Be 1225

>be 1225
>France wants to build the tallest cathedral in the world
>collapses multiple times
>never finished

Divine Intervention or just bad engineers?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosque–Cathedral_of_Córdoba
youtube.com/watch?v=FuwVPdKCBOE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulm_Minster
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

God works in mysterious ways :D

:^)

a testament to the dark ages

god is an anglo

God isn't gonna bend the laws of physics for architecture's sake. Also we've done dumber.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosque–Cathedral_of_Córdoba

i want to say bad engineers, but no discredit to them because they didn't have much theory to work with. its impressive they got that far, i can barely build a sandcastle

The engineers used a longer reference unit. Also the cathedral used to have a spire at the crossing which collapsed too. At that point it was the tallest building ever.
It's pretty impressive today, been there last year, the only thing preventing it from collapsing are these huge wooden beams.
But yeah, Beauvais cathedral gets way little credit as far as French architecture goes.

>Divine Intervention or just bad engineers?
Answer is your 2nd line, they were French

That was Made by low iq arabs so it’s understandable

>god is an anglo

It's true - I'm very British for a American whose family line has been in America since the early 1600's. I like pretty Cathedrals though, even in France - just not what they stand for.

youtube.com/watch?v=FuwVPdKCBOE

>muh heritage

God hates the French.

objectively worse than hagia sophia's minarets

I think it's mutual

God favours the anglo

Pictured: the tallest building in the world until overtaken by washington monument

It used to have spires

false... the tallest was the great Kufu pyramid

Except God loves the Germans most
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulm_Minster

I was thinking about this the other day, but what's the actual point of cathedrals?

I mean, I'm not a Christian, so obviously not having faith would affect my position, but it just seems overall kind of.. pointless? Also honestly they seem more like a secular symbol of the Church's power than any sort of "House of God"

It supplanted the pyramid when it was created. The first structure to best the height of the pyramids. It used to be 160m

That's why he let them win the world wars

Massive display of power and cultural hegemony. Also, they thought building them would please God.

>lutheran

Do not want

They built them because they knew that people in the 21st century can generate good tourist revenue from people visiting the country to see the cathedrals

Don't be silly, people are arrogant and everybody wants to show off that they are the richest, they are the most advanced nation, that they have the longest dicks etc.

Looks awful

The most beautiful cathedral Imo

English cathedrals were built by French architects.

>france can claim all English cathedals for their own

Why did French architects make English cathedals better?

I had to check the board, I thought I was on /pol/ or /bant/. Open a fucking History book sometimes, you piece of garbage.

How is that relevant to what i said? How is what you said relevant to anything being discussed here

>be king
>spend half of your overseas empire budget for the year on 1 (one) building
>don't make it tall as fuck
One job

If it was shitty engineering, it wouldn't have last 800. Yes it has structural problems, because stained glass panels were too big, so light comes in, but it stands still.
Now you posted one cathedral with problem, when there are shitloads of Cathedrals like Notre Dame, la cathédrale de Reims or la Cathédrale de Chartres which are wonders of engineering.
You wouldn't know of course because you probably never visited them.

I'm not fucking OP

If you aren't hiding, saging, reporting every single feels post you come across, you're not doing enough to stop this hammer from falling.

>they will never rebuild the spires

Does anyone else find western cathedrals to be way, Way, WAY to "geometric?"

When I look at the giant spires or bell towers, I'm not immediately drawn to the idea of "God," rather I think about "mathematics," "engineering," "scholasticism," etc. I find the circular shapes of mosques or natural shapes of buddhist temples to be way more appealing. Cathedrals are just too.. rigid, I suppose.

I kinda like em.

i know that feel

You need to have the mind of a medieval person to understand. The construction of cathedrals spanned across generations. It was the place were the whole city would meet. Partaking in the construction was your gateway to heaven. This collective work of art was a catharsis for the culture of the times, with countless bestiaries of gargoyles and esoteric references carved in stone. Also cathedrals needed to be as awe-inspiring as the relics that were on display in the chapels. You had to build tall so you could have large windows to let light inside.

god made geometry the way it is, so...

Mosques are literally an hymn to geometry... I think you just prefer circles.

It's almost like most of these cathedrals were built by former crusaders with a hardon for sacred geometry.

Didn't something similar happen to the french pantheon?

>be ERE
>only begin to expand your architecture all over the empire proportionately
>fall to Turks
>Turks meme religious freedom, but don't allow you to build any new churches for ages
>never undergo renaissance
>all your best architecture is medieval, within the capital
>only select few examples left everywhere else

Its just the power of french engineering at work

What's with this meme? France invented Gothic architecture and spearheaded the industrial revolution. Other European countries can only wish they had our history of great buildings.

didnt Britain spearhead the IR?

Don't tell that to a dirty frog