So after watching these olympics i want to start swimming

so after watching these olympics i want to start swimming.

is it true that swimming indoors causes asthma?

is it worth the tradeoff or should i just stick to using the elliptical for my cardio gains?

No that's not true. Also, you won't die with the fan on at night. 안녕

google "total immersion swimming"

swimming is like 95% technique

I'm also interested in swimming when uni starts back up. Whats the easiest swim style to learn for cardio gains?

If u really wanna make gains any swim style will do. If you wanna be a over achiever do butterflies

I used to do competitive swimming for ~14 years. Some of my friends I trained with are competing in olympics now.

Swimming indoors can lead to asthma, but largely in poorly ventilated pools. There has been research on this done to prove it.

Front crawl is the best technique in this case, gives you the most cardio workout.

Breast stroke is shit, dont do it it fucks up your knees, a few of my friends have had to get knee surgery due to breaststroke.

Im this guy.

I also used to do swim instructing before I got my finance related internships in university.

There will be a certain progression needed to learn good technique if you are totally new and don't know how to swim and will take at the very best a few weeks (like 6-7) before you start seeing fruits of your labour.

>Front crawl
front crawl is the same as freestyle right?

Chest
Back
Freestyle
POWERGAP
Butterfly

Yeah same thing. There are only 4 strokes.

Freestyle/Backstroke/Breast stroke/Butterfly

Butterfly most demanding, breast stroke least demanding and damages your knee joints.

eh

>Butterfly most demanding
just watched a video.

holy shit RIP rotator cuffs

competitive strokes

side stroke, if you ever need to carry someone
treading water, if you need to stay in one place or play water polo
doggy paddle, because fuck you
etc.

not to mention that swimming with fins is totally different. rough water swimming with fins is so fucking god tier that olympians regularly drown in the attempt.

Rotary cuffs don't get killed as bad as knee joints, but there is definently some strain there. Difference is rotary cuff was meant to have that degree of freedom, knees were not.

But yeah when I was off for a few months even 200m fly was exhausting.

Sure, but you're not going to be doing any of those, if your sole purpose is that of a workout imo.

>is it true that swimming indoors causes asthma?
It's true that it can cause allergies if the chlorine isn't kept in check OR if the swimming pool has poor ventilation.
I, for one, can't go any more to an indoor swimming pool because of a pool which has notoriously caused this allergy to chlorine to practically the whole small town where I live. They used to keep the maximum legal level of chlorine AND they did have poor ventilation (100% recycled air) in winter. Now they changed administration, and it doesn't happen any more.

I can swim in an indoor swimming pool; but, if I do, I'll have a bad sneeze for about 12 hours starting more or less one hour after having left the pool.

If the pool is open/outdoor there's no issues at all. Same in the sea obviously.

If you do it for the physique, mind you. Gym is better and faster, all all those athlete go to gym as well.

>No that's not true
Shut the fuck up.

How to get a swimmer's physique without swimming ? Looks like everyday is lat an shoulders day

>Gym is better and faster, all all those athlete go to gym as well
you mean its better to do other forms of exercise (at the gym) rather than swimming?

i know running is really good but my knees cant handle the stress anymore

Well swimming will build a lot of lean muscle, and won't be showy. Obviously mass is best built at the gym, which is why I life for ~45 mins and then go for a 30/45min swim and clear like 2-3km in that time.

i guess the body isnt that important to me. honestly i just want to make sure my heart is healthy as fuck; im pretty much deciding between elliptical all day vs swimming.

swimming is probably more efficient right?

SUMMER BREEZE MAKES ME FEEL FINE

Probably.

I think another added advantage of swimming is it's low impact and it trains some of your smaller muscles that maybe your core workout or cardio aren't hitting; avoids serious injuries.

Im also biased because I swam for over a decade

aside from obviously butterfly swimming; do you think i have to worry about dislocating my shoulder when swimming freestyle?

>Started swimming laps for the first time maybe two weeks ago
>Freestyle
>Had to relearn how to hold my breath
>Water still gets up nose
>Can't exhale continuously or properly
>Can't breathe off to side without swallowing a bit of water or something idk it sucks tho
Halp
I get the feeling I need to learn to breathe before I can worry about form. I don't think I look like a TOTAL idiot anyways, I can move from one end of the pool to the other, just get tired quickly. Can you give me some breathing pointers? Specifically exhaling? What shape should I be making with my mouth? How forceful? Where should I be pointing my head and looking? Thanks swim senpai.

>Breast stroke
arm movement without whipping your legshard/kick tenderly to prevent fucking up the knees??

swimming is a better form of cardio than running for your knees and joint
swimming won't replace gym
then again, if you have these problems with your knees/joints, you can switch to HIIT and/or try to change shoes too.
>swimming will build a lot of lean muscle
>a lot
meh. Not really. That's really pushing too hard expectations from swimming alone.
Swimming-pool-only physiques (even people who go swimming 3 times a week) are absolutely average. It's just a form of cardio for anyone who doesn't add (like you say you do yourself) some gym to it.

If I'm a newfag to swimming, are regular trunks ok to swim some laps in, or should I get a proper suit?

No.

I have a shoulder pop out problem, but I am pretty sure that was from a childhood injury and happens during gym sometimes. I've never heard of anyone dislocating shoulder while swimming.

Okay, you shouldn't be holding your breath. Every time your head is under water you should be exhaling with your nose and your mouth slowly and continuously.

An exercise you can do to practice this is blowing bubbles under water. It sounds a tad childish, but it will make your breathing technique much better.

For more advanced stuff in terms of freestyle its largely just a practice thing, as you said you started 2 weeks ago, so you're going to feel like this for next few weeks at least...

The process for proper breathing is :
- Taking a stroke, tilting head to the side
- Breath in with half of your mouth open at the top (takes practise)
- Put down your head into water as your arm completes the stroke
- Slowly blow out as to make the breath last until next stroke

Another thing just crossed my mind. You could do hypoxy laps... This is one of the drills that was done to me, where you'd have to breath every 5,7,9,11,13,11,9,7,5 stroke and repeat. Obviously scale this down for yourself.

>Specifically exhaling? What shape should I be making with my mouth? How forceful?
man, I never thought about that. I wouldn't care too much about the "shape of your mouth", just be ready to inhale when you rotate your head. Don't fucking care about the expression of your face and the like. You obviously shouldn't exhale forcefully immediately before you rotate your mouth, you should exhale continuously whilst you're with your face down and be ready to inhale the best you can when you're about to rotate the head.

No, obviously if you don't move the legs you won't get knee injuries, but breastroke's power comes from the kick. If you REALLY want to do breastroke try using a pullbuoy for your legs.

Largely irrelevant, I would stick to less baggy trunks if you're just starting off, as it will increase drag and make it harder for you to swim. In fact we would use something called a drag suit for training, which marginally increased drag.

I personally used jammers and leg skins, board shorts for normie events such as going to beach

everyone on fit is a fucking idiot when it comes to swimming

bump

CANT WAKE UP

You could always do breaststroke with a dolphin kick if you're just swimming for cardio. I always found that to be a more natural movement with the upper body motion tbqh

It doesn't cause asthma, but there are a lot of skin and respiratory issues that can arrize if the pool isn't VERY well maintained, and many places have very poor pool maintenance.

>Also, you won't die with the fan on at night

mfw I'm a weeb and I know that superstition

>elite athlets
>on roids 100%
>after pump
>sport is not only the development but also the selection
OP, you are retard

he is so cute, how can someone be so qt