What do you do when other gym members or PT try to give you unsolicitated and most of the time bullshit advice...

What do you do when other gym members or PT try to give you unsolicitated and most of the time bullshit advice regarding your form/program?

Situation from today

>Have to switch gyms from a local small place to a big commercial gym
>New gym have bunch of roided PTs who only do machines and always give their clients horrible isolation based bro splits
>do a set of low bar squats
>315lbs for reps
>huge, bald dude with no legs lumbers next to you and virtually starts shouting
>what the fuck are you doing? do you want to fuck your shit up? this isn't squat, keep your torso upright, ask for advice if you don't know what are you doing!

he vanished before I even got a chance to speak. whatever man I thought and continued to 3,5pl8. I still felt his gaze at my back throughout the entire workout. and this is not even the first time, a while back some other guy told me to keep my entire back flat while benching. I'm seriously considering changing gyms, people look on me like I'm an alien when I as much as mention powerlifting

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sNSKqInTi_8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tell em to mind their own damn business and keep doing whatever
and call em an autistic fag or w/e and give em a kiss on the cheek

Just ignore them. Like literally pretend they're not there. That will not only piss them off but also discourage them from speaking to you again. If possible switch gyms. The ones polluted with bb pts are the purest form of cancer

I tend to smirk and say: yeah, right bub and proceed to put more weigth into the lift

look like you lift and they'll leave you alone

Had a similar experience at a gym I used to go to.
>Benching 2.5 plates for 5x5
>DYEL personal trainer comes up to me after second set.
>"you shouldn't arch your back man, it makes me cringe when i see people doing that"
>Whatever. Continue to bench.
>Approaches me again
>"You need to change your form, your gonna get hurt man."
>I am now triggered.
>Literally tell the PT to fuck off, your advice is not wanted, go and clean up the gym like you are paid to do and go give shit advice to people who want it. You can't even bench what i'm doing so leave the big boys alone.
>Manager is called and I receive a warning for being abusive.

Safe to say I am no longer a patron at that gym. Cancelled my membership that night.

Can confirm.
Being 95kg at 12% bf was the end of people giving unsolicitated advice.

Being 110kg at don'tgiveafuck% now, people ask me for advice, but only when I'm resting and start by apologizing for taking my time
>feels good man.

>this shit happens

Been a member of several gyms over the past 10 years and have never, not even once, received unsolicited advice from anyone. Not even from people who work there. How do you guys manage to surround yourselves with these shitlords? It must be a geographical thing.

>What do you do when other gym members or PT try to give you unsolicitated and most of the time bullshit advice regarding your form/program?

They don't. What the fuck.

If they did, I would just politely tell them that I'm fine.

A swole bodybuilding dude in his twenties wanted to give me advice of instead doing Military Presses to do wider grip half range of motion twerking to "target my deltoids more", after his tutorial he said "i dont lift with barbells, i only do OHP with dumbells".

I was very confused..

My cousin is an ex Finnish bench press champion, now hes in his 50's and his back is so fucked up he cant even squat 40 kg

they probably look like stereotypical neckbeards pushing 1xbw lifts

Been to 5-6 different gyms, always swapping cause I don't like chatting in the gym.

Confront them. You say he has no legs, tell him to show you what he means. If he deloads the weight, he's obviously not as strong and you can tell him to fuck off. If he doesn't hit parallel you can tell him to fuck off, if the weight crushes him then your problem just solved itself.
It's the socially acceptable form of put up or shut up.

I did it once, and just because I was the only one around this guy that otherwise was going to kill himself at the squat rack. You give advice when you see dangerous shit.

Don't like chatting either but certainly have never switched because of it. If I have earbuds in, no one talks to me unless to ask "are you using (insert gym equipment)?" Someone telling me what to do or giving advice is unheard of.

Should have left the weight on and asked him do demonstrate.

Yes but that's understandable. I'd do the same thing if I saw a skellington noob about to hang himself on the cable row machine cause he has no idea what he's doing.
Commenting to someone who clearly lifts about their bench form is entirely different.

To be fair, I'd say majority of 50 year olds have a hard time squatting 100 lbs.

>was teaching myself clean and jerk
>some guy gives me unsolicitated advice on my form and wishes me luck
>thank him and continue with good form
Everything went better than expected.

If you were buying groceries and some fag started yelling at you for buying the "wrong" brand youd tell them to fuck off, right?

>be dyel lanklet making noob gains
>start reg park's 5x5
>fuck up on some excercises apparently
>guy comes up
>tells me what I need to change
>thank him
Looking back he totally saved me from going to snap city.
>mfw I was backsquatting with my back fully upright
That must've looked retarded

My dad does 3x10 with 50 kgs

forgot to mention he is 68

Am I meant to tuck my shoulder in slightly and give my back an ever so slight arch when benching?

Congrats.
Still, it's hard to do most lifting exercises when you're 50. That's why athletes retire at an early age.

Say ok, thank them, smile and continue doing what you are doing

youtube.com/watch?v=sNSKqInTi_8 @ 60 year olds

My mom in her 50s squats and deadlifts. Athletes retire at an early age because an athlete in their prime in their 20s and 30s will always outperform someone in their 40s. Its not like they're so decrepit by the time they're old that they can't move, just that the young blood is better

Huh. Well user, I guess you got me there. Thanks for the enlightenment.

yeah, basically this. 195 lbs not sure bf % but bigger than 95% of peeps in gym and always lifting very heavy. People ask me for advice or leave me alone. Just keep lifting for a few years and educating yourself with youtube and bb.com

OP confirmed for a fat fuck
leave this board fat fuck

Wolverine is that you?

He's right.

Your shitty form tactics to try and squeeze out more weight is stupid.

> 3.5 plate squat
> OP doesn't look like he lift

give me a break
they do it because seeing people lifting real weights makes them feel inferior

> tfw no deadlifting mom

try telling them politely "it works for me and I'm making progress off it without hurting myself"
and if they keep going then politely tell them to "fuck off"

>Benching 5x5
>Guy notices me and observes what I'm doing
>Asks what kind of program I'm on
> Tell him I'm doing ICF which focuses on both strength and hypotrophy.
>Goes ahead and says "That's not how you can do it man, you can only train for one or the other, do 6 reps on your next set, here I'll help you spotting"
>blank stare and agree with everything he says and tell him I'm fine.

Not sure about the twerking and half range, but it sounds like he was telling you to Klokov press which is great for lateral deltoid development. I wouldn't use it as a substitute though

>>Be Personal Trainer At Planet Fitness
>>See some guy about to kill himself wo=ith 3.t pl8
>>Give him advice
>>He stops lifting grabs his cell phone and goes to the massage chairs
>>See him via camera making a thread here
>> kek picture related

I give advice, but only to obvious DYELs (benching 70 lbs, deadlifting 80 lbs etc...) My reasoning is that I was in their shoes at one point, but I had my older brother helping me with form and whatnot at the beginning.

>one guy was struggling with like 70 lbs on the bar
>think it's just because he's weak
>look at his hand placement
>left arm is about a foot closer to the left sleeve than the right arm is to the right sleeve
>wat
>wait for him to finish and ask him why his hand placement is so off center (act like he was doing it intentionally)
>he wasn't
>show him how i center my hands
>also mention that he should ditch the clamps when benching solo incase he fails
>tell him about the roll of shame
>he thanks me and seems genuinely happy

felt good cause i had a shit bench day, but at least his got a little better

unsolicited advice goes well if you're cool about it, and seem like you know what you're doing
when people bitch on here about it it's because the advice is bad and/or given by total d-bags.
Keep giving advice the way you do

I only give advice if someone is doing something genuinely dangerous. otherwise, it's not my duty nor my business to interfere. I am here to lift, none of these people are my friends, don't wish to speak to them, leave me alone.

kek

Did you forget to tip the receptionist? That's probably why they're giving you shit.

Is having your butt and upper back on the bench with a little arch in between not correct though?

Friend is basically in the fast lane to snap city and hates it when i even mention form. If a bigguy4you would say it to him he might be saved

heh, ive done this once and the guy didn't even take me up on it. i was a good deal shorter than him too.

thats correct, dont listen to him

>Doing seated db press with gym bro for them shoulder gains
>Next to us, a chubby manlet with curly hair teaching a 6/10 grill how to lift
>Final set, push some 80s
>Rerack weight
>Out of nowhere I notice the guy is standing next to me, talking to me
>Can't hear him, music still playing
>Take out earphone
>"...-for your triceps"
>"Sorry, what?"
>"What you're doing primarily works out the triceps instead of the shoulders, so you should do this instead-"
>Grabs an 80 I racked
>Proceeds to demonstrate
>Struggles to lift
>shouldihelpthisguy.jpeg
>Barely succeeds doing a circus db press
>"...Like this.."
>"Ohh, ok"
>Walk away

>Be at gym
>Squat lmao1.5plat
>Dude comes up to me after set
>You're squatting too low.
>Dudewut?
>im kidding bro those look great
>oh ha thanks man
>He fades away to the dumbell rack

Not a bad day

Ur mum needs a shave m8

yeah thanks for the reply, OP

and no that doesn't make you big, it makes you efficent at a specific movement.

i know small as fuck guys who do as much as that.

That dude is a true alpha