My dad

My dad wants to go to the gym with me tomorrow, he's 51 years old, he's thin & has been active all his life because he goes to his private practice as a doctor all his life, but I just need to know, is there any precautions I should take for when he exercises?

SS+GOMAD

At least 2 scoops

just take it slow and start with LIGHT weights and be careful that he doesn't he get any injuries since they happen more easily at an old age and take much longer to heal or even heal at all

51? precautions?
fuck me, how young are you to be that ignorant?
My dads 61...rugby all his life...knees are fucked...big beer gut....can still bench 3 plate...91 year olds run marathons....
fuckin 12 year olds thinking 51 is near death and 16 year olds thinking its time to have kids fml

Kudos to your pops, man. But I'm not taking any risks with my dad. Better go in safe than go out sorry.

Any precautions you would take with a beginner lifter, 51 is still a pretty good age for a man who havent let himself go completely. It may take him longer to heal but overall he should be able to do anything you do with less weight if you teach him good form.

Don't let him squat or diddly, even with the bar he could hurt a joint at his age having not done lifting before. Have him do mostly dumbbell stuff and a few complex barbbell movements; more bodybuilding things

you stupid or something?
OP is right

you always need precautions you stupid fuck

you should not aim to be wheelchair bound at any age
50 is still kinda young and people can still enjoy life with 90

you certainly dont want a ticket to snap city
doesnt matter if its a high speed ticket or a fairy
you dont want to go to snap city EVER

>Male
>has an offspring
>51
>first time lifting
He's going to ego lift and hurt his lower back or some shit; some how break it to your dad that everybody starts weak as fuck and its not a big deal to be weaker than his kid.

51 is not that old, dude. You can worry when he is 70.

OP here.
Was thinking about this & I'm glad you mentioned it.
I'm not going to put him through these lifts due to their complexity. I'll first train his joints & muscles to be able to coordinate & fire properly, then some time later, when I feel his CNS is conditioned enough, I'll have him try them even with light weights before moving up.

Squat and diddly are not that scary dude holy shit, you sound like a soccer mom. If his dad is just using the barbell just like every other beginner should do and he is literally standing there next to his dad to check if his form is correct, there is no risk of injury. Unless OP is completely retarded and loads 3 plates for his old man then go drink some water or talk to people leaving the old timer to die alone under the iron.

OP, just make sure his form is good and the weight is compatible. Your dad is not an invalid you don't need to be so worried about it, you'll make him feel like shit if you're too careful.

>you don't need to be so worried about it, you'll make him feel like shit if you're too careful
yeah, you're right. I think I might worry a lot because he's the only family I've got left.
I'll try to let loose a bit & not be too worried.

Trust the old man, he fucking raised you. Plus he is a doctor isnt he? I'm sure he knows the importance of taking care while performing exercises, he is not a complete idiot. I'm sure he knows that risking injury is not a good idea. And even if he tries to ego lift to impress you or something, you're standing right next to him, just call him out on it.

hahaha I will, man. Thank you.

This. Tell him to take it easy. He might get the symptoms of exhaustion so hydration is kee

He'll benefit a lot from doing something like SS. However it's worth considering that older people in general (an untrained older people in particular) are a lot more sensitive to VOLUME than youngsters. The can still lift monstrous amounts of weight after proper training, just not as frequently or for as many sets.

Stick to the basic exercises. Start with 3 sets of 5 and absolutely no more than that as work weight. See how he handles that. If it seems like he's struggling with that, either drop workout frequency or total volume per workout.

lol my 56 year old mother squats and deadlifts

so you think a doctor is going to go in and snap his shit?
never heard of warm ups in his 51 years and 30 as a doctor?
no idea about muscles...
and you are asking if im stupid?

Yeah bro. Just throw him on some heavy squats, deadlifts, bench and Ohp without any training or knowledge.
Whether he's 51 or 15 you still need precautions before starting to weightlift you stupid fucking retard.

Be realistic you mong. Nobody with half an ounce of brain walks into a gym and tries to squat lmao 3pl8 without even so much as warming up first.Least of all a man who works in a profession that is as a whole HEAVILY biased against the idea of barbell training in the first place.

OP is presumably smart enough to provide some guidance too considering he took the time to make the thread anyway.