Mental Health Thread:

Is mental health a legitimate issue to the extent we are addressing it in society or is it a problem we've created for ourselves?

It seems to me that we shouldn't be prescribing psychiatric medication. The best way to gain true appreciation and motivation in life is to suffer through it and develop yourself as a person rather than just numbing the hard parts with a pill.

What does Veeky Forums think?

Other urls found in this thread:

wakingscience.com/2016/04/new-study-shows-how-lsd-affects-your-brain/
psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/your-brain-ketones
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you're right. with medication you only treat the symptoms but you never get to the cause. it can be very rewarding to endure the psychological pain and develop mechanisms to cope with it, instead of numbing it down. pain is a part of growing.

Yeah it's better to solve the underlying problem than just being on antidepressants cause then you're just high all the time

this is true 90+% of the time but some people like me are just hopeless.

Ive had over 10 concussions and my dopamine reward system was basically left in shambles.

I lived like this for 3 years without medication and boy was that a fucking struggle, but at the end of those 3 years I've seen that Ive grown a lot as a person and have hardened beyond imagination: having to derive motivation from somewhere beyond reward is a crazy feat that I'm very proud of myself for doing. But at the end of the day my body wants to sleep 18 hours a day if I let it and on top of that I have 0 sex drive and can't enjoy anything. Despite all this I am not depressed and am extremely optimistic, Im just rather braindead :/ and living is extremely mentally painful.

Ive reluctantly decided that I need medication not because I cant live without it, but because I think I should be able to enjoy my life a little. I start on wellbutrin on monday. Hopefully it will bring me the joy of living life that I used to have.

Sometimes I think Im the hardest motherfucker in the world for living in this hellish pain and lack of pleasure.

Thats not really true. Many people that deals with depression has dealt with is for such a long time that the reason that they got depressed doesnt really matter anymore, but they are stuck in a bad cycle and they cant get themselves out of it because they are depressed. Basically a catch 22. Anti depressants can help break this cycle and therefore cure the depression. Then they can quit the medication without reverting back to depression.

unfortunately I cant be a navy seal after starting my medication. I have no doubt in my mind I could pass bud/s after going what Ive already gone through, physical pain feels like nothing, especially when the endorphin high kicks in, its one of the only pleasures I can experience.

This makes me extremely sad :(

lsd is the answer for people who dont have physically damaged brains

Look into the trials on the use of psilocybin as treatment for long term depression suffers; every single trial has come back with positive results.

I speak from experience.

I thought it was normal to hate life and just be dragging myself through life until the day I finally die and have peace from the constant disappointment.

And then I did LSD and realized just how depressed I actually was; and I understood the root of my depression was that I was bored and lonely; and that I tried to numb myself with drugs and alcohol to pass the time until I day I would finally die because they were distractions from how boring life was; and I had low self esteem and didn't believe I could ever achieve anything so there was no point in trying.

Since then I'm drug free and I've been competitively boxing; after 7 years of training I've finally been fighting and I've actually been winning. I always thought I could never get fit enough because I'm just "weak", but it turns out I was able to get fit enough.

My outlook on life has changed lots too; nothing really matters enough to get upset and depressed about; life is too short to spend it sad. I spent the last 7 years being miserable and sad when all I had to do was just realize that bad things happen; life is suffering; but suffering for me might be heaven for someone else; and their suffering might be heaven for me.

We have a girlfriend and she makes us sad so we suffer, we're single and we're suffering because we want a girlfriend, we have no money so we suffer and think we would be happy if we were rich, we become rich and suffer because we have everything we want and we are bored. We always think the grass is greener elsewhere when in reality we can be happy right where we are if we only change our outlook.

I've done 300ug and thought really hard about my life trying to force catharsis and nothibg really happened at all. Mushrooms might be better, for me anyway

this is the mistake I made the first time I tripped.

Try not thinking about anything at all during the trip and the answers will come to you the next day. Keep this in mind next time you trip.

well if your natural system is broken, and you cant really cure it with natural things, at that stage we wouldnt blame you for not adhering to a healthy mind philosophy.

Though if there is an option to get your system back on track with less dangerous alternatives, you should take it.

A lot of people with mental health problems get back on track all on their own. If they have more IQ, they also have a faster rate of self cureing themselves through self realization. Smart people also have lower rates of schizophrenia, smart people have better odds of just "out thinking" their mental problems as they can somewhat see their own patterns better than the lower rabble, and then act to try to change those patterns.

cont

More IQ

Its called novel thinking, but it also has a downside, if you dont take good care of it, you could turn blind to your proper working automated systems, like those of self preservation, especially when it comes to race, novel thoughts (leftist thinking) are inferior to low IQ rabble who just simply hate other races, based on their automated systems that tell them so.

Though even if you have more IQ points than an average normie, some things will bring you down no matter what you do, if you do not get them. Like women, friends and socialization. I just cannot deal with the lack of that anymore. Probably need to get a shrink or something to fill this need.

Even though sports wise I am in the top 1%, sports and foods are nearly 100% at optimal levels, and even beyond. I dont do any kind of drugs, not even alcohol, I even avoid second hand smoke through filters. I eat a clean diet with no meme things, I get ALL of my micro nutrients, from carbs, to fats, to proteins. Not factory processed either, no excesses of sugars. But also not over the max limit, a reasonable amount of fish oil, zinc and other minerals. I avoid stress, sleep the 8-9 hours a day. I also run 2/3 times a week besides the weight lifting (which I dont do to breakage to decrease stress). So bodily wise I should be extremely healthy, and I am, my resting heart rate right now in the morning is at 50 and sometimes even dips below that. I also walk 1 hour every day.

So even with this extremely healthy lifestyle that I have, I still kinda feel miserable. My test is good, I have energy to work long and hard. My pain tolerance is high as well...but still I feel kinda like shit because I dont have a QT gf at my side.

Yes, ive experimented with acid and shrooms and it has definetly helped me in many ways. I'm not depressed anymore, but my life still sucks and im trying to fix it.

Damn congrats man
Im still stuck in the hole and think about death every single day

All I need is drugs to get out of it?

Pls go

I think about suicide more than I think about pussy

psilocybin and LSD basically are a brute force nihilism method. They sever your brain connections nearly randomly. They revert your brain temporarily back to a childlike brain as your brain tries to re-learn things.

Which is super great if you have problems that traditional therapy cannot fix. Because some of our mental problem lie past the realm of ordinary senses (that therapists try to fix you through, like speaking to you (sights and sounds))

So yea, those with trauma's, ptsd and very persistent problems that you received through badly learned behavior, could be helped a lot by this approach.

It wont fix all mental illnesses, but if you know for certain that your brain, by its nature is healthy (that if you have no common mental illnesses in your family), you could bet on it that you may have acquired a problem through life, and thus it may be cured with this.

Yeah no one else in my family has it, and I've always been a happy one till a few things happened

Do I try it once? How many times? Is it hard to quit?

If you are doing all of that, how come you don't have a QT? Are you an ugly manlet?

I did shrooms a while ago and honestly, I expected all kinds of crazy things. Which I did not receive at all. I took very high dosages of shrooms and still almost felt nothing special except an increase in existential angst for the duration of the effects.

I am not sure if its addictive or not because by nature I dont have a personality that permits addictiveness to anything. But yea, it did not demand more of me as far as I can tell.

I am also thinking of doing it again, to see if it may yield other benefits. Because personality wise it did change me 180 degrees. I lost so many bad habits...probably because of it. So i am thinking of doing it once more to see if there is still some excess garbage still hanging on to me somewhere that I can get rid off.

>psilocybin and LSD basically are a brute force nihilism method. They sever your brain connections nearly randomly. They revert your brain temporarily back to a childlike brain as your brain tries to re-learn things.
source on that pls

>is it a problem we've created for ourselves?
Bingo

Let me know how many starving somalians and palestinians getting shot daily in gaza have "social anxiety"

ugly? no, manlet.... kinda though, I am getting mires from girls still, those of similar or below my height.

Not sure what I am doing wrong then, but I think that my horribly and unrelenting personality is most likely in the way.

I treat others the same way I treat myself throughout my life in sports, with hatred, zero empathy, zero compassion and zero room for weakness.

Christians always say "well if you are without sin, you cast the first stone" not thinking that there are actually those without sin out there...who may want to cast the first stone.

Well I am casting those stones already. I am judgmental, have zero tolerance and dont really care about excuses, towards other people. Because I have no excuses for myself either. I dont drink, not even once, not even with pressure. I dont skip my sport days. I eat 100% clean with zero cheat days. I take exclusively good care of my body.

So when I see a girl be shit, or even another man. I have no reason to socialize with the guys, or to romanticize with the girls.

I have insanely high standards for myself that I live upon, so I also have the same standards for others. Which is probably the reason why i am still single.

wakingscience.com/2016/04/new-study-shows-how-lsd-affects-your-brain/

Though I remember some recent research, a month or two ago that I could fish up again. Though I think it was this, but perhaps there is a more refined source still.

I blame social media

Yeah, it doesnt really cut connections as it create new one. The "child like" brain is much more connected than an adult brain. What happens when we grow older is that the brain cuts connections and strengthen other. This is how you train a neural net. Taking lsd or psiocybin, creates a hyper connected brain during the duration of the drug, some which persist after taking it. These are then subject to strengthening, and the other can then be cut. "what fires together, wired together"

Hiw long should I wait do you think. Had this trip a month and a half ago

>It seems to me that we shouldn't be prescribing psychiatric medication
Say that to schizophrenics, people who suffer from manic-depressive disorder, soldiers with PTSD, people with major depressive disorder who are suicidal and people with debilitating anxiety disorders. These are also all treatments that are taken alongside routine visits to a therapist because clinical studies have shown that both are more effective than either.

You're clearly a troll but this attitude exists and it pisses me off, so 9/10.

/rant

What medication and for what condition?

Neat, well il remember this explanation of it it then. I only hastily read through this thing. Good thing that I still remember the conclusion though.

Just find a girl that is willing to try to live up to your standards. That's what I do. You just have to ease them into a healthier lifestyle gently.

How do you even find someone like that? Are there signs that you can see on their outside that they are willing to change and to learn?

Yeah, just look for the ones with low self-esteem.

psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/your-brain-ketones

drugs are bad

drugs are bad, mkay?
here take this SSRI

The problem is psychiatric medication is given out as the main method, instead of therapy. And I think we all can agree that drugging yourself wont change shit in the long term. Therapy should be the basis, but instead we get tons of easily given diagnoses and tons of drugs for even minor disorders instead of actual therapy.

I agree. However in severe cases like dementia, derealization, depersonalization and schizophrenia I don't think you can simply "tough through it" without the help of drugs. At least not with our current understanding of these disorders.

prime example of the effects of antipsychotic drugs is Jason Genova.

all that weird shit he does with his hands and the tremors when he holds the camera are lifelong ailments he has to suffer with from years of meds.

Then there's the whole janoy moment when he can't even remember how to spell his own name. sad really.