Why is Irish architecture so ugly?

Why is Irish architecture so ugly?
Is there a greater disparity between the beauty of the wilderness and the urban sprawl than Ireland?

I generally adapt biases for culture very readily (i've been a -boo of many sorts), but even as a young child - after watching Gargoyles and Lord of the Rings and reading Celtic fantasy, I one day took to google to see what romantic Ireland actually looks like; and I could not reconcile the imagery.

>Why is Irish architecture so ugly?
Because it's an offshoot of British architecture which itself is butt ugly.
>after watching Gargoyles and Lord of the Rings and reading Celtic fantasy, I one day took to google to see what romantic Ireland actually looks like; and I could not reconcile the imagery.
Well I'm just gonna call you a complete idiot for conflating rural Arcadian settings with urban shitholes.

English is the same garbage. My mum told me (she's French) that it was the first thing she noticed when she came to live in England. Just how ugly so much of the architecture is.

I recently moved to mainland Europe (Bologna, Italy) and holy shit do countries like Poland, Spain, Italy and France have more appealing historical cities. How the fuck did these countries that actually had wars fought on their land manage to still have so many more impressive, well preserved ancient cities than the UK? Fuck, the difference is like night and day.

italians had to compensate by smashing their own historical sites

Iceland is gorgeous and the architecture is all steel squares or concrete squares.

More disparity than Ireland even.

Surely the states is the ultimate example of this.

>Iceland is gorgeous
I never understood this meme. Visited the place back in 2008 and there were no trees whatsoever, entire country is just rocks and moss everywhere, it's literally a wasteland. Combined with the shit weather it's a pretty ugly country overall.

No, that's Russia and it's not even close.

Iceland was another disappointment to me
>omg i'm gonna move to iceland and be an atheist viking it's soooo beautiful
>google images of iceland
I'm glad I never shared these opinions out loud

because it was built by english to store the irish

american architecture is boring and cookie cutter.

With the worst examples being found in the smaller towns and cities, or upper-middle class "mcMansions", where there's some sort of clumsy collage of "architectual motifs", without any rhyme, reason, or balance to make it actually good.

largely though it's vinyl siding and shingled roofs.

The one thing that neighborhood has over your average, modern U.S. sprawl is the age.
But, since the U.S. is so enormous - and since at one point its constituent states were actually given a modicum of autonomy - you can find great variety in both the good and the bad.

Speaking as a non-American here, but America just suffers from the plague of being a modern, relatively recently founded country. Seriously just go to Germany and look at all the architecture built after the 1800s, it's just as bad as America if not even worse. Same glass and concrete boxes, same sterile design, same lack of taste. Modernism and mass production was a mistake.

Look outside of the cities and to the wilderness and castles and manor houses if you want romantic Ireland

looks cozy honestly

Blow off back to KC

whats KC?

literally brainlet responses.

No castle or manor house is going to be in any kind of Irish architectural style, you retard, since they only started making their own decisions about this stuff in the 20th century.

>England has ugly architecture
Being this retarded

More 'ugly' architecture in England

Here's an 'Ugly' English town

Inb4 "cherry picking".
Cherry picking entire cities

Ólafur Butthurtsson

t. has never been to York, Chester, Canterbury etc.

Nothing of value there anyway

>being so obviously autistic as to stand out on the autistic website that is this Mongolian fishing rod review forum

Wow so ugly. Also famously shit university

Because the country was poor as shit till the 1970's

I live in a little shitty village in Ireland with shitty looking houses. But pretty much every village has manor houses outside it. Also just like every other country there are shitty parts and beautiful parts. Pic related is the manor house 10 mins walk from where I live.

Isn't this medieval Irish town?

We also have a lot of beautiful castles

And our government buildings arent bad

Another castle

Isn't that northern Ireland?

Another

It's ours

Used to live 20 mins from Trim Castle

Also a shit ton of these churches in nearly every town

Because all our best builders left years ago and built New York.

It's like this in a lot of places in the UK OP, I grew up in a near identical street to your pic. Most foreigners here probably go to places that were important enough to bomb in WW2, and these houses were build after the war. One way of knowing you have an older house in the UK is when you have a long garden, means owners at one point had to grow food there to ease the strain of rationing.
>Scouser, grew up 10 minutes away from the non-tourist docks

Ireland is not in the UK.

Modern day UK is, more so than any other European country, a child of the industrial revolution. As soon as the steam engine was discovered and Napoleon shoved to the mid-atlantic, the Brits basically set about turning their country into a giant factory because they didnt have the manpower/resources of other countries.

your jimmies sound rustled, percy

Mate,i'm from milton keynes, modern british architecture is generic and bland, bar a few rich people who were able to mildly modify the templates their houses were built off.

Most of the UK is the same. Houses aren't built like this anymore anyway

>Why are the countries that birthed the moral theory of utilitarianism, and is the source of the Industrial Revolution so ugly?

Gee, I have no idea OP.

Most of the architecture in Ireland was built under English rule, so it's basically a copy. Irish never really had a culture of architecture. It's not something they care about all that much. Sound cliché but you visit Ireland for the people and nature, and the Irish hold the same opinion. They're proud of their countries natural beauty and people, not their buildings

Sweden is also an architectural armpit. God I wish I could tear down every building here.

They must all have died crossing the atlantic.

The real problem with British architecture is that 90% of inner-city buildings 19th century brick terraces. They aren't in themselves ugly (or even bad to live in since most of the really shit buildings got demolished in the 50s) but the endless rows of red brick really grate after a while.

Modern architecture from any country is typically bland

M8 I have lived in York, the nice part of Bristol (Clifton) and Exeter. All the examples you would throw at me (and they would certainly be less than ten) would just be exceptions in a sea of dross. I had a feeling my post would throw up an army of butthurt English but if you travel around Europe a bit you realise how much more other countries have. Germany and France which I know quite well have a huge number of beautiful historical cities with substantial historic centres. I'm not saying there aren't a couple beautiful cities/towns in England I'm just saying there's a LOT of ugly.

Even our previous countryside is really fucking overrated. There, I said it.

Btw Chester has a nice couple streets in the middle of the city but it's fucking tiny and takes about five minutes to walk through it all. Also it doesn't even matter when most of the shops are the same generic high Street crap you get everywhere else.

Oxford and Cambridge are entire cities of beautiful architecture and you act like that's too insignificant. There are over 600 castles in the UK and over 100 cathedrals. Every country has it's fair share or ugly architecture. Imo Britain has the best, although there's homeland bias. France and Italy also have a good amount of gorgeous architecture, but they have shitty modern architecture in equally great abundance

Britain is the same though

>complaining about secular countries having shit architecture when the Arabs exist
Seriously, why the hell is every Middle Eastern city full of drab concrete blocks? You'd think Muslims would be more inspired or something. Or is it the low IQ meme?

Assuming pick is from muslim country, it actually looks pretty good considering it was built for lower class peasants to live in and pray.

Dublin is a British-built city, Irish streets look like this

Why didn't you destroy these symbols of oppression?

>No castle or manor house is going to be in any kind of Irish architectural style, you retard, since they only started making their own decisions about this stuff in the 20th century.
Anything before Cromwell is likely to be native or Norman, protestant ascendancy came with Cromwell.

Pic related would be typical of a Gaelic noble's house

kinda looks like my comfy hometown

>UK and other countries have good and bad in equal abundance.
I disagree. In terms of urban architecture he UK has more shit and less good than a lot of countries.
>Muh castles, stately homes and churches.
I was talking about towns and cities.

is housing like this found anywhere in europe?

Post-industrial Britain is diabolically ugly.

yeah in, and perfected by, the Swedish and Norwegians.

well, that was that thing with loosing a world war, with a incomparable depression and recession until another world war, that resulting in the whole country being torn to rumbles.

Christ I feel sorry for bongs now

My guess is he is talking about County Kildare

Who do you think ruled Ireland for centuries before you mong

You a newfie? Ireland and Newfoundland are pretty similar

coastal norway might be your place

Industrial revolution?

yeah wew, didn't know the architecture was similar to ireland
neat stuff

I've always loved Turkish residential architecture. It's a wonderful mix of Mediterranean, Persian, and Arab styles.

Where is this country northern ireland you speak of??

true, im a big fan or the colourful wood paneling

Krautchan

Actual Irish architecture would be things like blackhouses and clochans and round towers and the Rock of Cashel and Gaelic castles and churches. Those houses are just British architecture in Ireland.

All architecture built past the 1920s sucks dick, this is an empirical fact. It doesn't matter if it's England, America, Germany or fucking Tanzania.

>Lord of the Rings and reading Celtic fantasy, I one day took to google to see what romantic Ireland actually looks like
you're supposed to look at hills, cliffs and mountains, not fucking modern buildings

I'm honestly baffled that people are unironically trying to look for idyllic rural settings in fucking DUBLIN.

>not enjoying Georgian symetry
>being such an ostentatious retard you need big baroque buildings

We don’t want you anyway user fuck off

this, most cities here in canada are pretty bland due to urban sprawl
east coast in general is comfy though

>what is the beauty and heritage of Georgian Dublin.
>is disappointed in fantasy-depictions of Ireland that aren't urbane.

>modern british architecture is generic and bland
Almost all modern architecture is generic and bland. What the fuck is your point?

in ww2 britain was wholly against germany and thus an obvious target for having its industry destroyed, whereas france quickly surrendered whilst the population actively aided their 'occupiers'

tell your crypto-nazi mother to fuck off back to france if pretty houses mean so much to her

>Those houses are just British architecture in Ireland
the british have had some form of rule in ireland for nearly 900 years, old bean
time to accept that it's a fundamental part of your culture and heritage, no matter how hard you try to erase it

Sure its comfy but no one actually wants to live there.

This. I'd also add that economic reality through time discouraged building vanity projects other than really nice Catholic Churches everywhere, such as a local village church in pic related that's of an early 20th century design. Also the prods built some vanity manors in most big towns.
Personally give me a warm box with standard creature comforts and I'm happy enough, although I've seen plenty modernist grand design new build houses and every single one is a waste of time in contrast with the 2 up 2 down and dormer designs everywhere which are perfectly fine.
French have best taste and more power to them.

Why wouldnt you want to live in that picturesque, wind swept armpit of the world with no means of connecting with anyone outside of those 12 square yards of space?

People are weird.