How many people here were unathletic as an youth. What do you think the reason was?

How many people here were unathletic as an youth. What do you think the reason was?

me

the reason was I didn't enjoy/do any sports.

Lived in a rural area five miles away from my closest friend.

I had to wait until I learned to drive to go to friend's houses.

vidya games

Sports were so fucking boring, I couldn't stand them I just wanted to go home every time I played.

was really athletic in my youth. black belt in tae kwon do, boxing, running. had a really bad break up in high school which caused me to lose a lot of my friends and get depressed and NEET-y. stopped working out, got fat.

got back into it senior year and now im good again.

Runescape

I tried out for local football team and during the first training session machine gun farted during sprint drills and got laughed off the field and thats when I think I became a shut in.

Was a scrawny asthmatic kid, and didn't like competition, or people.
Perfect cocktail for a loser.

Lol, I played hockey my entire life. I feel bad for kids whose parents never encouraged sports or any sort of competition

Athletic youth
>healthy sense of competition
>learn that you will not always be a winner and that you have to work hard if you want to win
>learn how to interact with people you don't like
>learn how to work as a team
>source of friends outside of school
>learn that physical pain isn't the end of the world

Shut in youth
>sickly and frail
>have things handed to you
>less likely to work well in a team or group
>less friends to hang out with
>"participation trophy" kids
>never learn what it's like to work hard at something and accomplish goals

I hated sports and with my friends (high school) we always thought sports are for dumb and vain people. As well as healthy food.

Fuck I was a fucking childish retard. Glad I grew up from that. I wish my friends did too. Several months ago I went out with them and told them I go to gym and run and box and stuff, and one of them told me he thinks that people who go to gym are just really stupid and shallow. He's also NEET and 23yo virgin.

Parent didnt let me. Still feel fucking rage every time I think back to when I was in track and hanging with the team and then my mom sent my sister to tell me hurry up so she can go home because its already getting dark (~6pm). Dad also didnt want me to get hurt since I worse glasses so he suggested I stick to school.

I always had a feeling I wouldve been great at baseball seeing now that my squats overpower all of my other lifts.

I was a chad in elementary school.Played football, basketball, baseball and soccer and was good at them all. now I play d3 soccer (lower level college soccer for you foreigners)

computers

music

i'm not a team player and most of the activities available were team sports and i had no one to do single player type activity's with

Dude, that fucking blows. If you're in college join some intermural leagues

Runescape and CS 1.6

Me. Being the only Asian kid in a white school meant no one wanted me around.

I tried actually

Weighed 225 at 14
Dad bought a weight set in the garage, probably 225lb total weight, one of those spin lock set.. All i did at 14 was curls and bench, haahahaha

ended up fucking my back from benching 145-55lb ont sure what happened, but low back was tweaked, put those weights away until i was 21 and ended up getting in the best shape of my life, i was 215 and 6'2 but lean as fuck and looked good, im 29 now, and feel like shit at 300lb

Same never did well in large groups

that's a hell of an assumption

I was diagnosed with asthma and celiac disease as a teen

I was also on diagnosed gifted as a kid and everyone reinforced the idea that I should focus on "intellectual pursuits" and become a numale

Was pretty good at baseball though

I was tall, fast and energetic. So I was decent at sports until middle school, when I started playing Halo.

Part lack of interest, part poor /uneducated upbringing.

I didnt learn or acknowledge until my mid 20s that you could change your body. I was in the "lol it's genetics" camp until I met the right people and started learning about fitness.

I still have a few health issues that keep me from making it, but I'm 100% better than I used to be. (cut from 220 to 150, started lifting, now up to 170)

My dad made me do heaps of sports and I sucked at all of them because I didn't try.
Does anyone else here think the child version of themselves was a fucking idiot and basically not the same person as you?

>Didnt play sports cuz bad at them
>Wasnt good at sports cuz didnt play
Neverending cycle

Good quads m80

Lived with parents who recommended I do football but never wanted to

Saw an SNL skit where Seth Myers makes a joke like "Glee just got renewed for its second season! says your son who can't catch a spiral"

Thought that this was me, a disappointment

Go for football for three years, terrible, and I hated it and almost everyone one it

Go out for cross Country and Track, excel and become captain of both senior year of HS, was fat as fatass as a kid so pounds melted away.

XC and track were the best choices of my life, I hang out with my old coaches a lot casually, party with them too. They helped me land a sweet job in a hospital and now I work a 20k a year job at nineteen. Feels good man, thanks John and Jess

I hated competitive team sports cause my mom raised me to be a bitch who thought
>B-BUT WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???

Needless to say, I didn't have the competitive mindset and was not aggressive in the slightest.

Stuck to distance running cause you just stick to yourself and fucking run.

Didn't help in the slightest with weightlifting which is now my main physical focus. But fuck it.

Played a couple years of soccer in grade school. Lost interest. Confidence was shit throughout jr high and high school and I subtlety employed the "too intelligent to lift/play sports" meme even though it just made me socially retarded and kept me skinny and unathletic as fuck.

I got into lifting at the end of college and been at it for a while now. Surpassed all my friends in terms of fitness but I'm still not really into team sports though. Don't know if it's because I still lack confidence or I'd rather just be by myself. Little bit of both.

I'm a bit jealous seeing everybody have a blast playing basketball though, it's really popular at my gym and with my friends.

>I'm a little bit jealous seeing everybody have a blast playing basketball though.

This so much. I wish I could enjoy the simple satisfaction of watching sports and playing sports casually.

But no. The only ways I have fun are playing vidya, playing vidya with friends, and lifting heavy weights with or without lifting pals.

Genetics and u didnt play sports.

Eh, I was a chubby asian marshmellow in middle school and I wanted to make a change, did track in 8th grade and that made me lose alot of fat and I also started working out mid december in 8th grade so I was a slim beefy fast ass asian. In highschool, I started football in my freshmen year and I kept that going forever and same with swim. But my main downside I have with sports is that it always triggers my anxiety whether if its practice or the actual game meet. Which sucked.

I started in the second case, trained really hard to catch up to be the first case at ~20 and ended up playing starting in the grand final in my state's div 1 rugby last year

it's a good feel

god I wish I wasn't such a pathetic kid

i never really had an interest in it, my parents didn't cared more about my education than me doing sports, plus my mom is a dank cook
>tfw I would do my homework while eating pan dulce and drinking milk
>if only I had lifted I could have made the dirty bulk of a lifetime

Real athletic until I was 12. Basketball, Softball, Football, Rugby, Long distance running.

Then I be came a pussy when a big black guy told me not to try out for next years team

>I found solace in video games
>I was a pussy

>get quads
>no one gives a shit

You've somehow managed to be a loser online as well.

You can learn al those athletic things from gaming, yes even the physical pain part

>Parents forces sports on me from 10-17
>Turned down d3 wrestling scholorship
>NEET life was cool for the first 2years
>Fucking loser now along with no discounted college
At least I'm not at some Liberal day care r right guys.

And not all blacks people are criminals either, but stereotypes exist for a reason

Carpel tunnel doesn't count

I was a little bitch nerd pseudo intellectual

I blame my divorced parents naturally

>the reason was I didn't enjoy/do any sports.

Pretty much this. The only two "sports" i ever enjoyed doing were dodgeball and kickball, both of which we stopped doing in elementary school.

After that because i was in boston public schools, PE became basketball class, and i had no part in it.

I really wish dodgeball was actually played at a high level

that shit is fun

FUck threads like this always make me grateful that my parents forced me to do sports when I was real young and I eventually grew to love and play through senior year.
I feel like it's really helped me out in the long run

Cuz I was 5'6" and 220 lbs at 12 and had high est, like really high est.

I was bullied a lot and had very little motivation to do anything. I didn't focus on my work, social life, or anything really, which is how I ended up like this. Now that I'm around better people who aren't complete assholes I feel more motivated to do things again.

Pretty much what many anons are saying.

Didnt enjoy them, never really got into them. Used to be made fun of for having chicken legs.

F-fuck those guys.

Started to get into skateboarding in hs, skateboarded everyday with the homies, gave me huge calves. Got into running, swimming, ruck marching, lifting more recently in college.

I was a skinnyfat skeleton nerd untill 19.

My dad forced me to do sports I didn't like with people I didn't like in early adolescence. Soccer, hockey and stuff like that. It never went anywhere obviously.

It was probably a right thing to do and try to get me to interact with people my age, but it didn't work out like planned and I think it actually did more harm than good.

It was at that time I developed a huge complex towards any kind of group activity or any kind of authority figure telling me what to do.

I was 19 when I moved out and decided that I need to do something, so I started jogging. It has been 7 years since and these days I cycle like a mad man and lift ocasionally.

Still can't and don't even want to play any team sports, ball sports and the like. I have given basketball a try, but I suck at it so bad that everyone basically laughs at me for sucking, because they assume I have motor skills for things like that because I'm reasonably fit. I also have a compex on people laughing at my shortcomings, because I'm extremely insecure and have been depressed for 14 years. So whenever that happens I basically just shut down and want to go home.

Did your dad also call you a failure and say you needed to improve your life constantly?

MY nigga, i was fucking MVP back in the day. Like literally huddling in the back on plays of what to do

I remember this one game winning play we did, i told this kid to make himself the main target. my bro took a hit to his stomach while i was behind him, yelled "NOW" and he fell to the ground while i jumped over him max payne style, got that fucker in his mouth. Only time in my life people cheered for me

i miss it

more like Run escape from your life
hated sports, got discouraged from them by others too, guys that did them in school were massive dick heads
I liked karate though and anything not team based, always wanted to get into lifting

Parents sort of forced me into playing soccer and Ive always been shit at running (born prematurely so lungs are shit). I did karate but that wasn't very physically intensive. Plus I fell in love with computers and vidja games pretty early on.

i was athletic as a youf. now im a stick

I played sports until highschool, where people became really competitive... I just wanted to run around, have fun, and get better

I thought that being athletic was something that dumbass "meatheads" would do, so I just stopped doing them and focused on other things. I didn't identify with the hypermasculine broculture of sports.

After I left highschool, decided that I can lift for self improvement and health

>healthy sense of competition
>earn that you will not always be a winner and that you have to work hard if you want to win
>learn how to interact with people you don't like

This is exactly what the athletic youth DOESN'T do, and it's the reason I quit sports until later in life. The high school sports culture is pretty toxic.

I lived in a desert shithole.
Try playing any sport at 100+ degrees

the main reason is that my state isn't really known for good college sports, so I think schools don't bother investing in proper physical education

Also

>My parents never really encouraged me
>Playing casually was never fulfilling and playing competitively wasn't sastifying
>It's hard for me to keep a cool head under threat of physical harm
>The coaches at my school never thought I would be any good
>the guys on every sports team were stupid dickheads, literally every single one of them
>the coaches were all trash
>PE teachers from Middle School through High School could give two shits about their students' physical development.
>too busy playing video games, fapping, dating, and focusing on schoolwork to give a shit

Holy quadzz boi

I never played a single sport in my life, stayed inside 24/7 and played vidya and got fat all day.
>dad doesn't like sports
>mom doesn't like sports
>poor family
>parents dont do much besides drink

I had no reason to be Veeky Forums at all.

As cliche as it is, I got redpilled watching Zyzz videos in 2013 and began my fitness adventure.

inspo
Check em

Depression and internet/video game addiction.

Trying hard to fix it, I hate how much better my life would be had I been fit and active in my younger years.

me

the reason was I was clumsy for rapid growth so everyone considered me a loser in general.

why would you play team sports with people who dont like you being there?

I only did swimming, though I had to stop because of all the infections in the water. I wonder how is it now.

>try playing any sport at 100+ degrees

How about you try playing sports in indoor areas which your 'desert shithole' most likely had.

Wrong...

Started in my juniot year but never got to compete along with all the other non-all star kids in the team but I mainly stayed for the excersize in hopes that it would fix my uneven cheeks

Pretty much this

I could say vidya but Runescape didn't leave room for much else

Basketball?

played rugby and basketball every year at school desu

only really developed a competitive drive after school which is a bit annoying.

I'm a stubborn git, and my family forced me to do sports so I hated it. I still dislike team sports, it's a huge reason why I like lifting so much.

It's just me and the weight. In our own little universe, isolated from the world for a moment. Sublime.

me

I still used to play sports, but sucked balls at them.

The reason was that I was a fatty, so I was nowhere near the amount of athleticism required to actually do well or enjoy this whole thing.

For some reason I always kept at it though. I guess it is a good thing, since now that I have lost the weight I kind of have alpha genetics and am high test. Exercising as a boy/teenager is really important, I guess.

I do regret not having become Veeky Forums earlier though. Nowadays I can beat most people in pick up games of e.g. basketball, but I would absolutely love it to be in a legit sport team, like for example in rugby. I am now 26 years old, have a job which requires me to work 55 hours a week and all teams in my area are for advanced players only though; so I guess that boat has sailed for me. If anyone young enough is reading this, don't let it happen to you.

/blogpost.

I was fat and this:

WITNESSING

least you got those sweet quads bro

Arizona just got triggered

Thick Of It is GOAT

I was unathletic as a kid because I had this fucked up anorexic phase where I hated eating and it was physically difficult to swallow food. I guess I'm a bit better now, but it's still difficult for me to get food down my throat.

I was a fat kid

i fell for the it's cool to be a nerd meme

now im joining the armt to become a mechanical engineer and close to A S T H E T I C S

I was pigeonholed as the artist. Everyone knew me as that guy so I didn't feel the need to excel in other things.

Me

Severe and chronic depression preventing me from having any drive to do anything and using soda as a crutch to deal with stress. The fact that I didn't really develop any sort of hand eye coordination until my late teens certainly didn't help matters.

Doesn't really matter now though, I figured it out

i was a fat kid. no one in my family enjoyed doing sports. my dad was/is in shape but is the type of guy who thinks this should come naturally and without concious effort. i just liked eating a lot and playing vidya so i never really moved around a lot. when i saw the aftermath of this lifestyle i started getting Veeky Forums as a teen. my dad said some bullshit about how even if i didn't lift or exercise i would have still wound up looking good because of hurr good genetics.

Couldn't u go by bicycle?
Lazy fuck

I was a tiny kid and my brother, two years my senior, has always been huge. So I was a tiny kid hanging with my brother and his friends, I had no chance at winning anything ever. And that was no fun.
Didn't help that I wanted to play with swords, not play sports.
Today I do HEMA and lift.

Lol'd hard

Indoor sports are the Smith machines of exercise.

I was lazy and fat

>asthma
>bronchitis
>all types of animal/plant allergies
>shyness

As puberty started all of that got cured. But i sucked at every team sport since i lacked 10 years of practise all other kids have had,

>lifting is all i have left

I got bullied relentlessly at school, at 15 I was 5' 4", about 7 stone in weight, terrible at everything, never stood up for myself and always had a habit of making shit up or saying stupid attention seeking things that always backfired and made me look weird.

My mother was big into fairies and ghosts and all that shit, she put that sort of stuff into my head and I'd go off to school spouting that shit all day long which obviously didn't help, she thought it was great how cute and sweet I was, how great it was that I didn't 'conform' with all the other kids at school and what a precious snowflake I was, she couldn't understand why the school had to move my classes 3 times in under a year because I was literally being hunted down during break time by groups of people.

My mother miscarried a couple years before I was born, I was the replacement, the worst thing was that I was repeatedly told not to fight back, and to report it to the teachers instead, this just made everything 1000X worse.

I have a friend that always goes on about how school was the best time of his life, always re-telling stories over and over again, I had my nose broken several times, my coccyx shattered, permanent scars on my right hand and my knee, I used to get dumped in bins in front of sometimes hundreds of people, even teachers wouldn't help me for fear of pupils turning on them.

one time someone printed my full name and a rumour about me fancying a girl in another year, which was made up completely, they then printed out 200 copies, except the printer was connected to a local network in the IT department, which means half the printers in the school printed out 200 copies each, I spent the whole day running around desperately trying to collect as many as I could, it was so bad, even some people that used to bully me came out and helped, the teachers did nothing, they had to close down the athletics field for a day just to get rid of all the paper.

Fuck school.

subtlety employed the "too intelligent to lift/play sports" meme

Employing memes.....

>not knowing how to greentext

This was also like 10 years ago. The meme didn't exist yet but I realize now that I was kind of doing it

This
Always wanted to do martial arts but my parents insisted that they are too dangerous and instead forced me to do shit that was boring and I sucked at.

Also went to the gym for a few month but without the basic understanding of training and nutrition I basically fucked around and of course stopped after a little while.

If only I knew how easy all this shit is.

Never listen to your parents on stuff they have no experience with

My inability to control myself around pizza rolls probably.

oh yeah who could walk/jog for 30 minutes when they were younger

>be skinny manlet during grade school
>older brother already the "designated" athletic in the family
>have identity crisis because young and dumb
>parents never encouraged
>also mildly autistic or anti-social or shy
>suddenly growth spurt during high school years
>user why don't you play basketball?
>nobody bothered to teach me
>tried it once, passed to opponents, they all laughed at me
>can't dribble
>feel shame and outcast
>discover vidya
>get hooked on it
>can't stop thinking about it everyday
>disregard females (still affects me to this day and can't tell if girls like me or not)
>get addicted to vidya
>ruin promising academic career in college because of faggot enabler friends and weak will power

I wish I discovered lifting earlier in life or rather didn't stop when I moved to a different city.

i were unathletic

the reason was lack of support, i was too young to understand that things can get done with dedication and INFORMATION

now that im an adult i can collect what is true and apply to myself, as a teenager that's impossible

>Caring for your physical health means you're shallow and stupid
You need to end that friendship right now

The only sports available to me were football and basketball. I would have been the shortest guy on the basketball team and football bores the hell out of me. When I was a senior I picked up mma and have been doing that ever since. If we had wrestling I would have done the shit out of that.

great thread :')