RTW

what is the historic basis for these guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sogdia#/media/File:BactrianZoroastrian.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Cotton and wicker shields.

They're from the pajama wars. The comfiest conflict in history.

They're eastern desert conscripts with cheap shields, cheap spears, and crap training you throw at military problems until they go away.

they're dressed in a child like view of what the persian empire roughly used for infantry. Spears and wicker shields were common and easy to make and it doesnt require a lot of training to assemble a force of these dudes in a pickle. basically most of the world at the time of the greco-persian wars fought in this fashion because the biggest threat was horse archers which heavy infantry were useless in chasing down.

Nope.

The Parthian Army was mostly a cavalry army. The few infantry they had were pretty much a mess of infantry recruited from wherever. Usually from subject states that had good infantry.

They'd actually be wearing a hodge-podge of Eastern and Hellenic equipment and only went to action as a mopping up force.

It was the Sassanids who had a more organized infantry force.

To actually wear the purple/pink robes, like in the picture, one would have had to have been very wealthy in those years. I've generally disliked how older Total War games were focused on faction colors, so much. It made sense for Empire and Napoleon: Total War, because there were uniform colors that resembled the faction color concept, but thankfully, they have improved in that regard with later Total War games. I still play Europa Barbarorum for Rome: Total War, and also Medieval II: Total War.

Yes purple dye was teriffically expensive

why did middle-easterners easterners always deploy cheap disposable infantry?

>middle-easterners easterners
What do you mean by this?

You joke and all, but I would totally buy a pajama set based on this.

Because you believed in Greco-Roman libel.

Parthian infantry- as I have said- are a mixture of peoples. They included Greek subjects of the former Seleucid Empire the Parthians conquered, Caucasus mountain tribesemen, the old Persian regiments of the Kardaka, and various tribal people like the Daylami.

These were a mixture of professional soldiers, part-time warriors, tribal warriors, and mercenaries. To a man they were warriors.

They just resembled cheap because Parthians preferred light infantry. Considering the bulk of the fighting was done by their cavalry.

Pic related, a Parthian Period stucco depicting an infantryman of their service. Bearing Greek weapons.

sorry , middle-esterners/ easterners
The Daylami infantry are particularly famous i think, in that i keep hearing about them. were they particularly different from your average aforementioned hodgepodge of guys holding spears?

also

I want to know the historic basis for that stupid fucking hat.

Its just a shitty low poly/res of whatever this is called.

Ferocious Iranic mountainigger tribesemen along the Caspian Sea who pretty much resisted foreign intrusion, so the Parthians, Sassanids, and Later Muslim rulers sought them out as infantry.

They were really good infantry in Attila: good armor, strong against other armored units, good morale, the sassykids get all of their amazing cavalry and missile infantry on top of having these bastards for their infantry line, scary setup to face.

The Achaemenid Empire did historically field good infantry consisting of brave and competent fighters. They just got their reputation for being a bunch of sissies that any man with a sharpened spade could plow through because we compare them to hoplites which is frankly not fair as the two are completely differently equipped as a result of the military focus of their culture.

>Battle_of_Issus.jpg (3.62 MB, 2192x1024)
>download it
>it's 4.27MB
>can't upload it to Veeky Forums

Explain this wizardry

*Aztec warriors block your path*

How is getting captured and sacrificed “comfy?”

do you know how a phalanx army could defeat a horse archer army?

From my knowledge of history, each time the Seleucids wanted to reconquer the east, was quite comfy.
Were there even wars or did the local aristocracy just submit and rebelled whenever it could?

Pretty sure it was the Sparabara, or "shield-bearers". I think they basic Achaemenid battle line would consist of a shield wall of these guys who defended the army's foot archers as the fired. They were not peasant levies or slave-soldiers. In fact, they were well-trained freemen and could go toe-to-toe with most other field-armies of the time with the proper support. The huge exception being the Greeks and Macedonians, who based their warfare on heavily armed and professional spearmen.

Idk I just grabbed it off wiki commons.

>only Alexander is visible
somehow reminds me of those Stalin pictures where people keep disappearing.

It was a floor mosaic found in a home in Pompeii.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sogdia#/media/File:BactrianZoroastrian.jpg

Bactrian style headdress

>greeks
>professional army
Only spartans have professional soldiers, all other greeks use militia

Mine says it's 3.62

>Alexander attacked and beat the Persian army at Issus all on his own
What did the Romans mean by this?

What he said except the part about professional hoplites (atleast not in the beginning of the greco-persian conflicts), those came later. The persians actually hired alot of them as mercenaries.

ACKCHYUALLY it's not a sogdian headdress but pic related.

Why hurt khitten?

Veeky Forums as fuck heavy armor is for pussies
(Heavy armor isn’t actually for pussies)

I'm also getting 4.27MB desu. The original image on Wikipedia commons is also exactly the same at 4.27MB.

In your professional opinion, which is better, Europa Barbarorum I for RTW or Europa Barbarorum II for M2TW?

Oh shit no the one on Wikipedia commons is actually 3.62MB, but when downloading it off Veeky Forums it magically turns itself into 4.27MB.

I sense Veeky Forums are embedding botnets into its images.

I might take this to /g/.

WIki probably compresses their images.

Is there any mod making Rome2 playable? Or a Attila mod about classical era?

DEI is pretty good but you’ll want a faster battles submod
Ancient Empires was the big Antiquity conversation for Attila but I’m not sure if the guy ever finished

It was due two years ago but is still crashing

I fail to see the relevance to my post.

>wanting a faster battles submod

How did Alexander ever defeat Darius? I thought the Persian military was infinitely larger and superior in quality to the poor-ass Macedonians and Greeks.

The macedonian military was the finest in the world (or atleast in the west) at the time and included a gaggle of truly great generals.
Alexander was also quite the daredevil in his tactics as he, in atleast two battles IIRC, gambled his fortunes on that he would be able to reach Darius and make him flee before his own army succumbed to the vastly numerically superior persian host. When this succeeded the people on the persian side quickly lost faith as seeing your Great King run for his life comes as quite a shock to their morale.

Another thing to take into consideration is that allthough the persian military capacity was tremendeous on paper in reality it would take for ever to muster them all at one place and such a scenario would be absolutely ruinously expensive.

the impression i get, correct me if i'm wrong, is that the Persian military being an amalgamation of various satrapies and tribes, was quite difficult to coordinate whilst the macedonian army under Phillip and later Alexander was a cohesive army that could be excellently maneuvered through a direct command chain , owing in part to the commonality of Hellenic culture and language.

Larger, yes. Superior , no. Western forces were much better equipped and had better morale

>faster battles submod
Or just recruit pikes, they're about as broken as they were when vanilla released.

That's certainly how the Athenians explained Salamis and Marathon, though I'm not sure about Macedon and Alexander.

No, the Persian military was shit and had been for at least 150 years prior to Alexander, maybe more. The Persian technique for dealing with the Greeks for time out of mind was "Pay them to fight each other".

Xenophon tramples over half of Persia, sacking and looting as he goes, and he had an army about a quarter of the size of Alexander's and far less professional and versatile.

That certainly meshes with what I know on the subject. Case in point: The first army Alexander defeated when he crossed the hellespont was one raised by the local satrap. Allthough then again that might have more to do with the fact that up untill the satrap's defeat it was a regional matter rather than a royal one.

Xenophon also mentions that the persian infantry had a tendency to flee in terror whenever they tried to charge it.

I still just prefer Rome: Total War's version of the mod. The new one is more historically accurate and has more features, but I find myself playing the older one because I have a better handle on how things work. My opinion is based around comfort, not historical fact, so if that is your concern most of all, the second Europa Barbarorum is excellent for that. Both versions are wonderful modifications, which appear as though they were new games made from the ground up, not bearing too much resemblance to default Total War, in the best ways possible.