Starting Strength and Abs

Starting Strength and Abs.

>Been doing Starting Strength for 3 months
>Muscle soreness (DOMS) mostly went away after the first couple weeks
>Use Ab Wheel yesterday
>Today, massive soreness in my abs

I thought Starting Strength exercised the Abs as a part of Squats, Deadlifts and OHP. Shouldn't my abs be used to this strain? Why am I suddenly getting soreness from this Ab Wheel? I didn't even use it very much.

Do I need ab work on top of Starting Strength?

not having to do ab work because "muh main lifts works my abs indirectly" is a fucking meme
and worse yet, its a fucking meme thats really popular

do you want to lift heavy shit and put it back down? direct ab work will make you better at that
do you want to look aesthetic and have nice abs? then why the fuck wouldnt you do direct ab work?

do you also not do curls because "muh pullups work the biceps right guys?"

either way, whether its for aesthetics or for strength, direct ab work is highly beneficial

Not op, but also doing ss. What ab exercises would be most beneficial for looking aesthetic?

the reason why everyone says "SS is a meme" is because most people who lift do so for aesthetics purposes

if youre lifting to look good, why are you doing a strength oriented program?
thats like saying "i want to get better at fixing cars so im fixing motorcycles"
yeah, im sure theres some overlap, but why not just fix fucking cars

do ICF, or keep doing SS but add in your own accessory work

as for abs, you can start with floor leg raises, then progress to hanging leg raises
chances are if you havent done direct ab work, youre going to either not be able to do the ab wheel, or youll have horrible form
decline situps are good because you can progressive overload by holding something heavier and heavier

some people swear by cable crunches, i tried them out, didnt really like it desu

>doing SS and wanting to be aesthetic
wew
just stick to the program and change to a split when youre not a weakling anymore

this
i'm not sure who to blame for SS becoming a meme, its either the dyels doing it and thinking they will look like zyzz or the most experienced people recommending it for every little shit that posts here for the first time

Honestly the mindset should be switched. You should work on accessory work like abs to help with your main lifts. All power lifters and bodybuilders do that.

Ab work is a requirement. Do abs either as a warmup or cooldown, but do that shit every workout.

reverse grip pullups work for biceps, though

That's not true. I do ab work maybe every three weeks just to mix it up. My routine is 90% barbell and I have a great core.

pic: just grow a spine/a pair of balls and get some idgaf/abundance mentality and youre fine

if she doesnt like how you lead the relationship, she is free to leave after all

>and Abs.

Holy shit summer is in full effect innit?

>reverse grip pullups
well aren't you stupid

Stuff like SS or SL is designed to get you good at lifting on two counts -

1. It teaches you form on the basic heavy lifts, so you don't fuck yourself up down the line.

2. It teaches you to do heavy compound movements and build some basic strength, not fuck around doing a shitty bro-split for 5 years.

An adult male with no deformity/disability can go from the empty bar to "proper" lifts (1/2/3/4) in a year/18 months if they put the effort in and eat right. End of story.

Then you can move onto a proper routine to build aesthetics.

I personally do ICF, because I want to build the basic lifts and like the extra accessory work. Nearing 1/2/3/4 after a little under a year, so it works out fine. Then I'll hit a "proper" routine, something like Arnie's Mass Blueprint, which is a very intense and effective split routine if you are strong enough to do it properly, but is a pointless bro split if you can barely curl 50lbs.

DOMS is caused by novel stimulus to the nervous system, not extent of muscular fatigue or anything like that. Introducing a new motor pattern will cause DOMS regardless of the muscules involved's strength.

As such, DOMS is not an indication for effectiveness of a workout, ever.

Indirectly yes.
But if you want a strong core and not just a core strong enough to do the lifts, then you're going to have to specialize.

This is honestly why I think people should drop SS and dot he Reg Park routine instead.

SS is bare bones and teaches a nonstandard style of lifting.

>do ICF, or keep doing SS but add in your own accessory work

>advocates doing ab workout
>"thats not true, i do ab workouts"

are you retarded?

>either way, whether its for aesthetics or for strength, direct ab work is highly beneficial

Que?

Reverse grip chinups are pullups

Ah. Got my terms wrong. Whoops

Core =/= abs

Any opinions on strong bastard 911 by joe defranco? Also, I've been out of the gym for probably 5+ years after school sports ended. Should I start from square 1 (starting strength) or should I try joe sb 911?