WW1 Books

What are some good books about ww1? Preferably ones wrote from the perspective of the soldier (e.g. Ernst Junger).

I've already read Storm of Steel, and have started Forgotten Victory but it's not really holding my interest.

pic related.

memoir of the entire war from the perspective from a tough as fuck French grunt. the Verdun chapter gave me nightmares.

This. Decent read though not quite as exciting as Storm of Steel.

Best book for the french perspective

Grave's autobiography, while not exactly the most informative of british accounts of the war, is certainly one of the most interesting.

"Now It Can Be Told" by British war correspondent Phillip Gibbs is pretty interesting, and the Kindle version is currently free.

"Old Soldiers Never Die" by Frank Richards is the memoir of an English enlisted man who survived four years in the trenches. I would recommend it highly.

"A World Undone" is the best possible introduction to WW1, in my opinion. The author is American, but gives a lot of attention to the German POV which is something that a lot of books omit. It covers the entire war in chronological order, but it also includes many "Background" chapters which cover topics which don't really fit into the chronological narrative very well, but which greatly increase the reader's understanding of the war. These "Background" chapters end up being some of the most interesting parts of the book; the cover topics like the Armenian Genocide, the Shell Crisis of 1915, the Bolsheviks, the Franco-Prussian War, Lawrence of Arabia, etc.

I really can't recommend the book highly enough. It's long, but that's to be expected for trying to cram a 5-year war into 1 book. The Audible version is also VERY good, best narrator I ever heard.

Someone make a virgin Remarque vs chad Jünger pic

T H E
G U N S
O F
A U G U S T

If you're looking for personal accounts, Gallipoli by Peter Hart is pretty good, although it draws on a lot of personal accounts across the whole campaign that it intersperses through a big-picture look instead of one single soldier's narrative.

Ring of Steel by Alexander Watson is also a pretty good look at the home front in Germany and Austria in WW1. There's practically no look at any real fighting, but I'd argue it's pretty important for understanding the war.

Definitely fake.

Have fun being a part of the 93%

It's real, I've been to that street, it's in Florence.

What does catto snack on

I thought Infantry Attacks by Erwin Rommel was pretty good. Some of it is gussied up since Rommel favored the honor in war, but he delivers the horror of ww1 cold and plain. It's pretty well written for a journal.

Ring of Steel definitely gets my recommendation, it brings you the home front experience for central Europe that is sort of naturally understood for the Entente powers by virtue of almost all WWI literature and media coming from them.

Thanks for the rec, want to read this but it's currently £14 :o

Maybe when the price comes down.

This also sounds pretty good, I think I'll read this next. Kind of want one book from each nation's perspective I guess, though the Western Front is the most interesting for me.

I've got to like chapter 3 of Forgotten Victory and it's getting mote interesting, as he's writing more about the war and it's causes rather than just the reaction to it over the years.

Get an underlooked front in this nigga
Eastern Front 1914-1917 by Norman Stone

>the Kindle version is currently free.
Nope, just checked.

Anything that covers WWI from the perspective of a general? I'm looking for something like pic related which I found very interesting

I fucking hate Remarque so fucking much

>Anything that covers WWI from the perspective of a general?

African Kaiser is basically that. The author botches up some nautical terms real good but otherwise it is a fun read. I found it pretty interesting, at least. There is an amusing anecdote about a group of Muslim soldiers from India, who mutiny against their British commanders. The cause for the mutiny was a rumor that Germans were actually Muslim, and the Muslim soldiers announced that they absolutely would not fight against fellow Muslims. Only after being shown a plate of German sausages did the soldiers come around to believing that Germans weren't Muslim after all. The book is filled with amusing stories like that.

this was insane shit...still regarded as one of the best examples of a guerilla warfare campaign in history.

Why?