youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqJmQZgy9f_exMmM9uinxHDTdTr4PisyC
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Jean de Arc
>Maximillian style plate armour
what

*blocks your path*

bampu

Is that Oliver Cromwell

I unironically love The Course of Empire series by Thomas Cole.

>DRESS
How dare you.

homesick for a place ive never been

Who /maniera/ here

Fuck the pope

My brother.

Hey, no making out before getting executed

I like this one.

Impossible to have just one but Jusepe de Ribera is one of my favourites

I've always been more of a Zurbaran guy, myself.

Unfortunately seeing this on a computer screen doesn't do it justice. I recently saw this IRL and was stunned, it's about 2m x 5m so the figures are almost lifesize and the moment you come across it you freeze. It's as if they're hovering towards you. Truely awesome (in the original sense of the word)

desu all baroque art and especially the painting is quite spectacular (literally)

I always find incomplete works interesting, because they give you some insight into the artist's procedure.
Here's a mock up for a fresco series by a semi-obscure early renaissance artist. Pretty interesting that it survived

Which Judith do you prefer?

Or this?

There is no High Res version of this, unfortunately.
You know I prefer Gentileschi's. We've discussed this

Seriously, this has been discussed before? Mustn't have been with me I haven't posted on Veeky Forums in ages!

I prefer the colour and light in Gentileschi's but I quite like the layout of Caravaggio's

Am I crazy or strange if the detail and shine on the plate caught my attention more than the head in the St John painting you posted?

Here's some great chiaroscuro by Caravaggio

Baroque sculpture is even more spectacular imo, can't best Bernini's Bel Compostos

Completely agree

>Seriously, this has been discussed before
Someone got mad at me for not preferring Caravaggio overall.
I feel like the scene is more visceral in hers, while Caravaggio's is more theatrical.

I like how Holofernes only limply tries to fight off Judith, clearly being too far gone to offer any real resistance, instead of the loud, roaring figure in Caravaggio. I feel like Gentileschi's picture would highly benefit from a cleaning, though, as that varnish is very yellowed.
I think Caravaggio's Judith is more attractive, though.

I'll see your Caravaggio, and raise you the tenebrism of the Utrecht Caravaggisto Adam de Coster

I like Mino de Fiesole, the early Renaissance Sculptor. I think he captures a nice atmosphere with his exaggerated busts

>Someone got mad at me for not preferring Caravaggio overall.
Autism alert lol.

The expression of the old woman to the right is very good in Caravaggio's version but I have to say I prefer Gentilsechi's in almost every way. It's the theatricality like you say.

I love Adam de Coster. Have some Titian, should have been posted already ITT shame on us.

I also like Medieval and Renaissance polycromy. Luckily, it survived in Spain after falling out of favor in the rest of Europe.

Carracci's and Caravaggio's paintings were incredible and intense but for me it's undeniable that this is peak Baroque.

Renaissance art is quite innocent in comparison to the Baroque, it has quite a calming effect on me.

Well, Baroque was all about dramatism/pathetism after all, it was an essential part of its rethoric.

I agree, the crazy thing is that they also designed the whole building around it too not just the statues and their surrounding edifice.

The Lamentation of Niccolò dell'Arca is one of the most stunning Baroque sculptures I've ever seen.

Both haunting and strangely comfy.

George Gittoes, Blood and Tears, 1997

Painted after studies done in the immediate aftermath of the Kibeho massacre. Saw this at an exhibition when I was probably around 8-10, really stayed with me since.

I think Pietro Torrigiano is the key figure in introducing Florentine sensibilities to Spanish polychromy that would define persons like Pedro da Mena in the 17th century. He gets a bad rap, despite being a great sculptor.
I have to profess an unacceptable ignorance of Venetian art. When I think of greats, Titian and Tintoretto almost never enter my mind, even though they're quite admirable.

I do like the Bellinis and Antonella da Messina, though.

True, it was carefully planned to.

I'm trying to find a great painted terracotta sculptor I saw on one of Januzczak's documentary's but I can't remember/find it for the life of me.

Recently, I've been getting interested into what I call Ancient Pop art. It gives you a little perspective and depth to the common people that might get distorted by looking solely at the great works we'd easily recognize.

Here's a little comic figure with comically exaggerated proportions

True, cornaros chapel was considered one of the most ostentatious and spectacular of its time. It's important to remember that Bernini tried to represent the climax of the moment. This, in conjuction with the complementary scenographies resulted in a very spiritual and even oniric experience.

>I'm trying to find a great painted terracotta sculptor I saw on one of Januzczak's documentary's
Bernt Notke?

Yes dammit! Good man, bravo!

Probably my favorite Spanish Polychrome. I just love the detail in the thrush mat she wraps around herself. I've always been a fan of the Magdalene in art. I feel like painters who find a subject in her to be quite in line with my artistic sensibilities.
I paused the video and ran to save some work by him, so I wouldn't lose it. I don't agree with Januzczak's views on some things, namely Vasari, but he's a great at giving lesser known artists popular exposure. While not obscure, I love his Gauguin doc.

Check out Tilman Riemenschneider if you haven't for some more great Wood Sculpture

I think it was meant to try and re-instill in the public the awe and fear in God (and therefore the church)

>I paused the video and ran to save some work by him, so I wouldn't lose it.
Always happens with me too.

What did he say about Vasari you disagreed with?

To be honest I'm a little annoyed he didn't mention ANY of the art that was going on in the Byzantine Empire at the time before 1453. I mean if he's going to go as far North as Scandinavia why not visit the South/East too? (and yes i know it was more stifled but at least a glance would have been interesting)

> Tilman Riemenschneider
Awesome indeed, only seen this one before.

I absolutely love Gothic sculpture, especially the elongated figures of Chartres.
That's baroque in general. It was a push against the Reformation by literally awing the Catholic peoples into embracing the Catholic faith.
If you want to see real dichotomy, check out the flashy Baroque Flemish art of Flanders and compare it to the somewhat somber Netherlandish painting. Both are great, but it's interesting to see such discrepancy at such close distance

I agree with you, the purpose was to instill a contemplative state which opened the spectator to receive the mystic message of the image.

I made some terrible OC with that once.

>To be honest I'm a little annoyed he didn't mention ANY of the art that was going on in the Byzantine Empire at the time before 1453
Here's a BBC Doc for you. Not Waldemar, but the other guy.
youtube.com/watch?v=c2xF3Bk70NQ
As for his views on Vasari; he characterized him as a sub par artist, which simply isn't true.

Also, Vasari's biases aren't particular to him. Florentines had issues with the Venetian style in general, and vice versa. As for his ignorance of the north; he couldn't exactly see those works for himself. He simply knew van Eyck was good, because he heard he was.

Goya is pretty based.

I'm going to shill Odilon Redon in every art thread, and no one will stop me.

>dat caravaggio

Don't mind me, just destroying every preconceived notion about perspective and distance.

Don't even get me started on his brilliant photography and film work. I think the camera was a greater tool to him than the brush ever was.

>tfw my Mickey Merisi files are too large to post

Very. All my other Goyas are too big for Veeky Forums I guess.

>4mb limit
Fuck's sake. Have this Bronzino instead.

You are like little baby. Watch this

>tfw

It doesn't seem impressive until you try and do his style and you realize just how painstaking it is to do these intricate perfect symmetrical lines. but then I like a lot of Zen and minimalist stuff so that probably also explains why I love this piece. Add in some symbolism by naming it after the opening lyrics from the nazi Germany national anthem gets you thinking about some pretty interesting concepts in what is a black and white painting.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y2T0qDDo1Dk

Cake in just to say that this thead is a win

At least I can post my Gwens

>when plebians critique you so hard you have to take them to court to teach them how useless art critics are

One of my favorite things about Monet and impressionism is the insistence on using natural lighting and capturing realistic scenes. It lends such a sense of gemütlichkeit to the paintings.

Here's how Rembrandt chose to address the critic community.

Speaking of Rembrandt, who here has watch John Walsh's lecture series from last year? It's great.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqJmQZgy9f_exMmM9uinxHDTdTr4PisyC

L'antico is an interesting sculptor. He played around a lot with polychrome in bronze, similar to what Ancient Greeks did, as seen in the Riace Bronzes.

Heironymous Bosch is interesting for me because it's a case of reverse association for me. I gre up reading MAD magazine and loved every little cartoon Sergio Aragones did. His style is very similar to how Bosch fills every square inch of his pictures with a little story leading to a cacophony of events and actions taking place simultaneously that's like a story every time you shift your eyes slightly.

Times change, good boys don't

Here's Sergio Aragones so you can see what I mean. I love guys who cram things full of little caricatures that have just enough features to convey some basic actions.

That's Brueghel, bruddah

Say thankyou to mount tambora

This is an amazing documentary! Wish there were more like it. Good films about Byzantium are very thin on the ground.

My favourite painting by Bosch

P.S. This thread is awesome.

I love the stylized depiction of Cardinal Richelieu in this.

the part that always get's me is the fact that he is driving by himself

When it comes to modern art I actually prefer American stuff (prior to Ab-Ex becoming a thing). In drawing comparisons to contemporaneous European styles, I feel as if shit like Suprematism and Furturism and all of these other weird subsets of expressionistic art are all dog shit. Cubism is cool though.

based romanticism

>Jean de Arc
what

>Page 9
Shameful

Always found El Greco very interesting. His works look so modern, even though they were painted in the early 1600s.