Ask the JuiceFag!

JuiceFag checking in, AMA Veeky Forums.
Prior threads have drawn some good input from juicing cutters, so juicing thread.
I'm on day 20 of a juice fast, no solids, and I'm down 19 pounds.
inb4 do you drink cum with your juice, no I don't.

Other urls found in this thread:

heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Saturated-Fats_UCM_463756_Article.jsp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Shameless self-bump!

What's your opinion on gazpacho spanish soup? It has tomatoes, green pepper, garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper and ice cold water

>What's your opinion on gazpacho spanish soup?
It sounds pretty good to me, user. Garlic is great for you, but I don't know if the traditional recipe calls for the tomato to be first cooked.
I've read that cooked tomatoes have a lot more digestible lutein, maybe someone who is into the micros can confirm.
I wouldn't consume this gazpacho because it has salt and pepper, but it sounds yummy and if it's an effective meal replacement or snack, go for it. It certainly is good in that it's low carb, other than some sugars from the tomatoes.
I like the vinegar too. Having some acid intake in the diet has a lot of benefits I'm told. When I'm juicing I'll often have a gulp of apple cider vinegar if I think that my juice is on the base side of the alkali scale for intake.

This seems like a terrible idea, unless you're a literal hamplanet.
I figure you have no muscle mass to lose if you're doing this.

>I've read that cooked tomatoes have a lot more digestible lutein
Didn't know about that. I guess if I throw them into the microwave for 5 minutes it will do the job without loosing the water soluble vitamins if I cook them in a pot full of water? I'll try it this weekend.

>you're a literal hamplanet.
>I figure you have no muscle mass to lose if you're doing this.
If you can do it, it's an effective way to lose a pile of weight quickly.
I'm not a hamplanet, but when I hit 241 lbs at 6"1" and no regular anaerobic exercise, I went back to juicing. I did it a few years ago and lost 45 lbs in two months, and kept most of it off for the next two years.
Recently I've been hitting the ice cream and Netflix before bed, and the rest came back on. And I started to snore terribly. So the weight had to come off quickly without killing me.
I'm a lean build naturally anyway. I don't put on muscle mass easily. I'm 45 now and worked out a lot 20 years ago. So if I lose a few pounds of muscle, I can get that back with a some moderate lifting and running when I get down to my ideal weight and go back to a better lifestyle.
When I started this fast, I had 17" neck and 40" waist. I'm down to a 16" neck and 37" waist at 222 pounds. I want to drop another forty, it'll be easy.

I keep some V8 cans in the fridge. At the start of my fast if I have a serious urge for savoury then I drink those. It's better than hitting the ice cream.
Look up lutein. I've read elsewhere that stewed or cooked tomatoes have a lot more of it, so despite the sugars in tomatoes, they have great benefits if cooked.
Tell me what you find out!

"juicing" is 100% meme. I used to work for these places selling said juice- youre better off just eating the goddamn veg/fruit as is.

>"juicing" is 100% meme.
You're correct, user. Most people when they "juice" are trying to "detox". They juice up some carrots and celery, add some powdered ginger or cayenne pepper, and pay large for the supplement to stir in, and do that for a few days. It's bullshit.
Yes, one is probably better off eating 5 pounds of fresh vegetables and fruit every day. But who has the time or the literal ability to do that?
By juicing good, local, fresh, and preferably organic veg and fruit I'm getting all of the good stuff in it. And the weight is flying off me.
Other Anons have chimed in, with even better results than mine. I'm an oldfag, and I like lots of beer. So my drop is slower than it might be, but I don't care that much.
And anyone who spends a dime on a "detox" is an idiot, in my opinion.

The problem is that you're not supposed to lose that much weight in that amount of time, it's not healthy for you. Besides, you'll have a higher chance of gaining it all back later.
I'm currently on a normal -500cal diet and have lost about 17 pounds in 10 weeks, I'm sure I'll manage to keep it off when I'm done too, since I just adjusted my regular diet for this, I won't have to adjust my diet at all when I'm done.
Also, where the hell do you get your animal protein from while doing this?

>The problem is that you're not supposed to lose that much weight in that amount of time
I agree, it's pretty radical. What I do isn't for everyone.
Weight loss by itself, if it's fat, isn't bad for you. Why would it be?
The last time I juiced I kept most of it off for over two years. Then I got lazy and stupid, went back t my old habits, and it came back on. I agree that the best way to lose weight is to make small changes that are sustainable long term, but when I started snoring like a motherfucker and waking up tired even if I slept 8+ hours, I knew that I had to do the juicing again and get the blubber gone!
It's very healthy. If I ate 5+ pounds of good and fresh veg and fruit everyday, I don't think anyone would say that I'm a retard. Instead, I juice it so that I can consume all that nutrition quickly and also reboot my taste buds and appetite so that when I start eating again I'm far more likely to stick to a better diet.

17 pounds in 10 weeks is a great result user. Keep up whatever you're doing. The important thing is that it's consistent, sustainable, that you're not feeling like you're suffering, and that you're getting your nutrition.

I'm taking a short cut, I admit. And it's not for everyone.

I don't get any animal protein while I'm doing this. I don't need any. Juice has a bit of protein, all I need to get by since I don't lift and don't exercise hard while juicing.
I'm not a big vegan/vegetarian advocate, but one can get the protein one needs without animal protein. Most of us eat too much protein anyway, especially animal protein.

What would you recommend to someone trying to gain lean mass?

What should I look for in a juicer?

I currently juice Kale, Spinach and Chard. Are there any other veggies or fruits I should consider?

>What would you recommend to someone trying to gain lean mass?
I'm no guru, but I've made nutritional science a hobby of mine. Read all you can, and if at the end someone is trying to sell you something then don't assume it's correct.
I'm all about health first. There are lots of bulky fucks who haven't touched a veg in a year, unless it was a garnish or came with their burger. Gainz is good, but there's no point if it's not making you healthier.
Genetically, I don't put on a lot of lean mass when I lift. I was really ripped in my 20s. I knew that I'd never be Ahnold so I went for fitness, endurance, and striation.
Keeping health in mind, look for clean food, and don't be too concerned about saturated fats which have been touted for decades as the worst thing ever by the USDA. Eggs are good, whole milk, cottage cheese and yoghurt, if they aren't full of hormones and sterioids and antibiotics. Veeky Forums makes me laugh when they post about what's best on the McDonald's menu for bulking.

>What should I look for in a juicer?
It depends on what you want in your juice. There are two basic types There's the spinning grater which is quick and gives a clean smooth juice, but it leaves a lot behind with a wet pulp. I have a decent Cuisinart juice extractor for that.
Then there's the grinding/masticating, which gets more juice out of the produce leaving a drier pulp, doesn't warm up the juice which can destroy nutrients, and leaves a decent amount of pulp and fibre in the juice. When I'm juicing exclusively, I prefer that.

>I currently juice Kale, Spinach and Chard. Are there any other veggies or fruits I should consider?
Those are great veggies to juice! But if it's only that, the juice would taste like ass. There's a reason why can't have a pill twice per day and be healthy: we need variety. With those veggies, I'd juice some apple, a few grapes maybe, definitely a half lemon, some fresh ginger root, and whatever else good that's in the fridge.

>Keeping health in mind, look for clean food, and don't be too concerned about saturated fats which have been touted for decades as the worst thing ever by the USDA. Eggs are good, whole milk, cottage cheese and yoghurt, if they aren't full of hormones and sterioids and antibiotics.

Getting a bit kooky there, juice man

Why don't you drink cum with your juice?

Thanks a lot, your answers are very helpful. I will definitely keep your advice in mind whenever I'm out shopping.

>Getting a bit kooky there, juice man
I appreciate that it might seem that way. I just think that clean food is better. I'm not concerned when someone tells me that a big mac has the same amount of protons at less cost than a bowl of cottage cheese or some quinoa with beans and rice. I won't eat the pink slime served up on white carbs with a mayo/sugar sauce.
I think that organic is better, but it's expensive I admit. And if I'm juicing a few pounds of produce per day, it had better be well washed if not organic otherwise I'm also concentrating the pesticides, colourants, waxes, and flavourings that go into processed fruit and veg.
We're descended from carnivores and we're built to eat meat. But we can get our protein without animal flesh, and if we eat it then it shouldn't be ground up snouts and assholes from livestock that has been flooded with antibiotics and hormones its whole life.
I'm not touching any of the moral arguments, people can make up their own minds.
And yes, look it up on google, there's lots of information about saturated fats. It's not as bad as has long been said. Back in the 50s, saturated fats were concluded to lead to higher cholesterol, but we now know that there's good and bad cholesterol and that it's less determined by one's saturated fat intake than by one's carb intake.
Without going into tinfoil hat land, I'm only suggesting to make nutritional science a hobby and read all can. You'll be better off than thinking that muh macros is the solution to everything.

To anyone considering this, you will be not only wasting a lot of food, but also losing a lot of the benefits of eating fruits and vegetables, mainly fiber. You will be consuming more sugar, mainly from juicing fruits, and it will take much more to make you feel full. Also the expense is much greater. Just get a vitamix and blend smoothies. It will be your number one tool in the kitchen if you use it right as it does so much more than just make smoothies.

>Just get a vitamix and blend smoothies.
A vitamix is a great tool. It's powerful and can blend smooth even fibrous fruit and veg, and you can make good soups too with it. I know a lot of people that swear by it.
I use a grinding/masticating juicer when I'm not eating, so I still get some fibre with my juice. I still have a poop every day or two.
If you juice a lot of fruit in order to make the juice tasty, you'll get a lot of sugar. Root vegetables like carrot are popular for juicing because they have a sweet juice. Also tomatoes of course. So a juice that isn't heavy on the dark green veg with a bit of fruit for variety and flavour is going to have a lot more calories than one might think. I'm sure you've heard that fruit is "nature's candy". It has a lot of good stuff but a lot of sugars too. I try to keep my veg/fruit mix to 80/20.

The biggest benefit to a longer juice fast fpr me is that after 3-4 days I lose the craving for the favourites with sugar and fat and salt, and after 10-12 days I'm not hungry at all. By then I've turned off my appetites and taste buds. Then it's easy to keep going until I've lost whatever I want and then start eating again. And when I start, I can begin with a good diet of mostly veg raw or steamed or quickly stirfried in a touch of olive oil , fruit for snacks, lean meats in moderation, eggs and nuts to supplement the protein and get good fats, and complex carbs only and also in moderation. The weight stays off and I feel much better, and I'm in a better position to start exercising again.

> look it up on google, there's lots of information about saturated fats. It's not as bad as has long been said. Back in the 50s, saturated fats were concluded to lead to higher cholesterol, but we now know that there's good and bad cholesterol and that it's less determined by one's saturated fat intake than by one's carb intake.

You have to be careful where you let google take you. Saturated fat does raise your risk of heart disease, as every group of medical experts agrees after decades of extensive research. Googling it will bring up hundreds of amateur blog posts denying that fact through the use of conspiracy theories and red herrings.

heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Saturated-Fats_UCM_463756_Article.jsp

>Saturated fat does raise your risk of heart disease
Yes, you're right. I'm not saying that saturated fat is good for you, rather that it's not as bad as has been purported. A high carb diet has been shown to be worse in the domain of heart disease. Also, animal fats and proteins are shown to promote many forms of cancer. And as we all know by now, simple carbs are quickly transformed into sugar leading to blood sugar spikes and diabetes.
But this isn't a tinfoil hat thread, nor am I promoting a vegan or vegetarian or strictly organic diet. As I said earlier, one should make nutritional science a hobby rather than wondering how many tendies will provide the needed macros for bulking.

>Yes, you're right. I'm not saying that saturated fat is good for you, rather that it's not as bad as has been purported

I can't even give you that. Saturated fat recommendations have been getting more strict over the years because what we thought was low enough, isn't low enough.

>A high carb diet has been shown to be worse in the domain of heart disease.

"High carb diet" is very vague. Anyone would agree that eating a lot of processed carbs is unhealthy, but even very high carb diets based on unrefined foods like whole grains and fruits are certainly healthy. If nutrition is a hobby of yours, you know that already.

I know that there's a lot of debate regarding saturated fats, and I'm not here to debate that specific topic. In my casual research, I've come to believe that that "recommended levels of saturated fats" are low because of the perceived connection between such fats and cholesteral, as some studies in the 1950s showed. And more recently, a diet high in simple carbs and sugars has been shown to cause damage to the epithelial cells in the arteries leading to heart disease.

But we're getting into conspiracy mode here, also not what I'm here for.

Yes, "high carb diet" is vague. I mean a diet higher in simple carbs and quickly digestible sugars. If that wasn't implied clearly enough, then thanks for pointing it out. Many societies have lived quite well on high carb diets, with lots of whole grains and fruit too. But I don't think there has ever been a society that got as much sugar plus refined carbs in its diet as the modern westerners, and it's showing with obesity and rates of diabetes.

I remember in the 80s when everyone was having pasta salads for lunch. They all thought that it was health food just because it was cold and had some raw veg thrown in, but USA got fatter than ever. Typical consumer meats are full of garbage, and junk food isn't even food but rather an edible food like substance. Hell, cold cuts and bacon have recently been declared to be carcinogenic, and rightly so.

Anyway, you make good points user. I'm not arguing with you. I'm just here trying to spread the word that juicing is a healthy way to lose some weight while getting more nutrition than many do on average.

> In my casual research, I've come to believe that that "recommended levels of saturated fats" are low because of the perceived connection between such fats and cholesteral, as some studies in the 1950s showed.

The AHA page I linked refers to this as a proven fact, since hundreds of carefully controlled studies over a number of decades to the present have produced replicable results. Saturated fats do, as far as science can measure, raise LDL cholesterol and increase the likelihood that you will develop coronary artery disease. They also damage the artery walls like free sugars do.

I'm not trying to derail your thread, it's just important not to get comfortable with saturated fats. It's been a trend lately, as I'm sure you've read on plenty of websites, to blame sugar for every health consequence and ignore that saturated fats are also bad for us. Drink your juice and eat lean.

>This.
I think people tend to underestimate just how important fiber is, especially when consuming foods with high sugar content.