Obscure Colonizers

I remember reading about the Duchy of Courland's colonization attempt in Africa, and finding it somewhat interesting. Can Veeky Forums tell be about any more obscure/minute colonial powers from the Age of Exploration to the Victorian Era?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couronian_colonization
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how does that even happen

Denmarks holdings in India

they really tried to put some proxy BLACK guilt onto their BLACK sarmatian overlords didn't they

They gave nice curry and rice.

according to st brendan, a band of irish monks including himself set sail across the atlantic and found land before 600AD
although this is most likely a folktale, there as a vivid story about beasts and whatnot which is pretty interesting to read

They were protected as a fiefdom in the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth, which combined with their wealth earned from trading in the Baltic allowed them to finance their own voyages. They did the same in the West Indies too.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couronian_colonization

that makes sense, they get to do crazy ventures not having to worry about neighbors and security

Everyone seems to forget that most of Russia's size came from the colonization of North Asia. I'd wager tankies do so deliberately, since they never include even post-communist Ru$$ia alongside the Jewnited $nake$, Israhell, Klanada et al. in the list of evil settler-colonies deserving of the Posad Special.

De facto Polish colony I guess but I don't know if it qualifies. Same for Tobago.

That's the reason I made the thread, there are so many possible countries that could have become colonial powers. I'm doing research now on per-unification Italy, since a few nations seem to fit most of the established criteria for a colonial power, but to no avail. [spoiler] I guess Venice kinda counts though [/spoiler]

Scotland once tried to colonize Panama for a land connection between the Caribbean and the Pacific. English traders, fearing for potential Scot competition boycotted it. When they tried to raise in other European countries, EIC blocked it as well. So they have to raise money from the people of Scotland itself, which many even to regular guy on the street invested, raised in total like a quarter of all of Scotland's wealth.
After landfall, the usual colonizer dying of diseases ensues. King of England prohibited English and Dutch ships to supply the Scot colony. Spain pissed the Scots building a colony in their turf, sieged them. Total disaster, in the end entire Scotland bankrupted, have to opt for Act of Union with England.

China actually.

Ming/Qing China officially did not practice colonization.

But Chinese merchant families did. In order to gain advantage in the lucrative Southeast Asian trade, Merchant Clans sent their relatives and employees to Southeast Asia to set up trading posts all over the place so as to have a foot in the SEAsian trading scene for the family.

The largest of these were in Borneo, where they became the "Kongsi Republics" named so because they were governed via "Kongsi" or "Clan Hall" meetings in which each family was to send a representative to the Clan Hall which acts as a governing parliament to the colony.

Sweden colonized the area around modern New Jersey/Delaware and sent many poor Finns and Sami to boost the polulation. Eventually, conflict with the Dutch in New York forced them out, but it's fun to think that America could've very well been Finnish. Things like log cabins and certain foods are their legacy here now

>Polish colony
Yeah, we have those in bigger cities. At first the crime rate goes up drastically but Poles assimilate easily, so all is good.

Angry pollack strikes again

>Scotland
Tfw you will never have the United States of Sami-merica

So Scotland

Finnish immigration to the US was mostly to the Upper Midwest, particularly Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

>the area that received the most Finns is a place where nobody lives even today
Some impact

How do Poles assimilate other people? Like the Thing? I guess I don't want to know but if it makes cities safer I guess it works.

then a bunch of Swedes moved into the next state over and brought a bunch of Somalians with them

Nice smartassing. I was using the verb intransitively.

That was in the 19th century though. Finnish settlets were a hotbed for unionization and labor rights in the early 20th century in the region, especially in logging/woodworking.

France attempted to colonize Brazil in the 16th century

BYLISMY KROLOWIE I KURWA

Finns were such hard ass commies that four time presidential candidate of the communist party Gus Hall was Finnish. His parents were born in Lapua.