Getting stuck on lifts

So I've been doing SS for about 2 years off and on. Got serious about it this spring/ summer for about 2 months and made good progress, increasing my lifts by about 15%. Then I hit a plateau. I was eating plenty, lots of protein, adequate rest etc but just couldn't make any more progress on anything. I would deload and hit my plateau again.

I took about 9 days off and came back at it but was about 10% down, and spent the next month getting back to where I was. Plateau again, same numbers as last time. I deloaded 10% again and got stuck at this lower plateau. Sonofabitch.

So that's where I am now. Oh and I should mention I've even been using .5lb plates so I can increase my lifts by tiny amounts but even 1lb more on the bar would make me fail my last set. Wondering if I should switch programs. Maybe Texas Method?

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf
startingstrength.com/get-started/programs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Routine
ABxxAxB
Sometimes can only do 3 a week

Squat 250 3x4
DL 360 2x2
Clean 170 4x3
Bench 165 5x5
OHP 110 5x5
Rows 180 5x5
Pull ups 4x6

5'11" 180lbs

Please respond

startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf

Well you are not doing the fucking program for starters. Secondly you should probably do tm if you are stuck

Quit dicking around and just do the program. Dont miss days, dont add other exercises, dont do different sets or rep. And dont fuck with the workout and rest day schedule.

>SS for 2 years
I know you weren't exactly consistent with it, but damn. I'd run SS for a year max, and even that's pushing it. But to answer your question, your solution is explained in the program. If you have to deload 2-3 times without much progress (or any) and you're sure that your diet is in check, then it's time to switch to an intermediate program. As far as which one, it all depends on your goals. If you want to continue doing a similar program as you were until now (full body 3x a week, 5 rep sets, minimalistic, general strength as the goal), then do the Texas Method. If you want hypertrophy, then do PPL or whatever brosplit you want. If you want to get better at powerlifting, then something like Candytoe's 6 Week Program is good.

SS isn't really a program anyway. At least as far as I know. The book has nothing to say about how many days a week, how many sets and reps, how to split workouts etc. Just a single example of a beginner program, with no explanation for any of it. I've just been going with the commonly stated 3-5 reps at 3-5 sets trying to get to the gym 4 days a week.

Thanks, will read.

Thanks, good answer. I think I'll check out Texas Method.

>SS isn't really a program anyway. At least as far as I know. The book has nothing to say about how many days a week, how many sets and reps, how to split workouts etc. Just a single example of a beginner program, with no explanation for any of it. I've just been going with the commonly stated 3-5 reps at 3-5 sets trying to get to the gym 4 days a week.

you didn't read the book

>SS isn't really a program anyway
Bruh
I don't know what book you were reading (maybe it was Practical Programming, that seems to match your description), but SS is very much set in stone. It's done 3 times a week, no more, no less and uses 6 basic exercises, most of them 3x5. If you don't know how the program looks like, here's the exact one from the book:

A:
Squat 3x5
Press/Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5/Power Clean 5x3
B:
Squat 3x5
Press/Bench Press 3x5
Chin ups

You do this 3 times a week on non-consecutive days, alternating the two workouts. This is the last phase of the program where you microload your upper body lifts and do a light squat on Wednesday, the pure beginner version looks a bit different.

This is his routine example, with three paragraphs of buts and ifs. Squats every day is retarded so I don't do that. And squat/ deadlift/ clean all on one day is ridiculous so I break that up and do deadlifts by itself one day.

For reps and sets he says 5 reps is usually a good compromise but anywhere between 1 and 20 will work, just with different results. For number of sets he gives examples of from 1 to 5. So I'm doing what makes the most sense to me. He even has on his example chart, Young Angus McSnort is doing deadlifts every day, either 1x5 or 2x5. This is his example of a program, yet in pic related it has DL once per week. So what actually is his program?

you're not gonna make it dude. just go to bodybuilding.com and pick a brosplit

This isn't in the book Starting Strength (if it is, I'd love to know what pages), but I appreciate your response.

The picture you posted literally shows that exactly, it just includes back extensions and gives a two week example, rather than a template. But if you look at it, it's the same thing as I posted. And you're supposed to perform squats every single workout, that's one of the most important things in the program.

If anyone's still confused or doesn't have the book, here's the summary of the program from the official site:
startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

Thanks that's great.
This is NOT in the book, btw. I don't think it's just a case of me being stupid, the book really isn't very clear and does not go into much detail on the program. The only details given really just add to confusion.

>not in the book
>not me being stupid

If i climbed up your chromosomes and jumped down to your IQ, I'd be a dead man.

YNDTP

If that's not in your book, you're not reading Starting Strength

Not OP but it seems like a good thread to ask. If im not willing to bulk as hard as ripptoe wants should i just do something like SL 5x5 instead ?

It is not. I have a copy right in front of me that I've read front to back and then spent the last hour going through again tonight. The section on programming is pretty slim and 60% of it is kind of rambling. I assure you none of what is in that link is in the paper copy.

English your second language?

You definitely did not read Starting Strength. The programming is literally "Add weight every workout"

Sometimes I'm amazed people like you exist, but then again I realize you're just that guy I've seen doing endless dumbbell and cable shit at my gym for a few months then disappears because it's not working.

its impossible to add weight every workout

No it isn't. You just put it on the bar

You are right. But then i cant lift it anymore.

>dis bait

ok now we know this is a troll thread, everyone abandon ship

im not baiting. Its just really hard for me to add weight to the bar.

Last week i could bench
4x4 57,5kg
Next workout i added 2,5kg (the program even says add 5kg/week)
i could do only
2x4 60kg and had to lower the weight for the last 2 sets.

I sleep 8 hours. I eat 2800 kcal/day. with at least 120g of protein. Twice a week salmon. Various nuts... Vegs and fruits..

no answer?

>So I've been doing SS for about 2 years
There's your problem, didn't even read the rest

gr8 b8t m8t

You're hitting a plateau because you've literally done the same exact routine for 2 years. It's called muscle confusion.

see

no, it's because he's trying to do a linear progression and add muscle while eating this
> I eat 2800 kcal/day. with at least 120g of protein. Twice a week salmon. Various nuts... Vegs and fruits..