I embarrassed myself today

I embarrassed myself today.
>First day at the gym in Asia
>Been in this country for more than a week, was getting stuff done.
>Here to learn the language although my classes haven't started yet
>Ask the receptionist if she speaks English, she does a little and reluctantly answers my questions about the location of lockers and changing room. Looks at me like a retard.
>Get changed and head over to one of the only two squat racks in the gym (this is the most prestigious university in the country)
>Guy seems to be lifting something similar to what I do, ask if we can alternate.
>He says yes. I introduce myself but he just shakes my hand and doesn't say his name
>I put the bar on my shoulders, lower myself, can't get back up. Shit is too heavy.
>Have to deload weights. Try again. Fail again.
>While loading weights I drop a plate and it lands on the foot of the squat rack, makes a big noise
>Guy keeps looking at me like I'm an insufferable retard
>Eventually finish my sets, thank him, and he just gestures for me to fuck off
>Go to the only bench press in the fucking gym
>Realize as I'm loading the weights that everything is in kilograms, not pounds.
>Feel like a retard but finish my workout now that I know what the problem was

Asians are not brotier guys. Not very helpful. Don't be an immigrant.

Who is that touhou???

>his country has weight in pounds

the fact that you didn't realize they were in kgs as soon as you couldn't get up means you're retarded

holy FUCK are you a stupid cunt.

>"asia"

Is the biggest fucking cuntinent you chucklefuck, where in ""'""asia"""" is this? And you do realize kilograms natural measure of weight in our universe? ? And was the fact that a 20kg plate the same SIZE as a 45lb plate not enough?

Lol. Just lol

How the fuck does that mean I'm retarded? How am I supposed to know if I've never even EXPERIENCED a plate measured in kilograms before.

Taipei. I've seen 10 lb weights as big as as 45 lbs before. That shit varies.

I bet you could kick his ass at cardio. He runs kilometers, you run miles.

>most prestigious university in the country
>nobody speaks english

Nigger you are either bullshitting or going to a shithole because I have been to Tsinghua University and Fudan University which both have plenty of English speaking staff AND they have at least 1 English speaker at the fucking gym at all times.

You are one bullshitting cunt.

>didn't notice that barbells are much heavier than usual while putting them on
You ARE a retard

This just happened 2 hours ago. I didn't say the staff didn't speak english, I said they only spoke little. Can you read? Also, this isn't China.

1. Dubs speak truth.
2. Well if by what you're saying, you loaded up what you thought was your working set and then it was far too heavy, and then when you backed off a bit and it was still too heavy, if you didn't think "maybe it's in kgs" then you're at least a little dumb.

>referring to Taiwan by its true name of Chinese Taipei
A true patrician

>Asians are not brotier
What's next? Water is wet?

>>Realize as I'm loading the weights that everything is in kilograms, not pounds.

AMERIRETARDATION EVERYONE

>In """""Taiwan"""""
>This isn't China

Fucking kek.

>How the fuck does that mean I'm retarded? How am I supposed to know if I've never even EXPERIENCED a plate measured in kilograms before.

It's literally the world standard. That's how you know. Even serious places in America use standard plates, in kilograms.

Measuring things in pounds is so much better. You can be a lot more accurate without having to use annoying decimal numbers.

Rasputin?

I see the Chinese Internet Defense Force is here. How's it going guys? Has the honor of the Motherland been soiled yet?

It's not better. Stop deluding yourself.

No, that's Reimu

>
>You can be a lot more accurate without having to use annoying decimal numbers.
Then use grams you dip shit.

No, that's not why. It's because he's too stupid to consider that kg's are roughly 2.2 times heavier than a lb. How can people not just multiply from kg's to lbs? FFS, the weights are often very close anyway, it's not like they have weird 60-lb plates or anything. For example, a common 20 kg plate is equivalent to a 45 lb plate. It's pretty simple.

No, he's stupid for thinking it was in lbs. He's fucking retarded for not realizing it instantly, or even way before he even went to the gym.

It just didn't occur to me that people might use kgs. I forgot that shit existed.
All I saw was a guy lifting a big plate, and smaller plate, and an even smaller plate and went "oh, he must be lifting approximately the same as me"

>Using grams

Fucking dumb. Look, I get it, it's easier to do math in the metric system. But really, it's significantly easier to gauge weight and distance in Imperial.

Buttmad abbo is flustered after seeing the Olympics recognizing Chinese Taipei as the official name of the Chinese Island

That too, just that "I haven't experienced that" is a stupid excuse as well. Could he not see the huge "KG" denotation as well?

It's not. Stop with this delusion already.

Really? Cool, for this recipe we use 200 grams of butter - wait, sorry, I mean 0.441 lbs.

You sicken me cunt, took me all of 10 seconds to realize the weights were in KG when i took a trip to new zealand.

Abbo? .02 Yuan was deposited into your account, government shill.

I'm an American of Irish/Norwegian heritage, I've got no dog in this fight, except I know that Red China wanted nothing to do with the final stronghold of the Republicans after Mao took over...

...Until Taiwan suddenly became an economic power, and then suddenly China says "oh, we never thought they were separate!". But China's full of mental gymnastics, as long as the government shekels keep rolling in.

They have had a claim to it since the Qing dynasty. If we define property by length of ownership, it belongs to China.

>If we define property by length of ownership
We don't

You're right, we define it by political and military power and right now the official word is that Taiwan doesn't exist since it isn't recognized by the UN or any major nation.

>If we define property by length of ownership

Haha

We don't use pounds in cooking, unless it's something like meat. 1/2 lb of steak, for example. We use cups, teaspoons/tablespoons, sometimes quarts/gallons.

Hey, how long's a centimeter? Who the fuck knows? How long's an inch? About the length of a segment of your finger.

How long's a meter? Oh, about 100 of a difficult-to-visualize measurement. How long's a foot? About the length of the average person's foot.

How long is a yard? About the average stride length.

See? Easy.

And with weight, if you're off by a few pounds, you're still okay. If you're off by a few kilograms, you're off by a lot.

Smelly dumb, weeb scum. WHAITU PIGGU GO HOOOOOME!

>anglo abroad

Jesus christ how embarrasing

> it's significantly easier to gauge weight and distance in Imperial.

God I genuinely hope Americans aren't all this fucking stupid.

>Hey, how long's a centimeter? Who the fuck knows?
Normal people.

Enjoy making up the rules as you go along.

China claimed that the Macintosh "Apple" logo was actually a part of Chinese culture, and that it was a symbol in use for thousands of years. That Chinese company, founded immediately after Apple announced expansion into China, won a suit in Chinese courts.

This a country whose entire legal system and political beliefs are changed on the fly to suit an ever-growing government bureaucracy, and I'm supposed to take its tenuous land ownership claims as valid? Or was Communism ALSO a remnant of a long-lost Chinese Dynasty?

What the fuck are idiots arguing about? Chinese Taipei is the name both countries agreed to as they both consider themselves to be the legitimate governments of China as a whole.

>live in metric country
>study engineering, use metric units for ez calcutions
>use imperial units for daily and personal stuff like this post

I don't know why more people don't do this, so intuitive desu
But fuck doing eng problems in imperial units. Pounds-force and slugs can fuck right off.

Witty bantz, coming from a guy who seemingly can't read more than one or two select sentences.

That the Qing held Taiwan for hundreds of years is not disputed history.

>I don't know why more people don't do this

Because there is literally no advantage to doing

I can, but your reasoning is cancer stupid. I know how long a centimeter is, and how long 100 meter is by daily use.
It's nice that your units are all averages (probably not anymore because people are much bigger now on average), but that's not a valid reason to call it a better measuring system. There's a reason your military uses metric, friend.

i like how this thread transitioned from gym stories to history. also op what did you expect the people in the gym to do? run over to you and ask if your ok?

>americans

Not look at me like a retard? The guy I was alternating with could have been a bit more friendly. The receptionist could have made more of an effort to understand what I was trying to say. They were very rude and it's not like I don't want to learn the language.

>Asians aren't bro tier
Dude you're the one at fault here.
You just waltz into a country and act like a murrican, not even trying to accept the culture.
Shaking someone you don't know's hand is actually rude as fuck in most asian countries.
And yeah, no shit they're not gonna like someone who won't even try to ask basic shit in their language.
Ever been to France for instance?
If you speak English to them they'll hate you, but if you try to speak French to them they'll love it and actually often help you speak it correctly.

Mate, you're on a board where we make fun of idiots in the gym all the time. Imagine the other way around: some chinaman comes to your gym, doesn't speak English, asks to alternate with you, and deloads your fucking weights. How would you feel?

French here, can confirm
fucking 'muricans

>cancer stupid
Hoi.

Hallo, vriend.

actually that reminds me of a story about an asian dyel and a gym bully

We reloaded them when it was his turn. That's how alternating works.
I didn't just push him out of the way and steal his barbell. I would not have any issue with a chinaman wanting to alternate with me.

Dude we have the same fucking memory aids in the metric system. How long in a centimeter? As broad as your finger mostly. How long is a meter? One step.
Just because you were taught to remeber feet or inches doesnt mean it is better.

Should learn to feel the difference of the plates you use man

>Hey, how long's a centimeter? Who the fuck knows? How long's an inch?
Everyone who goes to school.
>How long's a meter?
Arm length

>wow this system I use every day is way easier than that system I don't use everday
kys

He would load more on cuz kg > lbs

Top kek

Brutal.

if your white people will generally look at you like an alien unless your in countries like hong kong or Singapore where theres a shit ton of expats. dont you have like a uni guide? when my friends went on exchange they were partnered with local students so shit like this doesnt happen

Are you a certified retard? How did you not feel the weight was wrong as soon as you untracked? It's not like it could have even felt close, it's almost double the weight.
How much were you lifting, don't lie. You said the Asian dude was doing your weight in lb but in kg, let me guess, you can only lift 120lb. Might explain the complete lack of lifting experience required to make such an error.

I'm here early. I don't think we get a guide since I'm signed up in a program to learn the language, not as an exchange student. But I could be wrong.

Because you grew up learning dumb things

I was judging by the size of the plates. I lift 165 lbs in squats; I'm a beginner admittedly.

Why are you getting taught at a second world country? There are two perfectly good, modern 1st world asian countries with superior academics and girls

sucks to hear that
when they're the immigrants they act very kind
at least in my country

what are expats?

id recommend you get to know the exchange students and just hang out with them. theyll have some sort of guide with them and you can just tag along.

expatriates. aka dudes who move to a different country for work

Thank you fo helping me expand my ameritard folder

thanks

Yes, our military uses it... because it's easy to do math with, like I said. Nobody wants to use force-pounds, nor convert Imperial into metric before bombing some sandnigger in another country. "How many clicks to Baghdad?" "Oh let me just pop out the calculator and convert into miles!"

Point out where I argued, at any point, that the Imperial system was, as a whole, better than the Metric system? Protip: You won't fucking find it.

I'm simply arguing my opinion that it's easier to use as a guestimation. To back that up, I went through a series of measurements and the common estimations you can use with body parts.

I also know multiple people who live and work in European countries, including a civil engineer (who helps more so with contracts and fulfillment, but still, it's related to building things), and they use metric on a daily basis when they need to calculate something.

But for the estimation of weight and distance, they, who would have the MOST to gain by using the metric system for estimation, ALL use Imperial units. And 4 of them are Canadian, so they don't have an Imperial bias like my civil engineer friend.

Everyone learns both, fucktard. When it's convenient to use Imperial, like in estimations, we use Imperial. When it isn't, we use Metric. Enjoy being too stupid to utilize two measurement systems.

>But for the estimation of weight and distance, they, who would have the MOST to gain by using the metric system for estimation, ALL use Imperial units

a meter is a big step
15 cm is the average erect penis
most football fields are 100 meters long
the penalty spot is 10 meters away from the goal
if you play sports you end up having these measurements in your head

>We use cups, teaspoons/tablespoons, sometimes quarts/gallons.
Man I hate that shit it's so retarded HAHAHAHAHAHA

Jesus Christ OP you are a God Damn embarrassment. I'd like to think Americans might be inching closer to being treated with respect in other countries bexause we can respect their customs but then we have slack jawed faggot like yourself making the rest of us look worse.

Just fucking kill yourself you waste of carbon.

>I don't understand English

I'm sorry if my arguments were too complex for you. I'll have to try harder next time.

DESU, the best argument I've heard is that metric visualization is just as easy if you've been raised with it, which I can mostly ( personal anecdotal evidence contradicts that theory) accept. In which case the worst you can say is that both systems are equally-adept at estimation.

You're literally retarded. If I estimate things in metric here in the US, people won't understand, because they can't visualize metric units.

If you live in Europe, but have exposure to estimating in BOTH systems, and you estimate using the Imperial system, Europeans won't be able to understand because they would have no experience visualizing Imperial units.

So, who benefits from using the Metric system for estimations? Me, in America? Or my friends in Europe?

Fuck, field and penalty spot are fine, maybe (100m and longer is quite big). But the average erect dick, and "big step" measurements seem quite fuzzy.

Anyway, off to bed.

sleep well breh
give your muscles the rest they need
:3

wow you are one fucking huge retard

and gooks hate weebs. prepare to have the bad time you deserve

So by your own admittance the only reason to use Imperial is because that's what people in the US are familiar with. If so you must agree that they don't abandon the imperial system entirely and start teaching metric and metric alone.

how is NOBODY mentioning the fact that in order for OP to confuse the weight, he needs to squat LESS THAN 1PL8 since otherwise he wouldnt counted plate number instead of reading the number on the SINGLE

>asia
Wtf??

You look at the plates which normally have kg written on them

This is an interesting thread

I moved to Korea and can confirm that asians are as bro-tier as anyone else. Like any gym in the world, they'd just have very little time for someone as retarded as the OP.

The Koreans in my gym ask me to show them how to squat and bench properly and complement me on my gainz.

They also stand around you while you deadlift and as you complete the lift yell "WOAH!" which I appreciate a lot.

They're not into 'working in' though, so keep that in mind OP you embarrassing dipshit. They think it's polite to let someone finish their sets and patiently wait.

>outlifted by a fucking slant-eyes
End it now

>personal anecdotal evidence
>evidence

This whole thread has some of the finest bait I've seen in years.
This shit could catch Leviathan

You should've realised hes much bigger than you

We should just print the weight in mol and the element on the plates so only smart guys can train efficiently.

The worst thing a cup of flower or a cup of water isn't even the same weight.

>His smallest unit is literally 2,5 cms
>"How thin is you phone?" Well about 13,4/47 inches
>Americans will ACTUALLY try to defend this shit instead of praising the glorious logic of the metric system
YOU SIMPLY CANNOT MAKE THIS SHIT UP