Mormons for the glory of God and sport

>mormons kill the adults and steal the children from a wagon train from your state on the rumor that they were from that town

Book of Mormon was a pretty nice play.

I must be dumb or something because half of this thread looks like something from /x/

Mormonism is basically /x/-tier, so...

you can't just post your oc in every thread

>hours on end researching mormonism
Means you read a few wiki articles?

Remember that time the Mormons started murdering settlers passing near Salt Lake, and the US army had to march out there and siege the city? Good times.

>mormons aren't savages

I live a few hours away from Salt Lake City, Mormons are a huge part of my community. They're nice people, but they're very puritan when it comes to their lives, which can be good or bad. In high school the Mormon kids would always say 'fetch' instead of 'fuck' like a normal person.

Mormons are the boot.

fetch?

why not frick? that's what a normal kid says instead of fuck

>mormons
>normal kids

That never happened. If you're referring to the Mountian Meadows Massacre that was in Southern Utah (SLC is in the Northern part of the state) and Ft. Douglas was established during the civil war not because of Mormon resistance but for protection against Native Americans which hostiliites increased as soldiers had previouly left Utah to fight the war so they had to have troops from Cali to come in.
ITT faggots who get their info from South Park
fairmormon.org/answers/Main_Page

>unironically linking to a terrible mormon apologist page
Don't you have some temple garments to wash?

I find the Mormons so interesting and I think they best capture the aesthetic of Americana.
>magic underwear
>gaudy decoration
>puritan
>latent racism
>little culture or history
>spreads everywhere and replaces actual culture
Gotta give'em props for at least being clean and nondegenerate.

get thee to a nunnery

I myself am sort of a square, so I can sort imagine being capable of hanging out with these people, but I would dislike the morality policing and I really do prefer to swear sometimes.

Usually I'm known as the square.

>aesthetic of Americana.
mormons aren't the only american

Southwest in general is extremely aesthetic and Mormons are just a part of it. It's that pioneer spirit combined with beautiful nature.

Mormon here

It seems the pioneers were a huge help in fulfilling "manifest destiny" as it where.