HISTORY'S MYSTERIES

I've been doing research on the Pantheon lately, there's a theory that the porch was a later addition because the pediment heights are different on both. Or that the pantheon was constructed from the ruins of Agrippas bath which was literally located and connected to the south of the Pantheon. Thoughts?

bump for those ancient anomalies

When I visited the Pantheon I was extremely disappointed,

Why?

whats wrong with it

I dont know, it was just kinda bland and underwhelming on the inside. It was really neat thinking it was 2000 years old but other than that it was pretty boring.

Saint Peters Basilica was absolutely amazing though, nothing else I have ever seen in real life has amazed me as much as that place and I am not even that interested in the Renaissance.

How is this a mystery? It’s not suprising to find a building with additions, or reclycling of stone for other projects.

>Or that the pantheon was constructed from the ruins of Agrippas bath which was literally located and connected to the south of the Pantheon
Unlikely, considering the baths were in operation for six centuries after the current Pantheon was built.

The ruins of the baths were mined for material in the middle ages though, that much is true.

its a mystery because no historian can agree on what it was and records are sparse

The columns came from Egypt. I thought the commonly accepted explanation for the obvious mismatch was that one or more of the columns broke during transport and they had no choice but to cut the rest of them down.

>duuuuuuude
>like
>where's the fuckin cool shit duuuuuuude

>user it's a remarkable work of ancient architecture, at the heart of the western world's capital for 2,000 years

>yeah but duuuuude
>fuckin concrete an shiit duuuuuue

>transatlantic plebian detected

Translated in English this reads as: "I think the Capitol building is far superior"

Surely there are plenty of great pictures of the actual Pantheon?

I haven't seen any, have you?

name a better building in rome then

The forum

The Flavian amphitheatre

The Theatre of Pompey and Nero's Golden House.
Both of which I can visit from the comfort of my own home.

Most of the shit in Rome is actually kind of disappointing, anyone who's actually been there can probably tell you that.
All of the old ruins that you usually see in such nice pictures are actually extremely cordoned-off and crowded with so many people you can't really get a good look at anything.
The Vatican was pretty cool though they have the museum very well organized and administered so you actually get to see a lot of the old artwork up close.

History's Mysteries was a great show on early History Channel

I found the impressive stuff was the stuff that isn't famous or that you stimbled upon. I remember this one area, some kind of palace, and they were using the ruins to house abandoned cats. Picture a giant head of some Emperor and a litter of cats just chilling in the eye.

I agree about the Vatican. I remember the line for the Sistine Chapel was literally a mile long. My Dad and I just walked in to the cathedral, went down to the catacombs (where there were some BABE Italian women still mouring over John Paul II's shrine) and went right up to the top. Even talked a bit with a very bored Swiss Guardsmen. All without any line.

When I was a child I was awestruck

Where can I see Neros Golden House

Fucling retard

Porch or portico?

Dude, that cat "sanctuary" was a trip to just stumble upon. The best things are al ways a surprise, that and the people.
I remember me and my sister walking up this hill, I can't remember where, something about old gardens being there. You could see the whole city just about, I remember seeing the old circus maximus and with the sun setting behind it. There was this huge porch atop this hill, with benches and a fountain, there was no one there, it was the quietest place I found in that city.

I miss old history channel

bump

Just go out of season like a non-pleb. the weather is still decent, and you don't have to wait in line ever

whens a good time to go? march? februaray?