Pre-enlightenment dinosaurs

Ok anons. Before some idiot has a sperg fit. Let's take it as read that dinosaurs exist and they died out* 65 million years ago. No they didn't co-exist with man either.

Ok?

Right so what did cultures who found dinosaurs bones or preserved skeletons think of them? What did they do with them? Was it all just "Oh cool a dragon"? The Romans for example mined extensively and must've had some interesting notions about what they found. Please share what you know.

Other urls found in this thread:

scienceworld.ca/blog/what-did-people-think-when-first-dinosaur-fossils-were-discovered
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilisk#/media/File:Wenceslas_Hollar_-_The_basilisk_and_the_weasel.jpg
cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150717012051-zhenyuanlong-illustration-super-169.jpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I suppose I'm asking about pre-scientific paleontolgy if such a thing exists.

*also yes we still have crocodiles and birds are indeed a thing.

Why arent they protecting the neck?

Some of them thought it was giants i guess
scienceworld.ca/blog/what-did-people-think-when-first-dinosaur-fossils-were-discovered

It's an armour played dinosaur drawn by an autist man. Who knows. Let's try another. What do you see in this picture?

>Was it all just "Oh cool a dragon"?
Isn't it how Dragons came to be?

I'm more interested about stories like St George. "Oh, look! Huge skeleton! I guess I go to the nearest village and brag how I killed a giant monster!"

Birds are by definition dinosaurs. Crocodillians are a cousin.

lmao I bet this is what actually happened

>What do you see in this picture?
>
>

>Was it all just "Oh cool a dragon"?
Basically. The idea of a species going extinct didn't really exist, so if they found bones they would just assume it was from some crazyass beastie they'd never seen.

they also though
"Oh cool a giant"

>by definition
bit wrong mate

When Jefferson sent Lewis and Clark into Louisiana, he warned them to watch out for giant sloths, iguanadons, and any Native civilization that was Aztec- or Maya-tier in development. And apparently, these kind of fears were normal.

Source: "War on the Run" by John F. Ross, page 9

They best protect the neck!

>Native civilization that was Aztec- or Maya-tier in development. And apparently, these kind of fears were normal
Really not that absurd as a fear, desu. Going into an Inca or Aztec-tier civ unprepared would be dangerous.

>Inb4 "It worked for Pizarro and Cortez!"

They went in with the express purpose of conquering the Incas and Aztecs.

indeed

Right, I just thought the giant sloths and iganadons part was interesting.

In similar cases they though they were mytical creatures, like psittacosaurus with griffins, mammooths skulls with cyclops, chinks with dragons, etc.

It's far more likely dinosaurs never existed at all or that dragons are dinosaurs and that man coexisted with them for a while.

Search your heart. You know it to be true. Even modern feathered dinosaur reconstructions look exactly like medieval engravings of cockatrices etc.

Example:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilisk#/media/File:Wenceslas_Hollar_-_The_basilisk_and_the_weasel.jpg

cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150717012051-zhenyuanlong-illustration-super-169.jpg

It's the same damn thing. So either we're getting trolled, meaning that dinosaurs (and dragons) never existed and are pure fiction, or that there's something being hidden from us. Meaning, that these creatures died out recently.

Or, time is a closed circle and we've been repeating the same loop forever, and the human mind constantly draws and imagines the same things over and over.

There is such possibility without all that mystical bullshit: That there were scarce pockets with some dinosaurs on a brink of extinction, finished off by human expansion. We never found their remains, because of how few of them there were.

All the dinosaur-like mythical creatures are most likely from discovering skeletons and little else.

The discovery of Mammoth skulls is speculated to be the origin of the Cyclops myth.
At work right now, so I can't post images, but just Google "Mammoth skulls" and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Looks like the head of a giant with one eye.

there shouldn't be a gap between the thighs there. artist fucked up

>What did they do with them?
They probably ground them up and used them as glue, additives in building materials, fertilizer, or medicinal concoctions.

I've heard a theory that dragons are a manifestation of the concept of a predator in the human brain. The argument is that dragons incorporate features of 3 main types of predators that would have fucked up our tiny ancestors, namely mammalian carnivores (lions, wolves, etc.), snakes, and raptors. This would explain why dragons are depicted as flying creatures despite dinosaur skeletons not having wings. I'm not sure how accurate or valid it is, but it's a pretty interesting psychological approach.

>t. fat roastie

> t. low test beta faggot

I'm not OP. Thanks for the contributions though.
>Consider what follows--
When I was a child I read a book called Scientists. In it the nascent life of paleontology was discussed as a section. This small book proposed early diggers used the bones for shelter.
>I hope this is accurate.

They're classified as avian dinosaurs. Birds are literally living theropods.

I always thought this was a cool idea. Your brain has made up an archetypal ultimate predator and you're inherently scared of anything that resembles it.

>avian dinosaurs
does that make this a non-avian
avian dinosaur?

It's an avian dinosaur, it just can't fly. If it had a tail, arms and probably teeth, it would be a non-avian dinosaur.

dinosaurs were birds sweety, get over it ;)

Whenever I see this I think the top dinosaur should be going
>CHEEP

Did you hear that T-Rex voive reconstruction? It's more BWOOOOOOM according to their guess.

www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/12/09/sinister-sound-tyrannosaurus-rex-heard-first-time-66-million/

>WAKE ME UP INSIDE