Veeky Forums Philosophy

What is the most Veeky Forums friendly philosophy?

You're on the right track. Generally speaking, anything that rewards and respects the work and accomplishments of the individual are good. Anything that promotes excuses and mediocrity is not.

Obviously this isn't 100% true across the board. We don't need to celebrate the accomplishments of a serial killer, for example. But as we look back through history, as people invent and build things, humanity is generally improved (even if the person only invented/built the thing for selfish personal gain.)

The man himself.

Nietzsche

What is Stirner's whole philosophy? I know its something about ego and spooks. Give me the quick rundown

You should act in your self interest and not put any idea(spooks) above yourself ie Relgion, nationalism, communism, etc. he mostly made fun of left hegenians and triggered Marx pretty badly(Marx dedicated a whole section in the "German ideology" to badly refuting stirner's ideas. He is basically ayn rand without the retarded worship of free market capitalism.

Do you believe that whether a person is fat or fit is largely due to circumstances that are beyond their control?

Building wealth really isn't much different. Whether you are talking about poverty or obesity, people make their own luck, for the most part.

>Ayn Rand

Oh boy

Diogenes and his fellow shitposters.

>His name was Phocion. At the monthly meetings of the Athenian Assembly, were the laws were enacted, Phocion would always cast his vote against the majority, convinced that the many are invariably stupid. If the many say yes, the answer must be no. If they say white, it must be black. If they say good, it must be bad. There is a report (Plutarch, Anthony, 70) in which we are told that once, on a rare occaison when he spoke to the people at the Assembly, he, mounting on the speaker's platform, informed them that he had decided to cut down a big fig tree on a piece of property he owned outside of the city walls. His intention was, he said, to build a small house on the spot where the tree was. He was making this announcement, he added, in order to invite anyone, citizen or not, to take advantage of the tree in order to hang himself, which was the best thing most of them should do. He would provide the rope.

Ayn Rand is up there for most retarded """""philosopher""""" of all time. Only pseudo intellectual children and manchildren read her

Whining about "I can't get ahead in life because of racism/opportunity/etc." is really no different than fatties whining about "I can't lose weight because of genetics/conditions/etc."

Except one of these problems exist and the other does not

stoics. greeks in general. existentialists.

Stoicism.

ayn rand is stupid and wasn't a philosopher

How about maybe giving some specific reasoning or examples instead of just calling anyone you don't like names, like a manchild would do?

TRP

All you need are the words of Jesus Christ.
This guy is on the right track.

I'm not going to spoonfeed you. Honestly if you like Ayn Rand I doubt there's much I could do for you anyways.

But basically, I don't like her because she sets up these absurd dystopian societies and uses them to glorify her extreme individualism. She plays up her philosophy as righteous and inspired, but it can be easily boiled down to "fuck other people," which is not only brutally simplistic, but also a childish way for a person to look at the world since quality of life is undeniably better in some form of cooperation or community (ex. specialization of industry).

this

in one book he actually says that you need to go to the gym to become the übermensch.

I'd say this board is more about Epicureanism, Stoics believed in a higher plan which the wise man had to accept, embrace and follow, and that he had to kill himself when he was useless to it. Epicureans thought that you should seek pleasure, that there were no gods (at least no Gods taking care of humans), that pain and death aren't to be feared, that nature itself was chaotic (atoms clushing towards each other guaranteed free will) and that the purpose of life was the search for pleasure. Real pleasure, of course, consisted in a sort of asceticism similar to what a wise stoic should have lived to, but an epicurean is responsable for his own happiness, unlike a stoic

Also Marcus Aurelius's value as a philosopher is controversial
Read Cicero or the Greeks

>dyels thinking there's some deep ideology that all of Veeky Forums shares
half the board can't even decided if carbs are good or bad. There is no base shared ideology, you're just fucking dyels trying to sound smart.

this, I am 100% sure that anons who ask/participate in "is X Veeky Forums approved" do not even lift.

There's no such thing as a systematic racism in the western world, therefore it's nothing worth whining about

Virtue Ethics

No. Greek philosophy doesn't accept the human will as you are perceiving it, for them, you are a piece of nature and you follow a whole script, you don't choose your life, you don't decide to get Veeky Forums, don't decide to get stronger than you are, you just accept what "nature" gave you.
I'd say Veeky Forums people are nihilists are worst, existentialist at best and mostly utilitarians.

OW SHIT I FORGOT TO TAKE OFF MY NICKNAME

All credibility of your opinions is lost

>Ayn Rand

/r9k/ "I hate the whole world because a girl once made fun of my skinny arms" downie tards detected. Get the fuck off this board

So he was /v/'s progenitor?

There is no one true philosophy that fits Veeky Forums just as there is no one true philosophy that fits individuals. Philosophers' ideas are colored by their own experiences. That said, I like existentialism.

Stoicism is the only correct answer honestly. Nihilism and existentialism are just exercises in mental masturbation.

Nietzsche was a lonely manlet loser and a hack. Schopenhauer was everything Nietzsche wanted to be, but failed, so he humanized his poorly fed religious upbringing.

>tfw brown
>read contemporary "literature" from libs since the literary scene is filled with them
>its all WE WUZ and DATS RACIST
White people have been the nicest to me tbqh

>Ayn Rand
>Philosophy

Lol! Pick one. Rand was a fucking idiot.

Rousseau is my favorite philosopher. Specifically this quote is my favorite

"Force made the first slaves, and their cowardice perpetuated the condition." - Social Contract

Changed my world view. Stopped blaming other people for the bad things that happened to my life. Starting blaming myself because I kept allowing it to happen

Marxism-Leninism comrade. Lift for the glory of the people.

>Building wealth really isn't much different.
lmao

All philosophy is mental masturbation.

At least nihilism keeps it to a minimum.

becoming the ubermench

Philosophy is garbage in this day and age. Science is where it is at.

That is a philosophy you retard.

You're part of the problem you know.

Philosophers thinks and just stops there. Scientists think and experiment to see if what they thought was true.

Science produces doctors, inventors, physician, professor, chemist etc. Philosophy produces college student with useless degree who goes on to work as a starbucks barrista or philosophy professor.

Remember philosophy didn't get us to the moon, science did.

As does modern analytic philosophy.

Philosophy forms the entire basis of Western civilisation.

Not at all, but that is how she is strawmanned

All of her protagonists have cluster B disorders

Ask me how I know you're underage. Philosophy, especially metaphysics, is extremely important to the sciences because it asks the questions which give science direction. For example, molecular theory was first advanced by a philosopher who had no way to know if it was true or not. But it gave future scientists something to investigate. The same thing is true today.

t. chemistry major

From letter XV of Seneca's moral letters to Lucilius:

>Now there are short and simple exercises which tire the body rapidly, and so save our time; and time is something of which we ought to keep strict account. These exercises are running, brandishing weights, and jumping

The stoics advised against becoming a full-blown aestheticsfag overly obsessed with one's physique, but it's dishonest to say they tell us to "accept what nature gave us" regarding fitness. They straight up tell us to exercise and eat in moderation.

Take this from a Ruskie - Fuck off

A serial killer's work are not in any way, shape, or form an action of individuality. You need a single unit to be individual, being a killer requires an action with another participant. Killing is not "selfish" in the sense that it doesn't pertain to the single person

This desu.

Philosophy is the front trench in the siege of truth. Proper philosophy sets up the ground work.

You know as well as I do that curiostiy and asking questions is honestly forbidden in the sciences today.

This

>Today, when the herd animal in Europe is the only one who attains and distributes honors, when “equality of rights” all too easily can get turned around into equality of wrongs—what I mean is into a common war against everything rare, strange, privileged, the higher man, the higher soul, the higher duty, the higher responsibility, the creative fullness of power and mastery

Tell me this doesn't sound like Tumblr attacking fit people.

Someone didn't start with the Greeks.

you don't know what you're talking about. Which is surprising since it's not that difficult.

Epicurianism. It is the philosophy of personal gain, improvement, enjoyment of life, independence, and above all, complete rationality in regards to mans existence and relationship to the spiritual world, which is needless.

Also I'm seeing a lot of nihilism in this thread, need to say that those are the most pathetic, low test, dyel, spineless faggots in the world. Apathy does not make you more intelligent, just cowardly.

wew

Yes, but what does the fedora represent?

wow, thank you for contributing that insightful and unique response

liberals. WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?

I like this user. You've clearly thought about things opposed to most. Might not agree with your opinion on everything were we to discuss and vice versa but at least I can see the logic behind your conclusions.

The God of Abraham.

Existential Nihilism, which is what I assume you are talking about, is the belief that life is without objective or intrinsic meaning, purpose or value.

Stay mad that you are such a coward you have to lie to yourself in order to get through life.

Could you elaborate? Why should one pursue such a belief? Why would one believe life is without objective, purpose or value?

Until someone can prove that life does have an objective purpose, meaning or value why would you believe otherwise?

You'll never know anything objectively anyway so find value on your own like the rest of us.

They won't. They're the manlets of the political spectrum

If value and meaning in this life isn't as plain as the nose on your face and, seeing as you show no interest in searching out your purpose, you will most likely lust after things that hold no weight and leave you empty. May you one day change your mind.

Nihilists are so uppity about it like they know all the answers. Guess what, you won't know if life has meaning or not until you actually die. No need to be an edgy emo about it while you're alive

But it's already proven, tho. By countless generations before you and by all the other species around us.
You're here to reproduce, teach your descendants to be better than you, and then die. We don't need to know anything else, since it's probably too complicated for us anyway

yo this

add to it what you will but fundamentally, this.

who /kierkegaard/ here

I do make my own subjective purpose and values. I just don't pretend they are objective.

If meaning is that obvious And you are the only one who sees it you are either the smartest or the dumbest person in the word. I'm betting dumbest.

That's because there are no answers and there are no questions.

What a stupid argument, by your logic you won't know if the tooth fairy is real until your dead. Do you believe in the tooth fairy?

Says who?

Darwin rolls in his grave everytime someone says things like this.

You clearly aren't familiar with the Darwin's last years. Go read my child.

No longer dignify this edgy edgy scrublord with a response.

But you see that is the point of life, to ascribe your own meaning. This statement in itself is the objective truth, that life itself has no objective meaning.

With that established, what meaning does the philosophy of nihilism have? Hell, when you break it down into epistemological or ontological terms, nihilists believe that reality may not even exist. What purpose then does nihilism serve mankind if not an agent of complete, general, and total lack of meaning? it's a home for the mentally weak and the intellectually infirm who lack any spark of curiosity.

Why is that homie? If you look at how life is now and how it has been for so many years isnt this a logical conclusion youll jump to?

You entire post is gibberish.

>your dead
*You're dead
>That's because there are no answers and there are no questions.
You've got no arguments so you step down to demagogy. You can sometimes admit that someone's right, there's no shame in that.
>Do you believe in the tooth fairy?
You can actually prove the tooth fairy is not real. Next question.

We can't even travel out of our own galaxy, and you want to find answers as to why we're here? I think you're getting ahead of yourself a bit, nihlist.

I mean there's a lot of bureaucracy, but I wouldn't call curiosity dead in the sciences. Especially not in the private sector.

You provide evidence that not all human races are genetically equal and what happens to you? They publicly shame you and degrade you so much that you have to sell your Nobel price so you won't have to become homeless. True story.

You have no real concept of nihilism beyond what you read in memes.

Just work on your reading comprehension m8, it's hard to break down an argument into simpler terms in an argument like this. Read a book or something.

How so?

Well now I need to read the story. I haven't heard anything about this.

It was one of the dudes who co-discovered DNA - James Watson

I made no arguments in the technical sense because no one in this thread has either. No one has even attempted to logically argue for objective meaning or purpose to life. There is nothing for me to respond to.

>You can actually prove the tooth fairy is not real.

Please do so then.

>We can't even travel out of our own Galaxy, and you want to find answers as to why we're here? I think you are getting ahead of yourself a bit, nihilist.

I take it from this statement you accept that you cannot prove life has objective purpose or meaning and your response is to believe (in the absence of any reason for doing so) that one day humanity will be able to. Yet, you think I'm getting ahead of myself?

"I'm too dumb to make it"

Yes, you're quickly jumping to conclusions that there is no objective purpose, therefore you're a nihilist.

As I've said earlier, there is an objective purpose to our lives - reproduce, teach descendants, die.

Prove it then!

>Prove it then!
Um, just take a look around, maybe? What's everybody doing right now? Sure, humans kinda lost their way, with the materialism and no need for fighting for survival, but look at all the other species. What are they doing all day? Gee whiz, is this what talking to an autist feels like?

Are you serious?

I understood it. Am I kool yet?

That's all you can come up with?

How does that prove anything?

You've just found your objective to why you've been born. Your mission.

What is this process for? Why does time exist? Why does space exist? Why does anything exist? Have some patience and wait for science to catch up to it, before jumping to conclusions and being all emo about it. For now, do what you're supposed to do. Or don't do it, but don't say you're not supposed to do it.