Firefighting

Does anyone have any advice on how to get into firefighting? Any kind of routine changes or advice? I'm in UK but would appreciate any feedback.

Pls reply

I applied for the fire service at around 20, didn't get in. If you look on your councils website it should give you dates for the recruitment drive. Application is usually online and open to anyone.

I wouldn't keep your hopes up though, around 1000 people applied when I did. I managed to get down to the final 40 applicants but got no further. Apparently a lot of it is to do with racial diversity and opportunities etc, they have to be seen to take people from all backgrounds.

Good luck!

>find fire
>insult his mum
>punch him in the dick
>congratulations you are a firefighter

My area isn't recruiting at the moment and I'm almost 20 now as well. I am a darkie so I guess that could help, I could always act more ethnic than I am. Also come from a kinda shitty area.
Thanks for reply btw what are you planning to do instead?

Go down to the station and talk to people.

Me and the old man did that when I was 17. Started volunteering that summer. Good stuff.

I think you'll just have to wait till they recruit, I don't think you can just walk in and ask for an application form. Maybe try another area? A few people I spoke to at the drive said they were thinking about going to the London fire service instead as its larger. The money isn't great, I think back then (~2009) it was around £29k a year full time and qualified.

I was already a carpenter when I replied so I stuck with that for a few years and then got into signwriting. Looking back I'm sort of glad I didn't get in.

Might wanna buy a bunch of heavyass gear (like chainsaw chaps, weighted vest, whatever you can find that's a bitch to move around in) and some heavy as fuck battle ropes, maybe tie some weights onto it to make it ridiculously heavy, and do sprints and shit with it. Pretty much train so it's like you could weigh 400 pounds but still perform as proficiently as a freshman high school football player.

But also be able to do 1/2/3/4. Preferably 2/3/4/5.

Was planning on doing that
I live in MK so London isn't too bad, but I'd hate to commute, plus the housing prices a shit.
Is the pay really that bad though? I'm not sure how I could make much more. My results were pretty bad, and the only other skill I have is languages. Not sure how to leverage that into a career.
I wish I went sparky before sixth form.

Yeah that's a bit further than me, I'm in herts so about 30 mins from central London. I mean the money isn't bad once you're competent but the 3 or more years you're training it's pretty shit. I see the firefighters outside my local station with signs saying "would you run into a burning building for £27k a year?" Whenever they strike, So I guess that puts it a bit more into perspective. Would be a really interesting job though. It's never too late to get a trade like being a sparky as you just said mate, if you're 19 you still have a long time ahead of you to settle into something!

Kek more like 27k per fire, most firefighters do absolutely nothing and they know it, just play dominoes all day and polish their trucks

Currently training to go banemode, I remember running around in the fireman suit at 16. Felt like power armour.
>tfw just want to swing around that axe again

>nice dubs
The alternative would be a retail gig which pays peanuts. Thanks for the pep talk though I needed that. Got any more words of wisdom in getting into trades? I hear that Union stuff from America is pretty cosy, but I don't know of we have something similar over here.

CIA really likes to spend big.
$500 on a belt?

I could never be that foul. I'd just start chasing spray painters or get a second job
Spend big 2get big

No worries. I dunno man, I just think that having a trade means you at least have the opportunity to work for yourself and have an easier life. You can always spend a couple of years getting the paperwork then walk away from it. It's just good to know you have it to fall back on.

God speed and good luck MK user

Look up cancer rates in firefighters and join the police academy

Will definitely look into the trades. Thanks for the info Herts homie, hope you go fully Jesus on the carpenting!
Oh fugg

I wouldn't sweat it. The firemen I see in the UK are all middle age fatsos with a god complex when the most dangerous thing they attended in the last 10 years was the open bar retirement party for another old man

London Firefighter here, basic pay is around 34k a year including London weighting allowance. Overtime and duties at neighbouring stations will bump that up nicely though.

Got 3 sparkies on my watch alone, I'd advise you to get your trade before joining the fire service though. Although you get a lot of time off (4 on 4 off in London) it's a right ballache trying to book a training course in around the shit pattern as they usually require a certain commitment.

Got any questions feel free to ask. Have some oc donut for your time.

Shit I thought this thread got buried. If you're still here I was wondering what you thought of claims of cancer for firefighters? Also how the hell do I actually get into firefighting? What's a weighting allowance? I'm in Milton Keynes, which isn't too far from London but do you know what I should do in Bucks? How do 3 sparkies get on your watch, what do they all do?
I've tried the uniform on before and it was intense, but I don't have any experience.
That 4 on 4 off sounds like a dream right now.
Also I don't see a donut but that scenery looks lush.

>how to get into firefighting

Know someone already in the department that can get you in.

Otherwise, you literally might as well just give up.

Thinking of setting myself on fire to get networking

Pls come back friend

unfortunately this is the truth. it's all who you know even where I live. (central texas) I passed the physical with flying colors and my written was passed with 83% and someone below me who passed the written with about a 70% got accepted.

arrogant little fuck boy too. not really physically able either

sorry OP it's hard.

LMFAO THAT PICTURE
>FUCKING 1000 DOLLAR OUTFIT
Looks like shit you could buy from an outlet for less then 50 dollars everything together hahahahha

worst is 102pct higher rate of testicular cancer but that just means I could hop on test and cut em right of
> gg cancer

Ahoy, LFB guy back again.

Yeah, firefighters have a higher rate of cancer - you work with a lot of carcinogenics when dealing with fires and until recently (relatively speaking) use of breathing apparatus was generally looked down upon. Nowadays, although it sounds daft, there's a lot of h&s guidance in place so I'd say no modern Firefighter really has to expose themselves. A lot still do, myself included, but sometimes when you've got shit like car fires and burnt cooking you just can't be assed to mess around with a BA set.

Problem is there's not a lot of recruitment going on at the moment in the county brigades. Up until recently a lot of people who lived outside of London applied to work in London as LFB is still one of the few brigades that recruits whole time on a regular basis. Unfortunately, they've changed conditions for joining the LFB which means you need to have lived within the M25 for 3 years or be joining from the armed forces to be eligible. No more people living down the line and commuting in. I know East Sussex had a drive recently, but your best bet is to keep an eye out on social media and on the website for your local Brigade as it all seems to be done via that now. Most Brigades are also pushing for political correctness so they often hold special taster days for ethnic minorities and females if you fit that bag. Lastly, a lot of County brigades use a retained system - that's usually a good way to get your foot in the door if you start out as retained and then get preference if they ever do full time recruitment.

Weighting allowance is basically the Governments way of saying we appreciate the cost of living in London is extortionate, so we'll give you a little extra money. Works out at like 4-5k a year which sounds nice, but doesn't really scale with the cost of living in the city.

Sparkies are electricians. 75% of firefighters part time and most have a background trade. I'll continue in the next post.

If you're going to be a Firefighter, you're pretty much guaranteed to pick up a second job along the line. Usually there are a few people on station who are looking for people to help them out with their own stuff, but a trade is the way to go for serious money. As said, if you want a trade I'd advise doing all your learning and qualifying before joining a Brigade.

The greenland is just a park in South London. Every summer you're guaranteed to spend a good few days dealing with grass fires.

That makes a lot of sense when you think about the carcinogens.
I do look pretty ethnic but I can't in good conscience accept that pc bs. The local bucks website is dry at the moment but I'll def stay keep an eye on it. I was planning on being an electrician so I guess I'll head to college first :( like a mug i thought the sparkies were doing electric work on the fire job!
I'm guessing all of the training is given by the brigade before starting. Do you reckon I have to get a drivers license? I've been putting it off.
Thanks for all the info mate, appreciate you coming back to reply.
>nice pics btw

Think most Brigades these days require a minimum of a regular driving license as it's now expected that all new recruits will become blue light drivers. Going to college first seems like a good idea - maybe look into seeing if they have any retained stations in your area as they'll let you get your foot in the door.

All training is given by the Brigade, but naturally knowing stuff and being able to do stuff (knots and lines etc) will make your life easier going through training. The course is designed to take a blank canvas and prepare you for being a Firefighter - realistically, most of your development and training will take place once you're posted to station.

Who is this high test beauty? Can feel the symptoms of my cold retreating just looking at her

Cheshire FRS is recruiting for wholetime right now bruh. First time in 6 years they opened it for recruitment...

Don't fucking apply tho because I already have.

I reckon I'll have a laugh during the prep, but the driving is gonna be a ballache though. You must feel awesome wearing that suit, are you on top of a house in that pic?

Damn that's harsh telling me about it, and then saying I should apply. I doubt they'd pick me over anyone else anyway I'm all of 175 pounds soaking wet lol.

Fuck Cheshire is too far away anyway.

Driving is actually a lot of fun, getting the LGV license was a ballache but the blue light course was awesome. Spend a week driving an unmarked car learning positioning and defensive/offensive driving and then you start tearing shit up on the appliance. For being a big old thing you can get some decent speed up in them.

Sounds cliché, but you do feel pretty much invincible when you've got your firegear (PPE) on. There exists a certain safety net that leads you to believe nothing can harm you, but it can and apparently when it does it's very difficult to get back on the horse. Doesn't help that the Brigade mentality generally is never "I can't/shouldn't do that".

Yeah, roof alight as a result of careless handyman. Sitting on the edge of an ALP knocking tiles down to check the extent of fire spread in the rafters. Pic related is me taken by some spotter on the ground at the same job.

Driving the big stuff sounds fun, but I can't even drive a car yet! I'm not immature enough to get reckless but wearing the firegear™ would get me buzzed. I remember wearing it in school, I felt ridiculous!
Looking at that pic of you I see why I'm drawn to this career. Something like firefighting would keep be engaged and passionate to actually do work.

It's an amazing job with lots of amazing people. You actually can finish your days work and feel like you made a difference to someone's life. At times I literally can't believe I get paid to do it. You'll never be rich, but when it comes to job satisfaction and enjoying what you do it's second to none.