/running/ general

Sprinting for muscle gain edition

>Sprinting: The Purest, Most Powerful Physique-Shaper
bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm

>Running for Fitness: free online resource that contains some good general information on running benefits, getting started, gear, tips for female or old or very young runners, nutrition, injuries, different running workouts, designing training schedules, and race tips.
runningforfitness.org/book

Running shoes are fitted very specifically to take into account factors such as gait, pronation, weight, and running surface.
acsm.org/docs/brochures/running-shoes.pdf
roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp?cm_re=hp-_-left_1-_-shoe_dog

Other urls found in this thread:

bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-whats-the-best-form-of-hiit.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Sprint For A Six Pack
>Want to know a secret? Every time you lift your leg in the air while sprinting, you're working your abs.

bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-whats-the-best-form-of-hiit.html

just started running this summer just bought a smart watch.
it says i
burned 367 cal
distance 3.87 mi
avg hear rate 137 bpm
avg pace 15'45 mi

can someone post there info so i can get a gauge of if this is even close to what a normal human is supposed to be capable of or if i'm just unhealthy

Got the pre-marathon race jitters. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow when the race starts.

Also: hill sprints.

>15'45 mi

15 minutes per mile?

Also, what's your resting heartrate according to your smart watch? Does it seem accurate - do the old pulse count and compare it to your tracker to see how closely it matches (when at rest).

About 100cals a mile is reasonable. Heart rate wise that also makes sense - certainly you should expect it to rise quite considerably. Being 2x your resting rate doing activity is normal, 2x + to 3x is normal when really working out.

Your pace is pretty bad. Did you walk/power walk during the run? Or did you have to wait for a bunch of crosswalks?

A pretty normal mile pace is 10 mins/mile. I don't know your fitness level but maybe you're trying to run longer distance too soon.

A 15 minute mile isn't good user; I'm not trying to be rude but a good pace is 7-8 min/mi. The most important part is whether or not you enjoyed running tbqh

I decided to train my sprint when I become able to jog for 20 kms.

I really want to do half a marathon sometime in my life. Not interested in full marathons, I like jogging, but doing it for 1+ hours is fucking boring.

did running for a while with sprints at the end of sessions, feelt like shit

>really bad shape since forever, never liked running
>the longest recent run I did was about 2.4km before running out of breath

>wake up in the morning
>feel like running
>do 5k for the first time in my life

wat

Story time /run/
>never ran more than a 10k in my life
>sign up for a half marathon
>set a goal time of 2:20
>been training since may
>had to take several weeks off here and there due to injury
>never gave up
>just finished last long run before taper (pic related)
>holy shit i just squeezed in under 2 hours something i didnt think was possible
>stoked as fuck about it

we're all gonna make it bruhs

Have fun with those shin splints for the next couple of days :^)

Happened to me too second time I tried to run after not being active for a while. First day I couldn't even around the block.

I was so disappointed in myself and said fuck it I'll try again in two days. Then I ran for more than an hour and was probably the only time I ever got runner's high.

Nice man. My first half was around 2:20:00. My legs were rekt for a few days but the second half I did I was good the next day.

I don't know what it is but "just doing it" really works for running. I would always end my runs after about a mile and said fuck it one day and ran 1.8 miles. I took that mentality further and just ran for 3 miles the other day.

i run 3k two times a week. theres some hills on the route and do hill sprints, as many reps as i can handle

As though that's enough distance to do anything. He probably gained weight during that run.

yea my legs felt cooked about the 8-9 mile mark in my training but started doing cross training and hills to strengthen them and now they feel pretty good

my normal hear rate is 82 rite now. i was on a park track & was just trying to keep my heart rate above 124 so i walked than ran rinse repeat. i would run it would go up to around 180 than i would slow to about 130 then go again

You should be walking a mile in that time, your doing something wrong.

It's all mental. Your body will do anything you ask it to, it's all in your head that stops you. You had the right mindset and that's what made the difference. Keep up the good work.

>Your body will do anything you ask it to,
Lol try telling your body to squat 1500 pounds and see what happens

That's bullshit

shin splints pls go and stay go

>He fell for the "distance running kills gains" meme.
Why do sprinters act like you get get huge and still run distance?

Same. I used to think I wanted to aim for a marathon but a half marathon is enough.

>resting heart rate is 82
Keep up with the running. You need this. There's a lot of benefit that will come from staying in about the 130-160 range. If you're going to go above 180, do it as a sprinting workout.

Highlight of this morning's run was ascending a large hill to the highest point in my (admittedly very flat, midwestern) city in the pouring rain. Fucking amazing feeling.

since we all know running long distance is catabolic how do I mainly shed fat while keeping my muscle gains

I read somwhere that a daily slow pace for like 30min is good enough but what do you guys think

Not everyone desires to look like a pleb

Make sure to get enough protein.

for some reason even when jogging i can stay between 130-160 it goes rite up to 180-190.
it might just be that i'm small and chubby 5.3 156lb

fucking sprinting almost kills me

it's not that it kills gains by itself, it's that it kills time. if you train for really long distances, you're gonna have 2+ hours running sessions multiple times a week. I'm not a fucking NEET, if I invest that much time in running I'm not gonna have time for weights.

>felt light pain after running on wednesday
>go to the cardiologist today
> blood presure is 154/75

wtf?? I'm not even fat

So get only as big as you want. If you like sprinting, that's fine, but it's BS to tell people that you turn into a skeleton if you run distance. All you have to do is eat enough and lift like you should be doing anyway.

>you're gonna have 2+ hours running sessions multiple times a week
only if you want to be competitive for marathons and ultras

It comes with practice and running economy improvement. A lot of people just starting out will either try to slow way down or outright walk if their heart rate gets too high.

Phil Maffetone is one of the guys who has written a lot about using low heart rate training to develop good running if you want to read more about it.

35 posts in and nobody discusses on what the best pace is to stay lean

To the Veeky Forums runners here let me know the following:
1. what heartrate
2. what pace(distance/time)
3. frequency
4. daily timing(how many hours pre lifting or post for example)
5. how much increase in food

I really disagree with the assumption that you have to be NEET to find the time. I'm working an average of ten hours overtime each week, but I find it easy to fit in 50 miles per week (should take less than ten hours at the most liberal estimate) and lift for a bit less than one hour three times a week. That's less than 13 hours out of your 112 waking hours leaving you about 100 hours to do everything else.

Of course, if you want to get absolutely massive, you have to put in more time than I do. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not really a big guy. That being said, I don't look anorexic, and you could easily put in half the running time that I do and still get good results.

Again, I'm obviously not big, but consistency does (relatively) a lot over the years.

>not posting the topless asian grill

1. This depends entirely on what type of running you do. If you sprint, your HR is gonna be a lot higher than if you go for long distance. Both can be a good tool for staying lean
2. See above
3. I really like going 5 days per week, but 6 is a lot more common for people who want to put in higher mileage.
4. Depends on which type of running you do. If you're going slow, you can probably have running and lifting closer together because you aren't burning through as much of your glycogen stores. If you sprint, leave more time between the two and try to eat a meal.
5. 100Cal per mile is usually a good estimate for distance running. I assume it's more for sprinting, but I can't tell you more without bullshitting.

>If you sprint, your HR is gonna be a lot higher than if you go for long distance. Both can be a good tool for staying lean
yeah but sprints would buttblast my regular training so I think I will be do regular slow pace running

My main goal is staying lean while adding some cardio gains as a bonus. I was thinking about running for like 30min every morning, I lift in the evenings

She's intense. The canoeing trip was a day after we finished our first triathlon.

>you're gonna have 2+ hours running sessions multiple times a week
Butthurt "sprinter" confirmed. I run 4x/week. My schedule is:

>Monday: 3 miles
>Wednesday: Speed work/800 repeats + hill sprints
>Friday: 3-5 miles
>Saturday: Long run 12+ miles.
That's not 2+ hours multiple times per week. Continue the sprinter stupidity. Thank goodness you're a rare minority.

I do add sprints to my fitness routine on the off days. So it's usually like 2 times a week. A short stupid story

>legs day
>decide tomorrow I want to rest, no sprints
>this means i gotta sprint the same day as my legs day
>go for it on the evening
>step up on the track
>mind set is set
>start
>sprinting is fucking hilarious after training legs the same day
>i actually run and laugh at my legs pain and exhaustion
>didnt even finish my 100 m after I turned back and went home

That might be harder in practice than it sounds. 30 minutes every day is doable, but you might want to consider having a rest day or two in there. Most people who run every day will have some days where they only go one mile and other days when they go longer.

You'll still improve if you do that, but it can get really hard to stick to after a couple months.

I understand, thanks

>1. what heartrate
This is individual based on weight and age.

>2. what pace(distance/time)
Whatever challenges you but allows you to continue.

>3. frequency
Depends on your goals.

>4. daily timing(how many hours pre lifting or post for example)
Whatever works for you. Many suggest lifting then running, but I prefer running then lifting since running is an excellent warm-up and I always do better lifts if I run first.

>5. how much increase in food
Depends on your goals. Cutting or bulking?

tl;dr--whatever works best for you. Experiment.

3 miles is nothing though

I really don't think taking such an adversarial approach is appropriate or necessary. Some people just don't like distance, and their favorite part is 400m or less. There's nothing wrong with that.

What race do you train for? That looks like a 5k plan to me, but I never know for sure.

user is correct.

3 miles is three more than no miles. If that's what gets you out the door for 52 weeks, that adds up to 156 more miles than skipping the day.

>showing he knows nothing of long distance training

>running 12+ miles for a 5k
Are you sure you do all ultramarathons you've claimed you've done?

According to my sports watch I never do less than Tempo training when I'm running. One time I tried to run at a 10min/mile pace for a few miles for some low intensity work but it felt ridiculously slow and I might as well have been walking.

What is Endurance/Overdistance training? Walking?

>Implying we couldn't spare two more hours after 8 hour arm workouts.

If you're serious about your 5k time you'll definitely be running 12+ miles

Here's the finisher's mug I got from the Voyageur 50 last year. I was a bit over 10 hours, so not really a good time, but not terrible.

Some 5k runners will run as many as 90mpw. A 5k is almost entirely aerobic, so runs over 12 miles have their place in some 5k programs. If you think I'm belittling you, you shouldn't I happen to think 5k is a very fun distance.

Endurance/Overdistance is more on the mid to long run range of things. It might involve walking, and sometimes you will have to run slow enough to feel like you're basically walking. Run programming based off the Lydiard school of thought says that you should do lots of long, slow miles early on to build up an aerobic base. Once you've got the base established, you can include more speed-based training.

do you guys run everyday and if so what warm up do you do?

I do 6 days a week. Usually warm up with a half mile jog and then dynamic stretching.

What kind of spikes should I buy for 100m sprints? Do I even need spikes?

Is there a good beginners sprint/hiit program for post-c25k?

Finished marathon today. Feels both goodman.jpg and badman.png

Yes, why are you asking?
Why do you want to sprint?

Good job! How'd it go? Did you bonk? Any plans to race another?

Grats! Please blogpost senpai

>Why do you want to sprint?

He's got a terrible starting position, there's no power where he is. Needs to spread out a bit more and stop trying to pack himself in like the professional sprinters he is trying to copy.

Yes you are so right man haha. that guy is just a wannabee sprinter, i bet he is so slow man haha good spot!
what a poser lmao

I run 5km every day and 10km once a week. My company signed me up for a full marathon in 2 months time. Any training advice from you guys?

Bruh, he's the 400m world record holder, world and olympic champ. He's the first human to go sub 10s in 100m, sub 20s in 200m, sub 33s in 300m and sub 44s in 400m.

Any books about track running?

obliterated

they dun goodf'd

Pray hard

Should I give an acknowledging nod or smile when crossing paths with other runners?

Sometimes feels awkward when someone is running past me alone on a path.

Only if they are not a hobby jogger. Hobby joggers don't deserve respect they deserve disdain

I run long distance all the time because I'm addicted to running. Is sprinting really a good way to build leg muscles? I'm tired of being so slow.

Yes sprinting builds leg muscles but if you just do some half assed sprint sessions on your own you won't get fast.

i just copped nike zoom s8's

the s7s are better

I'm autismo and feel weird if people see me sprinting even though I'm quick and not fat. How do I stop this

This. I tried sprinting at night on campus, but for whatever reason, these middle school kids were walking through there and decided to stand, watch, and clap. I might be slow, but I don't look out of shape. I haven't sprinted since.

I thought the track at daytime would be better, but my sister has reported being stalked by old refugee men when running laps there.

Go early in the morning before people are awake
Find a secluded trail
Get more in the zone and stop giving a shit about others

Motivation to run faster then. Plus they aren't going to hassle you if you're male

Once a Runner is about a miler. Good book IMO

Can someone tell me what type of shoes these are? Figured here would be the best place to ask

reeboks...

post mile PR? just got 5:43 and am p pumped

I ran 3km in 12m30sec yesterday. How good/bad is that?

shitty ass reeboks. Stay away. Go with asics or saucony. Don't cheap out, it will cost you in the long run. Look for the asic nimbus or kayano if you have flat feet. For saucony something like the triumph iso or hurricane if you have flat feet.

>not asking Veeky Forums

what do you mean on your own? You need a trainee or some specific program?

best running shoes under 50?

Going to start in 5k race today for the first time

Best time to date 21:49
Wonder if i can smash this this

not sure if serious, but I'm going for blogpost anyway

excellent weather, borderline cold, +13 C, which is just enough for t-shirt and shorts, though many were already running compression tights or with several layers of shirts on.

First 10km went fine, second 10km a bit faster though it started getting tiring, was holding a bit back with energy reserves because I did not want to crash during 30s. So, 21km around 2.09, a bit slow but comfy and relaxed pace. 25km I start getting tired, with 29th km the slowest one (7min), a few km after I start rising from the dead and increasing speed as finish line gets closer.
The organizers decided that 21km race would start 2 hours later than the actual marathon, so our thin stream of marathoners entered a large mass of halfrunners somewhere around 31km or so. And boy, it did feel good to hear these halfrunnes banter and complain about already making it halfway and how they were "almost there", with me beginning to black a bit with eyesight in the mid 30s...
So, having saved energy during first half, I found myself increasing speed during the last 7-5kms, not wanting to be outdone by halfunners.
Though that last 30 min of higher than total average speed was not enough to get a better time, I'm still happy for getting a time below 4:30.
(crashed hard during 2nd and 3rd marathon, this 4th one went much better)

maybe next marathon I get up to 4:20, and in a year or so I might even reach that 4 hour barrier. or not, I'm somewhat a slow runner, even after years of running.

damm

Got a half marathon today. I'm not prepared at all. I can do maybe 15km at most. Tips for still completing it?

>yfw my best 5k time is 16:10 i ran in an 8k.

take it easy and keep your breathing clear

why the fuck would you join a marathon if you didnt train for it anyway

It is not that I didn't train for it I just didn't train as much as I wanted. I still go to the gym 6x a week and above that 2x running. But I never did a full 21km but I can do 15km.

Another question. Should I take pre-workout before running? If so would it be best to take it a half hour before or just before the beginning?

Just ran this, how am I doing?

take it an hour beforehand and hydrate properly

Preworkouts are generally a lot of caffeine, only take them before interval work or such. I just use caffeine pills now a half hour before. The pwo I use for lifting has beta alanine in it, and I found that feels terrible when running.

I don't use pwo on easy days. I find it makes me run too fast and then I regret it when I'm actually trying to run fast.