Feels thread

>think lifting will cure my depression
>too depressed to lift

How do you lads deal with it? Is it going to get better by relentless lifting? I'm so hopeless I feel sick

Oh it will dude, you wont believe how quickly it will start once you begin

Is this right, though? It seems like lifting gives me a temporary respite from the cloying feels but they instantly percolate every living moment after i walk out the door of the gym, should I just stick with it?

You are not lifting enough. You need to drive yourself to exhaustion so you are numb leaving the gym.

Its a proces that develops you on much levels, nit only phyisical, so yes

Yeah, try and change your expectations a bit. Seems like you're expecting it to be a quick fix which it won't be. Keep doing it consistently, it doesn't need to be just lifting. You can do 30-min run/jog or long walks (I'm talking about 1h 30 min to 2h long) when you don't feel like lifting on certain days. Just stay active in physical activity. Set a short term goal of being consistent with physical activity for a month. Then you can re-evaluate how your mental health is doing after that. I would bet you'll see improvements in your mood.

Also I'm not saying you need to do it everyday. I'd say at the minimum 3 days out of the week but if your depression is pretty bad, go for 4 or 5 days out of the week.

Recently persuaded a mate of mine to join my gym so i'm currently going 6 days a week

If you have depression, stop drinking alcohol and make some adjustments to your diet. Try not to eat out as much, especially fast food.

Also, if your depression is really bad, consider seeing a therapist and taking an anti-depressant.

I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder two years ago and became a suicidal, obese, alcoholic. I have been sober since March, lost 37lbs, and have stopped taking anti-depressants since April.

If you need help don't be afraid to ask for it from your friends, family, and doctor. Don't let the stigma of depression keep the knowledge your disease relegated to an anonymous image board. I did and it almost killed me.

I decided to quit being a bitch and dig myself out of it.

Seriously. Last October I got morbidly depressed. It was like every terrible thing that happened to me in the last 10 years all came back at once. The PTSD I got from mortar attacks in AF didn't help either, and I contemplated eating a bullet.

I talked to one of my school counselors, and it was an instant relief. I continued climbing out of that pit until I was free of it.

If I become slightly depressed, I think back on last year, and it instantly rebuilds my resolve, and I feel better because I *know* I'm better than that.

Tfw i have anxiety issues...

Started lifting a year ago

Started running 3 months ago
>Feels good man

Running will help you if you feel anxious

> When i dont run , i feel like im gonna implose, same for lifting , i have to fucking go out and sprint . That fucking iron bar keeps my mental issues in check .

> This is why i lift bros...

Is this OP? either way, 6 days seems excessive but then again I don't really know what you're doing each day. Be careful with overtraining, your body does need time to relax and recover.

work in more cardio . it's actually better for the feels than lifting.

but yea, you're not going to 'cure' it . it just makes you feel okay for a while.

Get up and get active.
You don't have to lift if you don't have it in you but you do have to do something.
Go for a long walk in the sunshine, do some pushups chinups situps and squats, and eat a good healthy meal.
Take an icecold shower and go to sleep at respectable hour

Thanks for the advice
I-i love you chaps

Find active friends.
You shouldn't have more than 2 hours of sedintary time in a day.
If you do, find a way to fix it.

Even when I worked an office job I would do squats, pushup, pistols, chair dips, etc at my desk.
I got an exercise ball, grip trainers and kept a powerblock under the deak.
I ran the 18 flights of stairs on my breaks.

More about doing right than about feeling right desu, at least for a while. How you feel is a lagging indicator.

Shitty, but there it is.

If it feels like a pain that you have to do this just to keep the depression away... consider this: We as humans were meant to be active, not just laying around in a room doing nothing. Our ancestors had to do a lot of physical activities (i.e. hunting, migrating, going out to gather resources - we didn't have cars back then so we walked everywhere) I could be wrong but that's the way I look at it. It's not like it sucks to be doing these physical activities though, maybe sometimes cause I feel lazy. But I always enjoy the feeling after a workout.

Exercise isn't the only way to reduce depressive feelings but it certainly is one way. Socializing and connecting with friends/family also does a good job at keeping depression at bay. We all need human interaction, some of us to a lesser degree than others, but nonetheless it's still needed. The feeling of loneliness sucks for a reason. It's your body telling you to go out and do something about it (to interact with people) or else you're going to suffer if you avoid interaction.

This so much, while I enjoy lifting more than anything running helps me feel so much better if im down or out of sorts.

treadmill at a fast pace with heavy strides for short distance or outside light or paced running for long distance

>stuck in the rumination cycle
Good luck escaping, OP!

I force myself to go. Preworkout or a rockstar can get me going. It helps to have a handle of vodka waiting at home though

>contemplating my failure to secure even a stable friendship with the opposite sex
>might never find "the one"
>can barely pay for college since i was a fuck in high school
>only thing i was really good at was drawing and i did't bother to improve all these years
>parents didn't give enough of a fuck to help me pay for school (gave mom $1200 i'll never see again of my college money to help pay for rent/car)
>see friends around me living it up, don't blame them for having rich parents though. one of them is even getting a fucking house he won't pay a dime towards
>losing faith in my religion (islam)

I'm fucking scared, Veeky Forums, I want to believe in God and religion but I don't know if I can.

But you are in college, after that you will hopefully be able to get a stable income and make it.

Religion never helped me