/Run/: running general

Making those speed and cardio gains, Veeky Forums?

>only two more long runs before I can taper for upcomong marathon
I don't know why I truly got pressured by my sister to sign up. I already did one, but at the time I gelt if I ran it with her, she'd be more motivated.

>mfw running longer than 12 miles

currently doing 7.2K's in 30 mins and I have a 10K in 2 weeks (never attempted a run that long)

am I fucked? should I run the first 5K, have a short break, then run the last 5K?

What's the best Play app for c25k?

nope don't stop midway
run the 7.2 at your normal pace then slow down a lil' or keep your pace do as you feel in the moment
but don't slow down too much a run with not enought preparation is a willpower trial don't make it too long

No. Instead, you should learn to pace yourself and do longer, slower runs to help establish an aerobic base. You don't have to go in with the "gotta go fast" mentality with every run. You run your shorter runs fast by doing tempos and intervals. Then, you run your longer runs slow and easy.

When it comes time for the race, you'll find out that you unconsciously run faster even though it seems like you are going slower. And if you practice your fast, short runs, it won't affect you that badly because this is what your short, fadt runs teach your body to do. The adrenaline and endocannaboids involved in competitive running will make it where you run faster and not be as effected.

RunKeeper has a training plan built into it.

>4 months ago couldn't run 2k without stopping
>now doing comfy 5ks regularly

The cardiovascular noobgains feel so good brehs.

Also, what shoes does /run/ wear? I've been using pic related Inov8 F-lite 220s but considering going for a set with a bigger drop to save putting too much strain on my achilles. Any recs?

I use Saucony Cohesion 8's. The Cohesion 9's are way too firm. All the 8's I've used have yet to give me any injuries, yet the "upgraded" 9's I can't run more than 4 miles without my ankles and knees hurting. Now, I bought 7 pairs of them and plan on more before they are completely out.

I've also tried Saucony Guides (was told it would be perfect since I oveepronate), but that killed my knees, and Saucony Cortanas which killed my hips.

Ghost 8 brooks here. 5k guy here.

I feel some weightbearing pressure below the knees, on the tibial tuberosity whenever I push off the ground. It's not painful, but I think I'm doing something wrong. I'm not overstriding though.

Lighten your foot strike. You may also have improper fitting shoes. Try lowering your cadence also and see if you have the same issue. If it continues, are you doing too many miles, such as increasing miles way too fast? Are you just going too fast ?

thats fine though

7,2k in 30 min is a really good pace, you should easily be able to run the last 2,8k at mby 12km/h instead of 14, EASILY

go getem

I actually tried a Pose style of running and didn't have problems with it. Whenever I go faster and push off the ground with hips more extended (that is, the hind foot farther back), I also didn't experience it. I only experience it during slow runs when my foot is closer to the center, almost below the hips. Kinda like jogging but faster. Sometimes the pressure disappears halfway through. It may be the miles though because I never experience it during shorter, faster runs.

Although the one making me doubt that is because I usually experience it at the start instead of near the end.

Ran last night for 2 miles and skipped rope for 5 rounds after. Feels good brah.

Acis all day for me I have shit tier feet

I wear Saucony Ride 9's. They're pretty nice and light, but I wear insoles with them because my arches are really high.

They all suck dicks. Runtastic (the pro version) allows you to set different intervals. Now if you are as cheap as I am, jus download the runtastic "timer" app and set different intervals yourself (you can run runtastic on the back to get the distance as well)

i do most of my runs in the morning, after which i make long days of sitting behind a desk.
Will compressive (air plane socks) help me to recover faster from sore calves?

Do you guys notice any difference between running in the morning and at night? Both my time when sprinting and my distance when doing LISS improve when I run at night. I wonder if there's any science behind this.

Been running for about 6 weeks and can now do 8k but slow as fuck. Really hoping weight will start to come off and it'll get easier.

Maybe something about your body being adequately warmed up?

Just ran a 20:30 5k. Not what I was looking for but I think I can crack into the 18s this year.

I have kind of fucked up feet/ankles/knees from a lifetime of walking wrong, but I want to start running habtually.

I have been trying to get into a beginner routine, alternating walking and jogging, so far have jogged usually for 2-3 mins at a time. However this murdered my legs when I first started and I got kind of worried and stopped for a couple weeks. Ready to try again now. Ran yesterday on softer ground and so far my legs feel okay.

Considering that I'm someone who literally needed to be told how to walk correctly (and I am still not sure I do it right), is there any advice you might have for me? I have been researching beginner running guides and reading alot but I'd like some input from y'all as well if anybody has anything to say.

stand tall
keep your arms down
don't bend at the hips

This

Is there a good running app for indoor running? iosfag

How do I get into running when I am just starting my 2nd week of weightlifting.

guys im dirt fucking poor and have been running with my 20$ shitty sneakers, what are some good budget shoes that won't turn into a goddamn sauna and and leave my feet stinking?

In runtastic set the activity to treadmill.

you just do it.

I'm using $60 Asics and they seem to work just fine for me...

Doing more running will help you recover from sore calves.

If you plan on keeping up with running, it's really worth going to a store and getting fitted professionally. Cheap, ill-fitting shoes are your ticket to shin-splint city (or a significant injury).

I bought a couple of adidas around 50-60 each. But there are even cheaper alternatives. You probably aren't looking hard enough for sales or bargains. Even at thrift stores you can find almost new running shoes all the time for next to nothing. Git gud at being poor m8

Cheers, didn't see that there. Just came from Strava

No special considerations if I am a novice at both?

My wife suckered me into doing a marathon with her a few years ago and the worst thing about training was the time commitment.

Having to schedule around 3+ hour runs was a pain in the ass and it felt like a major chore just getting started, since I knew I had to run for fucking ever.

Don't just go for it, follow a routine just as with lifting

you dont need a fucking routine to run

YOU JUST FUCKING RUN!!!

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

I started running because of a gf. The only one good thing I got from her. That and a sweet knife she hadmade for me.

finally a /run/ thread. Finally bought a good pair of shoes and it does make a difference.

I'm about to run a lot again. Am I gonna say bye to my gains or do I need to eat a lot? I don't want to look like auschwitz.

Sticky tier question faggotron

It can be pretty easy to rest too many days without a schedule.

If you hit caloric deficit, you're gonna lose gains and body fat.

Figure out calories burned and make up the difference on days you run if you are just doing cardio for heart health.

Just like you don't turn into Arnie the first time you do a 10lb curl you don't turn into Mo Farah at the end of the C2K5. Jesus christ.

I've been running in my busted nike free 5.0's that I used for lifting and it's been hell on my feet.

Next thing I buy is a good pair of shoes.

Sorry that was a dumb way. I'm thinking of running 4 days a week and lifting 3 days for some gains preservation.

but i want olympic medals

Total newbie runner here. Is there any way to comfortably store your water bottle while running?

I just hold mine but have occasionally just drank a lot before and after exercise

Just carry it in your hand.

The most important thing is to eat enough, I'm bulking at the moment and still manage to do 5-6 runs per week.

You should drink lots of water two hours before going running. Try it and see if it helps.

ty

If you're a newbie you probably aren't running long enough distances that really justify taking water with you on your runs. Hydrate throughout the day and you shouldn't have to take water with you.

Samefag here. Again how I hate runs past 12 miles. I can't wait until this marathon is over.

Is it your first marathon? Good luck regardless f a m

>I only have one pair of shoes. I workout, run, and go to university in the same pair of shoes.

well lads...

Nope. My second.

Is there something similar for running e.g. for endurance and speed?

With recommended training times and lengths etc.

Yeah. Look up any training plan for any distance you want to cover. Almost every single one of them has the following:

>1-2 short distance (3-6 miles), hard tempo or interval runs to build speed
>1-2 track runs, like 800m repeats to teach you to build strength
>1-2 long, slow runs to build aerobic base and endurance

Just recently I've started to really feel the burn in my hips or upper thighs when I run. Ive been making an effort to land not on my heel. Could this have something to do with it? I know your calves will start to feel sore when you run forefoot, hips/upper thighs too? Or am I doing something wrong?

My legs hurt like hell

>tfw shin splints kick in everytime I reach 2-3 miles

Will I adapt to this or will I never get running gainz?

rest, hydrate, eat bananas, eat jello

Rest and lower your intensity

>Tfw used to be able to run half marathon
>Struggle to run 4 miles now

Feels bad man

I do, they come back pretty soon even when I take 3 or 4 weeks off.

Try new shoes/get a form check

Do you do any squats or deadlifts? Sounds like you have an issue with your core.

How many miles are you doing?

Are form checks free at running places or is that a dick move.

No harm in asking if they aren't too busy bruv

What's a good time for a 2 mile run?

>running 10k
>left foot feels numb
Is this bad?

You can always ask. The place I used to buy my shoes used to do them free. In almost all cases, they got a returning customer afterward.

I don't do either of those lifts. I take it I should if I wanna run better?

Of course. Any person looking to get into fitness, no matter what form of exercise or sport including running, should be doing squats and deadlifts.

I can hurt myself if I do those though

How the fuck are you running 7min miles and cant do 10k

Define good

A fast time for a 6'0 196 pounds dude.

Like 13

ran 22k 2 weeks ago, and 26 k on wednesday, some 15ks with higher tempo inbetween

going to run a marathon in 7days! Thinking of doing a 10k tomorrow then a 15k slow wednesday, then get massage and stretch with icebaths 2days before the big run

Good luck on your marathon. It sounds like you haven't really tapered. You should do lower miles this upcoming week than what you have planned. Be sure to carboload!

I'd suggest no running at all 5-6 days before a marathon
then again, that is my personal experience, if you have some training schedule claiming otherwise, k

hoarding carbs is what you ought to be doing during the ~5 days before the run, and not wasting them on some short run

(image unrelated)

Made varsity for my school's next race. 7th spot but still :)

how long should I wait to run after I eat??????????

Depends on how full you are and you personally. I ran like 20 mins after a VERY large breakfast, wanted to puke the whole time. Another time I ran like 40 mins after Mexican and I was good. I'd give it half an hour to an hour

For me personally, 15min-1hour for a light snack. 1-2 hours for light meal. 3 hours for full meal.

What are some good poverty-tier running shoes? Don't have to be good, just have to not be bad.

Is Tabata method HIIT useful?

Running post-workout or on rest days?

Anyone else about to watch the 10000m?

I don't see how they can't get bored running around the track 24 times.

>Running post-workout or on rest days?

Cause I'm sure as hell not running 7 days a week like a retard

cool

Gotta do that cumulative fatigue, bro. You'll see lots of aerobic gains from it.

I workout on rest days