Hi guys

Hi guys,

I've been going to the gym for about two weeks straight now and I was wondering if you guys could please provide some criticism of the program I've put together. Please let me know if I should be doing certain exercises and/or getting rid of others.

PS I'm know I'm weak as shit!

Upper Body (Day 1)

3x8 Dumbbell Bicep Curl (max 25 lbs, want my left hand to catch up to my right hand – broke it a long time ago). 3x8 One Arm Palm-Up Wrist Curl (20 lbs)

3x8 Dumbbell Lateral Raise (15 lbs)

3x8 Bench Press (20 lbs – excluding the bar)

3x8 Cable Overhand Pull (70 lbs)

4x8 Triceps Pushdown (40 lbs)

Lower Body (Day 2)

3x8 Barbell Squats (110 lbs)

3x8 Calf Raises (270 lbs)

3x8 Leg Press (540 lbs)

3x8 Lying Leg Curls (110 lbs)

3x8 Thigh Abductors (145 lbs) – my hips and groin area are weak as hell

3x8 Thigh Adductors (145 lbs)

3x8 Leg Extensions (? Doing this first time today)

Back and Core (Day 3)

3x5 Deadlifts (160 lbs)

3x8 Hyperextensions (Back) – no weights, I’m fat enough

Planks – 1 set 60 seconds, 2nd set 30 seconds

3x20 – Crunches

3x20 – Leg Raises

3x20 – Oblique Crunches

Cardio (Day 4)

Run or Walk or Mix – 10 KM minimum

Its too much for a beginner

user, please just do a program. This doesn't make any sense. In 3 months, presumably after you finish SS, you can dick around all you want.

Really? My body can handle it but I feel like I'm missing more exercises

Where can I find a programs? I just need names of exercises and recommended sets/reps. I have an app that helps keep me on track

Thanks user

Read the sticky or search "starting strength." Any variation on the SS program should be fine.

You need to work out abs... its a waste of time. Don't go bicep curls, do actual squats, not faggy barbell squats. You are basically doing to much shit.

Squat
Deadlift
Chest
Overhead press

Do those 4 and add a little supplemental stuff.

I'm going to hijack OP's thread

I've also been going to the gym for about two weeks.

>Started with SL first week, changed to GS now.
>Only go Mon Wed Fr

Should I try C25k on Tu Thu and Saturdays? I'm on vacation ATM. Or will this be worse for me in the end? I'm trying to cut and lose some weight (like 16 lbs).

Just do fucking SS

That's exactly how you should do it

>Should I do cardio? Or will this be worse for me? I'm trying to cut
Yes you absolutely should. But (assuming caloric deficit) don't expect many strength gains.

Thanks
I guess when I reach my weight loss goal I'll start just doing lifts, I have a month left so I can go to the gym freely.

How much should I wait to go run after lunch? 2 hours? 1 hour?

Here.
Upper day
Bench 3x5
OHP 3x5 (alternate order)
Chinups

Lower day
Squats 3x5
DLs 1x5

Or just do SS. Please don't improvise until at least 1 year into training. Please.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Don't cut cardio out of your training. The amount of calories you burn from doing cardio is negligible

>I guess when I reach my weight loss goal I'll start just doing lifts
I assume that means you will stop cardio. Don't.
What I did was change my cardio from non lifting days to right after the lifting session, so that I still got some cardio in, but I had more time to rest until the next lifting session.
Of course, you should expect your cardio performance to drop because you should be tired from the lifting and also you may gain weight.
But it is always better than no cardio at all.
So that way you get the best of both worlds: you focus 100% on your lifting and still do some cardio on the side without affecting your lifting at all

Thanks
Yeah I study full time at Uni so I'll be able to lift without a problem when classes start but I'm not sure I can go everyday for cardio. I'll try to cardio after doing weights so I don't lose the habit then.

Gonna prepare to the gym after lunch now, thanks dudes, you're an inspiration

>Did SL for 2 weeks and now I'm switching
what the fuck am i reading

I switched because I didn't think that program was good enough, and I found GS good enough for me

>ditching a terrible program for an okayish one
I don't see a problem, Mehdi.

>doing only 3 sets of squats once a week as a beginner

enjoy your nogains

Okay, it's twice, but still not enough squats

T-rex detected.

>3x8 everything
Switch to 4x8 or anything with more volume. Volume beats weight and intensity when you're new and still learning form.

>9 million exercises
Stick to 7-8 tops. You're new, work on getting stuff right first.

>3 day split
Stick to one routine. You're new, you're trying to do too much at once.

You're doing 3+ compound exercises which is great, but you don't need the 10 million accessories. Look at Arnolds Golden Six routine, it's literally 5 exercises that will get you further ahead than 90% of Veeky Forums if you stick at it for 6 months.

Do less, do it right and progress more.

Do incline bench instead of normal bench but with more weight and less reps. Get a spot too that last rep you wouldn't do on your own is super important for gains.

Try and break this into 2 work outs and rotate that work out 3-4 times a week (2 & 2) and for back do weighted chin ups (6 as max rep), and deadlifts only. That's the mother of all combinations.

Your weight levels are also way off. You should be doing weights that seriously challenge your body so experiment with doing lifts with weight you could probably only do up to 4 reps with.

Lastly, when you get to your max rep use 2.5 pounds as your next stepping stone. (2.5 per each side of the bar if it's bench press)

Fuggg thanks anons!!