Iran–Iraq War thread?

Iran–Iraq War thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kBvBS2Cwpt8
youtube.com/watch?v=em9MiZyhJcw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abadan,_Iran#Climate
articles.orlandosentinel.com/1990-08-15/news/9008150408_1_saddam-hussein-iraqi-president-saddam-majnoon
youtube.com/watch?v=LwH-Vu4b5vU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump for underappreciated insanity

youtube.com/watch?v=kBvBS2Cwpt8

What an insane war, from the use of chemical weapons by the Iraqis to the fanatical child soldiers and human wave tactics of the Iranians,

>in the Majnoon battle there were very few shots fired and only a handful of artillery barrages. They were hardly needed, given the creative killing methods devised by the Iraqi army for the occasion.
>''You wait until nighttime, and you will see how we are killing these Iranian dogs,'' an Iraqi officer said with a broad grin. ''We are frying them like eggplants.''
>He then took us on a tour of dozens of thick electrical cables his troops had lain through the marshy battlefield, a spaghetti network that snaked in and out of the patchwork of lagoons. He showed us the mammoth electric generators that fed the exposed power lines from positions just behind the Iraqi front lines. And, when the Iranian Revolutionary Guards made their regular evening advance, the officer and his men demonstrated the macabre genius of their invention.
>Iraqi gun batteries fired just enough artillery to force the Revolutionary Guards from their marsh boats, and, when hundreds of them had been forced to continue their advance through the lagoons on foot, the men manning the Iraqi generators flipped a few switches and sent thousands of volts of electricity surging through the marshland.
>Within seconds, hundreds of Iranians were electrocuted.

that was sick

>iraq attacks iran with the support of the entire world
>loses

>iraqi arabs attack persians with the support of the entire world
>while the persians are undergoing social, governmental, and militaristic upheaval and chaos from the Islamic revolution
>still lose

Any good books about it with insane shit like above in it?

Anyone read this piece of shit?

yes, I liked it

as a tale goes it was interesting

Pretty clever tactics honestly saved resources and manpower while effectively killing hundreds of enemy soldiers

The Iran-*raq War conclusively proves that Shia are true rightful heir of the caliphate and the Sunni heretics rightfully deserves eternal damnation in jahanam
may Allah smite all the batthist scum from Earth

It was actually a good movie, why do you think it is a piece of shit?

It was okay.

Baathists are sunni

you don't read a film you utter dunce, he is referring to the graphic novel

The image he posted was from the film, so I misread. No need to be rude user.

Yeah that’s what they said

But Assad is an alawite and a Baathist and Hezbollah and Iran are backing a Baathist regime in Syria.

Iran: One of the only based middle eastern countries that the US hates.

We call those useful idiots

>implying there's such a thing as a based sand-nigger
>implying Iran isn't partly responsible for the Middle East's current predicament

There's a reason why every single country with Shiites in it is either at war or recovering from war.

Yemen, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Azerbaijan.

That reason is at least 50% Iran.

we don't hate the country, so much as the despotic theocratic regime is stupid and hostile to us leaving no other recourse but bad relations

It's one of the reason why I laugh at my neocon friends who think a war with Iran would be as easy as the Iraq War. These motherfuckers will do anything humanly possible to protect their regime.

Even Saddam thought they were nuts

>US dindu nuffin, we a good boy just bringin peace n democracy wit our coups and CIA trained torture squads
Really?

lol yeah. Mossedegh was an unpopular loser that repeatedly cancelled elections like a tyrant because he knew he would lose

Do you know the budget of Operation Ajax? No more than a million bucks. If his regime was so fragile, it had no reason to exist

And what are you whining about torture for? Do you think torture never existed before the Shah took control?

all I hear is "death to the united states" and other such drivel

Is Iran the craziest state in the M.E? not even the Saudis are this batshit
also, why did Israel support them secretly in the war?

Did the kurds allying with persians have any effect on Iraq from the inside or were they useless?

Ayatolah please go

You also have to remember that the Iranians trace their legacy back to the Persian Empire.
They'll fight with any means necessary in order to protect their homeland since they have such ancient ties to it.

>le fighting for their heritage meme
Pagan Persian gods are completely look down upon in current islamist Iran, their insanity was more from the revolutionary impulses of the time, the sentiments that the west that has been fucking them for a long time is now supporting Iraq in an annihilation war triggered their fanaticism
This was a war for survival not preserving "legacy"

I'm just saying it makes it a lot easier to rally to fight a war when you can claim some sort of older connection.
And personally I would argue that even with the Islamist regime they still make connections to older "pagan" empire.

what about blood, cultural and historical ties? it doesn't need to be the religion that goves Iranians connection to their ancestors.

I'm not necessary arguing against them having cultural and historical ties to the region, but this understanding of the war carries some really shallow romanticism, not every war is seen as some huge existential moment which all ancestry depends on by the eyes of the fighting sides, this war lacked that sense of grandeur to it and was more of a direct geopolitical cause/consequence type of warfare.

This was pretty much the middle east's version of WW1

That shit makes you sound like a retard posting some epic for the win teutonic knight picture with a lot of ellipses of "Duty...honor...courage...Evropa" faggotry. That's not even good propaganda or the propaganda that actually gets someone to go fight and die. It's just internet activist nonsense that reeks of gamer-culture.

Nation and culture did play a part in the animosity but it was not because of some "We wuz Achaemenids" on the Iranian side more than it was the Iranian association of being faithful adherents of the hidden Imam and Ali and Husayn. Saddam did play up the propaganda of being the arab leading the faithful against the Sassanids, but ultimately the Iranians and Arabs hate eachother the same way the French and English hate eachother. Not because of Crecy and Agincourt or Hastings but because their parents hated them, their parents parents hated them, and because modern geopolitical events like said galvanized that hatred.

The minute contemporary or near contemporary events cause Arabs to see Iranians in a good light all that romantic drivel about ancient shallow romanticism vanishes. Al-Qadisiyyah doesn't even register as a blip on the minds of Lebanese when they see Iran supporting Hezbollah, or Syrians when they see Iran supporting them, or Iraqi Shiite being helped by Iran. They just go "Holy shit yeah Iran is helping us against these Israeli faggots, these Sunni faggots, these Sunni ISIS faggots".

If blood and soil as such a tangible thing then the Iraqis would have told the Iranians to go pound sand instead of begging their help.

was Iran the WW1 version of G*rmans?

>fucks with the west
>fucks with the arabs
>fucks with the soviets
What the fuck was wrong with Iran, they made an enemy of the entire world after the revolution, it was some german level of autism

Setting religion aside, there has always been a Persian state in the center of the Middle East for thousands of years. They would die to defend it, even most of the Iranian diaspora I've met that fucking hate the regime would sign up in their army to defend it from invasion in a heartbeat

According to wikipedia Israel supportd Iran. Why?

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Iran opposes Saudi Arabia, which is helpful for Israel

saw the movie then read the comics, I liked it

shame the movie cut out most of the parts at the end when she goes back to Iran, because that was my favorite part

actually it was because they opposed Saddam, who was seen as a much more dangerous threat

Israel is a highly militarized country, basically the closest thing to a modern day sparta, and thus it always needs to have a mortal enemy. I remember when I visited Israel before the Arab Spring everyone always talked about how dangerous Syria was, and that Israel needed to be ready because the Syrians could invade at any moment. When I was in Israel after the civil war started in Syria all anyone would talk about was how dangerous Iran was.

Ah my bad I was getting confused with time periods

basically a love letter to France

Yeah every criticism to the US sounds like that to a burger.

Mmost revolutions are like that (see France and USSR). Can't really be cozy with the countries that run on systems your revolution was based on destroying.

Quit being disingenuous. All of you foreigners on here have made it abundantly clear you despise us and would like nothing more than for our nation to collapse and us to be wiped out, even though our horrendous crimes are child's play compared to what the Yuros were doing not even five decades ago in Africa and the Middle East.

>you did it 100 years ago that means it's ok for us to do it now!

Excuses like that is the reason why no one takes US's moral standards seriously anymore. Apparently 19th century imperialism that even the nations that enacted it admitted were god-awful is what a present day country (that was a victim to said imperialism) finds appropriate and necessary.

>19th century
Does this webm look like the 19th century to you? Did Rhodesia end in the 19th century? Are there not French troops in Mali right now? I thought you guys had like super good education or something.
>we apologized for completely fucking the entirety of Africa and the Middle East for centuries well into the present day but we said we're sorry so it's all cool now right
And we're the ones that has fucked up morals. Okay.

Nobody is asking you to take our moral standards seriously it's just bullshit justification like every nation has been doing for everything it does since time immemorial.
>europe wants clay in the New World and Africa and Asia
>it's a happy humanitarian mission with priests and colonists
>Native americans pretty much no longer exist as an ethnicity
>native africans are balkanized so hard we can literally say "it's Africa-tier" and you know that its a level of chaos Yugoslavia could have only ever dreamed of.
>literally going to war with china so you could sell them opium

By the way this is why burgers don't take euros seriously when they try to talk about moral standards.
Shut the fuck up and go back to fulfulling your treaty obligations before we make you cut social services so you actually have to pay for a military again, you figurative and literal cuck to america.

Calm down, buddy, you are on an anime forum.

where did you get this vid? I've watched it on YT but in shit quality. This is great quality.

youtube.com/watch?v=em9MiZyhJcw

Didn't make the webm but pretty sure it's from this one.

thanks, friend

Friend fought on the war, Iran side. He is a Azeri Turk

Lost most of his friend in there, been a Pacifist since

>p-please d-daddy america n-no more r-rude

does he ever talk to u about what the war was like?

>Iraq
>Better infantry
>First use of gas
>Defending against human waves
>Still pushed back
>Still lost

no

>the Majnoon battle
lel

literally means "crazy" for ajaanib

Nah, new generation of Iranians are way more chill. The crazy lunatics that grew up in the 80's are oldfags now and too old to pick up a gun.

Having said that, Iran is too fucking massive to occupy given how huge it is.

>Iran–Iraq War thread?

That's not how you spell The Second Qadisiyah

wow, just noticed that

to destroy iraq's nuclear program

I don't know much about it but I always felt Iran was the good guy in this war. Why was that reagan incident so harmful for the president? Isn't supporting the attacked ones a .. good thing?

The best comparison would be the situation in Europe after the French Revolution. Europe was shocked at the kind of brutality and slaughter that took place in France after the Storming of the Bastille. Once Louis 16 was beheaded, that was kind of a red line for the European monarchies, and they formed a coalition to attack France. This was done to

>stop the export of the Revolution to protect their regimes from similar revolts (spreading the revolution was ingrained in the Revolutionary French Republic ideology)
>take the opportunity to snatch land and resources from the chaotic and inexperienced new French government
>they would never have a better opportunity to attack since any of France's old allies who normally would defend it are going to look the other way and hope the new government would fall

Pretty much all the same reasons why Saddam went to war. Saddam had support from the region who were all ruled by regimes not to different from the Shah's. One of Khomeinism's biggest philopsies was the spread the Revolution throughout the whole world, we still see that in the Iran's government's modus operandi by their support of groups like Hezbollah, Hamas or the Houthis. And Saddam had always wanted some of the rich land and resources in Eastern Iran that was mostly populated by Arabs.

He couldn't before because the Imperial Army of Iran was magnitudes of degrees more deadly and well-trained than his, so he thought it would be an easy war. He imagined it would good for upping his image in the world, who all wanted to see the new government in Iran get a good ass-kicking.

The first part is good when it's about living in Iran. Once she hits college age and it turns into the self-fellating story of a thoroughly uninteresting person as she loafs around Europe and shit it falls off of a cliff.

The US supplied both sides though.

I can break this weapon with one cooper wire.

>that image

?? but it was Iraqis doing the killing in this instance, and USA reamed the Iraqi militrary, doesnt say much for the iranians that they fell in such traps

>Ayatollah dindu nuffin, we a good boy just overthrowin a despot by installin an even worse despot

It was a nice read but ultimately she wasn't present during the post-revolution years which is where all the real shit went down. She was protected by being in an influential family during the Shah's reign.

haha epic cultural and nationalistic ties aren't real lmao

Good points. Thanks for the reply

>had lain

Did the cables lie themselves there? I'm pretty sure that the guy who wrote the article was American.

Why is Veeky Forums so autistic?

I've heard Iranians (at least in Tehran) are actually fairly positive towards America or Americans, just not our government.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abadan,_Iran#Climate

>over 40 degrees on average from June to September

Are you sure that conventional weapons were what killed most of the troops?

>why did Israel do some shady shit regarding funding during a war
Hmm

>Veeky Forums.org

>>over 40 degrees on average from June to September
what, celsius, farenheit?

Veeky Forums is the only board where I've seen people sperg out about the US and simple grammar mistakes this hard.

Jesus, this is actually real.

articles.orlandosentinel.com/1990-08-15/news/9008150408_1_saddam-hussein-iraqi-president-saddam-majnoon

>implying there's such a thing as a based sand-nigger
>Implying implications

had to for middle eastern history class i took. Class was cool, learned a lot, book was shit. struggled to get through it. not just the book, the story told was ok but the only thing i really got from it reinforced what i thought about islam and how it made the middle east go static

The fact that they Zerg rushed like that shows their lack of regard for their own lives, and their superior's contempt for them

One of the main problems the Iranian military was facing was that their officer corp was completely gutted during the revolution. As such, platoons were being led by individuals with little to no training.

It's honestly surprising the Iraqis couldn't push past Abadan given the terrible state of the Iranian military.

>Thinking 40 degree F summers are fucking applicable to the middle east at fucking all

Take a guess, burger

youtube.com/watch?v=LwH-Vu4b5vU

I wish that there was more interesting film available of this war. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure none of the legendary helicopter-vs.-helicopter dogfights were captured on camera.

Any good books on the war that you guys'd recommend?

It should've fallen on its own. Overthrowing his government to replace with a pliant western puppet for oil purposes was just dumb.

Lol@people saying America couldt win vs Iran. America could probably crush the Iranians in a matter of months, the problem is occupying Iran.