Tell me about the history of money

Tell me about the history of money.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RrwbgdtbdXE
xat.org/xat/moneyhistory.html
viking.som.yale.edu/will/finciv/chapter1.htm
bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/quarterlybulletin/2014/qb14q1prereleasemoneycreation.pdf
bankofengland.co.uk/-/media/boe/files/quarterly-bulletin/2014/money-creation-in-the-modern-economy.pdf
bankofengland.co.uk/-/media/boe/files/quarterly-bulletin/2014/money-in-the-modern-economy-an-introduction.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

NO

*rubs hands*

Ferguson

Extra Credits made a great video series on the history of money. I suggest you check it out.

der juden founded the VOC and invented capitalism

Read Debt: The First 5000 Years.

Nice cuffs, froggo

I wonder who was the first guy to use interest its been fucking people in the arse since forever

literally Jews. I'm not a pol fag but the invention of debt/interest is what began formal anti-Semitism

i know roman lenders used it as well it caused massive butthurt among the plebs and the ancient greeks but i don't know about palestine

it repeats itself

Interest bearing loans were invented in Mesopotamia. In fact the invention of writing is linked to the invention of accounting and the recording of debt.

Volume One of 'Capital' by Marx is an excellent history of money.

>youtube.com/watch?v=RrwbgdtbdXE
this tells you just about everything in 30 minutes

xat.org/xat/moneyhistory.html

i knew about the loans but not about interest. that's... INTERESTing.

If you aren't reading Martin Armstrong's blog you MCFUCKED up

Who else /long UPRO/ and /long XIV/ here?

This? Whenever I see Ferguson mentioned on Veeky Forums it's usually with derision. Is it good?

>The jews funded the VOC
>Capitalism started with the VOC
>money is a capitalist concept

viking.som.yale.edu/will/finciv/chapter1.htm
Fun read about the entrepreneur Dumuzi-gamil and his role in the great financial crisis of 1788 BC.

'Money Changes Everything' by William Goatzmann is fucking incredible. It's more about the history of finance to be honest but its an interesting enough story with lots of twists that its worth having a look at anyway.

"A History of Money' by Glyn Davis is okay. A little dry, its much more focused on money itself. Great if you want to learn about coinage and how kings used to fuck everyone over through debasement.

"Ascent of Money' by Niall Ferguson has it's moments. It also has a documentary that's or free on Youtube if that's how you like to get your information.

allegedly when he stays within his specialty of economic history he does a good job but his more pop historical books are shit

>Allende was satan and Pinochet helped create a democratic and rich Chile.

>Bullshit job

/long SPXL/ here

tl;dr: it was devised by the eternal anglos

look here, we the jews now

I also recomend this.

Look up the brits that are mentioned in the videos. Really interesting figures.

>reddit unironic rick and morty meme

I summon TURKposter to purify this thread

Yes, the book is fantastic. Also, just because a handful of pseuds dislike Ferguson doesn't mean Veeky Forums dislikes him

Uhhh a long time ago people traded in gold and other valuable shit for goods and services, but that was annoying so they invented coins that had a certain pre set value, usually measured by how big it was and how rare the material it was made from was.

But that was annoying so then everybody started trading little slips instead that represented a certain amount of gold or other valuable things, but then THAT got annoying so we have computer numbers and it's all tied to gold and other valuable things aswell but also because everyone believes the computers numbers have value and everything would fall apart if the numbers didn't have value.

Not history, but a fascinating (and brief) official document on how money is created nowadays: bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/quarterlybulletin/2014/qb14q1prereleasemoneycreation.pdf

apparently that pdf is dead
bankofengland.co.uk/-/media/boe/files/quarterly-bulletin/2014/money-creation-in-the-modern-economy.pdf is the same thing though
bankofengland.co.uk/-/media/boe/files/quarterly-bulletin/2014/money-in-the-modern-economy-an-introduction.pdf is simpler

The computer numbers have value because an accredited state says they are legal tender, their supply is limited and they can be exchanged for goods and services. Because they can be exchanged for these goods and services, the total supply of money's value is essentially the same as the collectively-decided value for all goods and services that are for sale. Money doesn't need intrinsic value, it just needs to be a stand-in for value itself, a means by which we exchange valuables.

>supply is limited

In the sense that there is only so much avaiable at a given time, yes.

Because there are more people being born that will need legal tender to conduct their own transactions, and because the total market value increases as it becomes more capable of producing and distributing valuables the money that is held would increase in value while also making it harder for people to earn money (basically concentrating wealth in an unsustainable manner). So we increase supply at a slow, steady, predictable rate (there's other reasons too).

>Because there are more people being born that will need legal tender to conduct their own transactions, and because the total market value increases as it becomes more capable of producing and distributing valuables the money that is held would increase in value while also making it harder for people to earn money
if the supply was totally fixed, i mean