Christian dark Ages:

>"Christian dark ages"
>Dark ages = lack of written sources
>Byzantines were Christian and had no Dark ages

How can people be so god damn sloppy with terminology and thinking to miss this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because for overall Europe Greek Byzantines play only a minor role.

>How can people be so god damn sloppy with terminology and thinking to miss this?

Because no one actually calls it the Christian Dark Ages, and historians hate the term "Dark Ages"

>Because no one actually calls it the Christian Dark Ages,

I've literally heard this myself, especially in secular circles. The narrative is that Christianity showed up, destroyed the Roman Empire, and ushered in the Dark Ages.

>do the schizzy because pope is gay
>civilize eastern europe
>as a consequence, Russia forms
>Muslims envy you so much they don't stop annoying you until they completely subjugate you
>Ottoman empire forms from your remains
>catholic church becomes so corrupt and obsessed in taling you down that everything goes to shit everywhere else
n-not influencial

>Greek Byzantines play only a minor role
Have you ever read a book on medieval history, like, ever. Please, either kys or burn your computer you complete moron.

This is the normie narrative no doubt, I usually spit some random facts at them and they shut up, trust in historians user, we should prevail eventually.

>I've literally heard this myself, especially in secular circles

Have you heard it in any serious ACADEMIC circles?

Because if you have they need to be slapped. Shit hasn't been called the Dark Ages since the 19th century

Wut

No it isn't. The narrative is that Rome fell and Western Europe entered a "Dark Age" until Charlemagne, which is true. Unless you consider Ostrogothic and Lombardic civilization to be even close to Rome's level.

>some kingdoms weren't as advanced as the Roman Empire therefore it was a dark age.

>some kingdoms
What kingdom in Western Europe was as advanced as the Roman Empire?

Which is why modern historians hate the term "Dark ages"

Why... Just why do people respond to feels posters... I don't get it...

G*rmanic Dark Ages*

>and historians hate the term "Dark Ages"
Historians tend to use the term "Dark Ages" for that bit in the 400s-600s when Europe was a mess of warring overnight Germanic states.

It ended under Frankish hegemony by the 700s.

What historians hate is referring to the entire Medieval period as Dark Ages.

None in Western Europe but the Roman Empire was still around in the east.

Didn't western Europe not really recover (in terms of economic and technological development) until around the turn of the millennium? I don't think education and literacy, urban development, engineering and trade levels were anything like late antiquity in 800AD. No one wrote a work of geography or secular history or philosophy for an age after the fall of Rome.

Population and 'estimated' GDP aren't accurate but they can give a sense of the less developed nature of western Europe until around the turn of the millennium.

Yes, of course, among the experts, they're goign to be more careful about terminology. But I have heard many people in my life time put that narrative forth. I was at a reading for a book tour, and of course, they said "And Europe became Christian, ushering in the Christian Dark Ages". I had to bite my tongue to avoid saying anything.

But the Dark Ages refers to Western Europe not Byzantium.

No, it refers to Europe and Byzantium was in Europe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)
>The "Dark Ages" is a historical period traditionally referring to the Middle Ages, that asserts that a demographic, cultural, and economic deterioration occurred in Western Europe following the decline of the Roman Empire.[1][2]
>a demographic, cultural, and economic deterioration occurred in Western Europe following the decline of the Roman Empire.[1][2]
>occurred in Western Europe
>Western Europe

They were "Dark Ages" until the late 1000s not because of Christianity but because the migrations of Slavs and Nomads ended and Many Pagan Kingdom such as the Norse embrace Christianity.With the convertion to Christianity the Pagan Norse kingdoms adopted Roman Law and became feudal rather then tribal .On the other hand similar situation happened to the Eastern Roman Empire(they were more advanced yea) however they fought the Bulgarians and other south Slavs by the end of 1015 the Roman Empire was able to destroy the Bulgarian Tsardom and there was a period of stability and progress until 1071.After that I think you know the story about the crusades and stuff but yea European "dark ages" ended when all the European kingdom Romanized with the help of Christianity

It's an anglo centric term because after the Romans left Britain the filthy Anglos didn't bother learning how to read and write until the Irish painstakingly taught them that.

Most historians use either Migration Period or medieval to describe the time in question.