Arnold, Reg Parks, Ronnie Coleman...

Arnold, Reg Parks, Ronnie Coleman, Frank Zane and literally every known bodybuilder thought the pull-over was as important as the bench press as a chest exercise. It also hits the lats.

Why is it so uncommon these days?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=dumbbell pullover expand rib cage
exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/BBPullover.html
youtube.com/watch?v=iXoBYmpeh9A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most BBers thought it was important because people believed it literally enlarged the ribcage. It fell out of use largely because its awkward as shit to do properly and isn't so far superior over other options as to be worth the effort in most cases.

>literally enlarged the ribcage

wat

Other options being? What are some substitutes today?

A huge ribcage and stomach vacuums were the aesthetic ideal is what he meant. Mostly when you do it laying at 90° (ass and head hanging off) on a bench do you feel a lot of tension in the ribcage. There was some info circulating in the modern times however that it only worked while a part of the ribcage was still somewhat soft (during teenage years) and the bone would then proceed to harden up and thats the ribcage shape you would then have for the rest of your life.

However OPs pic just looks like an unnecessary and inefective lat exercise, if anything.

I like it as an opposite motion to squats but it's awkward as fuck

forgot muh pic

That's complete bullshit. No one said that ever and you are a lying bastard unless you have proof that someone actually believed that bs...

Also, pull-overs are still a good alternative to pull-ups if you don't have a bar.

People used to believe that pullovers (particularly pullovers performed with a particular style of breathing during the lift) would result in a bigger ribcage/chest. It doesn't work that way, but food + chest/lat movements will tend to give you bigger chest measurements so the idea stuck around for longer than you'd expect. That's the original reason the 20rep squat program has pullovers following up the main squat set. Nowadays they keep it because light pullovers are pretty good to do when you're too gassed to do anything heavy right that minute.

If you've got access to one, the pullover machine is one case where the machine tends to be better than free weights as it removes a lot of the issues with awkwardness and shit. Other than that the straight-arm pulldown is essentially the same thing, again without the positioning weirdness (although it does have kind of a weight limit, though you're unlikely to ever run into it).

>pull-overs are still a good alternative to pull-ups if you don't have a bar

Dont go full retard. The pull up is a superious compound that works your half your back, shoulders, press and biceps. Pull-over is like biceps curls compared to pull ups.

>lmgtfy.com/?q=dumbbell pullover expand rib cage

>pull-overs are still a good alternative to pull-ups

who bullshitting now, bitch

Not him, but I have a condition with my ribcage, and when I was a teenager my doctor told me I should get that fixed asap before it's too late, because when you grow out of your teenage years the ribcage will stay the same, or something. I don't remember his exact wording

fuck my ribcage looks like that and i'm tiny. always thought it was stupid didn't know some people strived for a protruding chest.

Go read some of the really old bodybuilding material. Hise is the guy its mostly associated with but it wasn't an uncommon belief.

That's just fucking spooky.

I'll incorporate it, but in ppl should I do it push or pull? I'm thinking push to match chest and tris, even though it is called pullover

it's mostly lats

exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/BBPullover.html

Because people are now obsessed with complex routines rather than the basic, OCD calorie counting, macro dieting, falling for memes, don't do X do Y, bulk and cut diets, get mass fast, SS, GOMAD, PPL.
No one really does the basics anymore.

Zane attributed the pullover for optimal chest development and the development of his serratus, my gyms pretty oldschool (pakistan), i see a lot of people do this exercise and the routines are based on the oldschool 70's style of BB, which was popularized in Pakistan thanks to Zane, Ferigno, Colombu and Shwarzenneger

Winrar.

Now it's all 'muh science' and reading about optimal lifting instead of lifting

youtube.com/watch?v=iXoBYmpeh9A

Exactly, less people are actually lifting the weight, their doing so and so's method, PPLxAbBaxSSxGOMAD Curls and Rippletits crossfit back lunge squats.