SL 5x5 vs SS 3x5

So i've been doing SL 5x5 for a little over a month now, and I was reading up on a thread about stronglifts 5x5 and how the volume (5x5) is a little too much to allow smoother, more sustainable progress over the course of 3-6 (or more) months in comparison to 3x5 which would allow smoother progression - this is what i've gathered from the thread, at least.

My question is, would I be better of doing SS with the 3x5 set/rep scheme over SL to milk as much of my linear gains as possible? I'm at a 70kg squat and i've realised that i'm already starting to find it harder to progress because i'm still sore/a little fatigued by the time my next workout comes around, and it's really messing with my progression to the point where i'm having to lift the same weight 2 squat workouts in a row, THEN add weight on the third workout of the week to see progression; this doesn't seem optimal for a beginner like me, and I've accounted this to the 5x5 scheme, I might be wrong here but I think that's the focal point of my very early plateauing.

Any ideas? Should I just switch to SS instead for more sustainable linear progression? Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.

Do 4 x 5.

DEVILISH

I've had great luck with 4x5 since our coaches first had us start lifting in middle school. Did a massive cut while back and lost a lot of strength have bounced back quite well using 4x5

the main issue I had with stronglifts (which I started out using) is that it says to switch to 3x5 when you stall on your progression. On SS you can just start at 3x5 and progress, so if you think about it there really is no reason to do those extra 2 sets per exercise imo. If you're a true beginner the only thing I would change on SS is getting rid of power cleans all together and just substitute rows or pull ups from the getgo. Powercleans are too hard for complete novices to do without fucking their shit up.

I've decided to go 3x5 on squats and 5x5 on every other exercise apart from dl's.

I ditched squat on day B and started doing 5x5 DL instead. Am I retarded?

Yes.

Thx. Any suggestions? I can't keep doing squats everytime and also feel like DL deserves more attention and is a better excercise to manage my slight back problems.

3x5 for dl is good

Why the fuck would you do a strength routine? Are you fat or autist?

They're both crap but good enough to get your beginner gains. Do them for 3-6 months and then switch to a real program.

Okay, thanks man!

Or he can switch to Madcow which is specifically designed to help with halted squat gains.

SL 5x5 is just a rip off of starting strength that randomly needed to change some variable to make it different.

I started out with 3x5 and I honestly don't know how the hell I would have survived 5x5. I was totally wiped out on squats and bench after 3x5 when it started to get heavy. Stick with Our Blessed Lady, Saint Rippetoe and you should be fine.

Stick with 5x5. When you first have to deload on a lift, switch down to 3x5.

>SL 5x5 is just a rip off of starting strength that randomly needed to change some variable to make it different.

You're an idiot.

Yes goddamit. 3 squat per week. No excuses.

> i'm having to lift the same weight 2 squat workouts in a row, THEN add weight on the third workout of the week to see progression

You're doing it wrong. Always progress from workout to workout unless you fail. You're missing out on gains.

Do as pic related says but without squatting 3 times a week. I'm going from GSLP to this and believe it's a very good alternative. Just started last week though so I can't tell yet, but I like the accessory work.

Jesus fuck stop changing the program. The program is good. Its tried and tested. Just stick with the fucking program and don't be a fucking pussy.

SS doesn't really focus on a program. It just gives a brief example of a workout program. The other 98% of the book is how to properly perform the lifts and some other practical advice. I don't know why people think SS is a program. Practical Programming is the program book.

Pic related. Literally the ONLY example of a routine or program in all of Starting Strength. No mention elsewhere of how many days per week, what kind of split, how many reps and sets etc. This is it.

Now maybe there's something online, but not in the book.