OHP THREAD

OHP THREAD

Can you strict press your bodyweight ? How many times a week do you train it, what rep range ?

What your difference between your strict press and your bench ?

Pic is my 92,5 PR @ 81 bw (for 130 bp)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T3PbNvrhFW4
youtube.com/watch?v=HSoHeSjvIdY
youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw
youtube.com/watch?v=pS9L1vC0ZzQ
exrx.net/WeightTraining/Powerlifting/Westside.html
elitefts.com/education/16-week-conjugate-periodization-program-for-novice-powerlifters/
youtube.com/watch?v=WK7m6I5m6gY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>1 year gym strict
>can't lamo2pl8 bench
>barely lamo1pl8 OHP on a good day

considering suicide atm

>Can you strict press your bodyweight ?
no

>How many times a week do you train it, what rep range ?
zero

>What your difference between your strict press and your bench ?
150%

I did a OPH yesterday (35 kg) but I got pain in my right shoulder. I get the pain when I put my arm in the standing OPH position.

Could I be doing the OHP wrong?

BW: 80 kg
OHP: 87.5
Bench: 120

2 push days a week, alternate between heavy bench /w high volume ohp and heavy ohp /w high volume bench
Usually 3x3, 4x10

Might be a lack of mobility

Make sure you train your rear delt and rotator cuff too

>Not starting in a rack position, bar resting on the clavicules and arms relaxed
>Rep
Pick one

Kek at those powerlifters who can't do a proper movement. Deload 10 kgs and do a proper ohp pls.
Also :
>Belt for ohp

Bw?
Not yet.
Max is 200
I train it every once in a while.

How often should one do OHP? Every second day?

>tfw qt artist draws herself owning you at OHP

I can do about 0.75 bodyweight atm with seated OHP. Been lifting on a caloric deficit for some months though so I'm ready to double it in a couple months, jafeel.

My OHP is hella weak. Can do 85lbs. 6'1" 160lbs guy. Been thinking of doing it twice a week in hopes of being able to press more.

no

OHP 70kg
Bench 100kg

>Can you press your own bodyweight?
No, but I'm 5 months into lifting so that's hardly surprising.

>How many times a week do you train it?
By command of Rippletits I alternate 1 or 2 times a week, but I wish I could do it every day, the most fun lift by far.

>Difference between strict press and bench
45kg 3x5 strict press and 60kg 3x5 bench, so 15kg difference.

pic related: goal shoulders

yeah i'm aware i got bad form
>Not a powerlifter
Also not an oly fag
Why do you care if I use a belt or not?

Why would you use a belt for ohp ? Squat or deads I understand but...

Not the OP you replied to but I agree that an true strict press should start in a rack position, bar not supported by the arms

From my understanding a belt increases abdominal pressure allowing you to brace your core tighter which would help with the ohp?

>OHP 70kg
>Bench 100kg
good ratio desu

ive seen a guy who can bench 140 but barely presses 65

>true strict press should start in a rack position
>true
that completely relies on your shoulder flexibility not on your arbitrary standards on where it should be. It doesn't matter where it starts since like he said he isn't OWL anyway

I am 6'2 100kg at around 18-20% body fat
I can press 60kg for 3 sets of 8-10 reps and tested my 1 rep max after doing my 3 sets last night which was 75kg. Felt like if I was full strength I could have done 80kg+

How did I do?

yes and this is the reason why strongman competitors use belts OP is just being a retard

shoulder flexibility can be improved. I was able to press 90 kgs starting with my elbows Under the bar and the bar just touching but not resting on my clavs and at that time I was only able to press 75 kgs for a rack position

The first one is not strict press.

So you're saying low bar isn't a real squat either?

It's just a slightly different in starting position to make it easier/harder.

It's still pressing a weight strictly overhead through a similar range of movement.

>So you're saying low bar isn't a real squat either?
Low bar squat is low bar squat. You can't compare it with a high bar squat. If you low bar squat 300, you're not stronger than someone squatting 250 kg

Same for ohp. If you press 100 kgs with a powerlifting style starting position you are really strong bu you can't compare it with someone starting with a clean rack position

But you just said the first one isn't a strict press?
If it isn't, what is it?

I am 6'0, 85 kg.
I havent The Pressed for strength lately. I have been doing 3 x 15 at 45-50 kg. Last time I pressed I was doing 65 kg for sets of 5. I can push press my 85 kg for sets of three, so I think im progressing.

started lifting month ago
Ohp went from just a bar to 42kg, going for 45 on friday/saturday..

i do ohp every time, and I bench once a week every other week instead. my bench is at 60kg...

i am dyel former fatty. hear my protein farts.

Been lifting 4 months, 75kg bench and a 52.5kg OHP, is my ratio good?

Also stalled for all of July due to bad eating, no rest and boozing :(

BTFO

my max bench was 110 kg about 4 months ago...havent benched much since.

>Might be a lack of mobility
>Make sure you train your rear delt and rotator cuff too

How do I train this ? Any tips ?

Let's call it a powerlifting style strict press

i get this. on friday i should be attempting 45kg or just having better form on 40 but Jeff Mills is DJ-ing tonight and I just know Ill take speed and extasy that I hope Ill recover by saturday or sunday. will fuck up my lifts guaranteed.

:(

>can you shoulder press your bw?
Fuck no.

>How many times and what rep range?
6 reps twice a week atm just added some weight.

What's the difference between your OHP and bench?
I bench x2 more.

I started benching like 7 months ago but OHP only 2 or 3 months ago so slowly making ip for lost gainz, hence why its kind of low

Probably better to call it a strongman style strict press since the overhead press has never been an event in powerlifting but it is in Strongman and was previously in oly

No, I can't OHP at all. My shoulder mobility doesn't allow it without my rips sticking out.

>bent legs
>ohp

Yup, for me it's festivals, been to two this month and felt like shit for days afterwards, nothing to worry about at home tho cs I live in a rural shithole in England

>strict press 90kg
>DYEL

why would you lie on the internet?
The only thing thinner than your chicken legs are your arms. I am suprised they didn't snap.

>OHP 87.5
>it's barely 60kg for a single rep

piss off you skinnyfat

i bet you will actually enjoy your progress after you stick with healthy discipline during the winter in the middle of nowhere.

i have recently started swimming and man.. trust me you can do that shit even hangover. taking up swimming in the sea during summer and will continue to swim in the pool in winter.
it helps my lifts, good cardio, and on the days i skip gym i can at least swim for half an hour to feel bit better.

last week i skipped friday in gym, went for swimming on friday, saturday, rested sunday, on monday my lifts were fine and I didn't feel like an loser with addiction problem XD

One workout a week I go low reps (5) and up the weights.
(Other workouts are in the 8 to 12 rep range)

Strict standing press I can hit 62.5 kgs
Bench press I have hit 105 kgs

I'm about 5' 9" (1.75m) ... mid 80 kgs ... and 55 yo

I can't keep my back straight while doing OHP and I get lower back pain, it doesn't matter which rep range I do, once I start getting fatigued I bend my back. Am I wasting gains If I do seated db press?

Didn't notice the suicide grip either on a OHP?

She doesn't lift don't be a brat

Kek
I'm happy you don't trust me, it means it's quite a strong lift.

You can however count the plates and tell me there is not 92.5

Easier to count, pic related, 85 kg (25+5+2,5 on each side)

And Yes I'm dyel, I never do more than 5 reps on each exercice and only train for strength

those skinny legs front squat 155 kgs too

are you short?

m8 I believe you but showing a picture of the weight over your head isn't proof that you strict-pressed it.

1m81
Try to brace your core and contract your glutes when pushing, it will be easier on your lower back

>not being able to see the plates clearly on the side of the 20s
10/10

True, but I don't know how to webm

thats not short.

nice lifts. i dont care if you lie on the internet. if it makes you feel better thats ok, just remember, every lie you tell is like progressive overload of feels deep within you will have to lift every morning to get up.
the goal is to deload on feels.

Thanks man. I can't prove it to you anyways but I know what I can do and that's what matter

Aiming for 95 clean+strict press tonight

max bench 72kg max OHP 65kg is this ratio normal? I know guys who bench 2pl8 but OHP less than me

you're really strong at ohp
Or your bench is weak

You are talking about strict press right ? No knee action ? I think I've never seen such a ratio

pretty sure your bench is way too low
i'm at 105x5 bench and 65x5 ohp, which i think is a standard-ish ratio

but from what i've seen taller people are much better at ohp

that's strict press full range of motion. I think my bench is naturally weak. another strange thing is I can't do dips even with body weight. maybe my pecs are attached weirdly idk

youtube.com/watch?v=T3PbNvrhFW4

RC work, this is with resistance bands but do the same thing with cable machines and you're fine.

youtube.com/watch?v=HSoHeSjvIdY

Facepulls for rear delts, switching between overhand and underhand grips works well for me.

I struggle to press 25kg, started ohp'ing last week, what do? Deload to 22.5 then work from there? I can bench 30 but i'm confident I can go for 35 tomorrow

You bench 30kg and can barely OHP the dam bar?

God dam user seriously. I want to see your body because I don't believe you just waltz out of a concentration camp

That's pretty screwed up desu. You're most likely push pressing, leaning back too much or your bench form is really off. My 1RM OHP is the same as yours, but my bench is 90 kg, and even that is supposedly OHP dominant.

BW: 92kg (fatty forever cuttan down from 130)
OHP 60kg 1x5 (last attempt was 1x5, 1x4, 1x2, getting closer to 3x5 tho)
Bench: 80kg 3x5

Same here, feels bad being a lanklet.

The most I've seen a woman OHP is 40kg

Yeah, the image is bullshit. Women can get decently strong at squats and deadlifts, but they fucking suck at upper body lifts. There are two women at my gym who have been lifting seriously for at least 3 years, and they can barely do 5 pull ups, 1 plate bench and 30-40 kg OHP.

Unless you're fat that's literally normal. For a 70kg (154lb) male a 1.5 plate bench is intermediate which means about a year lifting. 2 plates is something that takes most people about 2 years of training if they have zero prior experience.

Post pic of chest shoulders area.

I think the RC work will do the trick, cause I feel the pain a little bit when I do that movement.

No, my weight is 95kg.

> How many times a week do you train it
Once

> what rep range ?
Is the only compound i do with higher volume (6-8 reps)

> What your difference between your strict press and your bench ?
81kg vs 121kg (circa 50%)

Dem calvies

>barely rep 1pl8 anymore
>been lifting on and off for over 3 years
>also patellar tendinitis and rotator cuff issues
How do I get back on track? I also depression bulked to 95 kg but fortunately lost 10 kg of it in the last few months.

here's another "strongman form"
If you have the video somewhere like youtube or dropbox or whatever I could webm it for you

I weight 93kg and I am currently thePress™ing 80kg for 1rm. Currently recovering from injury so I cant 1rm check my bench but I usually go for 5*105. Do you guys use hip drive like rip is teaching or not? I don't feel like it does anything.

>If you low bar squat 300, you're not stronger than someone squatting 250 kg
this is what DYELs actualy believe

kek fat powerlifter who cannot squat properly detected

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw
Eat less, stretch more and stop your low bar ego lifting and sumo deadlift and one day you'll make it

it's not supposed to do much, that's kinda the point. it should provide a tiny bit of extra drive out of the bottom to allow you to use heavier weights through the rest of the ROM. it's a compromise between a push press where you basically skip the bottom part of the ROM, and a very strict press where you're limited to what you can get past the bottom part. rip feels it's the most useful version of the press if your goal is general strength.

that said, maybe your technique is just bad and you're not getting anything out of the hip drive.

you don't low bar over squat 50kg more than you high bar squat, that's just ridiculous.

Me: 6'1", 89kg

OHP: 1x60kg
Bench: 1x110kg

None of my lifts have improved in 3 years.

Unless you're extremely strong and/or very out of the groove with squatting high bar.

Which does describe a lot of good powerlifters. You don't get 50kg out of moving to low bar when you only squat 100 to start with. Often a different story when you're a 300kg lowbar squatter who hasn't seriously trained highbar in years.

Actually I low bar squatted 210 in competition and couldn't do 150 high bar squat at that moment...

I agree that olympic weightlifters are better squatters than powerlifters though. But they work their squat every single day...

>Can you strict press your bodyweight?
I'm barely at 1pl8 which is 0.85. Started from skelly, I weigh 70-71 kg now.

>How many times a week do you train it, what rep range?
2 times a week, 3x5 and 5x5

>What your difference between your strict press and your bench?
Too small, my bench is shit, only 72.5 kg.

6'1 240lbs

60kg OHP is my max

Mirin numbers, OP

if we're discussing them as measures as strength then being unfamiliar with the exercise doesn't count. the same applies when someone goes from high bar to low bar. it takes time to learn and get strong in the new movement. you can squat more low bar if they're both trained equally, but it's not 250kg vs 300kg, that's just absurd.

Should have mentioned that I repped the 1pl8 OHP only two times when I was testing my max.
Bench (3x5 too) has been stalling at that for a while, always grinding the last reps. I read about scapular retraction and now I just hope it will improve my form and consequently my numbers.

Its a higher than normal disparity but its not unheard of - 10-15% is about the usual difference in people competent at both, doesn't take much of a (dis)advantage in proportions or particular muscle groups to kick it up to that level.

shit thats me except ohp is 52 kg lol

ok, and some guys squat roughly the same high bar as low bar. does that mean a 200kg high bar squat is the same level of strength as a 200kg low bar squat? this is the same argument you're making, just at the opposite extreme.

>being this much of a puritan elitist
Brett Gibbs
260 4x4 LB
232.5 3x5 HB

>Definitely doesn't know how to squat properly

I've seen some of Dietmar's routines and they have both high and low bar in them. Honestly I've never seen anyone but weak beginners argue over high bar vs low bar.

kek, that's truly disguting, almost as much as sumo deadlift and wide grip bench press

youtube.com/watch?v=pS9L1vC0ZzQ A weightlifter weighting as much as him but better at squatting

Yes

twice; one day max effort, 6 singles 75-100% 1rm; one day dynamic effort with bands 10 sets of 3 reps at 45-55% 1rm with bands

75 lbs

Do you do Westside? I've been trying to find a program online, especially for the accessory work, but I can't find anything.

>that said, maybe your technique is just bad and you're not getting anything out of the hip drive.
Can't argue with that. I guess all I can do is reading ss again or at least watch rips videos.

when do you choose to work the RC to build strength vs just warming it up for a pressing day?

should i build up RC strength before I get into pressing?

create your own spreadsheet off this

exrx.net/WeightTraining/Powerlifting/Westside.html

or this

elitefts.com/education/16-week-conjugate-periodization-program-for-novice-powerlifters/

You won't tend to find a lot of very detailed assistance programming for westside, since the classic prescription for it is 'work your weaknesses with whatever volume you can handle'. It's a very broad template.

Wow someone selected for the genetics at an early age trained for one thing their entire life funded by one of the richest governments in the world probably on very controlled high end doping performing a lift crucial to the only two lifts he competes in.
Very impressive squat, a lot of hard work and incredible strength regardless of his situation.

>Here's a powerlifter weighing as much as him but better at squatting
Nice meme btw i like it

Here's a really nice squat
youtube.com/watch?v=WK7m6I5m6gY

Thanks
I see, but aren't there at least some general guidelines for sets and reps? For example, if my triceps are lagging and I decide to do extensions, surely it must matter whether I do 2x8 or 5x10. Or is it completely autoregulated, like doing as much volume as you can handle that day?

It's pretty much autoregulated (and the exact rep range isn't that important - there's like fifty thousand different ideas people from Westside have detailed for assistance work). To paraphrase louie, you do it by feel and aim for more work over time.

Disgusting squat in your webm

Muscle imbalance

>what do?

eat more.