Why do people think starting strength is a meme?

Why do people think starting strength is a meme?

Because it was thoroughly researched by bodybuilders

kek

It's a program for athletes that skellies used

because Marcus Rippletits is a fat old cripple who hasn't coached a single relevant athlete in his lifetime

Idiots who applaud SS are complete cunts that think they understand basic physiology

What's a better program for someone who is looking to up his strength/lifts on the big three, and doesn't want something pure hypertrophy?

Just add 2 isolation exercises per body part after the big 3 exercises. Split it up into PPLPPLx or PPLxPPL.

Ice cream fitness helped me build a nice base

dog is FUCKING WILD

So would I only do the big 3 exercise that corresponds to the push, pull, or leg focus of the day?

Because your understanding of human anatomy is so totally gr8 m8.

Yes

And make some meal plans since you won't see gains if you just eat anything.

I've always heard people refer to PPL as a "brosplit" and that it is more for hypertrophy. Is this true, because if I get hypertrophy at the expense of strength, I would prefer SS

It's more of a strength+hypertrophy split.

Brosplits are programmed as:
>chest on monday
>back on tuesday
>legs on wednesday
>shoulders on thursday
>arms on friday

because they can't fathom not doing curls

Exactly my plan. Needless to say Im one of the best bodys in my gym

Because they can't get big

No wtf Wednesday is always rest day but legs can only be done on Wednesday so essentially leg day is skipped because it has to be

>Why do people think starting strength is a meme?

It is a meme. The fact that is a pop viral signifier has nothing to do with its effectiveness or its lack.

Because people are fucking retarded

"muh aesthetics, why don't I look like zyzz 6 months into SS?"

>posts a SS hate thread on Veeky Forums

That's not how it works. SS builds a strong, solid foundation for beginners who then have the full freedom to choose what program to transition to next with their newly acquired strength, or they can keep liftan and get stronger until they've reaped ALL the benefits SS has to offer.

SS/5x5 is not a meme, it's by far the most logical and effective program for novices.

I am back to lifting after a couple of years off and did a somewhat modified SS to regain my lost gains as quickly as possible. I changed it to alternating squat and deadlift so that my squat weight wouldn't run away (the two are close to each other for me) and took out power cleans to replace them with a horizontal and vertical pulling movement for upper back instead. Have seen great progress using it. I even surpassed my previous personal bests even though I was well into intermediate level when I quit and no stop seems to be in sight yet.

A
Squat 3x5
OHP 3x8
Weighted pull-ups 3x6

B
Bench press 3x8
Deadlift 1x5
Dumbbell row 3x8

Disregard the random rep ranges if you wish, I simply do what feels good for me on that particular exercise. I also add one or two high rep isolation exercises or do some abs at the end of the workouts if I have enough energy

NEVER SKIP LEG DAY

>OHP 3x8
>linear progression after two weeks

pick none

When should I stop using SS? I'm 80kg and I can squat 90kg, I'm scared that if I go higher I'm going to snap, would now be the time to look at other regimes?

Because it's a program that retards on Veeky Forums will recommend for every goal even though it only fits the specific goal of wanting to become more athletic.

Guess that's why I've reached 1plaet on it without stalling once

It's actually because you're fat.

Nah I'm actually pretty smelly. ~170lbs at 6'0

Lel skelly*, autocorrect

You'd definitely be fat if you were completely untrained @ 170. It's no secret that you can increase your OHP by gaining 30lbs from you starting point, but not everyone's goal is to permabulk and lift for power.

Either you're fat or you started with muscle and therefore it was easier for you to OHP 1plate than a fatty.

There's no such thing as "hypertrophy at the expense of strength" you fucking noob. Bigger muscles are stronger. The reason bodybuilders aren't lifting the same numbers as powerlifters is because they aren't training the *skill* of bench, squat and deadlift singles. However, if one turned their focus to powerlifting, they'd quickly surpass smaller people in terms of the weights they can lift.

Doing more work and accessories isn't going to make you less strong; you're just looking for an excuse to be lazy.

I'm not fat at all and while I do have an athletic background which probably have made it easier for me to progress, what's your point? You said linear progress beyond absolute beginner weight at OHP is impossible doing 3x8, and I told you that my results doing it speaks against you. Come with something of substance instead of trying to diminish my progress by calling me fat. I know people train with different goals, but that doesn't have any point here. The poster I replied to was asking for a strength program and I told him about mine.

Not him. My only point is that your success does not prove a program is good. Chances are with your weight and background you would have gotten further on a better program making bigger jumps.

I was saying you're either fat or already somewhat fit, because the most common ways to speed up progress are to already have part of the progress completed (be fit) or to eat a lot and sacrifice your relative strength for absolute strength, in the process becoming less lean.

It's a program designed to make 15 year old twinks put on a lot of quick mass for use in high school american football.

If that's not you it's a shit program.

>Great introductory program, gets put in stickies
>Newfags come and make new threads about what program they should do, showing that they didn't read the sticky
>Banter starts when someone recommends SS, but all the trolls start telling the OP its a meme.
>Rinse and repeat x1000
>Whole generation of Veeky Forums legitimately believe that SS is a meme because some trolls on Veeky Forums told them so.

>Why do people think starting strength is a meme?

>Ignorance
Newbies run it for a month expecting to look like Ahnold when they have no athletic background at all. Surprisingly, they don't look "aesthetic" right away.

>Lack of Novelty
The lack of exercises makes it boring for some newbies. They want to do 15 different exercises per day like they see the bros doing at the gym.

>Difficulty
Doing heavy compounds is hard. People don't like to work hard when they could "chase the pump" and feel bigger for an hour.

Then they get on Veeky Forums and whine that "SS is a meme, didn't work, all the big guys at the gym don't do it, cry cry".

I would get it if you were roasting me about doing three kinds of assistance presses, but three reps more per set won't make any notable difference in strength or recovery. I even told him to ignore the random rep ranges since those are just my personal favorites. I do if since it's the rep range during which I feel the most muscle activation without tiring myself out too much before the next exercise

3 reps per set makes a very noticeable difference at low reps. Plus OHP is fairly hard to progress linearly on even doing 3x5. There's a reason everyone on this board bitches about stalling; they blindly did SS. If you say your program works for you then by all means continue.

#
It doesn't though, the only difference is that I'm doing more reps on a bit less weight than I would be able to do 3x5. I'm still progressively overloading just as I would've done if I did a lower rep range. 3x5 isn't some magical formula for optimal gains, eating right and good form is

Oh and OHP being such a hard lift to progress on people are gonna stall eventually and have to micro load anyway, regardless if they're doing a couple of reps extra or not

SS will get your strength up faster than anything else you can find if you're willing to eat.

90kg is nothing lol. You can probably run SS till 140 maybe. SS ends when you can't fail multiple times to add weight to the bar after multiple resets while eating and sleeping properly.

This. When I ended SS I was squatting 145kg for 5

>regardless if they're doing a couple of reps extra or not
Why not do 3x12 then?

Because then you're starting to enter the point where lactic acid will tire you instead of only the weight. My point was that 3x5 vs 3x8 does not make a big difference

"Ice Cream fitness"
Don't ever say those 3 words together again you fkn retard. It's a copy and paste ripoff

I don't get how push, pull, and legs each have their own 3 main exercises. What are they?

"You're fat or lying, 8f I can't gain you can't either"
Go eat properly fuck tard, you might gain too

>It's a copy and paste ripoff
Almost every program that uses sets of 5 is a "copy and paste ripoff".

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

My main problem with SS is that it has no upper body pull or bicep involvement.

Most of the basement dwellers who come to fit for advice already have terrible posture with slouched shoulders, which stems from a tight chest/shoulders and weak upper back.

Doing a program that has negligible upper back work (aside from secondary recruitment during deadlifts) while hammering the chest and shoulders is going to result in even worse posture.

Throwing some rows/chins would make the program much better.

And from an American football or other contact sport perspective, rows are essential for a strong tackle.

>no bicep involvement

>week one, day one, literally tells you to do pull ups

M-muh curls

>if you're willing to eat.
This is my problem with SS. What if you're getting into fitness because you're trying to lose weight?

memes are okay

some people don't respect their memes and pay the price...

>mfw did brosplit my first year
>mfw I dropped 70lbs and gained muscle
>got a gf, confidence gains, etc
>mfw all the skinny and fat bros want help but think this split is too hard and quit a week or two later
I do PPLUL now but fugg I made nice gains on brosplit

shame greyskull and greyskull variants don't get the recognition they once did. excellent alternative to SS, adding an AMRAP day works wonders if you don't wanna go full brosplit

whoops, for that variant meant that AMRAP is used throughout the routine

Because they use it for aesthetics, not strength
So they're retarded

Because these people cannot squat
Whenever I see somebody "lol XD le 9gag SS meme". I know he is one of those faggots wear snapbacks and half squat then post on Instagram

And yes these people exist on Veeky Forums

>coaches body is related to coaches knowledge
KYS. By that logic no NBA coach should be allowed to tell 6'7" Jamal how to shoot

This. I learnt my deadlift and squat by SS and only by SS
I've lifted for years and even had $4000 worthy coaches in gym. Fucking rarely nobody irl know how to correctly perform them

And I don't strictly follow SS program because I'm not novice. But I benefit from SS so fuckihg much purely by improving my forms and understanding of human body

Morons on Veeky Forums think they could get mass without either roid or a barbell program is just laughable. So you think you can grow by doing machines and isolations on your arms??

Then you do something that's designed to lose fat instead of adding muscle?

Because this guy ran SS.

Notice the retarded legs and absolute lack of a chest.

Then you do SS and eat less. It's in the book, dude.

Which program besides SS is good for beginners aka started lifting a week ago with 0 strength?

Pretty much every beginner routine is just basic barbell lifts for sets of 5. SS, SL, and Greyskull are all very similar, but SS has a really good book to go with it.

W-what do you guys think about stronglifts? I'm a complete DYEL that's never really done any lifting in my life and I'm not comfortable doing power cleans.

SL is fine.
Power cleans aren't scary, though. They're nothing to be afraid of.

because they're retards who've never read the book

I have a nice chest, I need those legs

bump

most coaches are ex-nba. Kevin McHale, Tyron Lue, Steve kerr, Jason Kidd, Jeff Hornacek and Doc Rivers all played in the NBA, some even as great roleplayers or even stars of the team. Not all, but a lot have.

Because they start out of shape, only barely meet their macros, don't do cardio or get other exercise, and dont sleep enough.

You also have to accept not all bodies are equal on a genetic level so it's harder for some to see sustained progress without plateauing on any routine whichs leads them to give up.

ITT: People defending doing a total of 9 sets of one lat and biceps exercise per fortnight and saying it's good volume.

Power cleans do NOT replace upper back volume Veeky Forums. When will you learn? Chins barely even touch the rear delts and rotator cuffs are in a very advantageous position meaning they don't work as hard to llift the weight. Running SS for long periods of time will injure or leave you with imbalances, a balanced novice program will stall and then you switch programs without having to start horizontal pulling as if it's your first time ever training.

>macros
>for a complete beginner

Oh look it's THIS meme again.