Why was religion / philosophy linked arm and arm with science until only relatively recently?

Why was religion / philosophy linked arm and arm with science until only relatively recently?

What are modern scientists missing out on by not studying philosophy or believing in a higher power?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QgUXGcEXUhc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They weren't though.

Science didn't really exist until the Enlightenment.

When religion and """"science"""" were close together they passed off things like astrology, alchemy, and metaphysics as science.

The Greeks were into geometry, math, and physics you tard

epistemology made more impressive developments prior to the enlightenment than after.

They also believed in things like "everything is made of water"

I bet you really believe your pic is anything but an asinine straw man.

When you can bring some empirical evidence for any religious bullshit, then scientists will look into it.

t. illiterate

>empirical evidence
name one thing that thats discovered

You mean like all of modern science? Are you autistic?

>all of modern science
thats not a discovery brainlet. NAme one thing empicical evidence has discovered.

And we know this dictum because of Hume.

They certainly didn't understand the scientific method though. Knowing that a^2+b^2=c^2 is not the same as science.

all of modern science

Lmfao this is the biggest troll post I've ever seen over something so fucking stupid. Bring me tangible proof that god or Jesus or even the fucking flying goat of foreaihn existed and then we'll see what scientists say

Name one thing discovered by means that aren't empirical and you still know to be true.

insect

Discoveries are made from empirical evidence, brainlet. Was the fact that you could empirically test apples falling from trees not part of Newton's discoveries?

A socratic King is Pious.

The engine was not made from empirical evidence it was made by thought experiments.

not really though

>complain about strawmen
>post a strawman yourself

This is complete bullshit. No shit someone had to think to come up with hypotheses to test USING EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE to figure out new things, but without empirical backing, no amount of armchair hypotheticals will be considered valid or practical. Empiricism is absolutely necessary in science for a good reason.

Right because religious people don't constantly claim prayer and miracles directly led to some sort of physical healing for them or someone they know.

Ford himself stated that he made very car and the original car engine just from thought experiments. There was nothing to test, because he understood the platonic forms.

>every religious person is some bible thumping hillbilly nutjob
Are you 15?

>he never read the enchiridion

Ford invented neither the engine nor the car you fucking idiot.

>idiot.

>.

This from a guy who probably thinks every atheist is a fat neckbearded fedoran. Like it or not, plenty of religious people do that shit. I never said they all do.

You know how many armchair inventors there are in the world who'll tell anyone willing to listen to their insane asses that they know how to build a fucking warp drive or some shit? Unless you can demonstrate it and test it empirically, you haven't really discovered shit.

>Like it or not, plenty of religious people do that shit.
Yeah if they're named Cleetus or live in Zimbabwe, maybe

>hypotheticals
doesn't change the fact that empirical evidence is garbage. Plato himself proved it.

Because the base of philosophy is honesty and the pursuit of an absolute truth, while science was used more and more to push agendas, right now a leftis liberal one.

>Oh no I got caught strawmanning
>better strawman again by implying the other guy must do the same

Fuck you

> I never said they all do.

You pretty much did. I'm atheist as fuck but people like you are a joke.

>real things aren't real because plato's cave

Off yourself

> What are modern scientists missing out on by not studying philosophy or believing in a higher power?

Nothing. It took us a bit to make that knowledge common but here we are. Besides, a lot of the scientists are still religious.

>real things aren't real
your grapshing for imagniary worlds when the fact remains that sceintists are garbage people and have the least amount of rigor in their fields of study. Where it is expected that they all waste their time for generations.

Faggot, please. I've never in my life heard another atheist say they think the universe "came from nothing". I've heard plenty of religious people claim they got some kind of divine assistance for their medical ailment.

Oh, so OP is just a philosophy freshman.

>I've heard plenty of religious people claim they got some kind of divine assistance for their medical ailment.
Nice backpeddaling

>there exists someone who's this much of an ass burger

Ok, dumbass. Go ahead and lay out for us how scientists are "garbage people" with "the least amount of rigor in their fields of study". I bet you're religious..

How is that back peddling?

The universe came from nothing since everything that exists was created with the big bang.

>I've never in my life heard another atheist say they think the universe "came from nothing". I've heard plenty of religious people claim they got some kind of divine assistance for their medical ailment.

Either way, neither of those things are relevant to the bullshit you were peddling before. You accused all Christians, and then you also strawmanned that all Christians strawman. As an intelligent atheists you should know that your anecdotal evidence has no relevance.

the scientific method has no rigor to it and they clamor to get to perform human experimentation.

After claiming Ford invented cars or engines (remember that? lol), you know claim yet more nonsense. Do you have any actual experience in some field of science? Please give some examples of lack of rigor in scientific studies please. How come their results hold up and their technological advancements keep functioning if they have no rigor in their fields of study?

That's complete nonsense. What does "nothing" look like? How is it possible for anything to come from it? You say you're an atheist but say everything was "created" with the big bang? Get your shit together, fuckwit. The proper answer when asked what the origin of the observable universe is is "we don't fucking know". Not god, sure as shit not "nothing", just "we don't know".

>You accused all Christians

Literally when.

People claiming that God/ their believe/ some sort of spiritual concept helped them through their sickness/ suffering is not nearly on the same level as people claiming that praying can cure amputees, my man. I mean, there's multiple studies finding that religiosity can indeed be a protective factor against several psychological problems for example

>do all this shit for me
name one thing that was discovered by empirical evidence.

>the scientific method has no rigor to it

Wow. Great argument, champ. I guess we can disregard science now, guys, this dude just completely shit on them.

atoms were disovered before that was made. What do we have after it? Morons like you and evolution.

>What does "nothing" look like?
We don't know
>How is it possible for anything to come from it?
We don't know
>You say you're an atheist but say everything was "created" with the big bang?
Yes, this is common knowledge btw. We know that the Universe came into existence with the event called "the Big Bang". Before that it did not exist. There was nothing.

all of modern science

>People claiming that God/ their believe/ some sort of spiritual concept helped them through their sickness/ suffering is not nearly on the same level as people claiming that praying can cure amputees, my man

It's like you don't get it at all. Big fuckin surprise. I'm not talking about it being a useful psychological crutch, I'm talking about people unironically claiming that they recovered from a sickness or some other physical ailment or even escaped some dangerous situation, because of divine intervention. This is an extremely common claim and if you disagree you're either ignorant or dishonest. The problem, as that pic I posted addresses, is that it's funny how such miraculous healing never seems to occur in any cases but the ones we'd expect some percentage of people to recover from or otherwise survive...

No they weren't you fucking retard. The idea of an atom was hypothesized. Protip: what we call an atom is not similar to this idea of an atom, since an atom is not in fact indivisible.

>This is an extremely common claim and if you disagree you're either ignorant or dishonest.
I believe we're done here

maggot

>atoms were disovered before that was made

Atmos were discovered before what was made? The scientific method? No, dumbass, they weren't. Fundamental particles were idealized in thought experiments by the Greeks and that's it. They weren't fucking "discovered" in ancient Greece you god damn chromosome collector.

agricultural farming

If you're not gonna even attempt a retort, yep, we are.

What kind of retort are you expecting? I'm sorry you live in bumfuck nowhere, incest county, I guess.

>he didn't know!
you are very very dumb

Look up what a "justified true belief" is, dumb dumb. This is basic shit.

>What are modern scientists missing out on by not believing in a higher power?
Explain to me what you think they're missing out andd how the belief in god will better their math.

>not studying philosophy
Because philosophy doesn't use the scientific method and thus it's conclusions cannot be used scientifically.

>believing in a higher power?
Scientifically speaking, it's irrational to even consider a higher power since there is basically no evidence of it's existence, which makes it a pure product of human imagination, wishful thinking and illogical rationalizations about the (still) unknowable origin of the universe.

Meanwhile philosophers and theologists are expected to waste their time indefinitely, as they're not capable of accomplishing anything of value.

they made civilization and improved it to this day. Think nuclear power.

>they made civilization and improved it to this day. Think nuclear power.
You say that, then use an example of something done by scientists and engineers, not philosophers.

>The problem, as that pic I posted addresses, is that it's funny how such miraculous healing never seems to occur in any cases but the ones we'd expect some percentage of people to recover from or otherwise survive...

God doesn't like being attributed with magic healings.

youtube.com/watch?v=QgUXGcEXUhc

this board is full of atheist brainlets

>i don kno how dem stuf hapen'd en shiet so muh god made dem lmao, am I kool and contrarian now mum

The Universe didn't have a beginning but time began at the Big Bang.

>I NEED EVIDENCE FOR MY BELIEFS

>i biliv wat muh fee fees tell me
Literally no brain whatsoever.

>I AM A SOULLESS COMPUTER
everything is based on emotion

>everything is made of water
they weren't wrong

>I'm supr speshul snolflake OC character en hav fri will en soul but i can't pruve any of dis stop bulling me it ids in muh speshul fanfic book donut steel

This is quite literally the history of humanity.
You are above nothing.
Give in to your emotions.

insightful and constructive discussion

That's called a "Theory"

>muh emotions have a bearing on reality
>some iron-age spearchuckers and goatfuckers tripped balls and said stuff 2-3k years ago so it must be true
It's like watching vacuum produce noise.

yes to both of your >
It's so obvious, and yet you will not accept it.

I'm pretty sure science isn't regrowing limbs either

Atheistic materialism is a faith of it's own. That faith took control of the West. Hence you have most Western Scientist as Atheistic Materialist.

>What are modern scientists missing out on by not studying philosophy
Who says they aren't?

>or believing in a higher power
trying to sneak some bathwater in with my baby eh?

do you mean to water down the usage of "faith " into just "position"? because common usage of faith is more like "belief with no evidence/in spite of contrary evidence"

>empirical evidence is garbage
I enjoy this retarded argument. Lol, how do you know that you know what you know? None of the things you know are reliable. Fuck thermodynamics and gravity. We can’t possibly know how those work in any real way and predict the outcomes based on tried and tested experimentation! It exists, so therefore it’s unreliable.

Kill. Yourself.

You belong on
you ignorant child telling me
>How can you know?!?!?!??!
by having a skill you fucking drone

>your grasping
You’re

Also, you’re grasping at an idea that you don’t fully understand, apparently. Please just stop.

>by having a skill you fucking drone
I don’t understand what point of mine you’re trying to dismiss. I was making fun of your retarded argument that Plato’s philisophical ideas about knowledge and truth are even remotely relevant to how the Universe actually functions. Get off your Phil101 high horse and take some entry-level physics courses.

One word:

Darwin

I already passed that class you basic bitch

>contribute directly to the nazi empire, eugenics, and genocide

You obviously haven’t, considering the stuff you claim to be logical argument and just how unfounded your opinions are.

>I passed Phil101
>I am at least 5 IQ points above a literal drooling retard
>This is seen as an accomplishment
You have got to be a joke. FFS

>unfounded your opinions
nice story

Fuckin shit, this thread is still going.

Yeah, science isn't regrowing limbs YET. We're getting pretty fuckin close though. Either way, how does that take away from what I was saying before?

>muh atheistic materialism

You mean not believing in magic? How exactly is that a "faith"?

>>empirical evidence
>name one thing that thats discovered

>Atheistic materialism is a faith of it's own. That faith took control of the West.

Read Nietzsche

His thing was dumb, and was a straw man, but atheism is a childish stance on religion the people with underdeveloped minds and inflated egos believe.