Is flat bench obsolete to incline Veeky Forums?

Is flat bench obsolete to incline Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/ditch-the-barbell-bench-press
t-nation.com/training/building-a-bodybuilder-chest
youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU&ab_channel=70'sBig
stronglifts.com/bench-press/wrists/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've switched to incline recently to try it out, I prefer it.

Have you noticed differences in development?

too early to say right now, only changed a couple of weeks ago.

I recently have replaced my flat bench with flat dumbbell bench. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to this? It just feels more comfortable benching with dumbbells. Maybe I just need to work on my barbell form idk.

It doesn't hurt to do both.

And close grip. You can't leave close grip out.

I've noticed this as well, probably due to the increase in range of motion?

This is what I do. Feels amazing compared to normal bench, plus I can give it my all without fear of not having a spotter

Incline and Flat have different purposes. Two distinct parts of the pectorals. Incline works the clavicular portion. It'll increase the "cleavage" for the chest. Flat bench works more of the sternocostal head.

There are better exercises than both for chest development.

Pressing movements are good for getting better at pressing; very indirectly for aesthetics.

Newfag here, should my incline lifts be higher or lower than my flat bench?

lower

Do you have a legitmate source for that information? Dr. Roidhead from bodybuilding.com doesn't count.

Decline > Flat > Incline > OHP

The real question is is there any point to decline bench.
>inb4 lower pecs

>replacing one movement with another

this sums up everything that is wrong about modern weightlifting

>lists actual anatomy
>calls him broscientist

You guys are not gonna make it if you keep doing dumbbells INSTEAD of barbells. Remember to do both.

Cmon you can't just tell me this and not say what the better exercises are. Is this fine for me?
>Bench Press
>Incline Bench Press
>Dumbell Flys superset with Dumbbell bench
>Incline Dumbell Flys
>Cable Fly's
Is that acceptable?

moar chest

All three on the same day? Or alternating somehow?

Why not?

better activation of the whole chest in general

this is retarded. no press, no chest

DO BOTH
O

B
O
T
H

I've always done close grip flat bench, I'm just now starting to do wide grip and it feels really awkward on my hands. I've heard that wide grip is supposed to be easier though due to less range of motion.

My close grip flat bench is 245x5 so I wonder what I could do with a wider grip once I get used to it.

Any advice on helping the hand thing though?

Here

I disagree with that. You're getting more Anterior Serratus work which is a connector to the pectorals rather than the pectoral itself.

It's also placing a stronger emphasis on the lower portion of the pectorals. Fibre and/or sarcomere development will be more prominent in that area.

It's not that easy for me to tell you do "x." It depends on what you're after, what's lagging (if anything) and specific development.

As a general, I'd recommend a closed dumbbell press. The bells are placed together length wise, elbows in at the sides. Then you press upwards making sure to both pull your chest in as in a fly motion while pushing upwards.

It takes a lot of the pressure off of the shoulders and triceps, specifically working the chest more. You can do any variation of this at flat, incline, decline.

You can also do "L Flyes." You elbows stay at either 90 or 60 degrees and you do flyes. It's not as good as the first exercise, but in keeping the angles together, it's less stressful on the cortical brachialis (bicep) and the anterior deltoid (front shoulder).

>that grip

Dumb bell will work better for isolation. If one arm is weaker then dumb bells will help get that strength

For all around I do close grip decline and standing ohp. But I'm 6'8 with 6'10 wingspan so normal bench hurts my shoulders when I work in high volume. Decline is for reps with a pause at the bottom because it's too easy to bounce it.

If you post this without a source or any logic/reason you're a fag that will never make it.

I'm not calling you a broscientist. I actually appreciated your use of anatomy. I was just asking for a source on this.

I like to do flat barbell and then incline dumbbell later on

yes

That was someone else but here you go:

t-nation.com/training/ditch-the-barbell-bench-press

- Regarding decline, the barbell itself being marginal, etc.

t-nation.com/training/building-a-bodybuilder-chest

-Regarding the function and specific anatomy of the muscle along with fibre recruitment myths.

If you want PubMed journals, you'll have to do the digging. But think of it this way. Even if you remain skeptical of everything I stated and the sources, give it a shot and see for yourself.

If you're not gaining size/mass/strength what you're doing currently doesn't work and you should look to experiment to see what does work.

Do both. Fuck decline.

Jesus t-nation has gone to shit. You can have any whacky opinion and find it verified by some quack on that site.

Sure you could find some study that says Dumbbells activate the chest 10% more but it's harder to achieve progressive overload with them.

>feet up
>no barbell
>stay exclusively in a high rep range.

No thanks

>Suicide grip

I know you can't be fucked but this shot means nothing if you can't find the scientific articles.

I do heavy bench and higher volume dips and my chest development is fine but chest in particular is largely due to genetics

It's interesting, even the most of autistic barbell lovers, rippetoe himself, says dumbbell bench is better than barbell for anyone besides a powerlifter.

doing close grip really upped my flat bench game. i guess my triceps were lagging.

DB bench is great for getting a better contraction and possibly less shoulder discomfort since you're not locked into a rigid position. it also works stabilizer muscles more.

The holy trinity God: flat bench, OHP and dips
Of course you can't ask for gains from the holy trinity all the time, they get tired of you and might put you in plato so you gotta ask for a saint to help you out for a while. The saint is Incline b

So I just switched from incline dumbbell to incline barbell. I lift alone and don't have a spotter. I have a weird shoulder and am a bit worried, people keep telling me that unracking the barbell on incline alone puts your shoulder at risk over the longterm

I don't want to fuck up my shoulder any further, should I just keep doing Dumbbells?

I didn't say follow what it said to do. Guy wanted references on chest function and fibre recruitment.

Not using the barbell is actually highly useful for chest development. Just don't expect a flat barbell press of lmao3plt.

Higher repetition range is useful for sarcomeric hypertrophy if that's what you're after. Note this doesn't mean Crossfit nonsense or doing 30 repetitions of an exercise. Higher denotes 8-12.

Lastly, what you said about not being able to achieve progressive overload with dumbbells is absolute nonsense. They do make fractionals for dumbbells for higher weights and most gyms go in increments of 2.5 for the lesser.

I also agree with you that a lot of the advice on T-nation is absolute quackery.

How do u know if there thumbs havent been cut off?

I stalled hard on barbell bench and moved over to dumbbells a month and a half ago and I've never looked back

In my experience its far more difficult to keep tight form using dumbbells for benching so that helped me increase form and increases in strength naturally followed

LOL ive gotten more chest development from, OHP, Dips and pushups, but i blame the higher volume of which i workout my muscles and the fact that you need more stability for push ups and dips

You to flat for mid chest
Incline of top of chest
Why the fuck would you replace one with the either ? are you in that much of a rush to get out of gym?

Incline engages shoulders more. Flat bench should be the core of your chest exercise, incline should be ancillary.

>OHP
DYEL detected.

I do both (alternate each Push day). Dumb bells are great for developing your stabilizers and can prevent the muscular imbalances that can happen on the barbell.

Pic please

I do flat bench and dumbbell bench press. It has made my OHP and bench jump straight up.

For those of you on SS or SL, do it on OHP day so you can work your pecs every session

No, the way you fix worrying about your shoulder is an eazy 2-step solution
Step 1:NEVER train "cold". Do shoulder stretches/warmup (starting stretches or 5 min arm bike)
Step 2:start doing rotator cuff exercises ya dummy. Gotta work on your small muscles because you're gonna get huge swole and need those small muscles to hold together the big swole muscles well. They got rotator cuff dumbbell PT routines, recommend doing one of those using cable machines for easy weight + safety

T. Labrum tear victim, only been back from snap city for 2 months
>mfw after 2 months of 4+ days a week training only just managed to hit .5 pl8 bench without a sharp pain in my shoulder ;~;

obsolete to?

why are you guys feeling OHP in your chest? for me it's all shoulders what am I doing wrong

It's supposed to be. It's primarily a shoulder and upper back exercise.

This is how I teach people to properly do OHP. Just review your form real quick.

>stand in front of the bar
>roll shoulders back, chest up, back straight, hands at sides
>bring your hands straight upwards
>that is your grip width
>bulldog grip, middle finger joint (between tip of finger and where the finger is attached to the hand) faces the ceiling
>bring shoulders forward and consciously keep them forward so the elbow is always under the wrist
>squeeze lats and keep them squeezed (keeps your elbows from splaying out)
>unrack
>feet shouldn't be too wide or two narrow
>this allows you to clench your butt cheeks
>also remember to clench abs

at this point your forearms should be parallel lines in the mirror, not going outwards or inwards

>touch the bar to your chin a few times
>move the bar to your chin
>move head out the way but keep it close to the bar
>when it passes your head, duck your head down and flex your upper back like a shrug to lockout
>put your mind in your elbow and bring your elbows down first to prevent you resetting your position with the elbows behind your elbows

this video really helped me out. I used to have so many problems and misinterpretations with the press and at one point thought it was a standing incline press.
youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU&ab_channel=70'sBig

holy fucking shit thank you
I fucked up every single part about the movement, starting with a way too wide grip, no proper hand position etc
now to explain that everything I told my gymbro was utter bullshit

***put your mind in your elbow and bring your elbows down first to prevent you resetting your position with the elbows behind your **WRISTS**

Yeah, bulldog grip is important because you're supposed to do the exact same hand position with bench too.

stronglifts.com/bench-press/wrists/

You fucking neckbeards neckbearding over this shit. Just get strong at some form of horizontal and vertical pushing through whatever means make sense to you. Anyone who endeavors to more than this is a complete fucking imbecile.