Smokes pot

>smokes pot
>starts losing

So can we all stop it with the "marijuana is harmless" meme now? It clearly kills gains and sabotages athletic performance.

where is the proof that he starting smoking right before he started losing? what if he smoked before 2008 beijing olympics?

He's been smoking since his mid teens dummy

It takes time for the damage to accumulate.

He's broken a multitude of records and is one of the greatest athletes of all time. He's just getting old I mean this is his fourth olympics he's competing against guys who were 12 when he won his first gold

Anyone have the full webm? It's hilarious

What happened? i havent been keeping up with the news.

>one of the greatest athletes of our lifetime
>Has single handedly won more gold medals than most countries
Damn that weed really ruined his career. He could have been one of the greats, but now he's just some pothead nobody with no skills or talent

So it is harmless.

Wow...really makes you think "wtf i hate michael phelps now"

>breaks a 2,106 year record for most medals
>loses one swim out of 22+ straight golds
lmao

Most gold medals are given for swimming as a single sport, and even though strokes are different there isn't a world of difference such as between a short and long distance runner. Also, many competitors are only able to compete in one or few sports or categories. He just has the most opportunities.

Your using vague information that no one knows or could validate to prove some pet theory of yours

Smoking anything definitely hurts respiration. What idiot thinks it's harmless?

He still has to qualify and race for those different events which means multiple races per day and a fuckload in one week. He's beating guys who have all week to rest, while he already raced twice or three times that day.

>there isn't as much of a difference between short and long distance swimming as there is short and long distance swimming

You've obviously never been a swimmer. I was a long distance swimmer and I sucked at sprints. Every sprinter couldn't do nearly as much yardage as I could especially at the same pace. Those are two different animals my friend. And on top of that most people only have two strokes they are good at.

I'm not recapping a decade of news for you faggot.

ITT Faggot OP decides that things in moderation cannot possible be healthy and that smoking weed on occasion is worse than murdering children

Well, pot universally increases metabolism.

So maybe it negatively effects concentration, but in terms of pure muscle building and body shaping it's pretty good.

I think Veeky Forums is the most retarded board in terms of falling for bad bait.

Probably. I always post at night so I'm always tired when I'm reading shit. I definitely fall for it more than I should

>Year 2065
>Michael Phelps dies in his sleep of old age
>His legacy has yet to be matched by anyone
>He lived significantly longer than the vast majority of people
>He was healthy and active even though his last day on earth
>Faggots like you say See kids? That's why you should never smoke pot. It was a ticking time bomb and it finally killed him.

Kind of crazy we lived (hopefully you watched) one of the greatest athletes of our times. Bittersweet.

Murdering children is not in any way, shape or form detrimental to athletic performance unless you do it in such a strenuous manner that it impedes your recovery.

You're a degenerate, just kill yourself.

Whew lad. You are missing the point of anons post.

This is not a moral discussion. This thread is about athletic performance on an international level. Unironic retards who smoke weed and defend smoking weed trigger me.

Weed is not in any way, shape or form 'healthy' and moderation only reduces the damage it causes to your system by reducing how much of it you introduce into your system. The same applies for anything that's ever been used as a painkiller.

M phelps smokes pot and wins more gold medals than anyone ? Sounds like pot is a pretty good PED.

Maybe you're right, but tbqh you're a retard if you think it should illegal just because of athletic performance. Anything that doesn't directly harm others should be a decision left to the individual, not the people. If you don't think it should be illegal then your argument is just moot because it's personal choice and you can't control the people who use it. Sure it most likely does hurt your athletic ability to some extent, but do you really think that is going to change the mind of people who use it?

Motherfucker, it's going to be 60 years before anyone can match this guy in gold. Get fucked.

I don't care about legal or moral issues regarding weed. You can buy codeine over the counter and alcohol is legal. However the argument that weed should be legal is an inconsistency because other painkillers are illegal without a script.

If you asked me for my political views on weed I'd tell you that I think it should be legally prescribed where necessary.

My only problem with weed is that stoners are as stupid and self-righteous as internet feminists and vegans, except for some reason it's not okay to ridicule their stupidity.

Nobody defends drinking alcohol, nobody defends any other drug habits, nobody is stupid enough to come out and say "Ilya Ilyin drank vodka once and he won two gold medals, therefore alcohol is good for you".

I never said anything about legality, either. I only said the stupidity surrounding weed irritates me.

It's just because the ones who go out of their way to defend it are all Bernie cucks who think they can criticize things like religion, capitalism, and conservatism without being contested on their own points. I would get too wrapped around the axle about it dude. I highly doubt smoking weed affected Michael Phelps on a significant level, but I do agree I think people over hype it's safety. I also think that people should be able to use it without a script just because I think it's got a non existent risk of OD and it's less impairing than alcohol. I can totally understand your frustration with those people.

Wouldn't*

I just can't come up with a reason as to why it should be legal. There are enough recreational things on this planet that don't have the added downside of altering your mental state so that you can temporarily ignore mental illness instead of working towards become a better person and feeling good when you're not high.

The things I've seen weed do to people are more than enough of a downside in my opinion. Of course I'm also against regular alcohol consumption for the same reasons, but it's not like anyone tries to convince people alcohol is good for you.

Think about it like this. It won't hurt anybody to make it legal (at least not enough for it to be justified as a dangerous product, much like alcohol) so you can't really justify its illegality in a free country other than "God told me to make it illegal." I think a lot of people are on board with you in the regard that people need to recognize the faults, but I think if you make it legal people will stop trying to defend it so vigilantly. The only reason they're defending it so acutely right now is because they want politicians to only see the benefits in order for them to get it legalized. If we give them what they want they won't care if you say "weed hurts your lungs" they'll just be happy they have it. Sort of a shallow existence for them, but at least they'll stay out of the polls from then on. They're drowning logical people's opinions right now

There's no reason not to make it legal. There are many reasons to not keep it illegal. Like billions of dollars in prison fees to keep marijuana offenders behind bars for no reason. And increased regulation and tax revenue from selling it legally.

>Nobody defends drinking alcohol
Because alcohol isn't illegal. If it was, things would not go over so well. Has your school taught you about prohibition yet?

Nah.

If you need weed you have a problem and it should be illegal for you to have it in a perfect world, if you don't need it then you don't care if it's legalised and you can find something else to do on a Friday night. I'm all ears if you can come up with a situation where there are no downsides to legalising weed, but I can't think of any. It's no secret that the American legal system is flawed, but no individual drug or crime is at fault. The problem with your country is that people follow laws based on wording and technicalities, instead of asking whether or not something is truly dangerous to society or individuals.

In many countries, if you're not doing anything wrong you can get away with being polite to the police or a bribe, like say letting a kid drive around in a circle in an empty park full of grass, or being 15 and buying a bottle of cider at the corner shop. In america the parent will have their kid taken away and the shopkeeper would have their livelihood taken away and be sent to prison.

I grew up in Eastern Europe, the only thing I learned about alcohol as a kid is that most of it tastes gross and that my uncle can teach me how to make wine and brandy for the winter if I ask him.

>The problem with your country is that people follow laws based on wording and technicalities, instead of asking whether or not something is truly dangerous to society or individuals.
>If you need weed you have a problem and it should be illegal for you to have it in a perfect world, if you don't need it then you don't care if it's legalised and you can find something else to do on a Friday night.

Oh the irony. There's no point in debating my country's laws with some europoor who has no idea of the cultural climate, but the first sentence in your post sounds like something straight out of the communist bloc. "You don't need it so you won't care if it's gone right?" Like how retarded can an argument actually be? You've pushed the boundary.
So I guess you'd be alright if your country just randomly made it illegal to work out, or illegal to eat beef, or to drive a motorcycle. You don't need any of those things so you can just find other stuff to do right?

None of those things turn you into a degenerate when you become dependent on them. Also, I'd assume it's pretty obvious I'm not in Europe any more by the way I type but I guess a resident of burgerstan would need ad-hominem to win an argument because their shitty school system failed them.

Yes, generalising everything in the world into "if you don't need it then you're okay with it being gone" is retarded communist bullshit, but when you are LITERALLY talking about being DEPENDENT on a drug it is one hundred per cent valid, you absolute fucking retard.

The fact that you just managed to take the simple implication of "if you are dependent on a narcotic it is bad for you" and convince yourself that I'm feeding you communist propaganda astounds me almost as much as the fact that you're posting on Veeky Forums right now instead of competing for gold in mental gymnastics at Rio.

No it isn't valid. Cigarettes, TV, internet, alcohol, caffeine. Millions are dependent on these crutches to function. You are a fucking commie if you think any of these including weed should be illegal. It's not your place at all to care what people do with their bodies. If people want to be fat alcoholic fucks then let them ruin their own lives. You are not big brother nor should the government be.

So basically you think if it's bad for you the government should make it illegal? Wow I hope you don't like red meat, that might be confirmed to cause cancer soon. I sure hope you don't depend on coffee in the morning or the government might take your coffee rights away.
Seriously dude why do you think the government should give a shit about dependency. The whole economy runs on dependency of materialism and cigarettes and alcohol bring in huge tax money.

Or, you know, nigga is 31, is one of the oldest competitors in his sport at the Olympics and still took home some golds. I don't even smoke weed and OPs logic reeks of bait.

Sprinters don't do long distance. Thanks for reiterating that

Every single one of those addictions carries some level of degeneracy with it except for caffeine, which somehow everyone decided is fine because it doesn't do anything too bad unless you suddenly stop taking it, regardless, I also don't drink coffee.

I don't think there's any particular reason for weed to be legal and freely available. I specifically stated I don't actually care if it is or it isn't.

However, being dependent brings a certain level of degeneracy with it and I will consider anyone dependent on weed or any substance a lesser version of themselves. I'm not telling people what to do to their bodies, I'm just sitting here and judging them for being shitty people and trying to make the point that enabling these people is stupid and pointless. If you have a problem with that you can fuck off to tumblr or some other place where it's illegal to offend anyone.

See above or one of my earlier posts, this is my second or third time saying I couldn't give less of a shit if it's legal or not, but telling me somebody needs to take action and make it legal will simply make me ask you "why?". People gave me reasons, I gave reasons why legalising weed does not solve those problems (prison, recreation, etc). My point has been consistent throughout; there is no good reason to make weed freely available. Therefore it does not need to happen. There may or may not have been a good reason to make it illegal originally, I don't care enough to research that.

If red meat, cigarettes and coffee were made illegal my day to day life would not change. Chicken is easy as fuck to prepare, cheap and lean. The fact that people need to bitch to the government to make one of their crutches legal when there are already countless legal crutches for degenerates to abuse disgusts me. Nobody should have to go out of their way to accommodate stoners, they can go fuck themselves just like every other junkie out there. The economy is also doing fine without weed.

>If you have a problem with that you can fuck off to tumblr or some other place where it's illegal to offend anyone.
You are the one who thinks it's okay to literally make laws stopping people from "being degenerate" around you.

Why do people fucking care so much about weed. Literally all it does is make you goofy/relaxed/happy and fix weird medical problems and cancer. Everyone is either bashing or praising it like its something super crazy like black tar heroin or the AIDs vaccine

No, I just think it's more than okay to do nothing instead of pandering to delusional drug addicts. That's all. Otherwise I'd be preaching for alcohol and coffee to be made illegal immediately.

Argument of degeneracy says you should stop posting, get rid of your computer, and spend all your free time bettering yourself and none of it here. But of course both of us know thats not going to happen because youre a filthy hedonistic bastard that likes to enjoy various things.

This thread is just a pathetic kids attempt at demeaning something fun because he himself is a loser

This is true, however the difference is I'm not trying to convince anyone that arguing with people on Veeky Forums is good for you and cures cancer, nor am I asking anyone to make it easier for me to do so. I'd also make the argument that it doesn't negatively affect my life, but that's subject to debate.

You got me