Was this the ultimate autism? Who thought it was a good idea? The Allies literally breached it in a single day

Was this the ultimate autism? Who thought it was a good idea? The Allies literally breached it in a single day.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Path-Victory-Mediterranean-Theater-World/dp/0374529760
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We could have just gone through Spain DESU.

Make something better yourself, then.

Also this is the first time I ever heard this term. I'm nearing 30 and not a burger, wtf?

>the absolute bulk of German troops fight in the east while the Atlantic wall is manned by children and old people
>LOL GG EZ
Well no shit.

Burger are not the only idiots in the world, British education is a joke as well.

Dragoon proved that we could've land at the South
and it wasn't out of possibility to go through Greece or Yugoslavia

>not a burger
Enjoy your hellish existence.

>Yugoslavia
That's a really hostile terrain with a horrible rugged coast, enjoy getting Gallipoli'd.

I would suggest you read this book. amazon.com/Path-Victory-Mediterranean-Theater-World/dp/0374529760

While an invasion into Yugoslavia off of Italy is *theoretically* possible, it was enormously difficult and was never seriously considered as a replacement to an invasion in northwest Europe. One of the bigger, simpler problems is that the Adriatic is much wider than the channel; wide enough that most of your British planes can't cover your invasion zone, only the longer ranged American fighters (and not all of them) could. And then of course you have the much rougher terrain and the much poorer infrastructure; the usual limit on how much force the Allies could bring to bear somewhere was how much supply the local infrastructure was capable of handling.

>Britain invades Iceland for fear of a German invasion
>Doesn't invade Ireland despite being much closer

Did they fear the Celt warrior?

Would an invasion through Spain face similar constraints from terrain and supply?

If you don't want that scenario, maybe don't declare war on US when your treats are treating from Moscow next time.

They invaded Iceland so that the Germans couldn't use it as a naval base and raid shipping.

If the Germans invaded Ireland they could use Northern Ireland as a base to drive them out while the navy cut of supplies. Also the Irish would probably be unhappy about being invaded by Germans.

no because france and spain had only two points where large armies could easily cross and the rest were the pyreenes mountain ranges. arguably a better fortress than the atlantic wall, unless the allies were willing to pull a hannibal on a suicidal scale.

Yes, but moreso it would draw Spain, a neutral country, into the war. And it wouldn't even let you strike directly at Germany, you'd have to go through the entire length of France.

oof
I guess they just gotta build a Channel Tunnel 40 years early and only from the *nglo side

>if the Germans invaded Ireland

Literally how tho

I'm not really sure. I've never read anything which went into the nuts and bolts of a possible invasion through Spain, and I'm not sure what the roads, rail, port, etc. development was like. Probably, just from what I know of the overall level of wealth Spain had back in the 40s, but that's just intuition, not backed by anything.

Depends on where in Spain, Galicia is the closest to Britain and the terrain there is horrid, good luck hauling all that shit there from Britain too.
Technically you could invade Andalucia from southern Africa but you're still risking getting bogged down in the Pyrenees, invading in France doesn't create that problem.

*northern Africa

some Irish nationalists-types had almost an extreme autistic desire to spite the british.

(be it that this was sort of in response to the Anglo's seemingly unconscious desire to completely alienate Irish Catholics, which had been demonstrated during and after ww1, with the suspension of home rule and then the "black and tans"-shitshow, and after ww2 with the completely botched response to civil unrest in northern Ireland that basically was needlessly escalated into a wider/more violent insurrection)..

Not him, but distance from Britain isn't going to be the main issue, and by 1943, you have virtually unlimited shipping to work with; the bigger constraint is going to be port capacity to offload, and road and rail capacity to get it out of the port.

it just means you're ignorant

You still need air support though, and refuelling and rearming is going to be an issue. The distance between Southampton and Galicia is longer than between London and Berlin.

You're not going to be able to get a period fighter from anywhere in England to anywhere in Spain to begin with, so the matter's something of a moot point, unless you can do something like get Salazar to allow you to land troops in his country to springboard from (why would he though?)

No because the Allies would most likely have the support of Portugal in that case (due to their alliance with UK)

"Hmm, who would have thought that massing all of our troops into a single point along a fortified line in order to breach it is a good idea? Oh golly we better test it out at Normandy" - The Western Allies

remember the allies embarked on a long disinformation campaign before then to trick the Nazis into thinking the invasion would happen at Calais

had the Germans known the true location of the invasion odds are it would've been a lot messier

Should of just landed on spain, sweden, or ireland instead of doing D-Day in paris

dumbasses

>1942-1944

2017 Americans can't even make one with Mexico