Help me understand Veeky Forums

Help me understand Veeky Forums

I used to lift a lot in high school and a bit after. Stopped going for 4-5 years, got fat. I'm getting back in to lifting and trying to find real routines.

But whats with only 3 lifts a day? That seems so little.Stronglifts 5x5 for example.
Squat, bench press, barbell row. I'd be out of the gym in 30minutes maybe.

Would it not be beneficial to throw in some core? Planks, cable crunches, etc. I don't see any calves on the 5x5 either. No stability workout. It just seems so incomplete to me. What am I not understanding? Reg park seems more practical when you get to ''phase 2''. I'm used to being in the gym for about an hour moving from lift to lift.

Does anyone have any progress pics of just doing 3 lifts a day?

Damn that blond chick looks shopped, looked like a video game character at first

white is truly the superior race

It's a beginner strength routine. You will not look good after it. You will not have abs after it. You will be able to bench 200lbs and squat 300 in a very short amount of time, compared to others. From that base of strength you may move on to an aesthetic routine. Nobody ever got big lifting baby weight.

You're right, she makes the gooks in the background look pitiful

Do starting strength, do texas method, move on to a better routine. You will get stronger faster than any other bullshit routine you try to do.

and for fucks sake, do some cardio/sprinting

5x5 and other beginner routines are for developing strength, not size. More work would only inhibit your recovery.

>But whats with only 3 lifts a day? That seems so little.Stronglifts 5x5 for example.
>Squat, bench press, barbell row. I'd be out of the gym in 30minutes maybe.
confirmed for not knowing what you're talking about.

1st you forgot warm up sets. IF YOU DONT HAVE TIME TO WARM UP YOU DONT HAVE TIME TO WORKOUT. you need like 5 warm up sets

2nd you forgot that if you squat 200lb for 5 reps, you are not just going to rest 60 seconds then squat another 5 reps, rest 60 seconds, then do your last set.
the idea is strength training, not endurance training, so you do not limit your rest time. once you start squatting hundreds of pounds, you have to rest ~5min between sets.

>Would it not be beneficial to throw in some core? Planks, cable crunches, etc.
why WOULD it be beneficial?
remember you goal is to get strong as fuck.
remember that in order to get strong as fuck, you need to eat more calories than you expend.
remember that when you eat a calorie surplus, you get fatter.
those exercises you listed dont do a fucking thing to improve your squat/deadlift/press/bench. you know how you increase your squat? by squatting.

if your goal is to look good in the short term, then by all means burn fat and try to look like an otter-mode faggot.

but if you want to look good in the long term, if you want to truly be beast-mode, then you actually have to be strong. if you want to actually be strong, then you have to be able to squat / deadlift / press a lot of weight. your body will not build more muscle mass if you dont intake surplus calories as well as lift heavy.

>What am I not understanding?
the reason that you do a full-body routine 3x a week as a beginner is that, as a beginner weightlifter, you are so weak that whatever weight you lift, you can recover in only ~48 hours. so if you squat 170lb on monday, by wednesday your body has recovered enough to do 175lb. and so on. eventually you get to a point that you cant increase the weight 5lb every workout, so now u need fractional plates and you increase the weight 2.5lb every workout.

eventually you will reach a point where you are lifting so much weight that you can not recover in only ~48 hours. mark rippetoe says this is at approx. 400lb squat for young guys. at this point you need to change from a beginner routine into an intermediate routine

and like said
>beginner routines are for developing strength, not size. More work would only inhibit your recovery.

>5 warmup sets
lmao who does this
1 warmup set at most.

So how long should I do a beginner routine? I know all the lifts and I weigh a ton so I'll be doing slightly heavy weight (comparatively for a 'starter')
I'll be on a cut so it's not like I'll be going to far.

2-3 months doing a starting routine seems more than enough to me.

oh god that crop

So why wouldn't the first set just be considered the warm-up and the rest work sets. Seems like an issue of semantics.

do fierce5, more exercises, same amount of focus on building strength, and in general, way more fun

u can also do one of the greyskull LP variation routines but those aint as fun to do and don't feel as complete

Just stretch and do one slow warm up set at half weight. I swear if I saw some guy do 10 fucking sets in the squat rack I'd tell him to fuck off.

>So how long should I do a beginner routine?
remember that the reason you are doing a beginner routine is that as a beginner weightlifter, you are so weak that whatever weight you lift, you can recover in only ~48 hours.

so if you squat 275 monday, you do 277.5 on wednesday, and 280 on friday (these are just example numbers).

you stay on the beginner routine until you are no longer experiencing strength gains every workout.

> I know all the lifts and I weigh a ton so I'll be doing slightly heavy weight (comparatively for a 'starter')
> I'll be on a cut so it's not like I'll be going to far.

If you are on a cut, you are not going to increase muscle mass.

in order to increase muscle mass, you must increase caloric intake.

any strength gains you experience will not be from significant increases in muscle mass, instead your body will just become more efficient at recruiting motor units.

>2-3 months doing a starting routine seems more than enough to me.
???

>So why wouldn't the first set just be considered the warm-up and the rest work sets?
>Seems like an issue of semantics.
seems like you don't understand the definitions of the terms "warm up set" and "work set"

just because i dont feel like typing, have some more pages of this book for free

Core strength is an integral part to all of the lifts in SS. You are a fool.

what if I dont care about getting stronger as efficiently as possible and just wanna get big?

Buy gear dumbass.

Thinking about that but I don't want to fuck up my heart or not be able to quit

Found the bearmode guy

>I'd be out of the gym in 30minutes maybe.
increase the weights then
did you really lift

HERE OP LOOK AT THIS AND IT WILL SOLVE ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

None of those core exercises listed will help you squat more. You know what will help you squat more? Squatting. Squatting will give you all the core strength needed to squat more.

Absolutely nowhere in the SS routine are any of those core exercises found. You are a fool.

OP as its been said, you need to build strength first, but if you're eating enough you will put on size. when recovery becomes a problem, switch over to a PPLPPLx routine, still doinng your compounds and you'll be fine.

When im done with my cut i'll be posting up pictures, im 6'0ft 96kg 13% bf, and all that was built using SL for 2yrs, and PPLPPLx for 1yr

The reason you do warm up sets with increasing weights is to prepare the muscles for heavier loads. There is a scientific reason for this.

Each time you make a muscle contract, ca+2 ions are released from sarcoplasm. Ca+2 is needed in the reaction that causes muscles to contract. After muscle contraction is no longer needed, some of the calcium is pumped away, but some of it remains. After every set, more calcium is left (to some point) and you are able to contract muscles harder and faster.

C'mon, those are some very ugly ones and all of them have their eyes closed or squinted (yea, they're squinted by default lmao xD). On the other hand the white girl is a 10/10 specimen, standing in the foreground and incredibly photogenically posed, and probably brushed up in photoshop. Why are these asians in the background anyway? For some kind of fucked up comparison? I swear to god this was intentional and done by racist cunts. Please don't lap this propaganda up, I mean yes you may not be naturally attracted to them as very different looking people, and they may even objectively look worse (as fertile humans), but just not by this much