Any of you who have shoulder pain bench pressing tried using these memes?

Any of you who have shoulder pain bench pressing tried using these memes?

Supposedly you could use a neutral grip like on a swiss bar which would be easier on the shoulders.

That looks extremely unstable and dangerous

I do all my bench work with spotter arms

I'd love to see some heavy bench press reps with them to see if they work

if you bench/setup correctly you shouldn't get any shoulder pain, unless your shoulders are actually injured

>RETRACT THE FUCKIN' SCAPULA

I've tried all the form cues, still get shoulder pain. Elbows tucked, flared, back arched, glutes tightened, scapula retracted, shoulders flat on bench, touching at various points, etc

Not really interested in your novice advice.

Shoulder pain from bench means that you either have shitty form or your grip is too wide.

This is product isn't going to do anything other than make you look retarded.

oh lord the form kids are here

peace I'm out

>Not really interested in your novice advice.

>dude legit trying to be helpful
>OP gets butthurt immediately

Consider this though:
Bench is just a shitty lift. Perhaps it's not for you. Legit, some industry experts (who still bench because let's get real, we all do it anyway) advise that bench isn't about IF you get an injury, it's WHEN. It's just bound to happen.

Thanks Arnold.

OH NOOOO POOR US.

Half fun in snap city.

lol

Feel free to try your memeball though. It surely will not fuck you up even more.

Have shoulder pain when i do dips, is this common?

>Bench is just a shitty lift
I don't get any pain benching when using dumbbells with a hammer grip.

>It surely will not fuck you up even more.
I don't see any reason why

>form is retarded just twist to the left when you deadlift then quickly twist to the right form is a meme hehe xd

>he fell for the dip meme

im so sorry

>Why are people telling me to fix my form instead of buying meme balls that 100% of non retarded people don't use and bench just fine without pain?

I mean its a pretty good tricep iso exercise...

>he doesn't know how to do dips

you're extremely unstable and dangerous.

I like pushups much more
Which brings the question, dips or pushups?

try having proper form and do more rows/pull ups
inb4 I already do that
you either have bad form or arent doing rows/pull ups correctly

>unless you are already injured
Some good advice here. U prob fucked ur shit not lifting with ur chest and have a permanent shoulder injury. Happens commonly with idiots "try" flaring out the shoulders, among other wrong ways to lift.

nah my shoulder just hurts after bench pressing. and you don't flare your shoulders ever. that's an elbow cue.

please do recite stronglifts/starting strength form advice for us, oh wise one

>surely the lift is wrong and not me said OP with 20 cocks in his mouth

Someone told me the only thing that should be touching the bench is my traps and my ass. It actually worked, try that next time

i don't think the lift is wrong, i'm just not new enough to care anymore. i've spent years fucking with my form and have studied thousands of pieces of literature in the process. whatever brilliant form advice you copied from ss/sl and are about to give rest assured i've already done it

Should consider dumbbells

>not new enough to care
yet here you are coming to us for help because you're clearly no expert, so let me tell you again, fix your form and lower the weight

seems like that would just create excessive arch. how would that help the shoulder? limiting the rom doesn't make much difference if that's what you're thinking. i've tried setting spotter arms above chest. still get shoulder problem.

i'm not coming to you for form advice dipshit

The neutral grip is only really easier on the shoulders because you tuck the elbows so much more to make it work. This can also be emulated using DBs with a neutral grip or, if you're in a really well equipped gym, a log (which also reduces shoulder stress further because it cuts your ROM slightly).

A grip tool like that is likely to be fucking useless with real weight on the bar.

I don't know if it exists already but loads and loads of people fuck their shit up on the benchpress. Why hasn't someone made an olympic style ez bar for benchpressing? That way you need to be lifting as an absolute moron for it to wreck your shit

Because that's going to do absolutely nothing to protect the stuff that's liable to get fucked up by benching?

That's why I was asking if any of you actually used it before. I can see the logic in it not working or working but it's not the same as using it

What about football/swiss bar? I just don't wanna get another bar. The grips seems handy.

how so? It prevents you from having your shoulders in the a position where most accidents happen

what about hamstrings.... wtf you would have to arch and not have your legs on the bench at all..

Swiss bar is, in my experience, pretty good for reducing shoulder stress provided that stress is being caused by external rotation of the shoulder (the usual shoulder issue associated with benching). The downsides to it are that its a real motherfucker to unrack because of how unstable it is and it tends to be much more of a shoulder/tricep movement than a chest movement (again, because of the much greater elbow tuck).

I always got around shoulder issues with benching by either floor or board pressing whenever things were feeling beat up (because they don't really change the movement beyond clipping off the ROM where its most likely to irritate the shoulder), but those aren't going to solve it for everyone.

Actually legit question. Do you have hypermobility in your shoulders?

I do, but only in my left shoulder. I *CAN* pop it out of place at will. I consciously try not to, but this is a huge hindrance on my BP. It causes me to strain the proximal bicep tendon, which is *loads* of fun.

So for me, this question actually has a lot of merit. I've worked on form with doctors and have had it x-rayed. This weakness of the tendons is my problem.

more importantly to all the guys experiencing pain: where the fuck does it hurt?
if youre more specific with the location someone might be able to give better advice.

Mine's the rotator cuff, but again, hypermobility of my shoulder. I've not torn my RC yet and have laid off of BP b/c of it.

thx bb

I can force the ball into its socket at will? I've never popped my shoulder out of place before. I think I have great shoulder mobility.

It's just my left shoulder. I'm pretty sure it's just a weakness and not my form but I've spent forever trying to strengthen it to that of my right shoulder. I just want to bench I'm tired of trying to fix it.

internal or external ?
check exrx. net look under the kinesiology tab on the left of the page then go to the sections weaknesses and inflexibility. theres tons of good info there that can help with rehabbing injuries.
also heck kelly starretts YT lots of helpful vids on fixing mobility issues

you're here because your form was shit and thats why you have shoulder pain
if you dont want to take my word for it maybe you'll understand when you fuck up your shoulder, I dont care my bench and shoulder is fine
I'm just trying to help out some idiot that doesnt want to take good advice

If you're getting overuse type injuries like tight shoulders, or elbow pain, try doing tons of external rotation work and rear delt stuff, and curls. I was doing a shit ton of bench/pressing work and after the third week my shoulder would be tight constantly, started adding in like 5-6x12 external rotation type work that's really light,and pretty much every day, and I'm doing more volume now with no tightness.

Dips.
Not doing dips because
>muh injuree
Is like not doing squats because
>muh knees

nah bro it's not my form. i'm almost entirely certain it's a weakness in my left shoulder. i've spent a long time strengthening it but i'm at the point where i just want to bench press again and i know the problem goes away with a hammer grip from db bench press, hence the meme balls.

[spoiler]For You[/spoiler]

Just do decline bench for fucks sake. Not only does it activate the chest better, but it's MUCH better for your shoulders. Flat bench is a terrible fucking exercise.

comes with the territory mang. you come to understand its a necessity to keep up with the lifting lifestyle. ive been struggling with bench due to several injuries of the shoulder: >improperly shifting collarbone
>raised first rib
>internal rotation severely limited by bicep, anterior delt(extremely tight), and pec
>swelling in external rotator and rear delt.
>tons of clicking and popping through ROM on all presses
want to cry because im trying to break 3pl8 just got stuck at 275 1x3.

see my post though

if your gym doesn't have a decline bench getting into that postion can wreck you shit up, or you could get into the smithmachine and wreck your shit up

in that case I recommend you work on increasing your external shoulder rotation

Yeah I've done a lot of that external rotation stuff. One thing that helped a shitload was taking a band and rig it up like you're gonna do band face pulls but only pull with the arm with the shoulder problem. Or just do band face pulls.

External rotation. I've been doing internal and external rotation exercises for a while. Didn't realize rows would help, but I've been adding them back in for a bit. Also, lots of lat and front flies, which tend to slightly strain, but not hurt the shoulder.

Just looking for anything else to help at this point, bc its been holding back my BP and OHP for too long. Like not being able to bench over 185 since forever (so it feels like), even though squats 315 and diddy is 435.

back movements (rows, rear flys, face pulls) can help with balancing the entire shoulder structure (which isnt just your delts) when dealing with difficulty in pressing movements.
also lighter weight and full rom with DB on presses can help as well.

i know most of what im dealing with is caused by doing too much chest whenever i first started. created a huge imbalance
>protracted shoulder girdle
>reoccurring bursitis
>tendonitis in both elbows
also in the same boat as you. squats and deads progressing nicely (390 1x2 and 505 1x3 ) was hoping to break 280 for 3s soon but shoulder started disagreeing with its treatment.

that stuff i shared has been pretty helpful with overall progress. just need to get my shit together so my bench can go up.

I'll have to add face pulls back in.

I keep forgetting that I'm actually doing rear flys, I superset them with bent over delt rows.

I actually stopped doing BP and strict OHP due to actually pulling the proximal bicep tendon. I put in doing DB BP and decline DB BP, full ROM with way lighter weight. It just sucks, bc I feel like I'll be there forever.

Thanks for the tips though, super helpful

Or you could just bench with good form

already do thanks bye.

Grip too wide? I thought grip being too narrow was what gave shoulder pain?

user
i want to thank you
my progress was hindered due to some kinda pain in my right shoulder, which made me afraid to increase the weight
position wise ive got everything down, but ive tried it now, using closer grip, and hory shiet it went away
thank you, senpanon

I think it depends on programming as well.

I had a fucked up shoulder. After an bad injury before I started lifting. Not like bros who say they got shoulder problems (because they worked their shoulders for months) but still overhead press.

I couldn't squat because I couldn't get my arm in position, that type of shoulder problems. Couldn't do chinups either. Or bench press ofc.

I worked up slow on the bench press during 2 years, did 87,5kg for a 1rm, and my shoulder still felt a little weary. Not going to go below 3 reps again.

I did a really narrow grip when I started too, but it still fucks your shoulder. The question is how fast you progress, and if you want to progress like people without shoulder problems, then no good form will help you.

Like... Your spotter holds the bar and you just press their arms?

I get shoulder pain (not really painful but it feels off) when benching too. My form is fine, scapulae are retracted, elbows in, etc. Its's just a pretty bad lift desu. I probably did it incorrectly first few motnhs but I don't think I fucked something up when I benched below 60kg.

The ball in your pic is probably shit. Looks very unstable. Just try neutral grip DB bench.

I ditched bench alltogether desu, my shoulders just don't like it. Heavy dips and light flies and pullovers for me.

lmao, I guaran fucking te you that you'll kill yourself with this once you start going for more than 1pl8, do you actually think 2 fingers are able to hold that kinda weight in a stable position? this is like suicide grip times 10

>>I've tried all the form cues, still get shoulder pain. Elbows tucked, flared
>and you don't flare your shoulders ever. that's an elbow cue.
take your own advice then u fucking idiot. holy shit

Then do dumbell flat bench. It's still way superior to barbell flat bench in terms of injury prevention. Unless you're a powershitter, there's no reason to barbell flat bench, regardless of how shitty your gym is.

learn to read moron

Memeballs are dumb, but there is a sense in forearm/grip training. Either get one of those handsprings or start doing farmer walks/finger curls/etc.

>do you actually think 2 fingers are able to hold that kinda weight in a stable position?
it isn't two fingers tho, at least not for bench press. the weight is still in your hand only with a neutral grip instead of a pronated grip. it's the same idea as a football/swiss bar or a ball grip pullup. the idea isn't new the only question is if it works like it should.

>90% of the gymgoers don't stretch after lifting

gee I wonder what the problem is

Why are they dumb? I could use them for pullups too. Has anyone in here actually used them before? I am worried that they'd interfere with the lift but I do my bench work in a rack so..not that worried.

It seems the consensus on these is that they're hard on your hands. I guess i'll play around some more with bench press form and incorporate more db work. fml

never thought about stretching, tell me more familia

Seems kinda pointless to me. If you want to protect your shoulders, do this:

1) Switch to a neutral or even reverse grip bench press. The reverse grip is very friendly on the shoulders, but it might give you wrist or elbow pain. In that case switch to neutral grip, either dumbbells or if you're lucky, a Swiss bar or a log.
2) Tuck your elbows. The only reason people recommend flaring on the top is because you're able to lift more weight that way, from a shoulder health standpoint, you shouldn't flare at all.
3) Switch to a close grip. This will make the above two things even easier to implement.

These should generally fix the problem. But if you're still having pain, there is one more step:

4) Reduce the range of motion. Do either board presses, rack lockouts or floor presses, whichever you prefer.

>The reverse grip is very friendly on the shoulders, but it might give you wrist or elbow pain
Supine grip is very hard on wrists and good luck unracking any considerable amount of weight without a spotter.

Everything else I've tried both with elbows tucked and lightly flared, narrowed grip to various amounts and reduced ROM to varying degrees.

Floor press just feels like a tricep workout and I do shit for weight on it.

DB bp works but I can't do enough weight with them. May as well just do lightweight bb bp instead.

Bench press used to be my favorite lift but I'm starting to hate it.

Every bench variation that works your pecs to a significant extent is going to hurt your shoulder, that's the sad reality of it. It's better to have just a tricep workout than no workout at all.

I think what I'm gonna do for a while at least is focus on strengthening my shoulder with OHP and only going light on BP at like 50% of 1rm and increase reps. I feel like a retard doing light BP it just feels like nothing is happening. I'm not even injured I just feel it coming.

Focusing on OHP, with a fuckton of rowing, rear delt, and rotator cuff work is also a good option. If you do that for a few months, your shoulders should feel better, and you won't lose too much strength if you also do tricep dominant bench variations.

read:
also kys for being an illiterate cunt and then telling others how to read

elbows flared =/= shoulders flared

shoulders flared isn't even a thing. you mean don't come off the bench? lol it's literally noob/i just got done reading ss hour in here

hang yourself from a palm tree retard

good job intentionally misreading typos cunt

Elbow flaring isn't inherently bad either. No matter what you do or say you're still retarded.

i experienced some pain as a beginner when I had way worse technique. what I'm pretty sure helped was keeping my shoulder blades back, making sure not to let them forward at the last inch or so of the movement

You're probably already injured bro.

Stop benching for the next week or two. Start doing some mobility work. And fix your shit. Then start following proper bench technique.