Is flat bench the most overrated exercise ever? It is nowhere near the best chest exercise for hypertrophy

Is flat bench the most overrated exercise ever? It is nowhere near the best chest exercise for hypertrophy.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k7TIUMm8uQQ
t-nation.com/training/inside-the-muscles-best-chest-and-triceps-exercises
suppversity.blogspot.com.br/2011/07/suppversity-emg-series-musculus.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So, you are a faggot.

Related, I have juicy triceps but a shit chest. How to stop hitting tris so much?

wider grip

Go away squatting faggot

I'm 6'7" with fairly broad shoulders. Any wider and I always get nervous about pinching my fingers.

The powerlifting wide grip arched bench is a feat of beauty tho

yes

no

Nothing says beauty like a quarter inch range of motion.

LETS GET THIS STARTED BOYS
>hypertrophy
lmao, go do endless dumbbell chest presses you retarded faggot.

Real men bench close grip

youtube.com/watch?v=k7TIUMm8uQQ

ass not on binch kek

in what kinda shitty competition is 147kg bench anywhere near competitive level lmao
i bench more weight weekly without some faggot spotter and more than 1/3 rom

Do powerlifting meets seriously count an attempt where the ass goes off the bench?

>If his arms gave out he would die.
This is the reason i don't do shit like that.

the overall best is either flat barbell bench, flat dumbbell bench or weighted dips. in my experience they're all enough on their own but barbell bench press is the easiest to progress on/add weight
but the best thing to do is a flat/decline + incline combination or a combination of those 3. anyone who disagrees is too fat to see muscle fibers in his chest

Thats the shit what will give you adrenalin shots like hell because you know if he fails he will die
a real man

>real men take boatloads of steroids
Get that lolfed bullshit outta here

I'm pretty mediocre.

There are three people watch to see if my ass leaves the bench. They all agree it doesn't. The centre ref doesn't think I followed his commands though and gives me a red.

there are multiple studies that show flat bench press stimulates the most chest fibers out of any other excercise. Search.

link

Well if your ass is not off the bench, you have a huge bubble-butt - congrats.

>There are three people watch to see if my ass leaves the bench.
the beautiful sport of powerlifting summed up in one sentence
>The centre ref doesn't think I followed his commands though and gives me a red.
he probably wanted you to stop posting on Veeky Forums

>Utilization of remaining air in toilet in case of fire.
Because, if you're going to get roasted painfully in a fire - might as well spend your last minute alive inhaling sewage.

>M-muh compound exercises!!!
Veeky Forums is full of idiots who fell for the SS meme, you don't need to deadlift/bench/squat for aesthetics.

switch to dumbbells and do more cable crossovers

Bench fucking wrecks my shoulders for some reason. There's no pain but it feels like I'm a few steps away from snap city. Form is ok. Even if I go very light I can still feel some discomfort.

I swapped to weighted dips(no meme pls) and shoulders are getting better slowly. Dips will probably tax your triceps more, but I can still feel it in my pecs a lot.

On my push day I just do OHP, weighted dips, and flies + some lateral delt and tricep accesories.

You'll have to get a wider bench. Most benches are made for sub 6'5 manlets.

>three referees watching my ass.
Truly the sport of real men.

burden of proof is on you brah

>you don't need to do deadlift/bench/squat

Brother what exercises DO you do?

>how much do you bench?
>err I don't bench it's bad for the shoulders

imagine being that faggot

>yfw you hit your PR, but only do it by half repping

>When do you do back/biceps day?
>I don't, I do SS

Imagine being that faggot

If someone think I'm a faggot because I don't bench...well...why should I really care ?
It's not like I'm gonna fuck up my shoulders more to impress someone.

It makes you high

kek

Yes. Your main pressing movement should be the OHP instead of bench, from a functional strength, aesthetics and shoulder health standpoint, it's a much better exercise. Big pecs are overrated imo, but if you want them, then do weighted dips and chest isolations, your pecs will get hit much better.

>bench press is bad for the shoulders lads

>recommends fucking dips

Chest isos as in just fly variations?
I really do want big pecs.
I never do dips but if you say they work then I'll hit em hard.

Those types of studies are notoriously shitty.
That said, chest insertions can be whacky, so the best for hypertrophy for person A won't necessarily apply to person B.

Or maybe just remove water

Yeah pretty much. So-called 'compound' movements are absolutely useless for mass. I recommend flyes, incline flyes and cable flyes (all 10*10) for chest day.

Yes, different fly variations. I think cable and band flyes are far superior to dumbbells, because you get resistance on the top of the movement, where your chest is squeezed the most, so consider that also. And be careful with the dips, they require a certain degree of shoulder flexibility. If you don't have it, you're going to snap your shit up, in that case it's better to do wide grip pause bench. But if you can do them without pain, then they're a great exercise.

Cool, thanks buddy.
I had a pretty shitty chest because all I did was pressing movements.
I watched one of scooby's videos and he said to have an equal amount of squeezing exercises (flys) to pressing exercises (dumbell flat bench).
It improved my chest quite a bit but it's not enough.
I'll do more cable flys for sure.
My shoulders are good to go for dips but I'll dl wide pause bench as well.
Having and maintaining a big chest is a personal goal for me.
Thanks for the advice.

Incline + dips. Regular bench press sucks ass for building an aesthetic chest.

isley your bench in comparison to the time you've spent lifting is pathetic, if you really feel like you have to celebrate your barely above 3 plate bench on a mongolian pottery forum u are almost as pathetic as ur bench

Seeing as I'm trying to move towards a more weightlifting centered training routine, I'm removing bench from my routine for the most part in order to ensure shoulder mobility.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>fat girl in the back yawning

Who knows! I get a better feel when doing incline.

Powerlifting is boring as hell

Dips fuck up my shoulder way worse than bench ever has

420 jenk addicted

What about decline bench press? Does that press or the incline press build inner chest muscles?

you are a cable fag

if you cared about beauty you should have gone olympic lifting

Some one posted a link a long time ago that showed decline actually activated the most

The peak contraction in dumbbell flies has been proven to be higher than the peak contraction in cable flies.

EMG studies are shit.

Yep.
t-nation.com/training/inside-the-muscles-best-chest-and-triceps-exercises
suppversity.blogspot.com.br/2011/07/suppversity-emg-series-musculus.html

EMG studies on their own aren't useful unless you take into account range of motion and all the other little factors that make an exercise good, like ease of progression, how difficult it is to do high or low reps, etc.

>has poor form
>"it's the lift's fault!"

>Using tripfriend pasta on Veeky Forums

How to spot the newfag

>powerlifting competition where a competitor lifts less than what you would see at an average gym

damn dude if you're doing that at a competitive level i hope you don't weight more than 150 lbs

Fuck flat bench.
I hurt my shoulder doing flat bench back in early June, and it still hurts. Fucking meme exercise if I've ever seen one.

trip on izlee

Lmao it's your fault your shoulder got fucked up dumb ass

I believe in you isley
Tfw bench 85 kg

My max on bench is 185lbs
How good is that for someone who's been lifting for 7 months?
I'm 5'10 146lbs

Dips don't hurt my shoulders at all. Flat bench kills them. (Different guy)

fuck bench i just do bodyweight for chestickles for 2 years now, still do my squats and deads tho
so happy ditched bench

not great but not bad. keep it up user.

It only matters to gay men.

thanks mutant

>5'10

why even bother. bulk to 350 like the rest of ur depressed manlet brethren

Very spooky stats, user.

Thanks
And ya I know but I started at 137 and 95lbs on bench so I think I've made decent progress Ima start lean bulking this winter hopefully hit 2 pl8 bench press when I'm 155-160

My form is fine, I just have shoulder issues, nice projection

That's why you do db once a week and bb once a week.
I bench 330 and throw around 110-115s even with a fucked up shoulder

>all these people hating on Islet's poverty bench

It may be mediocre, but go to the gym, max out your bench. When you get to the bottom don't just press, pause and count to 2 in your head. Then press. I hope you remembered to ask someone to spot you.

Look at this unrivalled specimen and tell me you don't see beauty.

Isley actually looked really good when he was a 93. Then he jumped to 105 far too quickly.

how tall is isley? looks thick as fuark

Sure is better than being fucking dead.

tfw you thought lifting for strength does not build good physiques and now you see this
fuark

I fucking hate bench. Yesterday tried 82,5kg first set 4 reps went fine but failed the last rep. I tried to dump the weight but the bench was too low so the bar just got stuck. Luckily some dude helped me out.
What can I do to improve my bench? Or what can I do to get a bigger chest?

What the fuck is this, amateur hour? Take a hike bro.

leave isley alone

get a spotter

Gym is often empty or just old people.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

hot damn what a beefcake

Jesus

It took nearly a year

I think most opticians do a free eye test, you should look into it

6'0 104kg

ty

Jesus Christ a fucking year? I thought you did it in like 6 months. You've inspired me to take 18 months to hit 105.

I've tried wider grip , but I usually just feel my shoulders sore.

Actually asking someone when they do back/biceps day sounds like the most autistic shit ever.