Extreme Dieting

Veeky Forums I am curious to see if anyone tried to drop fat doing an extreme diet. I'm talking along the lines of 1100-1500 calories with most mainly coming from protein. I was thinking this would be run for about 2-3 weeks then taper up to maintenance over the next few weeks. Would still be lifting during this whole time frame but would drastically cut the volume and slightly cut the intensity. Also will be doing tabata/HIIT style sprints for this course as well.

I would like to try this for my own situation but I was curious if anyone knows how it will affect strength after the maintenance period?

6 ft 190 lb trying to drop to 175 lb range

Other urls found in this thread:

powerliftingtowin.com/rapid-fatloss-handbook-before-and-after-results-review/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment
google.com/search?q=lyle rapid handbook pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Only thing I would recommend is to be realistic with your goals. Dieting is a marathon not a sprint. Week in week out. If you start too low you will burn out quicker. That's why it's best to cut on as many calories as possible and adjust once you hit a plateau. Also take into consideration how it fucks with your metabolism. If your your calories super low, your body will adapt and you will put on crazy weight once you make your calories to their normal levels again. Don't make drastic changes to diet. Do something you can stick to long term. Think of it as a lifestyle change not just a lose fat quick fix diet. Hope this helps.

do you think by slowly tapering my calories back up I could avoid that crazy regain? Ive read of people doing diets like this and they seem to work although its hell. Im thinking if I run it for 2-3 weeks I wouldnt need to worry about dropping calories back down.

see lyle mcdonald rapid fat loss protocol

thank you so much, any experience with this? I plan to read it now

Why be extreme?

Its going to be winter anyways, run a 1000-500 cal deficit and take it easy.

Yes, it works. Once you dip below 15%bf you may need to change strategy.

extreme because I dont see the point in cutting for 3 months when I can get the same results in 3 weeks of hell. Look at it like this, lift while on a deficit gives maybe what 1 or two PRs per month given that its hard to recover on a deficit, so within 3 months getting to my goal weight ill barely PR. But if I cut down my volume and intensity for 3 weeks then do 3 weeks of maintenance within another month I feel ill be able to get PRs faster at a lower BF

Cool, do you know if I am going to expect any rebound weight? As in if I want to drop 10 lb of fat should I aim for 20 lb of total weight gain so I net around 10 lb at the end?

The bigger the deficit, the faster you'll lose fat but you'll also lose more lmb, strength, and generally feel like shit.

What you're basically describing is psmf, which is really for either deathfats who need to quickly lose fat for surgery or frauds, who don't lose much lbm because of the juice. If you're one of the latter, I'd recommend a cutting compound with your test base, like Anavar or lower dose tren.

Like the other user said, you need to be realistic in your goals. Memeing aside, go and read the sticky again, and look for the part on crash dieting and instant results mindset. There's a reason most of us cut over a longer time frame with a smaller deficit.

10lb sounds like a stretch, but if you really want to know with any accuracy then get a DEXA or other body comp thing 7-10 days into the cut.

If you don't lose strength stats, eat high protein and periodically have "free" meals, refeed, and take breaks then crash dieting works just as well as steady dieting, with the bonus of being done faster so you can get back to actual training.

Thats exactly why I wanted to try this. My biggest fear is losing strength honestly. Im going to focus on rapid fat loss protocol by mcdonald so hopefully thats the most optimal way to do this, pray for me Veeky Forums

Go read the sticky

It'd healthier to do slightly extremely cardio instead.
Eat under of course, but do more cardio.

did PSMF for 28 days.

wanted to kill myself or just sleep every moment after the first week.

realized i didn't have the strength outside of work and the 2 full body workouts i'd have to force myself to do to otherwise attempt suicide. the workouts were literally 3 rep range 80% max sets on everything so you don't lose much mass and strength.

sex drive drops, only really wierd shit turned me on.

overall 10/10 if you don't mind the psychological damage and if you're man enough to handle it.

1500 is not extreme. It's pretty damn low unless you're a woman or manlet, but not extreme.
Would NOT go lower than this. Maybe 1300 at the very lowest.

I'm 12 days into it and only feeling a bit lethargic at work, though squats and DLs are much more tiring.

yeah mentally ill be fine, I only plan for 2-3 weeks, any more than that would drop me too low. I plan to do a modified SS with around 80% of my maxes or so on a 3x3 rep scheme

Im 6ft 190 lb aiming for 180-175, what would you recommend then? I was thinking between 6-8 calories per lb of bodyweight

are you lowering your weights for squats and DL? how much weight have you dropped so far?

1500-1600.

TDEE for 6ft 170 is around 2k calories not counting working out.
BMR is probably like 1800.

So 1500 is again the lowest you'll want. Personally I'd do 1700 for 2 weeks, lots of cardio. See where you get with that.

or just literally intake 180g of protein and take a multi-vit. you'll hit the target weight quicker.

it's not psmf if you're literally not doing the modified fasting part.

oh and drink a lot of water since you're carb depleted your body apparently wants to not hold any of it and you piss a lot. like a lot.

okay good call, Ill try to aim for bodyweight in protein and cap myself at 1500-1700 range. Should I even worry about carb cycling?

mfw my maintenance is some guy's extreme diet

Started at -10% from previous 5RM on squat and DL, more to test the waters than anything, now up to about -5% which I consider acceptable. Other lifts are basically the same. Dropped frequency on a fullbody program from 3x/week to every 3 days.

could you run me through what you're doing with diet, like macros and calories. Also starting weight and height and weight now if you can, really interested to see how its going. You got me excited saying only -5% loss

Having a high carb diet means better cardio in my opinion.
But I don't know. I'm 5'11 210lbs right now.

I've had 1700 a day calorie intake since I started and haven't stalled at losing weight, all the way down from 324lbs. I imagine it should continue, but of course it has been slower.

wow good job man thats a crazy change. Are you lifting weights also or just focusing on loss?

Lifting and cardio.
Unfortunately no matter what I do I'll always been an ugly disgusting fuck because of the loose skin. Surgery simply isn't an option.

Regardless, I've stuck with high carbs and high protein. Never had to worry about feeling "tired" like a lot of people do when they seem to cut a lot.

I started cutting a week ago and so far I've lost about 4 pounds from it.
>5'9" Manlet Lord 226.change last Thursday
>Weighed this morning 222.2
>Fat entire childhood/ high school due to enablers.
>Find fat disgusting and chubsters like me almost to that level.
Doing 1700-1900 relax cut but that's still almost half my required maintenance calories. Oh well wish me luck bros that I keep on it and don't give up.

Calories are almost exclusively chicken breast, plain nonfat greek yogurt, and beef jerky. Also have salads and vegetables dressed with vinegar and salt. Protip: get a good balsamic vinegar and super coarse salt. A splash of balsamic will add max 30kcal to a salad or to vegetables in a pan and you will appreciate the slight sweetness. 1000 kcal/day from major macros, 100-200 more from others.

Exhaustion and recovery are your limiting factors. Drop frequency and volume before dropping weight. Cardio will make recovery even more difficult, especially if it's intense and not steady state.

I am pretty high bodyfat though, like 25% at 5'9". Down 10lbs right now, which after ~5lbs immediate water loss sounds about right for a couple weeks of a 2000 deficit. I picked this over a couple DNP cycles because I didn't like the risks of that drug. If I cannot maintain lift intensity I will drop the crash diet and just accept doing the time.

I did PSMF from 140KG down to about 90KG, It was hell, but oh so worth it.

Been hovering around 85-90 because i've been lifting for 7 months now so i'm still losing fat but making dem dere gainz.

would you recommend doing cardio as well? are you down 10 lb including water weight? I think you know what youre doing, Im going to finish that mcdonald book tonight and hopefully it will give me direction like what you have written

I see, with time it will all get better

>if you don't lose strength stats

Good luck with that in a ~2000 cal deficit

I gave up on cardio during the cut because I prefer to do HIIT which is absolute madness on PSMF.

losing strength during the diet and maybe a week or two after im expecting, but im talking how its going to look a month after.

>how it's going to look a month after

Again, you've got the wrong mindset. I'm assuming you've got a social thing in a month or two, so you're in a hurry to look good before then. You're hard-wiring yourself for failure, and when you haven't magically lost 15lb with no lost muscle for the party/ball/whatever, you're going to feel shit and be shy/withdrawn, which is a lot worse than having a bit more fat than you'd like.

15lb in a month is unrealistic if you don't want to look like shit at 175lb 6'. Cutting that hard will only work if you pretty much don't eat and lose a lot of lbm, use dnp, or amputate a limb. Around 2lb per week is reasonable, and will mean you keep most of your size/strength.

When we talk about a loss of strength, it also refers to a loss of lbm, seeing as strength and size are pretty closely related in natties.

I am looking into both sides of this here. I stumbled upon a review of this diet on powerlifting to win powerliftingtowin.com/rapid-fatloss-handbook-before-and-after-results-review/
and im watching the review now. So its definitely possible that youre correct. I have no social reason to be doing this, I look fine right now, I just want to hurry up and lean out so I can maintain for a little bit then bulk up again as soon as possible

Try eating 0 calories a day.

People have fasted on purpose throughout history, Jesus fasted for 40 days in a desert.

In all seriousness fasting is probably the quickest natural way to lose fat.

You go into starvation mode and you will lose fat really quickly. For the most part your body eats it's own fat before it does muscle.

99% sure this is b8 but if it isn't you should read the fucking sticky

Is PSMF just keto with low calories and high protein?

jesus... how long did it take you to lose 50kg? PSMF is hell.

the galeniko-noone method is basically PSMF with a cruise dose of testosterone. that should be easier than doing PSMF natty, since the test will help with retaining LBM as well as recovery so you can work out more frequently.

NO CARBS, NO FATS

PROTEIN AND METH ONLY

FINAL DESTINATION CMMMOOOOOONNNNN

are there PDF's of that? I never find them

also what lyte mcdonald books should I buy?
interesting on learning beyond just eating at a deficit of 200-500.
Don't mind getting the books if they're physical and not digital.

Good work, user. Just make sure you do the most important thing that fat people usually don't do: stay on it.

Good luck.

shit, been doing it for a year now

kill_me.jpg

I did this and became anorexic, ate around 1000 cals a day, fasted a lot (if I went over the 1000cals I would fast 24hours after). Lost around 80 pounds (242 to 160, I'm 6'4 btw).

You will have no energy, no motivation to do anything besides working/school/working out. I remember that I would reject every invitation to parties and social activities. It sucked.

Eventually I broke down and became bulimic (without the puking part, just a lot of excercise to make up for it, and fasting ofcourse).

TL;DR = You can develop a disordered pattern of eating with crash dieting, just try to take it slow, I would only worry about fast results if you're actually in a competition or a job where you have to look your absolute best.

I've done that for about 3 months and have gone from 315lbs to 250lbs. Only started doing cardio a few days ago so basically lose it all with just diet.

So if Im 170cm 85kg. And I lift 3 times a week and everyday do 30mins of moderate cardio.
What do I put in the TDEE calculator? Light or moderate exercise?
If I put moderate it says my TDEE is 2700kcal, that cant be right?

>So if Im 170cm 85kg. And I lift 3 times a week

Literally me, except I got down to 81kg.

How many kcal are you eating?

Had the same, you'll also crave extremely calorically-dense food and binge on them, and you will judge people based on their eating,i used to do 5 days of 500-600kcal, almost only proteins and on the weekend i would binge on everything i could lay my hand on
>No sex drive, no enthusiasm for anything, angry all the time, disordered sleeping (i used to wake up 4-5 times during the night)

I did this for 2-3 months then i had a 10000kcal binge on a cousin's wedding, i fasted for 2 days after that and understood it was not the way i wanted to reach my goal and jumped on IIFYM/IF after that, dieting never felt so easy than now

you are cutting hard for one year?
thats not good mate

idk. When I went onto myfitnesspal, It told me to stay under ~6500kJ. Nowadays I just do intermittent fasting. I don't count the calories, because my meals are usually this:

Chicken breast
Spinach
Brocolli
Cottage Cheese
Avocado

Sometimes egg, or sometimes tuna, too. And skim milk.

ALWAYS sedentary. Maybe light at most depending what your goals are.

Fuck are you me? (same guy you responded 2)

Yeah, basically. Then RFL is that plus cheat meals and refeeds.

Well i read the Minnesota starvation experiment report, and it seems like every crash diet have the same results on human, it's basically pic related en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

Yes,
google.com/search?q=lyle rapid handbook pdf

I didn't have strong cravings, but I also used EC (just one dose in the morning) to reduce hunger.

I see, thanks.

even when bulking?
can u explain why?

It will give you a basis you can reevaluate later based on your weight fluctuations

Because calculators aren't accurate. They're meant to be a guideline.
What you should be doing is using a few calculators at sedentary/light, finding the average, and trying that out for ~2 weeks. Then based on your weight gain/loss, recalculate yourself what you need to do.

Try to do minimal calculations unless you had something drastic happen.

Thanks, this helped.
Sometimes when I see my weight hasn't gone down I will feel slightly disheartened especially as I think I have followed a good diet and exercise regime, but you're right.

It's a marathon not a sprint.

ok thanks

I'm on a pretty extreme diet right now.
I eat 1000-1100 kcal a day.
Things I'm eating:
Tuna
Cottage cheese
Spinach
Broccoli
Pickled cucumber
Whey protein powder

I drink about 6 liters a day, about 1/3 of that is broth.
Supplements other than whey are:
Omega 3 (10g ed)
Multivitamin
Creatine mono (4 scoops cmon)
Yohimbine
Caffeine

I only eat solid foods every other day, mostly whey.
Also IF 20:4
Shit is hard but pretty much my last chance in getting the job I want.

Lifting 3 times/week
Cardio is possible right now and I am walking around 10km every day in the morning after taking the yohimbine and caffeine.
Good thing is I once had considerable gains, eventhough I'm in a deficit I am still making progress on my lifts.