Why did Hanfu die out in China?

I live in Japan, and the kimono tradition here is pretty strong.

15~30% of people have real expensive silk Kimonos at home, and the tradition of silk making has continued.

Clothing from the Heian period are still seen in certain situations even.

We often wear Kimonos for certain events like coming of age day, weddings, festivals etc...

I find it strange that the tradition seems to have died out in China...

From the images I've seen, the Hanfu that do exist are basically cheap attempts at reconstructing what it may have looked like.

Other urls found in this thread:

qz.com/1064404/young-people-in-china-have-started-a-fashion-movement-built-around-racial-purity/
m.scmp.com/news/china/article/2116289/hanfu-fashion-revival-ancient-chinese-dress-finds-new-following?amp=1
zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/剃髮易服#cite_ref-12
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>

qz.com/1064404/young-people-in-china-have-started-a-fashion-movement-built-around-racial-purity/
m.scmp.com/news/china/article/2116289/hanfu-fashion-revival-ancient-chinese-dress-finds-new-following?amp=1

Go actually visit somewhere that’s not Beijing or Shanghai for once. There are 1.38 billion Chinese outside those cities.

My point is that these "Hanfu revival" movements are just revivals. There is no real tradition behind it. It's just costumes

I wanna know why it died out in the first place

>it died out

But it did not. The hanfu movement is proof of that since many of the best dresses are made by the exact same traditional developers.

There are thousands of Chinese temples that still have the same traditions and outfits as always. Some villages in Sichuan have people who only wear their traditional outfits because they can’t afford modern ones.

You also have this autistic belief that court outfits are for normal people. The kimono itself was only for the top 1% in ancient Japan and therefore it became a status symbol in the modern era.

Suffice to say, your perception of China is wrong. You believe they’ve abandoned a tradition 99.9% of Chinese never actually had.

Of normal people didn't wear Hanfu, what did they wear?

attempts at modernism. having said that the new republic stuff was fly as FUCK

Idk, probably gross ass rags or something. You know, like every other peasant ever.

I'm not well read on the subject, but if I'd dare to guess I'd say it has something to do with the Communist revolution and them declaring the fashion counter-revolutionary or something like that.

Not true. There is no difference in Taiwan.

I think it has to do with Manchu rule

1. Chinese fashion changed with dynasties
2. At the end of the Qing dynasty there was a wave of modernist thought which believed that China should utterly wipe out the old ways and thinking and adopt a western mentality; This is not unique; the Meiji govt banned topknots and carrying katanas in its modernization efforts;
3. The final nail in the coffin was the cultural revolution, which took the nascent ideas about overthrowing the old and turned them into religious, dogmatic insanity. During that time certain branches of physics werent even allowed to be fucking taught because they were "counter revolutionary", it was mass hysteria on a nation wide scale and one of the most shameful moments in Chinese history, worse in my opinion than the century of humiliation, because at least in that case it wasn't entirely self inflicted.

Don't let revisionist Bo Xi Lai disciples trick you, the CR was a fucking disaster

>Don't let revisionist Bo Xi Lai disciples trick you, the CR was a fucking disaster

Read

itchy lice-filled wool (maybe linen?) or possibly cotton robes with a rope belt and wicker sandals with maybe some leather belt and straps, along with a straw hat.

Because Japan had Meizi restoration, which made everything traditional ruling class did fashionable, China had a series of Republican revolutions, and a great (and justified) hatred of Imperial ruling class, while everything Western fashionable.

Because Hanfu didn't really die out, Qing dynasty tried to ban it, but it's still wore by women, kids and monks, only adult men were seriously affected, actors of traditional operas also wear them to perform till today, depends on what character and story they play. There was old saying like this: "十從十不從 ", it means "only obey(the Hanfu restriction) under 10 conditions, but disobey it under other 10 conditions". Even fucking manchu emperors liked to wear them for cosplay occasionally.

The tradition of silk making also never die out, Qing dynasty still was the largest and best producer of silk textile in the world, so does China today.

However, the overall clothing did gradually change in middle to late Qing period, but that's mainly because Han people didn't so insist on costumes during the peace time anymore, until the nationalists revolution broke out.

It was replaced by pic related
Pic related is al the origin of chink kungfu costume and qipao

Verkeer mitcham

That clothing style is actually kinda Ming-esque

>Qing dynasty tried to ban it but it's still wore by women, kids and monks, only adult men were seriously affected, actors of traditional operas also wear them to perform till today, depends on what character and story they play.
I'd agree that Hanfu was mainly worn by religious figures and women but when did the Qing explicitly ban the usage of Hanfu amongst adult males? iirc there were photos taken by Japanese anthropologists of the late Qing/Republican era depicting isolated communities in the southwest with Hanfu.

Have you ever heard of the Cultural Revolution?

It's called "剃髮易服令" purposed by prince regent Dorgon under emperor Shunzhi's reign after they came during middle 17th century.

>剃髮易服令
This still doesn't answer my question. The ban was directed towards Qing officials,not Han commoners.

>That clothing style is actually kinda Ming-esque
The Ming actually had some similar clothing that the Manch introduced thanks to the Yuan conquest.

For example,uniforms akin to the Magua were worn by coastal Ming militias.

Manchus slaughters millions of people including commoners to enforce queue hairstyle, what makes their treatment of clothing any different?

Fuck you, you Jap shit. We will never forget about pearl harbour and what you did to the chinks and gooks.

Stop dodging the question. Name a source that Han commoners were forced to give up Hanfu.

Han Bannermen and ethnic Han officials weren't exempt however.

>Living in the past

You sound like a whiney Mr Li

I'm different guy, just want to know why its different

>The ban was directed towards Qing officials,not Han commoners.
No, it applied to every Han people and many southern minorities in theory, especially the gentries and intellectuals who have great potential stimulate rebellions, except the religious personnel . But it's really not that easy to enforce that harsh in practice, they met very heavy resistance, so the policy went soft later, the government wouldn't chop your head off so easily if they see you still wear hanfu, mostly women and children. So you still got some women, monks and small, isolated communities wear these clothes till the day Qing fell.

>I'm different guy, just want to know why its different
Bannermen and officials represented the ruling dynasty.

>No, it applied to every Han people and many southern minorities in theory,
Give a source that it applied to Han commoners not just the bannermen or officials.

There are plenty of Qing paintings that show Hanfu persisted amongst the general populace(including adult males) well after the Qing conquest.

Just to notify, I'm a southeast asian Chinese decent myself and I just don't get mentality of mainlanders (and taiwanese) who hates Qing descent culture so much, Hanfu phenomenon is especially weird for me since people here are proud of doing all old chinese tradition, regardless of where it came from (we also preserve many ceremonies that have dissappear in China itself) while Chinese Hanfuist doesn't seem to have any sense of tradition in it, and just feel so farce (especially the cheap Japanese/Korean inspired ones)

>Give a source that it applied to Han commoners not just the bannermen or officials.
OK.
1636年(後金崇德元年),皇太極明令:「凡漢人官民男女,穿戴要全照滿洲式樣[6]……有效他國衣冠、束髮、裹足者,重治其罪。」(東華錄)

1644年(順治元年)五月初二,多爾袞進北京,要求「投誠官吏軍民皆著薙髮,衣冠悉遵本朝制度」[12] (《清世祖實錄》卷5,順治元年五月庚寅條)

1645年(順治二年)六月初五日,多爾袞給江南前線總指揮多鐸下達指令:「各處文武軍民,盡令剃髮,儻有不從,以軍法從事」[23](東華錄)

What don't you go translate them yourself? These documents clearly said the manchu ruler want every Han people, including both "commoners" and officials, all changed their cloth and hairstyle. It's really no that hard to find them.
zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/剃髮易服#cite_ref-12

Also, I'm not this guy

Depends on region. China is a big place.

I'm not that user, but I don't really hate Qing that much, I kind like kung fu costume really. I'm Taiwanese actually.

The hatred toward Qing culture nowadays is largely modern phenomenon which generates by Hanfu reviving movement, not really directly relates to former nationalist revolution.

Also, please note this, the so-called "Manchu cloth", Qipao, Cheongsam...etc, are also partially derived from traditional Chinese clothing(remember manchus were Ming's vassal?) Not really alien thing like modern Hanfu fanatics depict.

>I find it strange that the tradition seems to have died out in China...
Insane communist regimes will do that to ya

No different in the RoC

But the problem is that tradition never really die out. And the "Hanfu reviving movement" is literally born in modern mainland China, and it's approved and supported by fucking CCP now. While the so-called "nationalist remnants"(DPP separatists more precisely ) in Taiwan today are eagerly to erase everything relates to Chinese culture(kinda like "cultural revolution" back then) and copy ever fucking disgusting things from Western gender-fluid SJWs nowadays.

The Empire should never have fallen.