/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>dead sport edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspot.sk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq

>helpful blogs:
yashathoughts.com
pentupwl.files.wordpress.com/

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

>youtube stuff:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLfIeSgSBSoCJpz57KfVoqp4K4AeSFAfD
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLotmoPX6Kq0WJH2uws60250m1YTtg3j8Q

>prev thred
idk

I'm having a lot of trouble with my catch on the snatch. I'm usually catching it to forward which completely throws it off, and even when I catch it straight overhead it feels pretty unbalanced.

Would throwing in a few sets of overhead squats at the end of my normal workouts- say 3x10 at a lite weight- help out?

cant say without seeing your snatch

overhead squats help more with other issues, if you're struggling to stick the landing and its falling forward even though it feels like you've got it all the way up to lockout then OH squats won't help a great deal because that's an exercise where you are already at lockout rather than attempting to get there, hang snatches focusing on making the bar travel straight upwards rather than swinging it out in front (which i can reasonably assume is happening to you as its a common reason for the bar to be caught too far out in front) are going to help with that problem

I don't have any videos of my snatch right now, I'll probably make one in the next few days.

Cool, I'll try just doing more hang snatches then. Hang cleans are how I got my power clean down, make sense that's it's help snatch too.

First day at my university's weightlifting club tomorrow.

What to expect?

is this good tech

>can't even drop weights at my school's gym
>actually got in trouble for lowering my light CJs under control because it made too much noise
>literally just lowering 90kg (!!!!) from my hip to the ground was too loud for the staff to handle

Fucking liberal arts colleges. At least I'm on my way to home gym master race.

A uni club sounds fucking sweet, dude. If it's a good group, expect healthy competitiveness and encouragement, and maybe better resources than you find here. If they're cunts than expect pettiness and egoism, and use their butt hurt to fuel your strength. I'm jelly, either way.

What happened, dude? Your powers were looking nice and tight. You have to keep that up in the full squat. Don't do that bouncy bullshit in the hole, you completely unravel. Receive the bar wherever you do and ride it down under control and immediately begin recovery.

Idk stultz it was a bad day and I haven't done full cleans in like a month, was aiming for 80+ CJ but the fact that it was a lazy weekend day and my cleans blow I got cucked

weightlifting

just end me

My shoulders are aching after doing OH squats for the first time this weekend.

Also my right thumb is numb. Have I snapped my shoulders up or will it pass? I'm used to pressing overhead and it doesn't really feel like shoulder DOMS.

I could go for a coffee right about now.

i have never seen anyone worse at this sport than this
yamete
kudosai

>every beginner routine assumes I have snatch mobility
literally why

my right shoulder literally feels like it's ripping apart whenever I attempt even a single proper OHS

snatches are a pipe dream

>kudosai

dont start a program based around weightlifting until you can do the lifts
learn to do them just by practising with an empty bar/stick as often as you can for a while with someone watching or something

don't see why I wouldn't still do c&js

maybe even power snatch

full snatch and OHS of any kind are a no-no though

focus on getting stronger at basic squats, presses and pulls whilst learning the lifts and spending plenty of time in your tight positions
don't push the weights on the competition lifts, i imagine if you cant snatch your clean and jerks must look pretty bad still and have plenty of room to improve technique at light weights

Where can I find Salimi's CJ at Rio?

Listen to pas

I've been lifting around a year and all I did was power snatch. Now I'm having to start almost completely over on my snatch to unlearn a high catch and actually get.mobile

Wish I'd spent several months on that before I started adding weight because this is going to be a frustrating time and probably means I'll either lift well under my best in upcoming comps or not do it at all

Oh well

did 145 and 155 C&Js for the first time ever today at my old uni gym.

they're fucking amazing and easily my favorite lift now.

is it normal for everyone in the gym to stare at your when you jerk? some of these kids (and some mires) were looking at me like they've never seen an OLY lift before.

This, so much this. I had my first meet this saturday, and my god was i bombing my failed lifts. i mean i did 4/6, but not being comfortable in the bottom positions, and not training enough to catch the bar at lower heights has completely fucked me over. I have a good first and second pull, but it doesnt really matter if i cant go under the bar in a controlled, strong manner. I've watched videos of myself countless times, the bar flies way higher than it needs to, and i catch it even higher because im so used to powersnatching/powercleaning (although its a good thing, knowing that with better technique i can quickly increase my total).

TL;DR
>dont get too used to powersnatching/powercleaning at practiceweights, sit the fuck down son (60-80%)

Just do snatch balance, it is literally practicing the catch position. But show us a vid pls.

Somewhere in the bombing wreckage

i wish i could just train full time lads

i kinda of hate my job

and im in a bit of a foul mood

Me 2 bb

i often spend time in my office daydreaming about escaping from the work I do now. I think i've figured it out. I only graduated uni in May, so I still have some time. I just wish I figured things out earlier

yeah I probably shouldn't power snatch

there's another reason for that - if I end up accidentally catching too low, I predict that my rotator cuff will literally fucking explode and I will never lift anything ever again

is it just me or is the jerk the only 'pure power' lift of the three movements?

it doesn't seem to require strength of any kind, unlike the snatch and clean, where you have to be strong enough to lift the weight off the ground and squat it up

do I still need stronk shoulders tho?

of course you still need to be strong with the jerk. basically all of the power in the jerk comes from your lower body

dont die you piece of shit