Why do modern American military helmets look like the German Stahlhelm ? Was the Stahlhelm really that good?

Why do modern American military helmets look like the German Stahlhelm ? Was the Stahlhelm really that good?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Personnel-System-Ground-Troops-Helmet/dp/B00E7JRE7W
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_MAG
flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=108154&src=froogle&gclid=CjwKCAiAvf3RBRBBEiwAH5XYqPM6LaUA915ljDmMbdj_QUYZyqW_cUHdLjAIzGJIsHks6DIl8J6GZhoCVKgQAvD_BwE
amazon.com/Personnel-System-Ground-Troops-Helmet/dp/0764310348
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Why does everyone's military helmets look like the German Stahlhelm ?

Fixed

Yes

The PASGT offers superior protection from head injuries than a steel helmet. It also allows for easy use of a headset under the helmet, which the M1 didn't.

Here's a good book to look up at your local bookstore on the development of the PASGT helmet.

amazon.com/Personnel-System-Ground-Troops-Helmet/dp/B00E7JRE7W

That automatic rifle in OP's photograph seems to have borrowed quite a lot from German arms, as well.

>That automatic rifle in OP's photograph seems to have borrowed quite a lot from German arms, as well.

The design is Belgian actually

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_MAG

Its Belgian, and it borrows from several older designs, German and American.

Might as well dump my rare PASGT collection

Isn't the M60 based off of the MG42?

That's an M240, but yes the M60 incorporated some German designs as well.

The overall concept is borrowed from the Germans' use of the MG-42 but the M60 itself is considered a partial derivative of the M1941 Johnson. The United States actually turned offers from Germany to use a modified MG-42 (what became the MG3) out of a desire to avoid reliance on a foreign manufacturer.

The only thing that is borrowed is the idea of a GPMG in that photo

The design considerations for a steel helmet are completely different to modern ballistic resistant fibers, which frankly should be obvious but still needs stating every time we have this thread. Any resemblance between the stahlhelm and fiber helmets are coincidental.

Flatter helmets like the British MkIII "Turtle" and NVA M56, adopted from wartime tests, although having ease of manufacture as one of the design benefits, did test very well and probably represent something approaching peak effectiveness for steel designs.

No.

Did someone say 80s army???

That's the only one good thing at those subhumans got right and that was the stahlhelm.

MOAR

>Book costs $1500
Lmao

Seriously does that fucking thing come with a bookmark made of 24 karat gold?

>Seriously does that thing come with a bookmark made of 24 karat gold?
No, Jimmy.

The stahlhelm itself? Not really. Steel helmets are shit. But the general design is solid. It protects the ears and back of the neck a lot better than, say, a Brodie or M1 helmet.

are there only 12 copies in the world?

>priced more than the actual PASGT system (around $150 for vest and helmet without the plates)

Either the seller is an asshole or mistyped it because I got my copy for ten dollars at the closing sale of some hippie bookstore and most other sellers charge around $20.

flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=108154&src=froogle&gclid=CjwKCAiAvf3RBRBBEiwAH5XYqPM6LaUA915ljDmMbdj_QUYZyqW_cUHdLjAIzGJIsHks6DIl8J6GZhoCVKgQAvD_BwE

amazon.com/Personnel-System-Ground-Troops-Helmet/dp/0764310348

Weil ihr Schwuchteln es einfach nicht drauf habt.

Dieses uezs

Is that Rick Moranis?

Halt's Maul, Kartoffel

Weiß Deine Mama, dass du schlimme Wörter im Internet schreibst?

In every picture of artillery I've seen there's at least one shirtless guy

>Mama

Ok imma unleash my autism for a sec here
>Automatic rifle

It's either designated as an LMG (Light Machine Gun) or MMG (Medium machine Gun) (Depends if the country makes a big deal of the differences between 5.56-fed and 7.62-fed machineguns)

The weapon in question here is an M240B, which is an American adaptation of the Belgian FN Mag, which in turn takes a few inspirations from the Mg42 and BAR

Bump

I got it in color

aw shit it's a nod buggy