Saint George

Where does the myth of Saint George killing a dragon comes from?
Is it of pagan origins? how much of saint George is pagan?

Other urls found in this thread:

nectar.northampton.ac.uk/4082/8/Mackley20114082.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armazi_(god)
youtu.be/O0c1xFDMHdA
youtube.com/watch?v=la6ROCNOGY8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck you Veeky Forums, answer my question

Academics please respond

Google man
He was supppused to be a Roman soldier persecuted for being Christian
He was taken as a patron saint AFTER the third crusade so could not be pagan

I'm not saying that he was not Christian, I'm saying that he might have been merged with a non-Christian deity or a hero, obviously he didn't actually kill a dragon, the myth sounds pagan, it might not have been part of his original image.

Thanks for responding anyway

>dragons are pagan
I guess Christianity is pagan because monotheism is first recorded in pagan societies
Also Hercules is in Japan

>obviously he didn't actually kill a dragon

Dragons are holy in Judiasm. Christians started persecuting jews, so they wanted to symbolize this and their inhumanity with a 'saint'.

But the earliest evidence for Saint George is from Georgia and Cappadocia, where Jews weren't persecuted.

some nigger killed a crocodile and superstitious peasants spread the legend around

They were conquered by muslims in the past and the jews were blamed. Which eventually lead to their revolt and then annexation by the mongols/.

Dragons are in the Bible.

How is annexation by mongols related to Jews? you are making shit up

Yeah, but that is not the only thing that makes me think that it's pagan, if Jesus was killing dragons then yes, most martyrs in Christianity are just victims of torture, not warriors.

proofs?

I found this paper
nectar.northampton.ac.uk/4082/8/Mackley20114082.pdf

What do you guys think?

God, this site has become like a recurring nightmare. Every fucking frog and feels poster gets the most replies. Giving attention to the cancer that killed this site is an effective way to put the nail in the coffin. And you hive mind newfags take the bait every time.

And no I didn't read what it said. Which is what you should all do seeing people continue to post the two stalest lamest memes of all time

Satan is called a great red dragon in Revelation.

George killing the dragon is an overtly Christian symbol, representing the triumph over evil, which makes sense because George was a minor figure who was appropriated and mythologized by a fraternity of pious warriors who where less interested in historical accuracy and more in symbolism.

Marduk slaying Tiamat is a possible origin of this myth. Or it could be parallel thinking. There is something resonant in the West about the slaying of the primordial serpent.

There's also the much more familiar story of Siegfried slaying Fafnir.

Are there any similar myths around Caucasus/anatolia area?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armazi_(god)

>Is it of pagan origins?
Quite the contrary
Dragon is a representation of Paganism, killing a dragon mean killing paganism, a lot of Saints killed dragons

Princess and the Dragon (Because George rescues a princess too, that part is important) is a pretty old motif and it predates George by a bit. Perseus is a quintessential example of it, although Heracles has quite a few stories like that. Plenty of other heroes killed dragons without rescuing princesses. Killing monsters was pretty integral part of a hero's job.

Dragon slaying is a very common theme amongst Indo-European people and those cultures they (in)directly influenced. You can find examples in Germanic mythology with Sigurd, Hellenic with the Heracles and Indo-Aryan Indra.

youtu.be/O0c1xFDMHdA

youtu.be/O0c1xFDMHdA

The myth of Saint George and the Dragon represents the English invasion of Wales.

Here's more about the symbolism: youtube.com/watch?v=la6ROCNOGY8

Dragons are biblical symbolism for demons and the devil. Satan himself is symbolised by a dragon in the book of revelations.

I could kill that dragon too

It seems to me that the image of the knight/warrior killing the dragon is an archetype that comes across in all cultures.

>In Pharaonic mythology, the god Set or Setekh murdered his brother Osiris. Horus (Heru), the son of Osiris, avenged his father's death by killing Setekh. Modern-day researchers interpret a late antique Coptic stone fenestrella of mounted hawk-headed figure fighting a crocodile, as Horus killing a metamorphorsed Set, and have considered this scene ancestral to later iconography of George killing a dragon.

other examples I can think of right now are Siegfried in the Nibelungenlied killing the dragon and Marduk killing Tiamat

Beowulf

But England was a white dragon

>thinks St. George legend originates in England

By that period Saxons went in power.

Yes, and the Britons were a red dragon. Still are, in fact. From "Y Mabinogi"
>As Vortigern, King of the Britons, sat upon a rock with Merlin near the pool, the two dragons, one red and one white, awoke and breathing fire began fighting fiercely. First the red dragon was winning then the white dragon gained more power and overcame the red one. Vortigern asked Merlin to tell him what was the meaning of the fighting dragons.
>Tears issued forth from Merlin as he explained that the red dragon is Briton and will be destroyed by the white dragon, which is the Saxons. Vortigern had invited the Saxons to live in the land and help him defeat Briton's royalty. Merlin told Vortigern that the mountains, valley and plains of the Island of Briton will flow with blood under the oppression of the Saxons.

>what is Google
>do my homework Veeky Forums