Pullups vs bent over rows?

Add power cleans if you want as well. I personally love pullups, but maybe Ill try rows to mix it up a little.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21068680
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I just do pull-ups or chin-ups and inverted rows.

I don't like the way standing rows feel on my back.

My lower back feels taxed enough from squats/deads that it impacts heavily on my ability to row standing.

BB rows are love.

BB rows are life.

Rows as main movement. Pull ups as an accessory.

I can't do a single pull up so I do rows to soothe my ego.

Chinups because they are better than pullups in every way, rows are too taxing on the lower back interfering with squats and deads and im too retarded to do power cleans.

Pendlay Row paired with following
>T Bar Row
>Close Grip Seated Row
>Overhand Pulldowns
>Chinups
>The Dead

Pullups are a better lats and biceps movement. Rows are better for the smaller upper back muscles. I kinda consider rows as an assistant lift to "finish up" the back with pullups and deadlifts covering pretty much everything.

I find that on deadlift day I struggle to do chinups.
I dont know if it's the grip or the bicep or just the fact the deadlift uses so many muslces
I do pendlays on DL day.
Might try pullups and see if they feel relatively easier

I prefer t-bar rows over everything else. Never got any good results from pull ups or barbell/DB rows.

I like doing super
setting weighted pull ups with rows

b-but mah real world applications

I do pullups, t bar rows, and bent over dumbbell rows. What else do I need to add for arms?

Why is everyone on this board a beginner.

Might have to stop leaving /plg/ ever Tbh

This

pull ups are best for lats
chins are best for biceps
rows are best for upper back

do all 3 if you're training for mass, focus on pull ups for strength

Chins actually have better lat activation than pullups do. It's not huge (unless you're out super-wide with your pullups), but its a thing.

I thought the closer your elbows are to being behind your back the more your lat is used due to the mechanical disadvantage of the bicep in that position

Not really. The lat usage is largely unrelated to bicep usage, being restricted by two different factors.

less biceps =/= more lats
if lats were compensating for lack of biceps involvement pullups would not be so much harder than chins

again with this shitter chin up meme

this meme is just spouted by egolifting faggots who are afraid of doing pullups and do chinups with incredible bad form and putting a shitload of weight that they can't handle

fucking shitters

not sure I get exactly what your saying
back on this, why would doing wide pull ups decrease activation? less rom?
yeah no

Partially its less ROM, mostly it's that the lats don't contract very well in that particular ROM and a lot of the work ends up falling onto the teres major instead. Kind of similar to how being at the extremes of hip/knee positioning can start shunting work onto the glutes rather than the hamstrings.

How come there is one guy calling everyone doing exercises he doesnt like fatass egolifters with shit form and such in every thread?

Is it some kind of meme or actually the same extremely autistic and salty guy every time?

can dumbbell rows be used to replace bent over rows?

maybe

yeah i can feel more lat activation (and strain) when i do chin ups or neutral grip pull ups.

pull ups still activate the lats, but they also seem to utilize a larger variety of back muscles than chins up or neutral grip.

Usually yes. The upside of DB rows is that they lend themselves better to forms that don't stress the lower back as much (hard to do bench/chest supported BB rows unless you've got a cambered bar and a high bench, for example) and they give you more freedom with elbow positioning and shit.

BB rows can have better carryover to certain lifts, but it rarely matters for most people.

Chin ups are actually not.

You recruit to much bicep that takes away from the main pulling muscle the back.

Do pull ups and then curls if you care about hitting your arms pleb.

Thanks, that was super helpful!

My bottom line is to keep doing both, but put more emphasis on chins seeing as lats are a primary focus and you can only really see the teres muscles when you take off your shirt.

weighted chins/pull ups

No you really dont and studies prove it.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21068680

>"The pectoralis major and biceps brachii had significantly higher EMG activation during the chin-up than during the pull-up, whereas the lower trapezius was significantly more active during the pull-up."

Quit bro sciencing this place up.

rip sweet lumbar

Forgot to add what you dont feel thats all in your head.

Both work the lats the same the green text is the only difference.

>dude is talking about lats
>posts study link that doesn't talk about lats

See my second post idiot.Learn to read.

Also latissimus dorsi (117-130%) what the fuck it mentioned lats!

You are dumb very very dumb.

word brotha

rows are gay as fuck. just do weighted pull ups and deadlifts

If I have absolutely no way to do pullups at home, is there any exercise for lats that I can replace pullups with? Could I do rows with dumbbells? I only have dumbbells...

I can't install a pull-up bar in my apartment (confirmed with management), my apartment's gym is crap and doesn't have a pullup bar, and there are no decent gyms/trees/random bleachers nearby.

You can get one of those pull up bars that you attach on top of your door frame.

I've thought of this, but when I reached up to check my door frames, I found they were made of incredibly cheap wood. The frames aren't even properly put together; the top boards are separate pieces, and are visibly loose...I can wiggle them with my hand. So those kinds of bars are out.

why not just hammer the frame with nails or add a nice, thick wood on the door frame. that's what I did in my apartment when it had no door frame

go to the gym

if you have chairs with like 2 or 3 pieces of wood for back support stack them up then grab one of the back support pieces and do pull ups with those. i did when i was poor fag and it worked just be sure to duck tape the life out of it or youre gonna get hurt

Rack chins.

the idea has merit...

Take your dyel ass to the guys who popularised that move and see what they say about 'merit'.

>all this hate on chinups

You.are all fucking retarded. Chinups don't use less lats, simply more biceps, which means you can either do more reps or add more weight. You'll fatigue both more and will get an overall better workout from doing chinups instead of pull ups.

But if you want to have noodle arms, by all means, continue doing pullups.

Neutral grip pull-ups master race.

i don't see anything there saying that pull-ups utilize the lats more than chin-ups or vice versa. can you point me to where that is stated?

Are chest supported rows better than barbell rows?