What the fuck is the 1x5 deadlift in SL supposed to mean...

what the fuck is the 1x5 deadlift in SL supposed to mean? I do some warmups but I never know by how much to increase so I just randomly add weights for 2 sets until I do only one set of my actual planned weigth. I feel like it's not enough. it is hard, I can't do more than 5 but I feel like I could do more than only one set of deadlifts. what do?

When you are at low weight, you can just do 5x5 for proper form muscle targetting. Later on, it gets increasingly hard as you are supposed to keep increasing weight so you can only do 1x5 comfortably. If you follow his advise, you would be doing 1x5 with 10kg+10kg+bar or so. That has zero effect.

> I feel like it's not enough.
Clearly you have the experience and move enough weight at this point to know what you should do, it's why you're on a beginners routine. Make your own workout plan bro. You know what's up.

will do
shut up

you're being sarcastic but I'd unironically recommend this for everyone. doing a program is not difficult. only the lazy and mentally challenged need to follow a routine from the internet

No def bro. Any first timer knows what's best. Why bother following a proven and effective routine when you can badly reinvent the wheel yourself.

it's not SL fault you didn't fucking read the programming manual. if you're too dumb to do that at least use the fucking app. it calculates the warm up sets for you. typically you'll be doing 4-5 warm-up sets going from 1 plate up to like 90% of your working weight

diddly is very taxing on the body

at higher working weights you should be getting gassed after 1x5

It means you just do one set of five reps you dip

I use an app called warmup for this.

>use the fucking app
I have the app. there's no warm up sets included. at least not in the free version?

Not OP, but how long should I do a more traditional 3x5/5x5 routine for Deadlifts? What weight do I need to reach before 1x5 is applicalble

Context: I'm a gym noob who is doing 1x5 at 90kg currently.

Right now I'm doing 5x5 diddly @ 378lbs. I'm cutting and I'm 180lbs now for context. However I only do one exercise per session (with the exception of Sunday where I do OHP 5x5 and weighted chin ups 5x5), so I think that gives me a bit more time to recover.

I do feel like I need to cut down to 3x5 on diddly though, 5x5 is brutal on a cut.

He specifically says to start DL from 1pl8. Anyone who isn't disabled should be able to lift 60kg.

Honestly, why can't people comprehend the most basic, simplistic routines out there? Is this the American education system in action or what?

you're unironically a retard

5x5 for that weight is quite a bit man. A very manly choice.

It 1x5 isn't enough you are clearly not lifting enough. The dead lift is supposed to tire you out cause it uses the most muscles. The squating 3 times a week is enough for lower body and will help improve your dead lift too

Do 5x3, it feels lighter but it's more work than 3x5.

The purpose of squatting every day is to drive deadlift progress. Do some rows after deadlifts if you're not tired. That'll go a long way to bettering your physique.

Spend the time learning form whilst it's easy.

You should be adding weight rapidly, it will get heavy very fast.

how many warmup sets/reps should you do?

Would pay twice as much, I find it so valuable.

>135
>45 each side
> 45 + 45 = 90

Is mehdi retarded?

Not sure if serious...

I just got to 405X5 for Deadlift just doing 1X5. All while doing a simple 3X5 routine. Just warm up with whatever makes you feel good until the working set comes.

Why the fuck would you need an app for warmups? Warmups are simple. Here is mine as an example:
135 for 5
185 for 3
235 for 2
285 for 1

WORKING SET 315 for 5

You go up about 50 pounds per set, and decrease the reps to conserve your energy. The last jump can be bigger than 50 pounds, but try to never jump more than 75 at a time.

And yes I'm a beginner. I only weight 150 so eat a dick.

basically this

Do what feels good and doesn't compromise your work sets. Sometimes you'll fuck up but you'll learn from it.

I'm bigger and stonger than you without having ever followed a premade program but whatever kid, some of us were meant to just follow obediently

SS if effective because squats and DL are effective, not because of the magic scheduling. doing your own specially tailored routine just for you doesn't mean inventing your own exercises. you're still squatting and deadlifting and guess what? they're still effective

Build up in ~20% jumps of 2-3 reps. Start with 2 sets of 5 with 1 plate to get started.

So if you deadlift 120kg. Do:
2x5 @ 60kg
1x3 @ 80kg
1x2 @ 100kg
1x5 @ 120kg

post pics then.

>i know more than strength experts

fuck off arrogant tard

does anyone have 2.5 lb weights at their gym? i'm at a college gym, so idk if that makes a difference, but for some reason, I can't find anything lighter than 5 lbs.
It's kind of annoying, and maybe potentially a problem, given that mehdi advises to increase each day by 5 lbs. Currently, I am increasing by 10 lbs(5 on each side).

>does anyone have 2.5 lb weights at their gym?
Yes

I think most every gym has 2.5 lb weights. I'd recommend buying your own if the gym won't provide. 10 lbs/increase is going to get old fast. I just bought some 1.25 lbs for OHP.

I didn't say I know more. These premade programs are made to suit millions of people. If you got mark rippetoe or whatever to monitor your exercise and progress and build you a personalized program he can alter on the fly when he sees need for it then of course it would be better. But he doesn't does he? All you have is some program that's designed to do allright whether you're 5'4" 120lbs nerd or 6'2" 180lbs with a decade of aerobic exercise like sports under your belt. Because of that they're meant as general guidelines not something to follow religiously but idiots like you see an example program online and think it's fucking magic or a SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN IDEAL OPTIMIZED workout because it's easier to just follow than it is to investigate, compare and build your own that you can modify as need be.

In case this isn't pic related, 1pl8+1pl+bar is equal to 135 lad
And if pic related good job getting me to respond

instead of this progression

>200x5
>205x5
>210x5

do this progression
>200x5
>210x4
>210x5

simple

You are not a special snowflake.

I guess I'll look harder, and If I still can't find them, I'll ask. Or i'll buy some. I guess it was kind of a stupid question to begin with.

Also, what is OHP?

And another quick question, is it normal to be better at one excersize than another? i.e. I can do the squats(stronglift beginner weights) with ease, but I struggle a little with the over head press.

exactly. anyone with half a brain is capable of this.

>OHP
OverHead Press

Yes it's normal to have natural strong and weak lifts. Typically Deadlift > Squat > Bench > Overhead Press

>I'll ask
Yes, that would be the thing to do.

>what is OHP?
>the over head press

>is it normal to be better at one excersize than another?
Completely.

just curious, do you do stronglifts? and what do you lift?

No I don't. I did Starting Strength. I lift

>Squat
3x5 @ 140kg
>Deadlift
1x5 @ 175kg
>OHP
3x5 @ 67.5kg
>Bench Press
3x5 @ 102.5kg

His ass is too high to do a proper deadlift.

how long did it take you to get there?

Impossible to answer really because it wasn't a linear path. After SS I thought I wanted super gains so went to 5/3/1 and got nowhere, then I made my own PPL and got nowhere etc. Wasn't until I jumped on TM that I actually started progressing again.

If I strip out all the shit that didn't work, it's SS -> TM and it would have taken ~9 months.

In reality it took 2 years. But you live and you learn.

I'm the other guy you were talking to, and I do. In week 12. One deload on OHP already and just deloaded on squats. DL is progressing every other attempt but no deloads yet. Bench and row progressing nicely. Got frustrated from not getting more than 8 body weight chins, so just tried weighted to my utter failure. It's right after DL so my arms are a little weird right then.

who do I trust?

also how long do you wait to do chinups after lifting? what was your starting weight?

the only reason I ask is because you seem kind of like your in the situation im in(lower OHP weight, around the same body weight, etc.)

im 150 pounds currently.

im only the 4th day in.

55 squats

45 OHP

105 deadlift

>who do I trust?
With what?

>how long do you wait to do chinups after lifting? what was your starting weight?
If you mean when did I add chins/dips as accessory lifts, i was about 3-4 weeks in, when I "got my footing" and thought I could handle a couple more things. My starting body weight was about 162. I started at a deficit, then did at TDEE when my lifts stalled, now I am at a surplus, but my last DL made my lower back sore enough since Friday that I don't even think I'm gonna make tomorrow. Thankfully it's just sore and not snapped, but still pretty darn sore.

OHP > bench > squat > DL is pretty much how most people go from lowest weight > most. Fewer > more muscles used/lift.

>how long do you wait to do chinups after lifting?
Forgot... But if you meant how many minutes, I dunno, I put the weights/bar away, put on my shoes, catch my breath and do my first set of chins. Maybe 4-5 minutes? I definitely do not rush in to the first set of chins, as DL is tough for me.

I meant who is who.

>I'm the other guy you were talking to

two people responded to the same post.

>Who is who
I am:

>bar over midfoot
>scapula over bar
Everything looks alright here.

And I am this guy. There you go. But one of us always lies and the other always tells the truth...

something something the guy's brother is he the liar

i forget how the riddle works

You're in a room with two doors: one to certain death and one to freedom. There are two parrots etc. and you can only ask one question:

>If I asked the other parrot which was the door to freedom, what door would he tell me?

Then you take the other door.

What's your program + stats look like?
Curious because I want to see what you would even do to modify a beginner program based on body differences

My gym has 1.25 lbs micro plates. Some are not as lucky as I...

>decreases reps as he gets closer to working weight

haha fucking pussy

AM I a nerd if I remember this riddle from Yu-gi-oh?

not bad bait