Tell me what one can do with a history degree?

Tell me what one can do with a history degree?

wipe his ass with it

I don't know but post more late roman army pictures

nothing don't be an idiot like I was

major in something useful and minor in history, double major if you must it's really not that difficult

My friend is doing a history/teaching thing, but can't really think of anything else.

Go to graduate school for research.

Since this is a shit thread I'll just ask here: Did the Byzantines still refer to themselves as the Roman Empire, or what the hell did they call their country?

Travel though time and space
Illuminate dark places
Subdue dragons
Tame tigers
vanquish monsters

Basically anything you want. Most employers these days just want a degree with a good mark, as long as it's not in something ridiculous like feminist dance theory or freshwater yachting.

I have an MA in history and I work in a library, but I get my historical fix by submitting articles to journals and running a reasonably successful YouTube channel (just hit 25,000 subs, woop)

They always referred to themselves(The government at least) as the Empire of the Romans

This desu. Having a stem major and an arts minor is great for a resume because it demonstrates diversity in educational background. Got into my MBA and into internships despite little corporate success because I had these two aspects on top of a decent GPA.

Yes. Romanoi was their preferred term for 1000 years, but they started to switch to Hellenes again after their sack in 1204. They still definitely though of themselves as Roman though.

>Did the Byzantines still refer to themselves as the Roman Empire
Yes, right until the Fall of Constantinople.

What channel is it

get recruited by the legends to travel through time on the waverider and fix anachronisms.

become a meme master

What's the channel user?

shoot myself

This. You can shitpost on Veeky Forums with a degree of legitimacy

they were still referring to themselves as rhomaioi up to Greek independence, so yes

What's your channel???

you can collect unemployment :)

Metaphors, the bane of the educated idiot.

those are varangian guards, from the byzantine empire
I will post what I have from late rome though

have a literal licence to argue with people

For me, a STEM major is impossible, since I suck absolute dick at math and hate it vehemently. I'm good at writing and, you guessed it, history. My only option was history.

I'm too unmotivated and dumb to publish, so I'll prob work in a library like that other user and waste away, turning to the dust that lines the pages of the books in that library.

pursue a personal passion outside the bounds of materialistic concerns

look back, reflect, and realize getting a history degree was a bad idea

Get a welding license, you get to work with your hands and can make a decent amount of money right out of the gate

>turning to the dust that lines the pages of the books in that library.
this is also my ambition.

I'd wager there's plenty you could do with the right extracurriculars. I've found with geology networking, particularly soft networking, is very important.

I'm still ticking along with my degree but I've got myself a pretty decent museum job out of some paleo stuff I did on the side.

Become a police officer and rank up fairly quickly probably because you have a higher IQ than most of the recruits.

Join the military after you get your bachelors and become an officer after your basic and officer training, get tons of benefits, visit the world, but dont join the adrenaline junkie branches, go into the guard, either coastal or national, the navy or the AF.

Be a lawyer but this is risky and unless you know what the fuck you are doing

go back to school for your graduate and doctoring and become a professor at some whimp community college then move up to an actual university after 5 years or so.

other idea that people probably tell you
>become a highschool teacher
HA! good luck getting a job as a history teacher for grade schools, The highschool I went to had an opening a couple years back... 5000 applications state wide for history teacher. not exaggerating.
>museum curator
meh, you could but you need a lot of respect and admiration for this role, it takes time. you dont see 30 year olds running entire museums. You will also need to get your masters at least and you also need an art background.

I'm currently on my way to becoming an officer in the Airforce. I'll retire by 45 if I want if i stay active for 20 years with 75% of my pension with free healthcare and housing. even if I just did the 6 years of active duty ill have over 100k saved and a $80k grant towards education via GI bill.

Byzantine Empire was the Roman Empire

fair enough, people just don't usually call them the late roman empire so I assumed he was asking for wre stuff
I do have some byzantine plates

>jewish merchant

lol, this meme again

Better question, why wouldn't you want one? Another better question is why any well breed person would go to a university to do "stem" and work as a glorified prole.

Consulting.

Consulting firms needs historians and you can make 200k + per year with bare minimum MA.

I post this in every goddamn thread that pops up asking this question, you guys really need to go to coop schools if you want to study history.

Explain more on consulting

How could a military force that employed flame throwers lose Constantinople ?

Imagine if you will a consulting firm that specializes in environmental cleanup.

EPA sets laws for contamination and checks levels of contaminants in major waterways. If EPA determines that contaminants too high, a clean up process begins with pinning the blame on someone to pay for it.

EPA comes up with laundry list of companies and sends out notice demanding money for clean up.

Consulting firm comes in to mediate the negotiation between companies to avoid litigation between companies. Comes up with mathematical system to determine who pays and how much.

Historians very important in this process. Write reports on pollutant producing factories and determine exactly what factories were owned by who, what the products/byproducts of those factories were, and how much/how long the factories were polluting.

These research findings critical to determine afforementioned mathematical system.

This is just one example of the use of historians in consulting firms. But you could make as much money doing similar work by going to law school and not being a retard there

1. There's a little bit of debate on whether or not they used flamethrowers post-1204. It's never mentioned that they did but we don't know explicitly that they didn't.

2. Even if they did, the Ottomans had lots of guns

For some reason loads of politicians in Poland have history degrees.

The air force is looking for historians.

why would they even bother that late on? cant they see its all gone, its like germany, berlin in april 1945

You can do tons of jobs with a history degree.

You don't only get history jobs.

Being capable of doing history means you're capable of deep independent research, complex critical thinking and analysis, the ability to form your own ideas and arguments, and more stuff like that

You think he wants his channel swarmed with Veeky Forums posters?

I was referring to the 1204 siege.
How did they even lose that siege is beyond me, when even the ottomans 200 years later had trouble taking the city.

what are some good books on the Byzantine empire? I know next to nothing about them.

>edge

they had help from the inside.

It's great for getting into law school.

>he doesn't have a master on freshwater yachting

They need more black, but those swastikas are definitely edgy.

>le blue collar jobs are shit despite paying more and having better benefits and security

a-at least you have a smart-boy paper and have had le college experience, amirite?

who?
all the latins were dead
afaik its because they took the sea walls
but not even the ottos managed to take them

>I suck absolute dick at math and hate it vehemently. I'm good at writing and, you guessed it, history
are you me?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
there's nothing "edgey" about romans using the swastika, that was like 1600 years before the edgey kraut jew-killer man was born, it was just a symbol you fucking brainlets

No, it's a nazi symbol and everybody who ever used it was a nazi sympathizer or had nazi ideas themselves.
All swastikas need to be removed/demolished because of its connection with anti-semitism.

No, but I am a fellow 60 IQ history major

Teaching, research.

Specialize in archeology.

Write, consult on various media, produce various media. History is an endless source of stories you can help with/produce yourself for the public.

Sure, it's a meme, but as far as "arts" stuff goes its one of the best possible.

>I'll prob work in a library

I'm the son of extremely successful parents and have been pushed to succeed since birth. I could never do anything but the top shit and have a huge career or achieve something amazing.

Truth be told, I'd absolutely kill to work in a library. Among the books, just hidden away, calm and dignified life. Typing this out is bringing me very close to breaking down. You don't know how good you have it sometimes my friend.

>I'll be doing big things
No you'll accomplish nothing and either kill yourself once you accept it or just accept your parents' disappointment in you.

You could do an MLIS and try to be a librarian, records managers, or archivist. Thats what Im doing.

>so I'll prob work in a library like that other user and waste away, turning to the dust that lines the pages of the books in that library.
user that dust comes from the electronic door letting in wind

To actually earn money and become independent from your parents and their basement.

I always wonder from which country people who say stuff like this are from.
Lets be honest nobody will take you seriously with a history degree atleast not where I live and I live in western europe.

>
>This desu. Having a stem major and an arts minor is great for a resume because it demonstrates diversity in educational background. Got into my MBA and into internships despite little corporate success because I had these two aspects on top of a decent GPA.

Sorry to tangent here:

I've been seriously considering going back to school for engineering. Just for my bachelor's degree. I work in real estate and some of my successful co- workers agree that having another license besides a driver's license combined with a good education (on paper, at least) will work wonders for your success in any field.

Duty and Honor.

>those are varangian guards, from the byzantine empire

Which is the Roman Empire.

When I finished my BA in history I took two GIS courses; I was unemployed for 4 months and then got work in the national archive, digitalizing old maps,cadasters,urban plans and creating historical layers. I'm definitely not rich, but I get by and I like what I do. So basically, just enhance your history degree with a niche course.

Literally because of da joos

>tfw majoring in biology and continuing to a medical school after I get my undergraduate studies done, but my passion has always been history
;_;

Get a useful degree that will yield you good money, you can always do history as a hobby in your free time.

>No you'll accomplish nothing and either kill yourself once you accept it or just accept your parents' disappointment in you.

That is what I said, thank you for the clarification, it was absolutely unnecessary. I have the gun on the side of my bed and it's been out for days, you don't have to remind me.

It was the ghost of perfidious Constantine, helping his Catholic henchmen one last time to finish the job

Can't even roll over and grab it, see what I mean? Pathetic.

>I'm too dumb to do anything in university that will net me a job afterwards
>better waste my time and money on something useless
You could've just stopped at "I'm too unmotivated and dumb".

wtf is the point of a history degree, just read books user. I've read probably 30-40 books in my particular interest of late medieval/early renaissance tuscany

Nah.

I'm in CS and regret not doing history.

>hurr money

And what am I supposed to do with
useless money?

You don't need a lot of money to live

And you don't need a history degree and copious amounts of debt to enjoy history.

Where do these pictures come from? I'd love a collection of them.

>wtf is the point of a history degree, just read books user.
The point studying history in college isn't so you can learn about history. It's so you can learn how to do research. That includes critical thinking skills, textual analysis, and various research skills that most people don't have, and are hard to learn without a formal education.

You might not think that sounds important, but it is. The reason people like Graham Hancock can flourish and have careers is that people interested in history read his books and don't have the skills to realize how he misinterprets and misrepresents things. Or just look at some of the stupid shit people say on this board because they either read bad sources, or don't fully understand something they read. Books are good for facts, but you can open yourself up to a lot of bullshit if you don't know how to evaluate and understand what you're reading.

Plus, it's still a college degree, and a degree in anything is good enough to get you most jobs. If history is the only subject you're interested in enough to study for that degree, it's worth it.

Yes, incredibly high expectations can cripple someone completely. In my circle of close-ish friends from other rich families I can't recall a single one that turned out normal. The girls become whores, the men usually become really depressed and frustrated and have very unhappy marriages. Most marry a significantly older person.

Being born to rich parents is seriously not all its cracked up to be UNLESS you are a total piece of shit. Then it's really fun.

My brother is a total piece of shit and he just leeches off my parents and drives around expensive cars.

And yes I've been struggling with grabbing the gun and ending it, decided to try force myself to exercise, eat better and all that jazz to try and fix it but...edging closer to the final decision.

It also matters for specialization. You won't even get a job consulting media about historical stuff or become an archeologist or whatever without a degree.

You shouldn't be going to college if you have to be in debt to go

>Being born into a family that is rich enough to not have been afflicted my financial woes is somehow bad
Think I would have preferred that to the trailer park and family meth heads

T. Non-american

>become an archeologist or whatever without a degree.
Well, for archaeology, it's because you're actually learning a skillset that you really do need an education for. It's a lot more like a technical degree than any other social sciences/humanities degree is (and a history degree won't help you for working as an archaeologist at all, without a graduate degree in archaeology or something on top of it). The specialization about artifacts and theory is part of it, but excavation and analysis techniques are physical skills that can't be learned another way.

If you know you can be a lawyer, doctor or computer scientist it makes alot of sense to go into debt. You have an extremely high chance of getting a well paying job.

Hell, plenty of less prestigious jobs can also be useful. Debt is a burden but it can help under the right circumstances.

pls where can I find these pictures, I dont know what they're called

>as long as it's not in something ridiculous like feminist dance theory or freshwater yachting.
There is no graduate degree so ridiculous it won't help get you a career.

My master's is in history and I work for the Department of Defense as an analyst in Canada and I have coworkers making ~80 grand with a master's in feminist literature.

>
Join the military after you get your bachelors and become an officer after your basic and officer training, get tons of benefits, visit the world, but dont join the adrenaline junkie branches, go into the guard, either coastal or national, the navy or the AF.
Don't you need to be STEM-oriented, skill wise, to rank high in the military? Otherwise you'd be intelligence.

>freshwater yachting

If they did an MA in this, I would be sorely, sorely tempted to apply.

Don't do officer, do enlisted so you get your mos, afsc, etc. Of your choice and you just get to do your work. For national guard or air national guard, the pay different isn't that significant.

You don't need to be stem oriented in your degree unless you want to be an air force officer.

Fellow Canadian here almost done my MA in Classics. How did you find this job? Recruiters?

brainlet wojak